NC NC - Asha Degree, 9, Shelby, 14 Feb 2000

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure why, but if true- those particular "red herrings" (clothing, book, a photo) seem like something a female might plant .
speculation, imo.

What makes you think that's something a woman would do?
Not disagreeing. I'm just genuinely curious.

Feels like someone is deliberating throwing out red herrings.

Not sure why, but if true- those particular "red herrings" (clothing, book, a photo) seem like something a female might plant .
speculation, imo.

I was already thinking these items sound like something a woman might have had to do with. I don't know about them being red herrings but I guess it's possible. There's still the fact that the book is linked back to Asha's school so it would still be of significance. It had to wind up in the hands of the perpetrator at some point. It seems like for this reason it would be defeating the purpose of using it for a red herring.

What makes you think that's something a woman would do?
Not disagreeing. I'm just genuinely curious.
It was the first image to flash in my mind, thinking deeper on it- i suppose the items reminded me of the type of things a woman/ mother (not AD's mom) might think to pack for a child going on a sleep-over, even including a book that might be suitable for any younger siblings who might also be present.
Plus, the careful wrapping up of the buried items so they are not ruined and even including a photo, obviously things a male might do too, but it all seems like the sentimental actions usually associated with females.
Just my thoughts for now, all speculation, imo.

Snipped by me from
Looking for Asha — FBI
“Construction workers digging an access road for a new home in neighboring Burke County found a book bag that belonged to Asha. Inside was a concert T-shirt featuring boy band New Kids On The Block and a children’s book, McElligot’s Pool, by Dr. Seuss. Neither belonged to Asha, though the book was from the library at Asha’s school, Fallston Elementary.”

How is it known the Asha isn’t the one that checked out the book? Because mom or dad said she didn’t?

Snipped by me from
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/crime/article219720915.html
“Library records at the Fallston Elementary School Media Center don’t go back to the year of Asha’s disappearance, Bowen said.”

So if library records don’t go back that far I think it makes the most sense to think Asha did in fact check out the library book that was in her bag that came from her school.

Snipped by me from
Looking for Asha — FBI
“Construction workers digging an access road for a new home in neighboring Burke County found a book bag that belonged to Asha. Inside was a concert T-shirt featuring boy band New Kids On The Block and a children’s book, McElligot’s Pool, by Dr. Seuss. Neither belonged to Asha, though the book was from the library at Asha’s school, Fallston Elementary.”

How is it known the Asha isn’t the one that checked out the book? Because mom or dad said she didn’t?

Snipped by me from
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/crime/article219720915.html
“Library records at the Fallston Elementary School Media Center don’t go back to the year of Asha’s disappearance, Bowen said.”

So if library records don’t go back that far I think it makes the most sense to think Asha did in fact check out the library book that was in her bag that came from her school.

I think they know more than what they're telling us and we still don't know what all was in the bag. In this link it is said the book was checked out around early 2000 but if there's no records then how would they know this? Of course this is not a direct quote from an investigator so I don't know how accurate it is.
There was some interest in another book that Asha had been reading just before she went missing so maybe with this in mind LE checked her library records and know what books she had checked out and the Dr Seuss wasn't one of them but now the records are no longer available to see who did check it out. I can't understand why they wouldn't have checked these records back then only a year and a half after they say the book was taken but it's possible that they did and their just not telling us everything about it.

Authorities release new photos in case of 'Shelby's sweetheart' who vanished 18 years ago

Last edited:
I think they know more than what they're telling us and we still don't know what all was in the bag. In this link it is said the book was checked out around early 2000 but if there's no records then how would they know this? Of course this is not a direct quote from an investigator so I don't know how accurate it is.
There was some interest in another book that Asha had been reading just before she went missing so maybe with this in mind LE checked her library records and know what books she had checked out and the Dr Seuss wasn't one of them but now the records are no longer available to see who did check it out. I can't understand why they wouldn't have checked these records back then only a year and a half after they say the book was taken but it's possible that they did and their just not telling us everything about it.

Do we know what system the library was using for checkouts in 2000? This makes me wonder if it was the now-outdated card system, where the person signed a card in the book and handed it to the librarian, who stamped the card and book with the due date? The book would have that date stamped in it, which would point to when it was checked out, but it's unlikely the library would keep a card from a lost book for that long. They'd probably bill the parent, and when it was paid, toss the card as there was no longer a book to match it to. Larger libraries were probably switched to a scanner system by then, but a smaller school library may not have had the budget or resources to upgrade yet. That would explain how they knew when it was checked it out by not by whom. Doesn't help much, but does possibly explain the discrepancy.

The idea of a woman involved makes sense. Did someone perhaps lose a child, maybe younger than Asha, and in their grief, take her as a "replacement"? Could the book and nightshirt have belonged to their child, or the book been checked out by a sibling? With NKOTB being a thing of the past by then, perhaps the shirt was purchased at a store that sells overstock, or maybe it was a hand-me-down from another child the person had. Perhaps the person (or maybe a couple?) realized that Asha was a liability as she could ID them and killed her after the fact, after giving her the nightshirt and book and then burying it all together? Maybe the spouse of whoever took her discovered her either in their home or being kept somewhere nearby and the you-know-what hit the fan? All pure speculation, of course, and way more far-fetched than a predator taking her, but maybe another scenario to consider?

Do we know what system the library was using for checkouts in 2000? This makes me wonder if it was the now-outdated card system, where the person signed a card in the book and handed it to the librarian, who stamped the card and book with the due date? The book would have that date stamped in it, which would point to when it was checked out, but it's unlikely the library would keep a card from a lost book for that long. They'd probably bill the parent, and when it was paid, toss the card as there was no longer a book to match it to. Larger libraries were probably switched to a scanner system by then, but a smaller school library may not have had the budget or resources to upgrade yet. That would explain how they knew when it was checked it out by not by whom. Doesn't help much, but does possibly explain the discrepancy.

The idea of a woman involved makes sense. Did someone perhaps lose a child, maybe younger than Asha, and in their grief, take her as a "replacement"? Could the book and nightshirt have belonged to their child, or the book been checked out by a sibling? With NKOTB being a thing of the past by then, perhaps the shirt was purchased at a store that sells overstock, or maybe it was a hand-me-down from another child the person had. Perhaps the person (or maybe a couple?) realized that Asha was a liability as she could ID them and killed her after the fact, after giving her the nightshirt and book and then burying it all together? Maybe the spouse of whoever took her discovered her either in their home or being kept somewhere nearby and the you-know-what hit the fan? All pure speculation, of course, and way more far-fetched than a predator taking her, but maybe another scenario to consider?

I asked a friend about this awhile back. She had kids around the same age as Asha at that time and according to her many elementary schools were still using the card catalogue in their libraries. The reason being it was much easier for the kids to learn the Dewey decimal system. I guess I can see that. Records stored on a computer are pretty much there forever so if they were using that kind of system shouldn't they still be there? You may be right. The date may have been stamped right there in the back of the book. It may just be that simple.

Another interesting thing about the Dr. Seuss book that comes to mind, being around the same age as Asha I wasn't reading Dr. Seuss at 9/10 years old. Goosebumps were really big at the time for me, as was Harry Potter, Magic Treehouse, Zoobooks, Captain Underpants, and the Black Lagoon series. Whoever checked it out was probably younger.

My school in the late 90s/early 2000's used the card system with the librian stamping the card. Sometimes the last person to check-out forgot to write their name, the handwriting was illegible, or they only put their first name which could be what we are dealing with here.

If it was a parent of another student could it be a younger child? When I was Asha's age our school assigned us 'buddies' that we had in a younger grade. We would read to them and do activities together. Makes me wonder.

I wonder if the library book was stamped with a date AFTER Asha went missing or BEFORE she was at student at the school? Either would be a good explanation for the FBI stating that Asha didn’t check out the book.

Another thought, the library did not obtain the book until after Asha disappeared or the book had been lost by another student at an earlier date therefore Asha couldn’t have checked out the book as it wasn’t even in the school library to be checked out?

Snipped by me from
Looking for Asha — FBI

Snipped by me from

I too, think Asha may have checked out that book from her school library. The book was stamped property of that library. If it wasn’t Asha who checked it out, it was someone who had the ability to check out books from that school. That would be another student, a teacher, a teacher’s aide, a school employee.

I wonder if the library book was stamped with a date AFTER Asha went missing or BEFORE she was at student at the school? Either would be a good explanation for the FBI stating that Asha didn’t check out the book.

Another thought, the library did not obtain the book until after Asha disappeared or the book had been lost by another student at an earlier date therefore Asha couldn’t have checked out the book as it wasn’t even in the school library to be checked out?
Law Enforcement said the book was checked out in “early 2000”. To me that sounds like January or February. We know the last day Asha went to school was Thursday, February 10th. The next day (Friday) was a school holiday for students, and Asha disappeared on Monday morning, February 14th.

The buried bag is such a weird detail in this case. There's never been any proof that she was abducted by anyone, and no suspect has been identified, therefore why would someone choose to dump the bag? Why not simply keep hold of it or throw it away? Why dump it in a construction site of all places, where it could be unearthed? And why include potentially incriminating items? It feels like someone wanted it to be found but why?

Speaking of which, being the same age as Asha NKOTB wasn't big in our generation, and Nsync would have made more sense.

Very good point.

NKOTB broke up in 1994- when Asha was about three or four years old. This would have literally been a life time ago to a pre teen girl. Though some sources state that Asha was sheltered, she still attended a public school and would have had full knowledge of the day's latest and coolest boy bands such as.... Nsync.

The discrepancy of a NKOTB being given to her in 2000 could support the scenario of an abductor not being familiar with trending youth culture, yet perhaps trying to momentarily comfort her by giving her a gift that she may relate to.

Most teachers who had direct contact with elementary school girls would probably know that NKOTB had faded out for some reason or another. Thus an abductor from this group would probably get a current shirt. But, a custodian, cafeteria worker, office staff or administrator etc. could well have only tertiary knowledge of trending boy groups and fall back on a faded band.

Likewise, perhaps the apparent provision of a comfort gift indicates an abductor being fixated on her and seeking to forcibly incorporate her into their family?

The fact that Asha was studious, well mannered and sheltered could increase her appeal to some individuals with this motivation. Were there any school staff with no children, yet had expressed a strong desire to have a child, and perhaps had openly verbalized on occasions that Asha was "perfect"?

Such a person may of been having trouble conceiving, been turned down by or had spent alot of money on higher end adoption agencies, or had just ended a relationship that had potential for conception etc. They then gravitate to Asha as a "solution"?

Last edited:
I've allways wondered why her backpack was wrapped in plastic before being buried. If someone was trying to hide it then why plastic. It would deteriorate quicker without that protection. Was someone deliberately trying to preserve it and why? This case is local for me and I think of Asha.
Just a guess, but maybe to conceal scent from K-9s. IMO, I think it speaks to the probability of the UnS being from Burke County.

Just a guess, but maybe to conceal scent from K-9s. IMO, I think it speaks to the probability of the UnS being from Burke County.
Welcome to Websleuths! I read thru this entire thread and I also think the perp was local.

Ideas that occurred to me, the perp met her at the building and they left in a vehicle, or even on an ATV, which wouldn’t necessarily be out of place.

The bag being buried strikes me as someone who was either a family member of the perp, possibly too frightened to speak up, or the perp themselves being near their life end. Removing evidence maybe from their home prior to moving, dying, etc.

The only other idea is a teen from the area who attended the gathering but I really think it was an adult. To hide a body takes resources and time. A teen would be noticeably missing from school.

The extra book may have been checked out by the child or family member of the perp. If you think about crimes like the Carly Brucia murder, the perp had young daughters of his own. But yet he chose another family’s child to abduct.

The more facts I have learned about this case over the years the less I feel that I actually know about the case. I'm sure there's more to it, law enforcement has made statements about the car (it was occupied at least two times, etc.) that make me believe they really do have some sort of idea. What we almost never get are the interviews they have with people, I'm sure there are local tidbits of info that we will just never get on the internet - like whatever has caused police to clear her parents so firmly (they march alongside her in the annual parade in her honor, I really think they feel they are blameless).

I used to be positive, 100% that she was groomed. But I'm just not so sure anymore. It's an incredibly weird case, it's probably one of the cases I'd use my 3 wishes on if I ever found a magic lamp.
asha's case jennifer jesse (orlando) and the yogurt murders in austin texas. Would be my 3 wishes. Difficult to pick 3.

Asha Jaquilla Degree
  • asha_jaquilla_degree_1.jpg
  • asha_jaquilla_degree_2.jpg
  • asha_jaquilla_degree_3.jpg
  • degree_asha4.jpg
  • asha_jaquilla_degree_5.jpg
Asha, circa 2000
  • Missing Since 02/14/2000
  • Missing From Shelby, North Carolina
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race Black
  • Date of Birth 08/05/1990 (29)
  • Age 9 years old
  • Height and Weight 4'6, 60 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description Possibly a white shirt, white jeans and white sneakers.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics African-American female. Black hair, brown eyes. Asha may style her hair in pigtails. Her name is pronounced "Ay-sha."
Details of Disappearance

Asha resided with her family in an apartment on Oakcrest Street in Shelby, North Carolina in 2000. She was last seen inside her home at approximately 2:30 a.m. on February 14, 2000. Asha's father went to sleep at that time and told authorities his daughter was asleep in her bed when he checked on her.

Asha shared a room with her older brother, who stated that he heard noises during the early morning hours and assumed his sister was tossing in her sleep. Asha's mother went into her room at approximately 6:30 a.m. to wake her children for school and discovered Asha was not in her bed.

The family immediately summoned authorities and an extensive search of the surrounding area was initialized, with no result. Asha has never been heard from again.

Two truck drivers reported seeing her walking south on Highway 18 north of Shelby between 3:30 and 4:15 a.m. Asha was apparently near the intersection of Highway 180 at the time, about a mile from her home. She left the highway at this point and walked off into the darkness. It was the last confirmed sighting of the child.

Asha may have been sighted getting into a distinctive dark green early 1970s model car on the night she was last seen. The vehicle, which had rust around the wheel wells, is thought to have been either a Lincoln Mark IV or a Ford Thunderbird. Photos of similar cars are posted with this case summary.

Investigators believe Asha left her residence of her own accord. She is described as being quiet, shy person and a good student with a happy home life, and her reasons for leaving aren't clear. Asha's basketball team lost a game, their first loss in the season, the day before her disappearance. Her family said she was upset over the loss, but she calmed down within a few hours.

Asha's fourth-grade class at Fallston Elementary School read the book The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman in February 2000. The book centers around the story of a prince and a commoner child who receives lashes on the royal's behalf. The children proceed to run away and the book details their adventures. Both boys return safely to the kingdom at the story's end. It is not known if the book served as a catalyst for Asha's disappearance.

Asha's black book bag and black Tweety Bird purse were missing from her room after her disappearance, along with a pair of blue jeans with a red stripe, black sneakers, a long-sleeved white shirt with purple lettering, a red vest with black trim, black overalls with Tweety Bird on them, and a long-sleeved black and white shirt. All the doors to the house were found locked; Asha kept her house key in the bookbag.

Asha's pencil, marker and Mickey Mouse hair bow were discovered on the ground in the doorway of a tool shed at Turner's Upholstery on Highway 18 on February 17, 2000, three days after her disappearance. Her belongings were found near the stretch of road where Asha was seen walking in the early morning hours of February 14. A search of the area failed to produce additional evidence. The items were discovered more than one mile from Asha's residence.

A contractor uncovered Asha's book bag, which has her name and telephone number written on it, buried off Highway 18 in August 2001, 18 months after she disappeared. The item had been double-wrapped in black plastic trash bags and was found more than 26 miles from her family's home and in a different direction from where she'd been walking. Nearby some animal bones and a pair of men's khaki pants were found.

The bag was sent to a federal laboratory for testing, but, citing the pending investigation, authorities never released the results. Unconfirmed reports state the bag contained Asha's name on a piece of paper, as well as clothing and a pencil case. In October of that year, a plastic trash bag similar to the one Asha's bookbag was wrapped in was found. The bag was sent to a police lab for analysis.

Investigators announced that they considered Asha's disappearance to be a criminal matter and foul play was suspected after the bookbag's discovery. The surrounding area was thoroughly searched afterwards, but additional evidence was reportedly not located. A photo of some of Asha's personal items is posted with this case summary.

Investigating Agency
  • Cleveland County Sheriff's Office 704-484-4822
Source Information

I don't remember if anyone has found this information yet so I will just post it and see what other people think but I've been doing some research on the New Kids on the Block t-shirt that her family couldn't identify. That shirt was sold during the Magic Summer Tour of 1990 it was a sleep shirt, one size fits all available in blue trim or red trim. That tour only had 3 shows in North Carolina one on Jan. 5th at the Charlotte Coliseum, the next one Aug. 9th at American Legion Memorial Stadium in Charlotte and the last one was Aug. 15th at Groves Stadium in Winston-Salem. It would be like looking for a needle in a hay stack to attempt to track down everyone that was at those concerts but if someone from the area were she went missing is responsible for her disappearance maybe someone would remember them going to one of these concerts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove