Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my question - is cheating on the SAT illegal?

I know it will get you disqualified on your college app, but is it a crime?

Not rhetorical question - I really don't know and am asking.

I know bribery is a crime, but the kids weren't the ones making a bribe.

jmo

Cheating on a SAT is not illegal in itself, but if you use the fake scores in an application for something valuable (such as a job or a position somewhere) then it becomes fraud, and that is illegal.

It sort of the same as pretending that you are richer than you really are. That is not a crime. But it becomes a crime when you use your pretend wealth to secure a loan from a bank.

Well....how did they suppose that money would be spent if they were told it was going into a bogus donation fund, and which they agreed with? That in itself was unlawful wasn't it?

No. They would have to know specifically what the money was going to be used for and agree to it. If Singer presented himself as a sort of lobbyist for example, and did not explain what exactly the money was going to be used for then the parents would not have done anything wrong, only Singer would have done something wrong.

Are they going to try to argue that they thought Singer's company was actually benefiting other students?

Wouldn't that make them look incredibly careless with their $500,000? I know I always had to have sound proof of cash charitable donations at my meager level. I have to think a one page note "Thank you for your generous $500,000 donation this year to my charity" is not going to be the least bit credible, especially when the IRS looks at their prior history of charitable donations.

They have what sounds like a very high-level (and therefor very expensive) legal team. I expect an awful lot of improbable bleats of innocence. I guess she's thinking this can be a Hallmark movie about unjustly charged devoted and concerned parents.

The way it worked they donated to a charity which then dispensed funds to vary sporting programs within the university. So there would be the necessary paperwork to claim the donation.

Was there even an accountability system to these admissions? Did the coaches have a roster of all of their names or did the fake participants just disappear from notice without action from the coaches? Is this what Singer knew- that only a few coaches / trainers needed to be paid off and no one else any higher up?

Certainly coaches would have easily seen that names on their roster never showed up or if they did, were clearly not qualified or interested. I have a feeling that there was a lot of "one of those again" shoulder shrugging and that coaches understood something like this went on but didn't want to put their jobs on the line to report it to USC administration.

I assume there was no requirement for them to account for the progress or continued academic competency of these participants, unlike the big money sports like football and basketball where it really paid to keep an academically poor but sportwise excellent player in the roster.

I think USC Administration must have accountability for ALL these students to fulfill the honor that was given them for their outside academic "accomplishments"

They were recruits, they did not have scholarships. If they had scholarships the University would have kept track of them and require them to participate in the sport, since the University is paying for them to be there. But a recruit pays their own way, so if they choose to, they might never participate in the sport once at the University, or at least not on the University's team. The University has the hope that people with suitable experience would participate in their programs, that is why those sorts of people are recruited, but there is no obligation for the student to actually do that. They are not on a scholarship and they are not slaves, the University has no leverage over them

So true. Tori Spelling owes $100,000's of thousands of dollars to creditors, there was even a bench warrant out for her arrest. Instead, she will go to her lawyer's office next week.

Gal in our town bounced a few checks, less than $1,000 total, her mug shot is in the local paper, already in jail for three months.

The rich are treated differently.

They are not treated differently, they have the money to hire people who know the rules. The lady in your town likely did not, so the prosecutor was the only one who knew the rules, which means that she loses.

I can sort of understand this. Sort of. As someone who didn't grow up in the US and wasn't familiar with the college application process either (until my eldest went through it a few years ago), it's all new and unknown and you have no idea what's normal and what's not.

But. When you get designated a soccer recruit when you don't play soccer, and have to pay an exorbitant amount of money just to get in, on top of the tuition, red flags should have gone up - if not with the student, then with her family.

MOO

Not necessarily. You are looking at it from your cultural perspective. People in other parts of the world see things differently, and where she came from that might be normal.

They are not treated differently, they have the money to hire people who know the rules. The lady in your town likely did not, so the prosecutor was the only one who knew the rules, which means that she loses.

How come we haven't seen Lori Loughlin's mug shot? Every other criminal's mug is available...

Sounds like special treatment to me.

I think with the mug shot it has something to do with a federal crime vs state crime, but.....don't quote me on that!!!! In other news....

USC Women's Rowing on Twitter

This tweet from the USC crew team did not age well

https://nypost.com/2019/05/06/this-tweet-from-the-usc-crew-team-did-not-age-well/

No rowing experience? No worries, according to a posting for the University of Southern California’s crew team that appears to have foreshadowed the college admissions scandal.

“Want to become a Division I athlete? Look into joining our Trojan Rowing Family,” USC Women’s Rowing posted on its official Twitter account in August 2018.

“No previous rowing experience necessary,” it added, providing fodder for sarcastic comments after Lori Loughlin and her hubby Mossimo Giannulli were accused of paying $500,000 to get their daughters into the school as competitive rowing recruits — even though neither was an athlete.

Another laminated poster obtained by TMZ for this year’s fall season tryout reads: “No experience? No problem.”

“Yes, it’s missing how much will it cost you?” user @magdalena1914 tweeted in response along with laughing emojis.

Why Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin’s Mug Shots Probably Won’t Be Released

Why Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin's Mug Shots Probably Won't Be Released

A spokesperson for the Department of Justice confirmed to TheWrap that mug shots are only released by the U.S. Marshals “under very specific circumstances that do not apply here,” and that the ones for Huffman and Loughlin will not be released.

“In the Central District of California, it would be very uncommon for the federal Marshals to distribute a mug shot to the public,” one criminal defense attorney told us, backing the DOJ’s answer.

That is consistent with the U.S. Marshals’ stated policy, which can be found in full here.

“It is USMS policy to release photographs of fugitives or other prisoners only for law enforcement purposes,” it reads.

“When a fugitive has not yet been captured, the Task Forces and district offices may determine whether a law enforcement purpose would be served by release of photographs to the media or public,” the policy continues. “Once a prisoner has been arrested, the general rule is that no release should be made because release of photographs of that prisoner to the media or public would not serve law enforcement purposes.”

Maybe mug shots are not always released but you can almost always find them online...unless you are special...

Stephen Semprevivo, an executive at Cydcor, a “privately held provider of outsourced sales teams,” has agreed to plead guilty to conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud.

Semprevivo would become the third parent and eighth overall defendant in the "Varsity Blues" scandal to plead guilty in court. Another 11 parents have agreed to plead guilty and have hearings later this month.

Prosecutors say Semprevivo wrote a $400,000 check from his family trust to a sham nonprofit operated by Singer in April 2016 after his son was admitted into Georgetown. They say a portion of the money was then paid to then-tennis coach Gordon Ernst, who had designated the son as a Georgetown tennis player to facilitate his entry even though he knew didn't play the sport competitively.

The Justice Department has recommended Semprevivo receive a prison sentence of 18 months. They've also recommended a fine of $95,000, one year of supervision after his release and that he pay an undetermined amount of restitution and forfeiture. His case goes before U.S. District Court Judge Indira Talwani, who will decide whether to accept the plea agreement.

Tennis player who never played: Dad to plead guilty for $400K bribe to get son into Georgetown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceciliaesquivel2000@yahoo