NC NC - Asha Degree, 9, Shelby, 14 Feb 2000

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
585163615ee50.image.jpg

still missing: http://www.morganton.com/gallery/no..._fbc25a89-9899-5f97-9444-556d5b9be839.html#18

What I was goin to say is in regards to the witnesses that saw Asha walking that night.All I have read is what police say the witness said.It would be good to hear it in their own words. I would like to know what Asha was doin when the witness first spotted her. Was she walkin down the road and when they stopped she ran? Or when she first came into view was she already tryin to get off the road? If so, someone possibly could have been walkin with her. Someone older and bigger that could get off the road before being seen.
Another thing about the witnesses. Why would a truck driver who sees this and seems to be concerned not just pick up his cb radio and call it in to dispatch. Or did he??? And if he did who else could have been listnen in? Or could he have been havin casual conversation over the radio about what he was seeing. Truck drivers do love to talk on their radios. Some sicko could have heard. If it were another truck driver, there's no tellin where they could be from. If not a truck driver it would have to be a local. Back in the day,especially in the south, people like to surf the air waves. Sometimes engagin in conversation, sometimes just sittin back and listnen. There's scanner alerts right here on this website. Anybody could have heard.
I do believe Asha left her home and walked up the hwy willingly. Along with some of the other evidence the fact that she was wearin all white leads me to believe this. Most of us know and even a nine year old has probably been taught when walkin along a dark road its best to wear light colored clothes.
It would most likely be a car that Asha would approach. Think about walkin down a dark back road in the cold rain and a big eerie diesel comes creepin up. If I was nine I would run too.
As far as I know the only witnesses to see her were both truck drivers. But I have heard another account where a witness says they made three quick circles in the road. You can't make a circle on a two lane road with a tractor trailer. Am I missing somethin here?
About the book bag. I wonder what kind of animal bones were found. Just some road kill? I was thinkin if you were hidin some evidence by buryin it, a good cover up in case of gettin caught would be to say"I was just buryin my pet"or somethin.
The backpack that was in two other plastic bags may have been in a third bag and was removed directly before placin it into the hole. This would remove DNA, fibers, or any other evidence.
The shoes that were in the book bag. Are they the shoes that Asha was wearin that night? Or were they an extra pair she had packed?

It is very possible that Asha could have been in that shed behind the upholstery shop. She could have been pulling a dry article of clothin out of her backpack and the smaller items came out with it. In the dark she probably wouldn't even have realized it.
I don't know about the search dogs and all that. Who knows how well they searched?
I would also like to hear anybody's opinion on the possibility that while this situation was unfoldin it could have been being broadcast all over the southeast.

Not too much happenin on this thread lately, uh?
I suppose someone will come around on Valentines Day.

I hadn't heard of this case before, but I just read the whole thread... Man, the thought of that little girl walking off into the darkness by herself and never being seen alive again just gives me the chills. It does sound as if there was something strange going on at home too, though. Perhaps she decided to run away because she was was unhappy at home, then a random stranger picked her up. The suspicious fire in her room is strange, but it sounds like the room had already been searched and all her bedding and everything had been removed by LE by then anyway, so it seems a bit late for anyone to be trying to destroy evidence.

I hadn't heard of this case before, but I just read the whole thread... Man, the thought of that little girl walking off into the darkness by herself and never being seen alive again just gives me the chills. It does sound as if there was something strange going on at home too, though. Perhaps she decided to run away because she was was unhappy at home, then a random stranger picked her up. The suspicious fire in her room is strange, but it sounds like the room had already been searched and all her bedding and everything had been removed by LE by then anyway, so it seems a bit late for anyone to be trying to destroy evidence.

I remember little Asha Degree and the first reports of her disappearance as I didn't live very far from her family at that time. I still think of her often and wonder where she is, if she's still alive. I've never given up hope that there would someday be answers for her family. Regarding her family, I don't recall anything negative or derogatory being mentioned. I think this was just one of those things that happens, a parent's worst nightmare, and she unfortunately crossed paths with some unsavory characters that morning. I may be wrong, but I really don't think her parents played a part in Asha's disappearance in any way. They were completely devastated at her disappearance and have never given up, never stopped looking. I can't begin to imagine what that must feel like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember little Asha Degree and the first reports of her disappearance as I didn't live very far from her family at that time. I still think of her often and wonder where she is, if she's still alive. I've never given up hope that there would someday be answers for her family. Regarding her family, I don't recall anything negative or derogatory being mentioned. I think this was just one of those things that happens, a parent's worst nightmare, and she unfortunately crossed paths with some unsavory characters that morning. I may be wrong, but I really don't think her parents played a part in Asha's disappearance in any way. They were completely devastated at her disappearance and have never given up, never stopped looking. I can't begin to imagine what that must feel like.

Oh my gosh, I'm such an idiot. I just realised that I conflated Asia's case with another one I just read about, where the stepfather seemed suspicious and the girl's room mysteriously burned down after she disappeared - that was the Heaven Ross case. Not this case at all.
:blush: :blush: :blush:

Oh my gosh, I'm such an idiot. I just realised that I conflated Asia's case with another one I just read about, where the stepfather seemed suspicious and the girl's room mysteriously burned down after she disappeared - that was the Heaven Ross case. Not this case at all.
:blush: :blush: :blush:

It happens. Unfortunately, there are so many of these cases now that the details do sometimes get confusing. Don't be too hard on yourself. [emoji6]

It would be good to know about the shoes in the backpack. This could be a clue as to if she's still alive. Why would the shoes she was wearin (if they were) be in the backpack while two outfits she wasn't wearin be missin ? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

From wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Asha_Degree

bbm

In August 2001, Asha's bookbag was unearthed during a construction project off Highway 18 in Burke County, near Morganton, about 26 miles (42 km) north of Shelby. It was wrapped in a plastic bag[SUP][11][/SUP] and contained several sets of clothes, including her basketball uniform, and photos of her family.

I'm trying to relate the two bold items, above.

AD bringing along her basketball uniform could imply any of the following primary reasons:

1) sentimental, keepsake.
2) simply comfortable clothing.
3) AD intended to play basketball in the then-near or distant future.
4) AD did not act on her own thought, someone enticed her to leave home/meet them.

The first reason plays well to a "runaway" scenario, especially noting the family photos. This reason plus the photos could indicate AD planned for short-or-long-term or even permanent separation from her family. What is lacking is motive. Multiple changes of clothes found in the backpack likely indicate for longer than an "overnight" separation.

The second reason is simply one of practicality. This still plays well with a "runaway" scenario, especially nothing the family photos. The main difference between the first and second reasons goes to AD's thought process: practicality first or sentimentality first. Did AD reluctantly "run away" or did AD simply pack for practicality and "sentimentality" was simply what one plans for in the future: "Yes, I used to play basketball." and "This was my family." The significance of the difference is AD's mindset; one way she reluctantly performing a life-changing act, the other is simply matter-of-fact with no hesitation of what she is doing.

The third reason plays more to a short-term absence from her family (short-term, but long enough for AD to want to have photos as reminders or encouragement) with the intent of focusing on her game, becoming better as bball, honing her sport-craft until such time she was satisfied that she was ready to once again make her family proud of her (noting her school team's game loss earlier in the day she left her home).

None of the above three reasons relate to a planned abduction, the reasons assume AD was acting fully on her own. The fourth reason assumes AD is susceptible to suggestion or is very trustful. This fourth reason relates directly to a planned abduction, likely by someone she or her family knew and whom she trusted.

The significance of the backpack being buried as opposed to having been tossed in to a deep body of water, burned or otherwise destroyed leads to a few possibilities:

1) the person who buried the backpack wanted to ensure they could once again relive the moment they happened across or otherwise met up with AD, by being able to dig up the backpack and sift through the items for a brief period then pack it all up and bury it again, repeat, etc. This way they keep themselves separate from the evidence (no one discovers it in their possession) but they maintain access to it.

2) to misdirect LE away from a crime scene or local-to-the-perp community... 26+ miles is quite a distance.

3) no other intent except to be rid of the items at a particular moment, buried in the ground ensured no items could eventually float to the surface of a creek, river or lake and buy enough time unless/until someone might eventually dig in the area for whatever reason.

I'm leaning toward the first possibility because it is known that certain perps like to relive their crime experience in some way, either through keepsakes (victim's clothing, jewelry, photos, etc.) or through ritualistic metaphor behavior.

This was either a crime of opportunity or planned, neither of which can be 100% determined as of yet but I think I'm leaning toward a planned abduction: the fact the FBI believes AD had been packing items over a period of days (but I must admit that seems strange to me but, IIWII) and some candy wrappers were found in the open barn: I believe the perp instructed AD to meet him/her at that location... it is possible the person may have called out to AD while she was nearing the upholstery property and that is why she seemingly "took off running toward the woods".

Just heard about this case a few days ago from reddit and was hoping to find a thread here.

Still have some more reading to do, but it's odd to me that there is so little information in this case that is actually VERIFIED.

Everything that we're going off of is based on eyewitness accounts: the dad claiming he saw her at 2:30, mom saying she was missing by 6:30, the brother claiming he heard her bed squeak but didn't look/get up to see (could it have been someone else?), the two witnesses that claim they saw her on the road at 3:30 and 4:15, someone finding items in their shed/barn and the parents "telling" LE the items were Asha's.

Not any FACTS in this case are based on any concrete material evidence, just all based on what people said they saw and that have been given the benefit of the doubt because... well, because why? Just because there was nothing else to go on?

I like real evidence, and I haven't found any. It is the eyewitness accounts that make this so hard to follow and/or understand, so I'm going to start over and throw out "evidence" that is just based on someone saying it was so. Even thinking about doing that, I'm nervous about the conclusion I'll come to, but Occam's Razor is gonna have to prevail for now. We've been led in a lot of directions, but I think this is much simpler than it seems.

Just heard about this case a few days ago from reddit and was hoping to find a thread here.

Still have some more reading to do, but it's odd to me that there is so little information in this case that is actually VERIFIED.

Everything that we're going off of is based on eyewitness accounts: the dad claiming he saw her at 2:30, mom saying she was missing by 6:30, the brother claiming he heard her bed squeak but didn't look/get up to see (could it have been someone else?), the two witnesses that claim they saw her on the road at 3:30 and 4:15, someone finding items in their shed/barn and the parents "telling" LE the items were Asha's.

Not any FACTS in this case are based on any concrete material evidence, just all based on what people said they saw and that have been given the benefit of the doubt because... well, because why? Just because there was nothing else to go on?

I like real evidence, and I haven't found any. It is the eyewitness accounts that make this so hard to follow and/or understand, so I'm going to start over and throw out "evidence" that is just based on someone saying it was so. Even thinking about doing that, I'm nervous about the conclusion I'll come to, but Occam's Razor is gonna have to prevail for now. We've been led in a lot of directions, but I think this is much simpler than it seems.

Keep us posted! Fresh eyes on this one would be awesome!

From wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Asha_Degree

bbm

I'm trying to relate the two bold items, above.

AD bringing along her basketball uniform could imply any of the following primary reasons:

1) sentimental, keepsake.
2) simply comfortable clothing.
3) AD intended to play basketball in the then-near or distant future.
4) AD did not act on her own thought, someone enticed her to leave home/meet them.

The first reason plays well to a "runaway" scenario, especially noting the family photos. This reason plus the photos could indicate AD planned for short-or-long-term or even permanent separation from her family. What is lacking is motive. Multiple changes of clothes found in the backpack likely indicate for longer than an "overnight" separation.

The second reason is simply one of practicality. This still plays well with a "runaway" scenario, especially nothing the family photos. The main difference between the first and second reasons goes to AD's thought process: practicality first or sentimentality first. Did AD reluctantly "run away" or did AD simply pack for practicality and "sentimentality" was simply what one plans for in the future: "Yes, I used to play basketball." and "This was my family." The significance of the difference is AD's mindset; one way she reluctantly performing a life-changing act, the other is simply matter-of-fact with no hesitation of what she is doing.

The third reason plays more to a short-term absence from her family (short-term, but long enough for AD to want to have photos as reminders or encouragement) with the intent of focusing on her game, becoming better as bball, honing her sport-craft until such time she was satisfied that she was ready to once again make her family proud of her (noting her school team's game loss earlier in the day she left her home).

None of the above three reasons relate to a planned abduction, the reasons assume AD was acting fully on her own. The fourth reason assumes AD is susceptible to suggestion or is very trustful. This fourth reason relates directly to a planned abduction, likely by someone she or her family knew and whom she trusted.

The significance of the backpack being buried as opposed to having been tossed in to a deep body of water, burned or otherwise destroyed leads to a few possibilities:

1) the person who buried the backpack wanted to ensure they could once again relive the moment they happened across or otherwise met up with AD, by being able to dig up the backpack and sift through the items for a brief period then pack it all up and bury it again, repeat, etc. This way they keep themselves separate from the evidence (no one discovers it in their possession) but they maintain access to it.

2) to misdirect LE away from a crime scene or local-to-the-perp community... 26+ miles is quite a distance.

3) no other intent except to be rid of the items at a particular moment, buried in the ground ensured no items could eventually float to the surface of a creek, river or lake and buy enough time unless/until someone might eventually dig in the area for whatever reason.

I'm leaning toward the first possibility because it is known that certain perps like to relive their crime experience in some way, either through keepsakes (victim's clothing, jewelry, photos, etc.) or through ritualistic metaphor behavior.

This was either a crime of opportunity or planned, neither of which can be 100% determined as of yet but I think I'm leaning toward a planned abduction: the fact the FBI believes AD had been packing items over a period of days (but I must admit that seems strange to me but, IIWII) and some candy wrappers were found in the open barn: I believe the perp instructed AD to meet him/her at that location... it is possible the person may have called out to AD while she was nearing the upholstery property and that is why she seemingly "took off running toward the woods".

So good to see fresh eyes and perspectives on this case. Asha Degree has never been forgotten by myself or my family. When my kids were younger, I used to follow up my "be careful" to them with "don't forget what happened to Asha Degree." I'd love to see progress in this case. She deserves it.

http://www.shelbystar.com/news/20170211/we-hold-on-to-hope

In the early morning hours of Feb. 14, 2000, police say Asha Degree left her family home on Oakcrest Drive near Fallston. She walked from the home onto N.C. 18 and was never seen again. The Cleveland County Sheriff's Office has kept the investigation into Degree's disappearance open for the past 17 years, and her family continues to work to make sure people don't forget the tragedy that struck their family.

"This is a very active case," Sheriff Alan Norman said. "We have investigators who meet weekly with the FBI to discuss the case."

The most recent information in Degree's case came in 2016.

On May 25, 2016, the FBI updated the missing person profile for Degree to include the description of a vehicle she was last seen getting into on Feb. 14, 2000.

The FBI and the Sheriff’s Office have received information that someone matching Degree’s description may have been seen getting into a distinctive vehicle along N.C. 18, where she was last seen. The vehicle is described as an early 1970s Lincoln Mark IV or a Ford Thunderbird, dark green, with rust around the wheel wells.

Since releasing this new information in the case, the FBI has not seen an increase in call volume to their tip line, according to Shelly Lynch with the FBI office in Charlotte.

"We have been working hand-in-hand with the Sheriff's Office to go over the case again," Lynch said. "We are also re-interviewing people involved."

The new team of investigators focused on this case has met every week since February 2015, the 15th anniversary of Degree’s disappearance.

Even after all this time, Norman is hopeful Degree will be found.

"There are people who have been discovered alive who had been missing for number of years, so we hold on to hope," Normand said.

Prayer walk held 17 years after disappearance of Asha Degree

Bumping this thread for valentines day. I hope this case is solved soon.

I wish this case would be solved for the sake of the family. I live in a neighboring county and remember driving past a billboard for Asha for what seems like everyday for years in my county. That's the thing about crimes such as abductions and murders in these rural counties, there are too many places for evidence to be hid. Look at the Zahra Baker case in nearby Hickory. They still don't have all of her remains because the step monster drove all around the rural areas discarding them. I hope that is not the case for Asha and that somehow she will be found alive. I would love to see the day there is affordable technology law enforcement can use to scan large areas of land to check for disturbance. I know this has been done before, but it is not something small counties like these are going to have access too.

Anyone know if it was raining and storming at the actual time she left the house? Maybe it only started raining heavily after she already left and started walking and that's why she was in that shed eating candy to take shelter from the rain for a while?

Also if it was raining and storming so heavily how was she spotted in the darkness in the middle of the night by 2 different motorists? In a thundering rainstorm on a dark highway with little light or visibility a 9 year old child is clearly identifiable? I'd like to know exactly what the weather circumstances were that night. Just how bad was this rain/storm she was caught up in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader