NC NC - Asha Degree, 9, Shelby, 14 Feb 2000

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
New FBI push to find Asha Degree, missing for 12 years

Federal investigators are working to bring new attention to the case of a missing girl, 12 years after she disappeared.

[snip]

The Charlotte Division of the Federal Bureau of Investigations announced on Tuesday that it is planning a multi-platform media campaign, using media publicity, digital billboards, online promotion, and the use of social media in the search for new tips to find Asha.

[snip]

Asha's parents, Iquilla and Harold Degree spoke with WBTV Tuesday. Valentine's Day is actually their wedding anniversary. They've been married 24 years, but despite hitting that milestone, they aren't celebrating.

"We celebrate every other day of the year besides this day," said Iquilla. "This day is all about her."

More: http://www.wbtv.com/story/16931539/...e-gets-new-light-12-years-after-disappearance

Retracing Asha's steps: FBI seeks new leads in case

One and one-third miles.

It’s the distance police say 9-year-old Asha Degree walked along N.C. 18 before vanishing 12 years ago.

Asha’s friends and family, bundled against the biting wind and cold, walked in Asha’s steps on Tuesday.

It’s an 11-year tradition they wish could end.

More: http://www.shelbystar.com/news/new-62031-retracing-asha.html

Living near Shelby, we are always reminded of Asha's disappearance by billboards and ribbons that residents keep up. Her parents still live in the same home and they were interviewed by a local journalist not long ago. They have always stated that Asha was very fearful of the dark and they doubt she would have ventured out on her own.

The fact that the hairbow and candy wrappers were found in the shed speak to me of someone keeping her there, either temporarily or for several days. I remember the uneasy feeling I experienced when they announced they had found her bookbag, double wrapped in black trashbags and buried.

I know her parents have been through so much and would feel some closure in knowing what happened to their little girl. God bless them....

i remember myself at 9 years of age. i would have been terrified to go walking in the dark by myself! but all the doors in the home were locked, she packed her backpack, was seen walking by herself and entered the woods by herself. I can't see how she was forced to do any of this? I wonder if she had access to the internet to have met someone online, I would not think that a 9 year old would know how to enter chat rooms, i know that I didn't at that age. It seems to me that someone just stumbled upon her. Odd that belongings were found in a shed but no evidence. And then her backpack wrapped in plastic, truly odd. I just wish we know what motivated her to venture out that night.

What if Asha did run away, and she ran into the woods and found the little shed? It was just a mile from her home, right? She goes into the shed as it provides a bit of shelter. She eats candy bars she's brought along. Then she's found, maybe by someone who works at Turner's Upholstery? Or someone who lives nearby? Maybe the bookbag was hidden until the perpetrator, afraid of discovery, had an opportunity to bury it. He probably never thought it would be found.

Does anyone know how far the intersection of Hwy 18 that she was spotted at and then entered the woods is from this Turner's Upholstery shed??

Hi, new to the forums. Actually via google search I've come upon the Websleuths forums for years but recently was compelled to join to give my opinion regarding this case. Also I only learned of this case late last year.

I do not believe that a mentally well 9 yr old child would both solely and willingly leave out of their home at 4 am. Beside it being dark, at the time there was or had been a storm and her dad has stated she was deathly afraid of dogs. Having grown up in a rural area, I know personally dogs are not always kept indoors, inside of a fence or on a leash and this appears to be a rural area.

I believe that she walked out of the home with someone she trusted or that somone she trusted lured her out of her home.The motorists that claim to have saw Asha play such an important role in this case becase they alone established the alleged approximate time of when she was outside of the home. Witnesses are not always right or trueful. It seems very illogical that 2, 3 or more motorists would see a small child walking alone, along side a highway, at 4 am and not stop or call police at the very least.

As goes the witnesses so does the timeline and without a timeline a much harder look would have to be given to those with access to the home and those having last saw Asha alive. Also regarding the bookbag I believe only someone that knew Asha personally would take the time to wrap it inside of two trashbags before discarding it. Previous to reading this thread I assumed her bookbag was simply tossed onto the side of the highway but if her bookbag was buried that bolsters my belief that someone she knew is responsible for her disappearence.

I believe I agree with you. If she is was scared of the dark, as most 9 year olds would be, especially if it was storming that night, she would have had to have been convinced by someone she knew or either forced by someone to have backed her bag and left with them. The only thing that makes me question this is how did they get in the house since the doors were locked? And the 2 motorists spotted Asha alone so where was this other person at that time? Possibly hiding in the woods? I wonder if the motorist had any opinions on what state Asha appeared to be in, did she appear scared or distressed? Also Feburary in NC is COLD at 4am and as far as I have read and understand she didn't have a jacket. Does this lead more towards a forced leaving because I would have never left without a coat.

@danzn16, I also wonder about those points. That's what makes this case bizarre-these things do not add up. Maybe she was going to meet someone she knew or trusted?
I find it weird there are lots of missing girl cases in that area of the US in similar time frame (like Tabitha Tuders, Heaven Ross, Bethany Markowski). Not saying they are connected, but her case makes me think of Heaven LaShae Ross'.
Also, Monica Carrasco from Texas vanished eerily similar to her as well. She was last seen walking along a high way late at night, not dressed for the weather (in just a night gown and no shoes). Not saying they are connected either, just how they both have similarities can creep me out!
I hope they find her-i can't believe it's been 13 years already.

I think about this case quite often! In regards to the evidence it APPEARS Asha ran away. At nine years of age there's no way I would have managed to have awaken unassisted between 3 and 4 am, on a school night no less, to have fulfilled a conquest of running away. No forced entry into the home, Asha spotted walking alone at 3-4 am, maybe the FBI's fresh look at the case this year has come up with some new leads or will break the case

I wonder if the renewed interest in Asha's case has anything to do with Michael Plumadore.

He is currently incarcerated for the gruesome Dec 2011 murder of 9yo Aliahna Lemmon in IN, but is a native of the Charlotte area and I believe had ties to Gastonia and Shelby specifically. Perhaps he can be placed in the area at the time if Asha's disappearance or maybe has even made some suspicious comments while incarcerated.

Forgive me if I am taking a wild leap but when Plumadore was first arrested, it was discussed in depth that Aliahna was likely not his first murder and we began looking at other unsolved crimes that occurred near where he could be placed.

I believe Asha's case was mentioned in those posts.

MOO

It may appear she ran away and this may in fact be true. But the fact that her backpack in a garbage bag appeared miles away and belongings appeared in a storage shed just doesn't add up with a simple runaway case.

Thanks for the info on Plumadore frayedknot. i hope they do find this family answers, even though it would be very painful if this was the case!

Her back pack in a dumpster is a very scary concept for me. Whether she left on her own or not, that right there shows something bad occurred. We all know in cases where a child's belongings are found dumped somewhere just never turn out good.
I just wonder what could have made her leave. Was she planning on meeting someone? A child as young as Asha who would just leave in the middle of the night alone would have to be very brave-most kids would be scared to do that unless there would be someone there with them.

I definitely do not believe Asha ran away. I just feel that's how her case has been portrayed in the media and that's what some of the evidence points to. If I recall correctly Asha's backpack was found buried, wrapped inside two trash bags, along the same stretch of highway she lived, 30 to 50 miles from her home?

I think of Asha often. I agree that she likely went to meet someone that morning. The candy wrappers in the shed convinced me of that. Remember, it was the morning of Feb. 14, Valentine's Day. So, I think someone planned a secret "rendezvous" with her.

Asha was involved in sports - softball and basketball, IIRC. I've wondered if a coach or a team member's older brother, father or uncle arranged to meet her. Did anyone associated with those teams miss school or work that day? Or, did anyone notice someone unrelated who attended the sporting events and seemed to focus his attention on Asha?

Also, I've considered maybe it was someone who worked at the school. Maybe he promised to give Asha a ride to school after their early morning "rendezvous." Again, were there any faculty or staff members absent that day?

I wonder, too, if Michael Plumadore ever worked or volunteered at the school Asha attended, or if anyone would remember him attending sporting events that Asha participated in.

I do hope there are answers soon. I know her parents have worked tirelessly to find Asha. She's been gone a long time, but I think of Kaycee Dugard and know it's possible that's Asha, too, will return home. :please:

I definitley think Asha's case needs more media attention, and I also think it's portrayed poorly. Whether she left the house on her own or not, a crime has been committed, and that girl is in danger!!! Even if she left to meet someone, I think we all can agree something went sour along the way. And every time I think of her case, I think of Heaven La Shae Ross'.

This case haunts me as well. I can't imagine it was anyone she met off of the Internet, because I would think LE would have checked that thoroughly. I also can't imagine a little girl who is afraid of dogs and the dark would venture out alone in the dark. Heck I'm 38 years old and I would be afraid to do that. I just wish there were more clues so she could be found. This poor family has been through way too much.

http://www.foxcharlotte.com/news/to...3-Year-Old-Missing-Person-Case-191227401.html

Story Created: Feb 14, 2013 at 11:54 AM EST
Story Updated: Feb 14, 2013 at 11:54 AM EST

missing+person+2000+web.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads