NC - 12-year-old dies at Trails Carolina wilderness therapy camp, Lake Toxaway, February 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
For all anyone knows, there was no diagnosis whatsoever. He was a victim of cruel and unusual punishment IMHO :confused:

I don't have any information either way. I wonder who recommended/or, how the parents chose this camp.

In one of the earlier articles,

it is stated that

"Founded in 2008, Trails Carolina is a for-profit wilderness camp that treats children with diagnoses such as autism, ADHD, bipolar and post-traumatic stress disorders, as well as those struggling with depression or unruly behavior."

So while it could be "unruly behavior", the child could also have had any of the above condition.

I assumed that given his growth delay, the child could have had some undiagnosed, possibly, genetic, problem. However, your words gave me another idea, a possible explanation for being small for age that I didn't think of before.

I don't have any information either way. I wonder who recommended/or, how the parents chose this camp.

In one of the earlier articles,

it is stated that

"Founded in 2008, Trails Carolina is a for-profit wilderness camp that treats children with diagnoses such as autism, ADHD, bipolar and post-traumatic stress disorders, as well as those struggling with depression or unruly behavior."

So while it could be "unruly behavior", the child could also have had any of the above condition.

I assumed that given his growth delay, the child could have had some undiagnosed, possibly, genetic, problem. However, your words gave me another idea, a possible explanation for being small for age that I didn't think of before.
RBBM: Neglect? I am just guessing.

Everything about this is so absolutely wrong. A wilderness camp to "treat" children who have been diagnosed with PTSD and/or unruly behavior? Sounds promising :(

JMO.

Except in theory, a lot of time in nature is actually healing. But you have to want to be there and feel good about the experience.

This was adults literally forcing a child to their will, and that was never going to be healing.

The problem is a lot of teenagers who truly need therapy refuse to go or don't participate in a meaningful way when they go, and that makes parents feel helpless, though. Things get so out of control in their homes, and they are heavily judged for not fixing it.

Unfortunately there isn't an answer for these families, but a lot of people think places like this are the best last resort. However most people also think these camps will be pretty safe for their teen, and actually, this camp really should have been safe, but they failed in the worst way.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rachelle(Ru-shell)
Back