NC NC - Blake Deven & London Deven, missing dates and ages are uncertain, FBI involved, Fayetteville

Where did Leonie live before she was hospitalized?
*Enka, NC

Before the Devens moved to Fayetteville, it appears Avantae Deven was living in Buncombe County — IRS tax records show her living in Enka, an unincorporated community there, while she was the registered agent for a nonprofit called the Infinity Institute from 2011 to 2016.

The Infinity Institute was established in Nevada by Robert Adams, a teacher of a philosophy of Hinduism called Advaita Vedanta, in 1996, according to the nonprofit’s website and Nevada state records.

Property records show an LLC created in New Mexico owns Avantae Deven’s Berriedale Drive home. According to records from the New Mexico Secretary of State’s website, Avantae Deven registered the LLC, called Nelson & Johnson, under a Sedona, Arizona, address in September 2016. The LLC’s purpose was listed as “gatherings for various artists [sic] showings and book sharing/readings.”

It sounds as if Cherish/Bryanna has been a key witness to leading LE to an understanding of what specific abuses were common in Avantae's house of horrors. I hope LE are finding plenty of corroborative evidence of those abuses. Because the remains were partial and were skelatal in nature, I worry that starvation or any other COD will be difficult to prove in trial. I want this to be an airtight case. At least as much as possible. I do not want her getting off because she managed to hide her crimes for so long.

I want to be sure she never ever ever sees freedom again.

I am thinking of Trenton's siblings, his mother and Moriah's mother. I imagine the news orgs are actively seeking their resposne to the latest news now that it is public.

I hope they are all surrounded by supportive folks.

It sounds as if Cherish/Bryanna has been a key witness to leading LE to an understanding of what specific abuses were common in Avantae's house of horrors. I hope LE are finding plenty of corroborative evidence of those abuses. Because the remains were partial and were skelatal in nature, I worry that starvation or any other COD will be difficult to prove in trial. I want this to be an airtight case. At least as much as possible. I do not want her getting off because she managed to hide her crimes for so long.

I want to be sure she never ever ever sees freedom again.
It sounds like the two youngest boys corroborated what she had told them.
Even if the defense was able to discredit her somehow, it would be much harder to
discount anything that was shared by all three of them.

Catherine Hubbard (formerly Catherine Burris) says she was a case worker for the Deven family between 2011 and 2013. She and I sat and talked about her experience with Avantae Deven, who is accused of murdering her children and orchestrating a lot to conceal their bodies. At 6PM on WRAL TV— join our conversation about this, and the challenges foster care case workers face.

This is from reporter Chris Lovingood’s fb page.

Deven is charged with first-degree murder, concealment of death, kidnapping and felony child abuse. If convicted on the murder charges alone, Deven could face the death penalty.

Mods are allowing an interview of Bryanna Morrow (also known as Cherish Deven) on The Murder Hour to be shared:
(this podcast is not an approved source)

Bryanna's interview starts about 25 minutes in. The whole thing is quite long and the podcasters are (IMO) not strong interviewers, so it's a little tough to get through. In it, Bryanna sometimes makes allusions to things that I believe she learned from online sleuths and social media rumor, and not from any special knowledge she has from her relationship with Avantae (eg. when she says she thinks Avantae's name is Michelle)

Apologies if you've suffered through any of my other long posts recently, but here are the notes I took on the podcast, with timestamps:
  • Bryanna comes in around 25:00
  • 26:00 - Bryanna was taken from her mother when she was 5, then went to Ava in 2007 and was adopted in 2008. Went to public school and private school, then says she got pulled from school in 2007. Says London was actually taken care of by Ava (not in a fostering capacity), and London knew her by Moriah, but she wasn’t adopted until 2011. Ava had some sort of therapeutic profession working with children.
  • 29:00 - Says Ava told her her mother died of a stroke and her brother died by suicide, but her mother is actually alive. Bryanna was the first child Ava adopted (or, there were no other kids in the house when she was adopted). Says 3 years later (~2011) they moved out to a country house, she doesn’t remember the address but it was in Madison County, and that’s when Moriah came in to the picture. Says when they moved to the house at 24 Sluder Branch (?) in Asheville, it was because a lot of money was owed for damages.
  • 31:40 - Said she wasn’t actually homeschooled, she was given schoolwork pages to do, and made to write sentences and paragraphs. Said if she didn’t finish them she wasn’t allowed to eat. Said she wouldn’t eat for a week sometimes.
  • 33:10 - Chris Lovingood comes in about this time and asks if it was common for them to not get to eat. Bryanna says it was common in the house hold and the only people who didn’t get that punishment were the two littlest boys (Nav/Devin and Mateo/Gabe)
  • 34:00 - Bryanna says she would sometimes steal food and as a result Ava would beat “us” with a metal curtain rod, with a vacuum. That she would hold Bryanna’s hair and stomp on her chest and at one time threw her down 15 steps and broke her arm. Chris asks if anyone checked on them. Bryanna said after they were adopted, no one came in and checked on them and that Ava made her house look like it was very family oriented. After the boys were adopted no one came around.
  • 35:00 - Left the Sluder branch house after about 5 years and then moved to Fayetteville in 2015.
  • 37:00 - Says she would put Moriah and her in baggy clothes if they lost weight. Mentions being sexually assaulted in 2018, and detectives have photos of her wearing a baggy sweater in the middle of summer.
  • 37:30 - Chris asks about the sexual assault and if it was someone in the household. Bryanna: “um, it was when we moved to the Eichelberger house that's when it happened, yes.” It is not clear if Bryanna is saying the sexual assault was committed by someone in the household. Bryanna says there was an active investigation, but when Ava said it was Bryanna’s fault it happened, she got her stuff and left.
  • 38:00 - Says she ran away many times including when she wa 15. Mentions sleeping outside in a bush where Ava couldn’t see (presumably this is outside of one of the houses). Says she was afraid to leave the house.
  • 38:39 - Bryanna: “and then she would blame my mental issues on me, like she would say, for instance if I was like, 11 years old, “I'm an 8-year-old in an 11-year-old's body” and that's not the case, I actually have my brain scan I have everything, I'm not younger than in my age.”
  • 39:55: Chris asks how old she was at the time of the sexual assault, Bryanna says 17. Podcast host asks if Blake would have been seen by detectives at this time, and Bryanna says the younger boys would have been caught on police body cams, but most of the time they were locked in the bathroom as punishment (for stealing, etc.)
  • 42:20 - “So in the Sluder Branch house, um, there were multiple times I would be in there (the bathroom) for a month, but she would throw us like bread and water. Um, there were times where Leonie, Maxwell, would have to–and this is the time she was getting her blood clots and everything–she would walk up the 15 stairs to come feed us all and sneak us food.” Confirms Leonie is Ava’s mother.
  • 42:50 - Podcast host asks about Ava’s relationship with her mother. Bryanna says she’s just learning about some of it now. “I remember them calling each other by their name, like she would say “Nicole,” instead of “mom,” or Leonie would be “Avantae”, um, I don’t know why they did that because when you’re younger you’re like “isn’t that your mom?” “Sometimes they would argue, sometimes you know she would take us away from the beatings, um, and then Ava would [unclear] saying, ‘Oh, well, you’re enabling her.’”
  • 44:05 - Bryanna says the abuse got worse as with time and as the kids got older. Says her and Moriah would sometimes steal dog food and cat food just to eat.
  • 44:50 - Bryanna is asked about her relationship with Moriah and Blake/Trenton. She says she and Moriah mostly did their own things. Moriah was quiet, had been diagnosed with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, and would not be able to live independently. Said she got along well with Blake, with all of the boys. Said Ava told the detectives investigating Blake’s disappearance that Bryanna didn’t get along with any of them, but Felicia (Blake’s bio mom) knows she got along great with the boys.
  • 46:00 - Says the middle boy was Ava’s favorite (presumably Nav/Devin) because she felt like he needed more support. Called him “her baby”
  • 46:50 - Says Moriah was incontinent and was not able to shower herself, and Ava would put a garbage bag on her “and let her sit in it.” Podcast hosts don’t ask follow up questions.
  • 47:40 - Says she got along with Ava for like 3 years 8-11, then things changed and they had a bad relationship.
  • 48:39 - Says she ceased all contact with Ava when everything started happening, but did send her one text/email on March 28, upset that Ava allegedly claimed that Bryanna had a bad relationship with the boys, which Ava apparently claimed was a threat.
  • 49:20 - Says she stopped getting taken to a doctor when she was 10. The two younger boys were regularly taken to the doctor because the middle boy (Nav/Devin) had to be put on Intuniv, and she thinks Blake was on adderall. But that they weren’t taken to the doctor regularly.
  • 50:16 - Chris does a good recap of what has been said so far**
  • 51:30 - Regarding the legal case surrounding the sexual assault in 2018, says she was going to court after she left Ava’s house and stayed in Fayetteville for 6 months before moving to Florida with her ex-husband, but that she stopped going to court.
  • 52:40 - Says the Buddhist retreat is a figment of Ava’s imagination. Says when she was 13, actually 12, Bryanna went to stay with her aunt Amber in Scottsdale, AZ for a 8 months to a year. Says she was 89lbs when she left and 180 when she got back. There was never a Buddhist retreat, but they visited Phoenix, AZ and San Diego, CA. They would wake up and do yoga and drink chai tea but it wasn’t a Buddhist retreat. Says she is the one referenced in the 911 phonecall, but Ava lied about it. Says she got sent back because she was *advertiser censored*-talking Ava to Amber, and Ava didn’t like that Amber was hearing bad things about her.
  • 56:23 - On the 911 phone call, says it was a lie for Blake to have been at the Pamalee and Morganton (?) Neighborhood Market, which has been closed for 4 years. (Walmart grocery stores are called Walmart Neighborhood Markets).
  • 57:30 - Bryanna says Ava asked her if she wanted to change her name after she was adopted, and Bryanna wanted to be Pocahontas but Ava picked Cherish.
  • 58:00 - Says when she was married her grandma was known as Nicole Adams, but her actual name is Leonie Aileen Beverly Maxwell. It is unclear if Bryanna knows this from personal knowledge or from the reports of online sleuths.
  • 59:00 - Confirms Robert Adams is Ava’s biological father.
  • 1:01:00 - Says Ava used to work with children but after she adopted Moriah that kind of stopped. Says she got paid as a caregiver for Leonie by Absolutely Divine on Owen Drive, but Ava didn’t actually do anything and had the kids do things.
  • 1:02:00 - The podcast hosts start talking about Leonie’s legal statuses, and Bryanna says she didn’t know anything about it. They then start talking about Ava stealing Leonie’s money and living off of it, but I’m not sure this is backed up by any outside reporting, and Bryanna is not saying she has personal knowledge of it.
  • Talks more about what Leonie did for her, how she considered her a mother.
  • 1:06:30 - Says after her first FB live and she was connected with her biological mother: “Ava had made up um lies about me and my fiance um she stated in paperwork since she got the boys taken from her that he was pretending to be Blake which was never the case. Um and he straight up told her “no” and she got mad and then lied and said that he physically pushed her down in the garage and resulting her in her having to buy a sling for her arm cuz he broke it. Um, so they came and took my child away. They came and took my, um, nine-month-old daughter away all because of a liar um. Let me, let me make this one thing very clear: Jordan, in his past he's seen his mom get beat up and he will never touch a woman. He actually beat up his stepdad for that, um, so I know as a fact that that would never had happened he would never push Ava down in that garage where's the proof? Where's your, where's your X-ray honey? Bring it to the court.”
  • 1:07:25 - Chris asks what Bryanna would say to Ava right now if she could. Bryanna: “You need to face what you've done. Stop hiding.
  • Bryanna can’t say when the last time she saw Blake/Trenton.
  • 1:08:50 - Is asked about homeschooling and says every November they did school testing. She recalls being 15 and doing only half the testing book because she didn’t know anything, and Ava did the rest for her. “How I got a college diploma, I mean a high school diploma, I have no idea. Um I remember getting married to my fiance–my ex-husband, and I got it shipped in the mail to me and she was like ‘there's your high school diploma’ so that was a surprise to me cuz I had known nothing. Um, I can tell you I don't even know how to spell to this day, no multiplications nothing, um, so I don't know how I got that but I did get it. But she would never sit there and do it with you. And to be honest with you the two youngest boys have a grade level of a kindergarten.”** Says they are 15 and 13
    • This conflicts with what she said earlier about Ava lying about her having the brain of an 8 year old at 11.
  • 1:11:00 - Says Devin(/Nav) was the favorite, Gabe was mostly in his own world and doing his own thing. She at one point got along with Blake and references a photo of him where he’s smiling and looks “fatter” and says that is when they were getting along. Says she never had a boyfriend and the divorce was finalized a month before she got Bryanna. Doubts Ava had a psychology degree but thinks she had a therapeutic license.
  • 1:13:30 - Podcast host asks about the limited photos available. Bryanna says she left in 2018 and didn’t return until 2021, and then she stayed there for 2 months and then left to go back to FL at that time there were no photos hanging in the house. Says she had photos on her computer and iPad but she wasn’t taking pictures all the time. Said Devin and Gabe do have photos because they would take her computer.
  • 1:15:00 - Says she can’t answer if Blake was in the house when she came back in 2021. Says she was in Florida because that’s where her fiance was and he needed 2 months to get his crap together. Was in Longwood and New Smyrna. Says she also had been addicted to drugs at that point and was getting clean, and her drug use was a coping mechanism for the trauma of her upbringing.
  • 1:16:00 - Says Blake/Trenton knew he was adopted, but the younger boys didn’t.
  • 1:17:00 - Chris has to go. Some things are breaking up. Bryanna says she wants a law passed that newly adopted kids are required to be checked up on for at least a year and a half and spoken to separately. Says Ava taught the kids to lie for her.
  • 1:18:00 - Is asked about Ava’s religion. Bryanna says she was never really into it and didn’t like that Ava was forcing her. Sometimes she was into meditation. Ava would play spiritual music all of the time and in one of Leonie’s books there is an album, and Bryanna is on that album.
  • 1:20:00 - Says her daughter is in a foster home and she gets to see her for two hours every Tuesday, but she doesn’t know where she is. Also seems like there is a question she is responding to about pets dying: when cats or a dog died, she would leave them wrapped in a blanket for 7 days so their soul could leave their body.
  • 1:22:30 - Can’t answer a question of why Ava wanted Jordan to impersonate Blake to DSS. Says she knows the answer but can’t say.
  • 1:23:00 - Breaking up a lot, but says something about an allegation for which she has paperwork saying she took “him” and Naverone to the “CAC” (?) in Fayetteville, which is not the case because a friend was there and it was actually Mateo and Naverone, and they went a day early and Bryanna couldn’t take them the next day so the boys had her give Ava permission to take them.
    • I have no idea what this means.
    • Might be Child Advocacy Center?
  • 1:24:00 - Is asked if Ava ever had the older ones abuse or physically punish the younger ones. Bryanna says she never beat up the little ones but “I do know that Devin got out of hand sometimes, so she would have me sit there, and, um, on the floor with him and restrain him because he would throw, bite (?), punch, um, when he wasn’t on his medication. Um, but it wasn’t hard, it wasn’t nothing at all, and when he did pull my hair, when he did bite me, I just walked away. But never would I ever intentionally hurt those kids, no, okay.” “That would be Eichelberger when I had to restrain him, yes.”
  • 1:26:00 - Says Ava is going to court every Wednesday to fight for the kids but she should know she’s not getting them back. Said she started going for her own court case she thinks on April 17th and was surprised to see Ava there. Detectives told her to keep her distance from Ava.
  • 1:26:45 - “She made me, um, the bad guy the entire time. She told detectives that I was the ringleader of this *advertiser censored*. Really? I was 17.” “You’re a grown adult, you’re supposed to be the parent. I’m not in charge of anything. I’m a child myself.”
  • 1:27:00 - Is asked who is David Novick?** “Um I hear that he's a family friend I don't know him I've never seen him. I've heard him on the phone with my grandmother, um, I think that's who's going to be taking custody of her hopefully, um if anything, um, like that goes occurs, um. I hear he was a family friend I know that they were supposed to go to Arizona and have him pick up all the stuff from storage, but I don't really know anything about that. I was, I was too young to pay attention.”
  • 1:28:30 - Says Ava’s sister passed away** and Ava never got along with Bryanna’s uncle. Has never seen anyone with her at court.
  • 1:29:00 - Podcast hosts ask if it’s possible the Buddhist retreat Ava is referencing in the 911 call is like what was done with Bryanna, sending Blake to Amber’s. Bryanna says Amber had passed away by that point. Says she was 18 weeks pregnant with her son and in Mississippi when she found out about Amber’s passing**
  • 1:30:20 - Podcast hosts ask why Amber and Leonie didn’t report the abuse. Bryanna: “Honestly I think Leone was afraid and I think that her sister, my Aunt, thought I was lying about it and kind of fabricating, okay, but I wasn't. Um everything I said was true. everything was facts, um, like I said. I still have multiple scars from it and from her, um you know and I'm going to live with a trauma every single day that I'm alive.” Says she’s guessing Leonie might have been afraid Ava would about Leonie, but Leonie tried her hardest and definitely didn’t abuse Ava.
  • 1:32:10 - Thinks questions were starting to be asked and that’s why Ava reported Blake/Trenton missing, but can’t say more.
  • 1:35:00 - Says she was never given a phone or allowed around computers. Says when the sexual assault happened (2018), Leonie was in the hospital and Bryanna had: “gotten the guy’s phone number–you know, young old me–um, and I kept his number because I had feeling that I was going to have to leave soon. And, um, I snuck on the phone and I had called him over to invite him over just to hang outside while I was cleaning up outside, and, um, Ava saw it and started, like, yelling at me in front of everybody, and the dude was like, ‘how are you going to sit there and tell her that she can’t leave, she’s 18, you don’t control her anymore, she can leave whenever she wants.’” I literally took the dress I had on and the clips that I had in my hair and left with that and never came back and that was the day that she told me it was my fault for getting assaulted.”
    • It’s not entirely clear to me if she says “the guy” as in the guy who assaulted her, or “a guy”
  • 1:37:00 - Says she got “some devastating new the other day, um, so now I’m in protective custody.” Says she’s farther away from her job and lost it because she couldn’t get a ride and missed a day. The audio is breaking up here and it’s not entirely clear but it sounds like she’s living with her “mother” (possibly her bio mom, but I think more likely Jordan’s mom, Crystal Bullard, who she has referred to as a mother and sister) and that she wants to make sure her daughter goes with Jordan’s aunt instead of in foster care. Doesn’t want what happened to her to happen to her daughter. Is asked if the protective custody is related to Ava, Bryanna hesitates then says yes.
  • 1:39:24 - Says Ava lied (it is in paperwork) and claimed Bryanna and Jordan were “over there” on certain days when they were in a different town. Says Ava’s neighbor next door has cameras.
  • 1:40:00 - Said the boys went to the dentist, they went to Rainbow Pediatrics, but that they were always switching doctors for some reason, sometimes that Nav/Devin didn’t get along.
  • 1:41:00 - Says she was the teenager the neighbor saw smoking would have been her coming back when she was 21 for those two months. Starts to say that “she had told me that” and then cuts herself off and says that would be getting into the investigation. Says she doesn’t know if the neighbor is lying but she doesn’t look like Moriah**
  • 1:42:20 - Confirms there is misinformation she’d like to correct but can’t because of the investigation.
  • 1:42:50 - Says when they were living at Eichelberger they had to go to court a lot to fight their neighbors. Their neighbors were abusing their dog and would poke sticks through the fence and cut open his mouth. Says “it’s funny how she never wanted to go to court, but she had me go, which says something right there to me. And I never thought about that until I got older. Why have an 18 year old go to court for you and fight for you over your dog? Why couldn’t you stand up in court and fight? Yes and I had to go in there like five times, like it was different court cases, like there was a verbel altercation, and then there was a next door neighbor, and then it was the next door neighbor again. Like, why have a 17 and 18 year old do that, I don’t get that, I never did.”
  • Podcasts hosts go off in a tangent ranting about how Ava is guilty
  • 1:46:40 - Says Leonie never lied, didn’t tell lies in her book, and lived her life the way she said. Said the book can be gotten off of Amazon: Married to the Mystic Robert Adams, and Bryanna is on the CD. Says there were never lies in the book. Someone in the chat is making comments or questions about it. Says Leonie was born in the Cayman Islands and Ava changing her name is not Leonie’s fault. Says no one knows what Ava’s real name is.
  • 1:49:00 - Says she doesn’t think Ava is fully Jamaican but might have it in her. Says Leonie is 100% Jamaican. Says someone was born in the Cayman Islands, but it’s not clear if she’s referring to Ava or Leonie, but that she sold her property before Bryanna left.
  • 1:51:00 - Says they left Asheville because Ava didn’t want to keep running into DSS people. Says they left quickly because they owed $68 grand in damage. Clarifying the nature of the damage would be jeopardizing the case.
  • More technical difficulties
  • 1:54:45 - Says she doesn’t have any photos of Ava, but there are plenty at Ava’s house and on Leonie’s dresser. Says she never had social media and freaked out when she found out Bryanna had social media.
  • 1:55:55 - “Um she actually had me deactivate it when DSS started getting involved for…this all originated because Naverone, well Devin had hit Mateo in the head with a metal pipe. This is how the investigation all started. And then he went to the hospital and said that Ava had broken his arm, which I don’t know about that.” Clarifies Mateo is Gabe.
  • 1:56:30 - Thinks Ava’s name might be Michelle. Thinks she might remember having seen a birth certificate but she’s not sure, it’s just a hazy memory from when she was like 7. Reiterates this whole thing got started because “they” (DSS) wanted to speak to all three boys.
  • 1:57:15 - “I will say this: there were many times where I didn’t, I didn’t, um, do my paperwork when I was little, and when we moved out to the Madison house, she had me stand out in the snow and do it, naked, with my underwear on, and she would throw water on me to the point where it got my hair into popsicles.”
  • 1:58:50 - First house in Fayetteville was the one in Larkspur, they were only there for 6 months. Says she first met Ava when she was 7.5 at the mall in a visitation with a social worker, then adopted at 8. At this time she was in Shelby, NC. Said Ava was intent on adopting her from the start (before she had fostered her). The first house she lived with her in was the Maple Ridge house, and they moved out of that when she was 8.
  • 2:02:22 - Said she didn’t live in the Berriedale house until she came back for the 2 months in 2021. The day she left the Eichelberger home, the Deven family was packing up to move the next day. Says Ava always used to say she bought the Berriedale house with cash and said she had commission from her other jobs and savings from working at Bloomingdales and being a makeup artist.
  • 2:03:37 - On if Ava could have gotten the money from the Infinity Institute: “I know that that was Leonie’s company, um, and then Amber kind of took that over, which is my aunt. Um, that’s, they have a lawsuit about that because they ended up stealing it from my grandmother, which was her own daughter ended up stealing it, so they had to go fight for that and it was a whole big ordeal, but I don’t really remember it” Not clear who stole it. “Um, I know that Amber had adopted two twins when I left from her house, but did I ever meet them? No.” Believes the lawsuit was in the state of New Mexico. **
  • 2:04:44 - Says Amber and Ava acted differently, “complete night and day.” “So I was surprised about this because before DSS stated getting involved, um, my baby, my daughter was 3 months old, and I went to go bring her over to show her to Leonie because she never got to meet my son**, um, so I wanted to make sure she saw my daughter before anything ever happened or she passed away, and when i walked in that house, there were roaches everywhere and the house reeked of cat pee and it was, it was not liveable. It was nothing like how she used to live. No, but, she was a hoarding sometimes, but it was never like how it was in the Berriedale house. It was bad.”
  • 2:05:45 - “So, um, when we got to the Eichelberger house, we all shared a bathroom. That’s where we stayed. When we lived in the 24 Sluder Branch house I did have my own room at first, um, but because I was stealing and I guess defying her, it went to a closet space downstairs in the basement, and back to a bathroom, and then upstairs in the loft.” “It got so bad that I actually broke the doors from the bottom, I split them in half.” “Yes when DSS was involved with the boys, um, when they were first getting into the home and getting…DSS was coming over at least every other week. We would stay up to like 4:00 in the morning cleaning that house, the 24 house.”
  • 2:07:18 - “Let me, um, also say this. If you, um, had a question of ‘oh did she ever let you out to go to the bathroom,’ no. Um, she would have use pee and poop in a pail and cover it with a lid and then we would have to go dump it when it got full. Um, so, we never got to go out because anytime we were out, we would steal or we would look for something to steal. I remember one time that ma and London stole a whole bunch of cat food and she made us eat cat *advertiser censored*. Yeah, and I was like 12 at the time.” “And the only time we did take showers was when we were all going out shopping and she had to make sure that we were clean and not smelling.”
    • **This is confusing because she was supposedly living in a bathroom.
  • 2:08:13 - Amber’s last name is not Deven, she got married to David White so “it was changed to Amber White. I called her Shar-ee because that’s what she wanted me to refer her by.”
    • My spelling of this here is totally made up
  • 2:09:16 - Says she never went on play dates, never had friends, never knew what it was to be a normal child.
  • 2:10:30 - “I do have a couple of enemies that have gone to the cops. Um, I did confide into somebody who I thought was my friend, and um she’s now going and saying that I was in cahoots with Ava the entire time, and, it, I wasn’t. Um, I made it very clear and you–that day that I told that person that, first off I was struggling with drugs and i was horribly messed up and I was emotional. And that night I tried committing suicide, so I tried to tell her how I felt, thinking I’m confiding into a friend, and all these years later she’s going out here, saying all these lies about me, um. May I mention when I moved in to the trailer that we have, um, I had to kicker her out of my house because she had brought 20oz of, um, methamphetamines and a registered sex offender over when I had my daughter and I told her absolutely not, you have three days to go, so ever since I did that, she has been on my bad side and that’s why she’s making me look like the bad guy.

Mods are allowing an interview of Bryanna Morrow (also known as Cherish Deven) on The Murder Hour to be shared:
(this podcast is not an approved source)

Bryanna's interview starts about 25 minutes in. The whole thing is quite long and the podcasters are (IMO) not strong interviewers, so it's a little tough to get through. In it, Bryanna sometimes makes allusions to things that I believe she learned from online sleuths and social media rumor, and not from any special knowledge she has from her relationship with Avantae (eg. when she says she thinks Avantae's name is Michelle)

Apologies if you've suffered through any of my other long posts recently, but here are the notes I took on the podcast, with timestamps:
Thank you for sharing notes from the podcast! The defense will probably try to discredit her, since there are some discrepancies in what she has told different people. As long as most of what she has said aligns with what her younger brothers have reported, then Ava should be found guilty. If they offer her a plea, taking the DP off the table, she might accept that and the kids would not have to go through the trauma of seeing her in court.

Avantae Deven is charged in connection to the deaths of Blake and London Deven, two adopted...

Deven is being held at the Cumberland County Detention Center without bond.

"Obviously, the allegations are very disturbing and concerning and I just want to credit the Fayetteville Police Department and all the other agencies, the FBI. They've been working on this case for several months to get us to this point," he said.

When asked if anyone else would be charged with the disposal of the bodies, West said he would not comment.

"I don’t want to comment on any of the facts, or whether or not anyone will be charged," West said. "What we will do is wait for the investigation to be complete and for that investigation to be given in total to our office and we’ll go through it and make the appropriate decisions."

"The allegations are certainly some of the worst that I've seen in doing this almost 25 years now," West said. "(It's) Very troubling and concerning and we're very motivated to get justice in this case."

Condlin also spoke briefly after the hearing, noting he met briefly with Deven before they appeared in court together but admitted he knew little about the facts of the case at this point.

"I know the allegations can’t be any worse. They are very serious," he said. "I’m going to have to learn stuff pretty much as you guys are."

"Avantae is said to have kept them in small rooms in complete darkness at times," said Sergeant Jeff Locklear of the Fayetteville Police Department. "They were given little to no food and earned nourishment by doing paperwork."

She's a very large (was going to write lady) person, clearly she's not lacking in food or nourishment herself. Add the possible plastic surgery (weird eyebrows situation and other things going on with her face), I'm guessing she used any money she got for the kids on herself.

Does anyone have a link to the interview with the social worker from yesterday? I think she asked for laws to be changed but I only saw the headline.

(Also, no offense to large people, I'm pretty biggish too. Just mentioned as her adopted children apparently starved)

I don't have a link to the social worker interview, but I did listen to it on the news live. She mentioned that she would go and testify, she thought Avantae was "off" but couldn't prove anything to a judge.
I can't locate video of that interview but it is quoted in this article, you have to scroll down to reach it.
Avantae Deven given no bond in first court appearance, could face death penalty

"I have been involved with this case from the time the children entered custody from the time they were adopted," Hubbard said.

Between 2011 and 2013 is when she said she was the case worker for the Deven family. She said she felt shock and sadness for the children's biological mothers.
[snip]
“This is important,” Hubbard said. "This is not a normal outcome for a case by any stretch of the imagination. There are a lot of unanswered questions.”
[snip]
"Certainly a gut feeling that certainly made me curious at a time, but they were not objective things I could point to that any judge would listen to me on the stand when I say, 'I've got a bad feeling about this,'" Hubbard said.
[snip]
“At this point now, should I be subpoenaed by the Fayetteville Police Department, I am more than willing to come to Fayetteville and testify, but I will say that testimony might include that I did not have a good feeling about this placement, but we don't rely on our gut instincts," Hubbard said. "We have to be able to tell a judge and four lawyers during the course of a case what we have factually found.”

The main question that lingers for Hubbard - how is it that three different Department of Social Services agencies allowed Avantae Deven to adopt these children?

WRAL Investigates reached out to Madison County, McDowell County, and Buncombe County social services. None of the agencies have responded.

She's a very large (was going to write lady) person, clearly she's not lacking in food or nourishment herself. Add the possible plastic surgery (weird eyebrows situation and other things going on with her face), I'm guessing she used any money she got for the kids on herself.

Does anyone have a link to the interview with the social worker from yesterday? I think she asked for laws to be changed but I only saw the headline.

(Also, no offense to large people, I'm pretty biggish too. Just mentioned as her adopted children apparently starved)
She looks like a thick Yzma. Definitely a villian. Certainly had the means to feed and nurture those children. I'll never understand these cases...

Her reasoning behind adopting all those children almost had to be financial. Do adoptive parents get a stipend for their children after the adoption has been completed in NC? I know fosters do but what about after the adoption is complete?
I just don't get why this woman would have adopted children she clearly didn't want for any reason other than to torture unless there was some financial benefit to her. and if adoptive parents do not receive a stipend why on earth would she have gone through with adopting when financially it would be more beneficial to stay a foster to them?

I know I am not articulating this well, pardon my stream of conscious train of thought here.

just answered my own question (I think)

Many of the children available for adoption through the North Carolina child welfare system are eligible for monthly payments, medical benefits and other services. The monthly adoption assistance payment in North Carolina is based on the age of the child and the child's specific special needs.

Age Rate
0-5 $702
6-12 $742
13+ $810
Special provisions can be made for

HIV children, including:
$800 (indeterminate HIV status)
$1,000 (confirmed HIV-infected, asymptomatic)
$1,200 (confirmed HIV-infected, symptomatic)
$1,600 (terminally ill with complex care needs); and
If the placing county participates in the Special Children Adoption Incentive Fund and the state budget has funds to add new children, Children with Therapeutic Needs may be able to negotiate a rate up to the foster care rate the child has been receiving. This rate is only possible when negotiating the rate for the initial agreement.
North Carolina State Adoption Assistance Program - Families Rising

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soraxtm
Back