NC NC - Asha Degree, 9, Shelby, 14 Feb 2000 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There are two cases that remind me of Asha's.

Two a lesser degree, Skylar Neese. Her two friends lured her out of her house and killed her, and she left through her window.

The other case is Nicole Levell. She was 13, and left her house through her window as well. This took place in Virginia and she was found in North Carolina. She was lured out by a man she met on a well known grooming app, and had met in person before. The man, along with a woman, co-conspired to kill Nicole after they decided she was a liability. One interesting thing of note is that Nicole was specifically asked to bring a backpack, similar to how Asha left with a backpack.

Nicole's case had a lot of similarities to Skylar's, as they were both lured out to people who had cars waiting and running, were both killed and left in the cold, and the perps were more or less both caught because of poorly disposed of cleaning supplies.

Nicole was from Virginia but was found in NC. Skylar was from West Virginia but was found in PA.

Using this venn diagram based on these two cases, I wonder what the odds are that Asha's remains are in another state, she was lured out of the house via internet communications, she knew her abducters, and there was two or more people involved?
The groomers or kidnappers in a lot of cases probably know to tell them to take a bookbag so that when police come to ask parents then that may lead them to believe the child has willingly ran away.

Russell Underhill resided in two care homes operated by the Dedmons. Does anyone know what type of disability this poor guy had ? He was only 54 when he died. On his obituary it listed accident/ not work related.

I'm curious if short with the dna was in back pack or out of it? This would explain night gown in her bag. The sisters 16/17, 15 and 13. They could have all warn that nightgown at one time or another . I'm not sure about the book . The girl would have bene to old to have checked out such a book. But if they had young relative or youngster they baby sat for and it was left behind in their things. I always had a feeling this stuff was from who ever did this and it was just laying around and they accidently packed it in her bag, I wonder if they will polygraph these folks and the girls?

Russell Underhill resided in two care homes operated by the Dedmons. Does anyone know what type of disability this poor guy had ? He was only 54 when he died. On his obituary it listed accident/ not work related.
He was a Vietnam veteran and seemed to have substance use issues - he was only 56 when he passed. Has his autopsy report been posted here yet? He said he thought someone was trying to kill him before he died and he was found with no injuries but blood coming out of his nose.

I am inclined to think that Underhill's DNA was trace DNA

"According to the documents, a DNA sample of a hair stem taken from Degree’s undershirt appeared to match Dedmon Ramirez’s DNA."
I wonder if this daughter of the Dedmon's was at the sleepover Asha attended. Did they ever release an official list of her bags contents when it was found? I vaguely remember reading it somewhere. Is it possible that her bag wasn't pre-packed before supposedly leaving and that it just wasn't unpacked from the previous days, the sleep over, basketball practice, etc. Also, they didn't specify what type of DNA was found by Russell Underhill. Something is strange about them having their minor teenage child transporting patients (supposedly adults) alone. Also why in the middle of the night? During a storm?

To be honest about the unidentified girl's photo, pencil, candy wrappers, and hair bow found at the shed could potentially have been a red herring this whole time. Someone mentioning that it seems like they could have fell out of furniture being reupholstered which makes the most sense. (Unless hair evidence linking it to Asha was found of course) It could be completely unrelated.

Wow! I have followed this case for a really, really long time. I am around Asha's age and am also from North Carolina. Her missing person poster is among the first I remember seeing. Fingers crossed her family will have closure soon. I feel for them right now during this time.

The Dedmon's started a segregation academy. I doubt they allowed their children to attend school or social functions that were integrated. Segregationist rarely change, but one constant is never seeing Black people on the same levels of humanity as they see themselves.

Off topic, but this almost feels like a movie plot.

The Dedmon's started a segregation academy. I doubt they allowed their children to attend school or social functions that were integrated. Segregationist rarely change, but one constant is never seeing Black people on the same levels of humanity as they see themselves.

Off topic, but this almost feels like a movie

This detail makes everything so much more sinister in my opinion. Get Out-esque

My mind has been taking me down this road, especially as this happened back in 2000.

Strange that when the power came on she didn't go check the kids room to see if their lights needed to be turned back off? Also so both the father’s brother and wife were there that night as well?
Idk where ur getting ur info from. Asha’s dad checked on them at 2:30 am and Asha was still sleeping. Her brother literally heard her get up and move around their bedroom before she left the house. We are not doing this again, Asha’s family doesn’t know where she is and they never have. There is now irrefutable proof that someone not related to Asha’s family somehow had contact with her when she disappeared because well DNA doesn’t lie.

My theory is that one of the older daughters was out driving the car that night and hit Asha. I think it's likely that she was drunk but not necessarily. Why was she out so late at night on a random Sunday/Monday? Because it was Valentine's Day and, in typical overly romantic teenage fashion, decided she wanted to meet up with her bf or romantic interest right as the clock struck 12 on Valentine's. Then while driving home, either rushing because she didn't want her parents to notice she snuck out or drunk from drinking with the boy, she hit Asha. Rushed home in a panic and asked Dad and Mom for help. The DNA of the younger sister and patient are just coincidence from transfer in the car.
Why wouldn't a wealthy white family go to the police? They had influence and most likely wouldn't have received jail time.

Why wouldn't a wealthy white family go to the police? They had influence and most likely wouldn't have received jail time.
This is why i’m thinking whatever happened was probably more sinister than a git & run followed by a cover up by the parents. Who’s the say the girls or one of the parents didn’t lure Asha into the car or forcibly abduct her? We have no idea where the front damage of the car came from.

Actually, some segregationists do change. Many schools in the south that started out as segregated schools are now successfully integrated. Mississippi is a good example of it. That is not to say that the Dedmon's are changed or that none of that played into this case. JMO

Because they thought they could get away with it with absolutely no repercussions. Obviously as racists, the parents had a distorted view of the world and probably believed that themselves and their children shouldn't be accountable for their actions. Plus in general, hit and runs are frequently unsolved, so it's the type of situation where a lot of people make the bad judgment to try and avoid consequences.

Actually, some segregationists do change. Many schools in the south that started out as segregated schools are now successfully integrated. Mississippi is a good example of it. That is not to say that the Dedmon's are changed or that none of that played into this case. JMO
Successfully integrated in order to be eligible for federal money. See the new school voucher scheme. It's merely a movement to fund segregationist academies. I'm not saying that there aren't any segregationist who change, but when you don't see people as human, why would you?

Successfully integrated in order to be eligible for federal money. See the new school voucher scheme. It's merely a movement to fund segregationist academies. I'm not saying that there aren't any segregationist who change, but when you don't see people as human, why would you?
Absolutely not. The private schools in Mississippi receive zero federal funding. Zip. Not a cent. They also do not accept vouchers. I also know people who have changed. I mean truly changed. I cannot understand your angry react on my post stating actual facts. Why on earth would it make you angry that these schools have voluntarily, with no funding lures, successfully integrated? They have been integrating very slowly, some may say too slowly, since the late 1980's. It's been slow but the communities have adapted along with it and it is a good thing for the communities.

I am trying to catch up here.

Is there a lead about a white family doing a hit and run?

Do you have a link that the family was wealthy? Or that they had influence? Or that they likely wouldn’t have received jail time (which seems to be an attempt to impugn the reputation of Shelby, NC and Cleveland County, NC LE and justice systems)

If OP is stating their opinion, I think they should say so.

Jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maineguy1961
Back