NC NC - Blake Deven & London Deven, missing dates and ages are uncertain, FBI involved, Fayetteville

just answered my own question (I think)

Many of the children available for adoption through the North Carolina child welfare system are eligible for monthly payments, medical benefits and other services. The monthly adoption assistance payment in North Carolina is based on the age of the child and the child's specific special needs.

Age Rate
0-5 $702
6-12 $742
13+ $810
Special provisions can be made for

HIV children, including:
$800 (indeterminate HIV status)
$1,000 (confirmed HIV-infected, asymptomatic)
$1,200 (confirmed HIV-infected, symptomatic)
$1,600 (terminally ill with complex care needs); and
If the placing county participates in the Special Children Adoption Incentive Fund and the state budget has funds to add new children, Children with Therapeutic Needs may be able to negotiate a rate up to the foster care rate the child has been receiving. This rate is only possible when negotiating the rate for the initial agreement.
North Carolina State Adoption Assistance Program - Families Rising
I agree with you that this was likely a financial decision and perhaps the decision to adopt more children with special needs was due to the additional stipend. I do wonder if Blake and London were singled out for harsher treatment due to their additional special needs. (perhaps moreso over the other children.) ALL MOO

Her reasoning behind adopting all those children almost had to be financial. Do adoptive parents get a stipend for their children after the adoption has been completed in NC? I know fosters do but what about after the adoption is complete?
I just don't get why this woman would have adopted children she clearly didn't want for any reason other than to torture unless there was some financial benefit to her. and if adoptive parents do not receive a stipend why on earth would she have gone through with adopting when financially it would be more beneficial to stay a foster to them?

I know I am not articulating this well, pardon my stream of conscious train of thought here.
Bryanna said (in the podcast) that Ava worked with London in a professional capacity before adopting her. I don’t know if this is substantiated anywhere, but I think it could be relevant if true.

I also think it’s entirely possible that Ava was relatively normal when she adopted Bryanna and London/Moriah, maybe even when she adopted the boys. It’s possible the abuse or an increase in abuse was triggered by something like increased stress from having multiple special needs children or being a caretaker for her mother. My general impression is that things didn’t start off awful—just weird—and they continued to degrade as time went on and the Deven family withdrew further and further.

Bryanna said (in the podcast) that Ava worked with London in a professional capacity before adopting her. I don’t know if this is substantiated anywhere, but I think it could be relevant if true.

I also think it’s entirely possible that Ava was relatively normal when she adopted Bryanna and London/Moriah, maybe even when she adopted the boys. It’s possible the abuse or an increase in abuse was triggered by something like increased stress from having multiple special needs children or being a caretaker for her mother. My general impression is that things didn’t start off awful—just weird—and they continued to degrade as time went on and the Deven family withdrew further and further.
She was born and raised in a weird cult ran by a con-artist who appears to be her father so I believe things started weird and got really bad over the years. I'm glad her poor mother got to have medical care in her last days, I can't imagine what she would do to her mother had she passed away in her home. I don't know if Leonie was a good or a bad person, but nobody deserves what happened to Blake and London. Bryanna clearly has A LOT of issues and judging by what has been shared, the two surviving boys will need a lot of help too.

I agree with you that this was likely a financial decision and perhaps the decision to adopt more children with special needs was due to the additional stipend. I do wonder if Blake and London were singled out for harsher treatment due to their additional special needs. (perhaps moreso over the other children.) ALL MOO
Does anyone know what special needs Blake and London had?

She was born and raised in a weird cult ran by a con-artist who appears to be her father so I believe things started weird and got really bad over the years. I'm glad her poor mother got to have medical care in her last days, I can't imagine what she would do to her mother had she passed away in her home. I don't know if Leonie was a good or a bad person, but nobody deserves what happened to Blake and London. Bryanna clearly has A LOT of issues and judging by what has been shared, the two surviving boys will need a lot of help too.
bbm
Has it been confirmed Robert Adams was her father? His quotes keep popping up in my FB meditation-zen groups and he seems to be quite respected. I'd be surprised, but I guess anything is possible.

bbm
Has it been confirmed Robert Adams was her father? His quotes keep popping up in my FB meditation-zen groups and he seems to be quite respected. I'd be surprised, but I guess anything is possible.
After Robert Adams passed away, Nicole Adams and Avantae Deven were both listed on a deed to a house in Arizona.
She has also had a business license for Adam’s Infinity Institute in every state that
she has lived in since Arizona.

Last edited:
After Robert Adams passed away, Nicole Adams and Avantae Deven were both listed on a deed to a house in Arizona.
She has also had a business license for Adam’s Infinity Institute in every state that
she has lived in since Arizona.
I have seen those. I was wondering if it's been confirmed. "Robert Adams" is a very common name. But would be a twist for sure.

Nobody has posted a birth certificate for Avantae. Someone posted a rare photo of Nicole and Robert before he passed away in the fb group. Nicole/Leonie was 95 when she passed away which would make her close to the age that Avantae is now in the photo. There is some resemblance to her mother.View attachment 514199
I saw the picture that was supposedly Leonie, and I didn't see any resemblance at all aside from the curly hair.

bbm I wonder if it's Blake and he was severely malnourished. Probably didn't receive any dental care either. These poor kids. Who decided this woman was fit to care for kids?
I would also like to know if she was receiving checks for her adopted kids and/or any other people she was supposed to be caring for. IMO it sounds like she used the system and these poor kids as a cash cow and for her twisted abuse.

*Enka, NC

Before the Devens moved to Fayetteville, it appears Avantae Deven was living in Buncombe County — IRS tax records show her living in Enka, an unincorporated community there, while she was the registered agent for a nonprofit called the Infinity Institute from 2011 to 2016.

The Infinity Institute was established in Nevada by Robert Adams, a teacher of a philosophy of Hinduism called Advaita Vedanta, in 1996, according to the nonprofit’s website and Nevada state records.

Property records show an LLC created in New Mexico owns Avantae Deven’s Berriedale Drive home. According to records from the New Mexico Secretary of State’s website, Avantae Deven registered the LLC, called Nelson & Johnson, under a Sedona, Arizona, address in September 2016. The LLC’s purpose was listed as “gatherings for various artists [sic] showings and book sharing/readings.”
Great research!

Blake Deven’s biological mother said he never wanted to go back home with his adopted mom after visits.

“I had a scar on the side of my neck from where he scratched me, clawing at me, begging me, not to let them put him back in her car,” said Felicia Chandler, Blake’s biological mom.

Chandler said those visits abruptly stopped and she was told her young son didn’t want to talk to her anymore. She was hoping this year she could reunite with her first born, since he would have turned 18 years old in May.

That was a huge red flag. Instead of finding out why he was so upset about going back to Avantae, the case worker stopped the visits with Felicia.

Blake Deven’s biological mother said he never wanted to go back home with his adopted mom after visits.

“I had a scar on the side of my neck from where he scratched me, clawing at me, begging me, not to let them put him back in her car,” said Felicia Chandler, Blake’s biological mom.

Chandler said those visits abruptly stopped and she was told her young son didn’t want to talk to her anymore. She was hoping this year she could reunite with her first born, since he would have turned 18 years old in May.
This is depressing. His poor bio mom wouldn’t have been able to do anything even though she probably knew that was beyond typical acting out or something for him. That’s messed up. I’m also so sad that she was excited to see him again soon once he was 18. She must have had her own difficulties when he was young and I don’t know what they are but she still wanted to be a part of his life and that shows that she did have maternal care for him unlike his depraved adopted mother. I can only imagine staying with bio mom had to have been better. The foster system needs to be fixed.

I would also like to know if she was receiving checks for her adopted kids and/or any other people she was supposed to be caring for. IMO it sounds like she used the system and these poor kids as a cash cow and for her twisted abuse.
There was a long list of thank you's to different agencies on the official LE release. One was the US Postal Service, I was wondering about that. Aside from getting money for the kids, maybe she was ordering stuff in their names too and kept them herself.

There was a long list of thank you's to different agencies on the official LE release. One was the US Postal Service, I was wondering about that. Aside from getting money for the kids, maybe she was ordering stuff in their names too and kept them herself.
I think they helped trace her movements over the years, what with the address and name changes and all

Could be, but I think it could be a federal mail fraud case (in addition to all other charges) if she was receiving checks for them via the mail knowing they were already dead.

Could be, but I think it could be a federal mail fraud case (in addition to all other charges) if she was receiving checks for them via the mail knowing they were already dead.
Oh, very good point, I didn't even think of that. And I'm sure she did, since no one knew they were even missing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soraxtm
Back