GUILTY NC - Cannon Hinnant, 5, fatally shot by adult neighbor at point blank, Wilson, 9 Aug 2020 *Arrests*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I checked the Wilson County Courts docket, and Sessoms is listed for a District Court date of, get this folks, 12/25/21. Methinks that the Wilson County Court scheduling should update their holiday table...

Also charged, with a same District Court date, is Aolani Pettit for Accessory After the Fact. She is charged with helping Sessoms get out of town.

Please know that the trial will be held in Superior Court, so this December thing may just be a scheduling thing, or any type thing that must include a judge, prosecutor, and defense personnel.

Re trial wait time: Before Covid, trials such as this would take about 18 to 24 months to begin. Courtrooms are still backed-up, so I would think 24-plus months would be about right. Dunno what type trial backup Wilson County has... The county has a population of around 80,ooo people.
JMO, but I don't think a plea would be considered.

Re First-Degree Murder in NC: It is either Death or Life Without Parole, and LWOP in NC is indeed for life -- no parole, period.
I'm assuming that 1st Degree would still be the charge -- that was the charge when he was arrested. I can't imagine a plea would be accepted by the prosecutor's office, but that's JMO.

Last edited:
Just saw this:
--------------------------
Local News
State will seek death penalty for man accused of killing 5-year-old Wilson boy
Posted January 25, 2022 2:23 p.m. EST
Updated January 25, 2022 4:18 p.m. EST
By Keenan Willard, WRAL eastern North Carolina reporter

Wilson, N.C. — North Carolina will seek the death penalty against a man accused of killing a 5-year-old Wilson boy.
Darius Sessoms, 25, was indicted by a grand jury for charges of first-degree murder and possession of a firearm by felon on Dec. 22.

Family members said Cannon Hinnant was riding his bike outside his father's house on Archers Road when he was shot in the head. The boy's two sisters, ages 8 and 7, saw their brother get shot, according to Hinnant's mother.

"I pray he gets the death penalty. We will fight for that till the end. That’s what we’re hoping for," said Bonny Parker, Cannon Hinnant's mother. "It would mean the closest we can get to justice for Cannon."
[...]
Sessoms was appointed a second attorney for his capital case and has his next court appearance on April 10.
----------------------------
More here:

State will seek death penalty for man accused of killing 5-year-old Wilson boy :: WRAL.com

The death penalty is entirely appropriate in this case. This was a heartless and merciless murder of a little boy just riding his bike.

I hope North Carolina is a little more prompt than some other states. If this were California, it would 30-40 years to apply justice. Literally.

The death penalty is entirely appropriate in this case. This was a heartless and merciless murder of a little boy just riding his bike.

I hope North Carolina is a little more prompt than some other states. If this were California, it would 30-40 years to apply justice. Literally.

Well, sad to say, Joe, NC is not much better. It's still somewhat bogged down in methods for death. The last execution was in 2006, by lethal injection.

There are 135 offenders on Death Row, including 2 women.

She also credits the father of her son’s accused killer for stopping the violence. She said he tackled his own son after the shooting.

“If it wasn’t for him,” Parker told the Charlotte Observer, “I would have lost all my kids. He could have lost his own life.”
Death Penalty Sought For Man Accused Of Gunning Down 5-Year-Old Neighbor Who Was Riding His Bike In Front Of Home | Oxygen Official Site
I agree, DP is totally appropriate charge. I feel bad for his father. What a terrible position to be in. But Thankful he acted to stop his son before more blood could be shed.

A vigil was held for Cannon on the first anniversary of his death.

Next court date for Sessoms is sometime in December.

If this were California he might not go to trial for 5-7 years. Hope things are more reasonable in the North Carolina courts.

'Hardest year of my life:' Vigil held for Cannon Hinnant one year after 5-year-old's death
I've looked around MSM sources, etc., and have not seen a hint of a trial date. I'll keep poking around.
Generally, what we often see is about two years from time of arrest -- but -- this is a Death Penalty case, so the time may be longer.
I'm hoping that Wilson County has "recovered" from the backlog that all courts everywhere have endured due to Covid.
----------------------------
A couple of recent local articles:

||-- Man accused of killing 5-year-old Cannon Hinnant will face death penalty --||

by: Deana Harley
Posted: Oct 6, 2022 / 04:16 PM EDT
Updated: Oct 7, 2022 / 06:29 PM EDT
WILSON, N.C. (WNCN) — The man accused of shooting and killing a 5-year-old boy in 2020 will face the death penalty when his case goes to trial.
On Thursday a judge made that ruling, saying the case against Darius Sessoms in the 2020 death of five-year-old Cannon Hinnant can proceed as a capital murder case.
------------------------------------------
Source: Man accused of killing 5-year-old Cannon Hinnant will face death penalty
-------------------------------------
Another recent article:

Just saw this:

Wilson man sentenced to life in prison for shooting 5-year-old neighbor in head​

A judge sentenced the Darius Sessoms to life in prison without the possibility of parole. The plea allows Sessoms to avoid the death penalty for the August 2020 shooting of 5-year-old Cannon Hinnant.
By Matt Talhelm, WRAL reporter

WILSON, N.C. — Darius Sessoms agreed to an Alford plea on Thursday in the first-degree murder of 5-year-old Cannon Hinnant.
A judge sentenced the 25-year-old Sessoms to life in prison without the possibility of parole at the Wilson County Courthouse. The plea allows Sessoms to avoid the death penalty for the August 2020 shooting that devastated a family and shook the town of Wilson.

Under an Alford plea, a defendant can maintain his or her innocence while acknowledging prosecutors have enough evidence for a conviction.
-----------------------
Much more here:

Aolani Takemi Marie Pettit, who had been Sessoms' girlfriend at the time of the shooting, pleaded guilty Thursday to felony obstruction of justice and received a suspended sentence along with 18 months of probation, media outlets reported. Pettit originally had been charged with being an accessory after the fact in the shooting death.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aicontrolling
Back