Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 - #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope she's learned something through this, saying her daughter has learning disabilities?? So what??

Well, on the bright side it exonerates the daughter of having been "in on it" because if so, there's nothing unusual about said daughter asking for extra test-taking time (a point of contention and confusion for quite a few individuals I think); nor does it necessarily mean that said daughter knew what was happening.

Well, on the bright side it exonerates the daughter of having been "in on it" because if so, there's nothing unusual about said daughter asking for extra test-taking time (a point of contention and confusion for quite a few individuals I think); nor does it necessarily mean that said daughter knew what was happening.

I agree that the learning disabled persons are given extra time and accommodated in other ways at times.

My concern is two fold; that her daughter would be well aware that she has struggled in the past due to learning disabilities and being put into a prestigious university would not help her stress levels. IMO, most learning disabled persons are well aware of the inherent problems even with the accommodations.

The second? That Mom felt she was so inadequate that she could not 'cut it' on her own. Not to a prestigious university but in life in general. There are loads of other ways to get an education that leads to a fruitful and happy adulthood without 'insulting' your own child.

I feel very bad for these young women, if its all true. Cant imagine having parents who have such little faith in you.

Felicity seems to think that 'getting into' the university is the hard part!

IF her daughter is learning disabled, how is she supposed to cope with the course requirements, other than the accommodations made for her?

What is so bad about going to a 'lower' level education where one can cope with the course load, yet get a good, fruitful education?? I'm using the word 'lower' not meaning to upset anyone but we have Community Colleges with wonderful courses. Anyone can apply to go there.

This was about 'prestige' not education. IMO

All colleges have offices of disability that honor accommodations based on diagnoses by a doctor or an IEP with testing within the last 2-3 years. For many students with disabilities, accommodations like extended time or materials detailed ahead of time (ie a detailed syllabus) can make the student successful at many schools. At many colleges, students with accommodations may have to reapply each year. The students are given a card which they present to professors privately to have access the options marked on the card.

It is often not about coping with the workload but rather having access to the tools that support classroom success. The same as with a person with a physical disability where they don't have the ability to take notes might need a note-taker or a note taking pen but they can fully understand the material, have the capacity to write the papers or take the tests but don't have the ability to write. Students with LD don't necessarily need lower stakes curriculum or easier curriculum.

I am a proponent of all colleges-- 2 year, 4 year and all levels of challenge for students.

It is important to remember that a learning disability is not necessarily an intellectual issue thereby precluding a student from challenging colleges or curriculum. An accommodation does not mean that the curriculum is dumbed down or that the student is incapable of doing it--- it reflects a deficit that can be addressed through a mechanism.

These parents didn't think their kids could compete. These were students in schools that were competitive, so when some mock the skills it is often unfair as they had great curriculum offered, small classes, and were probably given lots of advantages. Some of these students had they been coming from Iowa or North Dakota might well have gotten into the competitive schools with their grades and scores b/c many east coast and west coast schools look for geographic diversity.

If in fact someone has diagnosed learning disabilities, they are entitled to an education to age 21. She would get support in a college setting as well.
Yes and no to this. If she had an IEP that ends at time of graduation. She would have to know to advocate for herself for accommodations in the college setting through a 504 plan and the support provided in college can vary.

I agree that the learning disabled persons are given extra time and accommodated in other ways at times.

My concern is two fold; that her daughter would be well aware that she has struggled in the past due to learning disabilities and being put into a prestigious university would not help her stress levels. IMO, most learning disabled persons are well aware of the inherent problems even with the accommodations.

The second? That Mom felt she was so inadequate that she could not 'cut it' on her own. Not to a prestigious university but in life in general. There are loads of other ways to get an education that leads to a fruitful and happy adulthood without 'insulting' your own child.

I feel very bad for these young women, if its all true. Cant imagine having parents who have such little faith in you.

The idea behind accommodations is that the student can do the work based on an opportunity to get structural supports. LD students are aware of the kinds of supports that will level the field for them. It is unfair to discuss their disability as an inherent problem or assume that an environment, class or opportunity is too stressful. Yes, a disability presents a challenge but, given the supports needed, students can be successful. Their accommodations are not public and accessed if the student chooses to do so. In fact, many colleges have taken some accommodations and made them best practices to benefit all students (detailed syllabi with clear expectations, rubrics for assignments, promoting use of the writing center/tutoring center/peer tutoring to all students).

Last edited:
Yes and no to this. If she had an IEP that ends at time of graduation. She would have to know to advocate for herself for accommodations in the college setting through a 504 plan and the support provided in college can vary.

Some students may have a disability and IEP that covers their public high school placement until 21. The guarantee is not a college placement but a public high school program placement.

Colleges will accept an IEP if the last full evaluation was within a 2 year time frame. Yes, students have to go to the Office of Accessibility at their college with their documentation to request accommodations. Students do not have to request as it is their choice. The school has the prerogative of what kinds of accommodations they will accept, although most IEP accommodations are accepted by many schools.

Little known to many is that if there are entrance tests for placements, students with IEPs or other garnered accommodations can use their accommodations for the tests if they meet with the Office of Accessibility before and meet the criteria.

Hm, My best friend’s daughter was entitled to accommodations. I thought all kids with IEPs could get help in college.

My friend’s daughter graduated with a Master’s Degree.

JFK Sr had learning disabilities. Many well known people have learning disabilities.

Hm, My best friend’s daughter was entitled to accommodations. I thought all kids with IEPs could get help in college.

My friend’s daughter graduated with a Master’s Degree.

JFK Sr had learning disabilities. Many well known people have learning disabilities.
She can get accommodations in college however it is not guaranteed. IEP's are only until they graduate or reach the age of 22 (21 and 364 days... but most schools allow them to continue to June of that academic year). https://www.understood.org/en/schoo...chool/are-there-ieps-and-504-plans-in-college . This gives some insight about college aged students in need of accommodations. I'm a SPED teacher in California and we have transition plans starting at the age of 14. We talk to our students about advocating for their needs and making future plans.

She can get accommodations in college however it is not guaranteed. IEP's are only until they graduate or reach the age of 22 (21 and 364 days... but most schools allow them to continue to June of that academic year). https://www.understood.org/en/schoo...chool/are-there-ieps-and-504-plans-in-college . This gives some insight about college aged students in need of accommodations. I'm a SPED teacher in California and we have transition plans starting at the age of 14. We talk to our students about advocating for their needs and making future plans.

From your info:

Students can still receive accommodations in college, though. Colleges have to provide accommodations under Section 504

From your info:

Students can still receive accommodations in college, though. Colleges have to provide accommodations under Section 504
The difference being is that an IEP follows the student from grade to grade/ school to school and is a legally binding document. Once they are college age they must advocate for it themselves. It does not transfer. This is why it is important to have conversations with our students about advocating for their needs.

The difference being is that an IEP follows the student from grade to grade/ school to school and is a legally binding document. Once they are college age they must advocate for it themselves. It does not transfer. This is why it is important to have conversations with our students about advocating for their needs.

I was replying to the idea that the daughter should not go to a school such as USC.

Does she have a diagnosed Learning disability? If so, she would get help. To me, Felicity would know that so I wonder if in fact the child is actually diagnosed

I was replying to the idea that the daughter should not go to a school such as USC.

Does she have a diagnosed Learning disability? If so, she would get help. To me, Felicity would know that so I wonder if in fact the child is actually diagnosed
Thanks for the clarification. I also wonder if her child has a documented learning disability. I would think that she and her daughter would know how to get help, especially seeing as they had their eyes on USC.

Thanks for the clarification. I also wonder if her child has a documented learning disability. I would think that she and her daughter would know how to get help, especially seeing as they had their eyes on USC.

Many people who have their kids in private schools don't keep up/maintain their IEPs or 504s because they have to go back to their public school or the school provides supports so they feel no need. You would think they would know the drill. It is just so sad that FH didn't trust what could be for her daughter.

From your info:

Yes, if kid has a documented learning disability college would have to provide accommodations such as extra time on the exams.

Yes, if kid has a documented learning disability college would have to provide accommodations such as extra time on the exams.

The difference is that accommodations in college are based on ADA law, not IDEA, which mandates accommodations. Usually kids in transition, are working with a rehabilitation counselor, and the team, negotiates with the college disability resource center on specifics.

But yes, the difference is that the student is an adult and has to specify what accommodations are requested, with evidence to support the request. As a child, the burden is on the school to do the assessment, provide evidence, and the accommodations.

"Laura Janke, 36, has agreed to cooperate with prosecutors and could be called to testify against others, including "Full House" star Loughlin and Giannulli, who have pleaded not guilty." Coach pleads to college admissions scam, could hurt Loughlin

There is no Full House plot line that can help her now.

Lori should have taken the plea before the extra charges were leveled. Between the emails, the high school's counselor testifying, the tapes, and this woman testifying, Lori is set to spend a good amount of time behind bars. Damn!

The idea behind accommodations is that the student can do the work based on an opportunity to get structural supports. LD students are aware of the kinds of supports that will level the field for them. It is unfair to discuss their disability as an inherent problem or assume that an environment, class or opportunity is too stressful. Yes, a disability presents a challenge but, given the supports needed, students can be successful. Their accommodations are not public and accessed if the student chooses to do so. In fact, many colleges have taken some accommodations and made them best practices to benefit all students (detailed syllabi with clear expectations, rubrics for assignments, promoting use of the writing center/tutoring center/peer tutoring to all students).

Steven Hawkings, amazing how he was able to learn and continue learning through life. And he grew up in a time where disabilities weren't supported and Technologies were not as they are now.

Exactly, if she truly had learning disabilities they would have been diagnosed early on. I know, we went through this with my son who had mild ADD and a “listening” disorder. At least that’s what we learned after going through trying to figure it out from the the age of 7 up through his mid teens. From one diagnostician to another, trying to get him the help he needed.
I rather think, and hope, things are much more advanced now than they were back then. Btw, he got no special treatment in college, no idea such a thing existed, so maybe it didn’t. This was back in, oh.... 2002 or 2003? He went first two years to a community college then finished at a four year state college.
Shame on these self entitled elitists to think their children should be given special privileges over others. They make me sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lawdaughter222