Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 - #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Laura Janke, 36, has agreed to cooperate with prosecutors and could be called to testify against others, including "Full House" star Loughlin and Giannulli, who have pleaded not guilty." Coach pleads to college admissions scam, could hurt Loughlin

There is no Full House plot line that can help her now.

Lori should have taken the plea before the extra charges were leveled. Between the emails, the high school's counselor testifying, the tapes, and this woman testifying, Lori is set to spend a good amount of time behind bars. Damn!

I wonder if LL has lived such an easy and charmed life, that she’s never had any repercussions for her actions.
Perhaps she has always gotten everything she wants, and gotten away with everything she’s ever done.
Strange if she was raised Catholic, did she never do confession? I think if so, it’s been a long, long time, maybe too long.

Steven Hawkings, amazing how he was able to learn and continue learning through life. And he grew up in a time where disabilities weren't supported and Technologies were not as they are now.

Stephen Hawking had physical illness from an early onset ALS but I do not believe he was learning disabled.

He did blame 'progressive' programs at an elementary school for him having difficulty learning to read.

However, the whole family were very academic, put a high value on education and he did very well once he got to higher education levels.

He was a brilliant man, trapped in a paralysed body, during a time of assistive devices that allowed him to communicate. To live with paralysis for approx. 50 years is nothing short of a miracle.

I rather think, and hope, things are much more advanced now than they were back then. Btw, he got no special treatment in college, no idea such a thing existed, so maybe it didn’t. This was back in, oh.... 2002 or 2003? He went first two years to a community college then finished at a four year state college.
Bolded By Me
Accommodations do not equal special treatment. Reasonable accommodations modify the learning environment necessitated by an individual's disability-related limitations, absent undue hardship on the institution.

Last edited:
Steven Hawkings, amazing how he was able to learn and continue learning through life. And he grew up in a time where disabilities weren't supported and Technologies were not as they are now.

Hawking was not diagnosed until he was about 21. And, it is important to note that assistive technologies allowed for his brilliance to be unlocked for all of our benefit. Further, many of the technologies that we all routinely use were developed first for those who need and benefit from accommodations.

"Fortunately, Hawking lived in a time when researchers were rapidly developing electronic technology to assist people with physical limitations in achieving increased independence."

"Tech solutions, all of which are part of everyday 21st-century life, are used to overcome physical limitations imposed by functional disabilities. From complex solutions used by well-known people—such as the late Christopher Reeve’s use of a high-tech wheelchair—to simpler ones like screen magnifiers on our computers and speech recognition “voice commands” on our smartphones, technology makes some tasks easier." https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/stephen-hawking-as-accidental-ambassador-for-assistive-technologies/

Bolded By Me
Accommodations do not equal special treatment. Reasonable accommodations modify the learning environment necessitated by an individual's disability-related limitations, absent undue hardship on the institution.
Whatever one wants to call it, we didn’t ask, we didn’t expect it, it wasn’t made known to us that it was available, and he didn’t get it. He just worked harder.

Exactly, if she truly had learning disabilities they would have been diagnosed early on. I know, we went through this with my son who had mild ADD and a “listening” disorder. At least that’s what we learned after going through trying to figure it out from the the age of 7 up through his mid teens. From one diagnostician to another, trying to get him the help he needed.
I rather think, and hope, things are much more advanced now than they were back then. Btw, he got no special treatment in college, no idea such a thing existed, so maybe it didn’t. This was back in, oh.... 2002 or 2003? He went first two years to a community college then finished at a four year state college.
Shame on these self entitled elitists to think their children should be given special privileges over others. They make me sick.

I believe the help did exist.

The criteria kept getting tighter and tighter for getting extra help. I think it was based on money .

In MN when PL94-142 was passed, 10% of kids got help.

The Feds said, “ No way!”

I think it went to 3% and when I left teaching, it was something like 2%.

Getting special needs services is easier in some schools than others. If there were not many kids getting services, it seemed to me the criteria was more lax. In a school with lots of needs, the criteria was stringent.

There are many tests and interventions before a child can get help with the official IEP.

As a regular teacher, I had to carry out interventions to see if things might change with a different approach.

A regular teacher in MN is required to have some special ed classes but not enough, as far as I am concerned, because the understanding of needs is so complex

Olivia Jade's High School Counselor to be Called as Witness After Altercation With Dad Mossimo Giannulli (Exclusive)

An initial status conference is set for June 3rd. Olivia Jade's former high school counselor will be summonsed when it eventually goes to trial.

Lori Loughlin estranged from daughter Olivia Jade, still thinks she doesn't deserve prison for alleged college scam involvement

"While the fact she could serve time never leaves her mind, she strongly believes she doesn’t deserve to. She truly feels it was all a misunderstanding."

Georgetown student, confronted with college admissions scam allegations, sues university

Georgetown University moved to dismiss and rescind the admission of two students who were connected to the national college admissions scam. One of those students, Adam Semprevivo, filed a lawsuit hours earlier to prevent Georgetown from expelling him and to keep the credits he says he earned while studying so that he could transfer to a new school.

His father, Stephen Semprevivo, pleaded guilty last week to a federal conspiracy fraud charge. He admitted to paying $400,000 to get his son into Georgetown under the guise of a tennis recruit. Prosecutors agreed to recommend that he be sentenced to 18 months in prison.

LL can’t really believe this is all a misunderstanding...not in her heart/head, though she may be convincing herself of it. She must be so used to having things her way, having her opinions count, that she may not believe she is not automatically believed...but she can’t really believe this is just a misunderstanding...unless she is fully delusional.

LL can’t really believe this is all a misunderstanding...not in her heart/head, though she may be convincing herself of it. She must be so used to having things her way, having her opinions count, that she may not believe she is not automatically believed...but she can’t really believe this is just a misunderstanding...unless she is fully delusional.
I think she really might be delusional, oh not in a mental illness capacity, but due to her narcissism. You know, she’s just so “special”, there’s no doubt she believes she should be allowed to do anything she wants without consequence. SMH

Haha, they should just fade away into obscurity instead of bringing attention to themselves

Georgetown kicks out two students in college cheating scandal hours after one of them sues university

Now, that is definitely chutzpah. It is your fault that I cheated to get in. Huh?

From the article:

The announcement defies Semprevivo’s lawsuit, filed hours earlier, which seeks to bar Georgetown from imposing any academic discipline against him and blames the school for not properly vetting his application documents......

Semprevivo, who just completed his junior year, claims Georgetown has accepted more than $200,000 in tuition from his family despite knowing since 2017 that former tennis coach Gordon Ernst had violated university policies regarding the recruitment of student athletes. It was Ernst who recommended Semprevivo’s admission as a top tennis player.

Olivia Jade's High School Counselor to be Called as Witness After Altercation With Dad Mossimo Giannulli (Exclusive)

An initial status conference is set for June 3rd. Olivia Jade's former high school counselor will be summonsed when it eventually goes to trial.

Lori Loughlin estranged from daughter Olivia Jade, still thinks she doesn't deserve prison for alleged college scam involvement

"While the fact she could serve time never leaves her mind, she strongly believes she doesn’t deserve to. She truly feels it was all a misunderstanding."

Lori Loughlin had better bring herself down to earth and quickly. Once money changes hands, its no longer a misunderstanding. She seems to be her own worst enemy. smh

Haha, they should just fade away into obscurity instead of bringing attention to themselves
Very true. Objectively thinking, quiet anonymity would be by far the best choice.

The student probably has access to the resources to pay tuition costs at another pricey school and could well have the grades to be accepted with out bribes. Such a school would probably not have Georgetown's name appeal, but I doubt it would be "Unknown U" either. The fact that Georgetown is a private school and thus can make fully private decisions regarding student retention only makes the lawsuit that much more unsustainable.

On interesting thing is that he maintains that Georgetown knew that his status as an admitted student was uhmm......"irregular" for two years, but took action only after the scandal became public. This could well indicate that somebody besides the tennis coach was benefiting from "special donations".

Last edited:
So, if Georgetown knew that Ernst was not having recruits playing on the team, why did they think Ernst was recommending them for admissions? Seems like the college choose not to follow up and see where this lead......criminal activity. Others at Georgetown should be fired at the very least.

I guess we will see what this lawsuit unearths.

"The Voice claims that the university began the investigation because of the noticeable absence of Ernst’s “recruits” on his team. They wanted to know why they never played once they got to campus.

After Ernst was dismissed from Georgetown University, he was hired as the tennis coach at the University of Rhode Island. At URI, Ernst was indicted in the nationwide college admissions scandal. According to a URI spokesman, Georgetown never let URI know about their internal investigation into Ernst."

Adam Semprevivo: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

The truth is that attending a university that has a higher expectation of student base knowledge and skills is really a situation of "set up for fail" for students who are not prepared for an academic environment that is accelerated.

What were these parents thinking? Why would anyone set up their kids like that? Which could be why the Georgetown student was caught cheating, he couldn't keep up...he never should have been in that environment to begin with...

The truth is that attending a university that has a higher expectation of student base knowledge and skills is really a situation of "set up for fail" for students who are not prepared for an academic environment that is accelerated.

What were these parents thinking? Why would anyone set up their kids like that? Which could be why the Georgetown student was caught cheating, he couldn't keep up...he never should have been in that environment to begin with...

Evidently, Semiprevivo had a 3.18 at Georgetown and a 4.0+ in high school, according to Heavy.com (linked in another post). Do you have a link to where Semiprevivo was accused of cheating other to get in?

The truth is that attending a university that has a higher expectation of student base knowledge and skills is really a situation of "set up for fail" for students who are not prepared ....

What were these parents thinking? Why would anyone set up their kids like that?

Some of the parents may have been thinking of olde school tradition of "gentleman's 'Cs' " in the liberal arts.

This would especially be so if the university is private because private schools can make private decisions on who they admit and why.

This unwritten tradition allow for select students to be gently guided to relaxed academic standards with the caveat that they will not be given grades demonstrating excellence and will not major in the more demanding subjects.

In the past, gentleman Cs were given to some students of qualifying pedigrees, some athletes, and to some whose parents made legitimate 'n large donations to the schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lizjen