NC - 12-year-old dies at Trails Carolina wilderness therapy camp, Lake Toxaway, February 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
For all anyone knows, there was no diagnosis whatsoever. He was a victim of cruel and unusual punishment IMHO :confused:

I don't have any information either way. I wonder who recommended/or, how the parents chose this camp.

In one of the earlier articles,

it is stated that

"Founded in 2008, Trails Carolina is a for-profit wilderness camp that treats children with diagnoses such as autism, ADHD, bipolar and post-traumatic stress disorders, as well as those struggling with depression or unruly behavior."

So while it could be "unruly behavior", the child could also have had any of the above condition.

I assumed that given his growth delay, the child could have had some undiagnosed, possibly, genetic, problem. However, your words gave me another idea, a possible explanation for being small for age that I didn't think of before.

I don't have any information either way. I wonder who recommended/or, how the parents chose this camp.

In one of the earlier articles,

it is stated that

"Founded in 2008, Trails Carolina is a for-profit wilderness camp that treats children with diagnoses such as autism, ADHD, bipolar and post-traumatic stress disorders, as well as those struggling with depression or unruly behavior."

So while it could be "unruly behavior", the child could also have had any of the above condition.

I assumed that given his growth delay, the child could have had some undiagnosed, possibly, genetic, problem. However, your words gave me another idea, a possible explanation for being small for age that I didn't think of before.
RBBM: Neglect? I am just guessing.

Everything about this is so absolutely wrong. A wilderness camp to "treat" children who have been diagnosed with PTSD and/or unruly behavior? Sounds promising :(

JMO.

Except in theory, a lot of time in nature is actually healing. But you have to want to be there and feel good about the experience.

This was adults literally forcing a child to their will, and that was never going to be healing.

The problem is a lot of teenagers who truly need therapy refuse to go or don't participate in a meaningful way when they go, and that makes parents feel helpless, though. Things get so out of control in their homes, and they are heavily judged for not fixing it.

Unfortunately there isn't an answer for these families, but a lot of people think places like this are the best last resort. However most people also think these camps will be pretty safe for their teen, and actually, this camp really should have been safe, but they failed in the worst way.

A high-end outdoor therapy camp is once again trying to stop the state from revoking its license by filing a petition with the N.C. Office of Administrative Hearings on July 8, about eight days before its license is set to be taken after the death of a 12-year-old camper.

Trails Carolina, based in the Transylvania County community of Lake Toxaway, more than an hour from Asheville, submitted a petition for a contested hearing to challenge the revocation of its operating license, a spokesperson with the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services confirmed with the Citizen Times July 12.
WNC camp appeals license revocation by state officials after 12-year-old camper death

Received on July 8, Trails’ petition letter said the state’s “actions are without a reasonable or sufficient basis and are detrimental to the health or safety of the children who would otherwise be in Petitioner’s (Trails Carolina’s) care.”

Trails said the state’s “actions and decision making did not appropriately consider the degree of sanctions necessary to assure compliance” and the state “exceeded its authority, acted erroneously, failed to use proper procedure, and acted arbitrarily and capriciously in its investigation and suspension of admissions.”

Among the reasons for the appeal, Trails put a check mark indicating the state: “substantially prejudiced my rights;” “exceeded its authority or jurisdiction;” “acted erroneously;” “failed to use proper procedure” and “acted arbitrarily or capriciously.”

https://www.transylvaniatimes.com/news/trails-carolina-appeals-license-revocation/article_36774dca-42d9-11ef-b5b8-03e970e69912.html

1st BBM - I beg to differ. As does the death of a 12 year old "camper" that was ruled a homicide MOO

2nd BBM - like you did with the life of a 12 year old "camper" who was in your care?

This camp, grrr, now I am fired up.

After watching The Program on Netflix I fear that even though the Camp has closed some of these kids have already been moved into a different camp.
Yeah. It seems to be how these places operate.

The Program was really powerful, really impactful. If you haven't seen it, I also recommend Hell Camp (also on Netflix) which is about wilderness programs specifically. They're all rooted in the same corrupt, abusive structure, though, whether they're in the woods, the desert, or in a prison facility masquerading as a school.

MOO

no updates on the boy who died in this case. the only update I have found regarding the camp is about the pending SA lawsuit another former "camper" has filed against them. In that case the judge has denied the camp's motion to strike or dismiss the victim's complaint.

“Beyond Defendants’ threadbare assertion that some of Plaintiff’s allegations are immaterial and prejudicial, Defendants offer no support for their Rule 12(f) motion,” the judge said, stating that Trails Carolina has a high burden of proof to show that the claims are irrelevant and that they failed to meet that burden. “… Trails Carolina’s closure after two children died in their custody is obviously relevant to at least the duty and breach elements of Plaintiff’s negligence claims and the aggravating factors that could support an award of punitive damages.”
The judge added that the “Defendants’ motion to dismiss Plaintiff’s Amended Complaint fares no better than Defendants’ motion to strike.”
https://myfox8.com/news/north-carol...econd child,Carolina has appealed the closure.

Yeah. It seems to be how these places operate.

The Program was really powerful, really impactful. If you haven't seen it, I also recommend Hell Camp (also on Netflix) which is about wilderness programs specifically. They're all rooted in the same corrupt, abusive structure, though, whether they're in the woods, the desert, or in a prison facility masquerading as a school.

MOO

Yes, I remember about the Indianapolis gymnastics scandal and the fact mentioned in press, that the conditions at the Karolyi ranch promoted the abuse by Nassar. The detachment, the discipline and the abusive environment created the fertile soil for sexual abuse.

One wonders if the same applies to the ranches and if the sheer detachment of these places attracts pedophiles.

It truly shocks me how parents have bought into the idea that if their child, that they chose to have and love unconditionally, is too "difficult", they can pay an institution to reprogram them into more agreeable children.

How on earth is the existence of those institutions still tolerated by the state? We have seen so many reports coming out, documentaries, testimonies. Is the government sending out people to observe and supervise what's happening? Does the parental consent supercede the human rights of the children?

My heart goes out to the victim of this, IMO utter failure of the system, as well as to the other children held there against their will.

"Earlier this year, one of those programs, a North Carolina wilderness camp called Trails Carolina, lost its license after a 12-year-old suffocated in the weather-proof sack he was required to sleep in. The death, which was ruled a homicide, happened within 24 hours of the boy’s arrival. Trails Carolina has denied wrongdoing, and no one has been criminally charged in the death, though the investigation is ongoing.

Several other Family Help & Wellness programs have run afoul of state regulations for failing to notify the state of critical incidents, such as those in which children were injured or allegedly abused, and preventing children from calling licensing agencies, among other violations.'

LAKE TOXAWAY, N.C. (WGHP) — Amid a spate of legal troubles that kicked off with the death of a preteen boy, a North Carolina troubled teen camp has listed their property for sale.
[snip]
Due to the nature of his death, the OCME deemed it a homicide, though the law enforcement investigation is ongoing and no one has been criminally charged.
https://www.wspa.com/news/local-new...d-assault-lawsuit-camper-death-investigation/

It is my hope that multiple people will face charges. I wonder what his family thinks. I hope arrests are in the works, though I'm afraid there will be plea bargains and little to no prison time.

They'll probably move to another state and set up a similar operation. Many states don't provide adequate oversight for these businesses. That's what they are - businesses.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
culley2821
Back