Found Deceased NC - David Kuklentz, 54, didn't return home to Charlotte from Glendale Springs, Ashe County, car found in the parking lot, 15 Jun 2024

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
448470943_784190927219728_1430300673633010326_n.jpg

June 16, 2024 09:18 am: Emergency Services Organizations are searching for 54 year old David Kuklentz , after he failed to return home yesterday evening (June 15).

His vehicle was found at the Trading Post in Glendale Springs.

David is described as 6' tall, 180 lbs, wearing a short sleeved striped shirt, grey shorts, flip flops and glasses,

If you have seen him since 1:30 pm yesterday, please contact the Ashe County Sheriff's Office at 336-846-5600.

JUN 17

Late Monday evening, personnel were still searching near the Blue Ridge Parkway in Glendale Springs for David Kuklentz, 54, who failed to return from that area of Ashe County to his home in Charlotte Saturday evening.

More at Search made for man near Parkway in Glendale Springs

The distance is around 100 miles.

Google Maps

The search, described by the Ashe Post & Times, has been extensive with teams diligently combing the area since Saturday night.

The Ashe County Rescue Squad first initiated the search for Kuklentz on Saturday night around 9 p.m., persisting until the early hours of 2 a.m. Sunday.

Resuming at the break of 7 a.m, search efforts went on through 10 p.m. Sunday night, with plans to continue into Monday afternoon.

Kuklentz has been missing since June 15th, and his vehicle was apparently found the same day on the BRP at the Northwest Trading Post, which is shut down at the moment. The trading post is between Wilkesboro and West Jefferson.

brp.jpg

A Charlotte man has been missing for days along the Blue Ridge Parkway in the North Carolina mountains, according to the Ashe County Sheriff’s Office. David Kuklentz was reported missing Saturday, June 15, when he “failed to return home,” the sheriff’s office said in a news release. “While we do believe he left under his own will, his vehicle was found in Glendale Springs, at Northwest Trading Post at 1:30 (June 15),” the sheriff’s office said. “This is the last known location. ... We do ask, that if you have seen this person walking at any point after 1:30 pm on Saturday to report it immediately by calling 336-846-5600.”
The Northwest Trading Post is a retail rest stop along the 469-mile mountain parkway and is closed for the 2024 season, the National Park Service reports. It sits at milepost 258.7 in the Glendale Springs area, about a 105-mile drive northwest of Charlotte.
Kuklentz is 54 and was last seen wearing gray shorts, a black and white striped Tee-shirt and flip-flops, officials said. Representatives from multiple agencies have been participating in a search of the area.

d.jpg

brp.jpg

Kuklentz is 54 and was last seen wearing gray shorts, a black and white striped Tee-shirt and flip-flops

Area where the car was found above. I don't know many places on the parkway up there where I would want to be wearing flip flops but that's not a super rural or remote portion of the BRP. Not like Doughton or Thurmond.

View attachment 511339

Kuklentz is 54 and was last seen wearing gray shorts, a black and white striped Tee-shirt and flip-flops

Area where the car was found above. I don't know many places on the parkway up there where I would want to be wearing flip flops but that's not a super rural or remote portion of the BRP. Not like Doughton or Thurmond.
He might have had his hiking boots in his car. I drive with my flip flops on when I drive there. When I hiked, my boots and my stick were in the back.

JUN 18

UPDATE: JUNE 18, 2024: On June 17, 2024, local, regional, state, and federal emergency services personnel continued their third day of searching the areas surrounding the Trading Post on the Blue Ridge Parkway and portions of the Mountains-to-Sea Trail. Led by the Ashe County Rescue Squad, the search involved trained ground searchers, search and rescue dog teams, infrared drones, sonar boat teams, high-angle rappel teams, and law enforcement teams.

Despite an extensive search effort that utilized a multitude of resources, no trace of Mr. Kuklentz was found. Therefore, regretfully, search efforts are suspended until any new leads surface. This is a decision that was not reached lightly. The Ashe County Sheriff’s Office will continue to investigate and emergency services organizations remain committed to re-evaluating any new information that comes to light.

Ok, one article said he was in the area to visit his in laws? The lack of details, whats NOT being said is interesting. Where does David work, who saw him last, when was he expected home, no mention of his wallet, cell phone? Was the car locked, keys in it? Gas tank full, any car problems to note? Does he have a family? Are they worried?

ETA - looks like David is a computer engineer. Owns his own company which is operated out of his home.
1718760635212.png

Last edited:
This article says the Northwest Trading Post his vehicle was found at the Blue Ridge Parkway is closed for the 2024 season. Did he stop not knowing it was closed and went for a little walk/hike? Or did someone other than David leave the car there? https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article289354040.html
The Northwest Trading Post sounds like a good place to stop for a restroom break, refreshments, break from driving - since he had another 100 miles to go. I wonder why it's closed, and if he crossed paths with someone.

Ok, one article said he was in the area to visit his in laws? The lack of details, whats NOT being said is interesting. Where does David work, who saw him last, when was he expected home, no mention of his wallet, cell phone? Was the car locked, keys in it? Gas tank full, any car problems to note? Does he have a family? Are they worried?

ETA - looks like David is a computer engineer. Owns his own company which is operated out of his home.
View attachment 511494
I know Dave, I am rattled by his disappearance.

MOD NOTE:

Members who have inside information about a case must be Verified by Websleuths to post that information. Inside information is considered to be that which has not been reported by MSM or by LE. Posts containing inside information have been removed pending verification, and posts that quoted or referred to them have also been removed.

Information as to why Websleuths has this process in place, and how to apply, can be found at the following link:

Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

This thread has no verified insiders at this time. If and when a verified insider becomes available it will be posted on the thread and their posts may be reinstated.

Authorities remarked Kuklentz appears to have traveled by his own will to the area where his car was discovered, as reported by the sheriff's office.
Traveled from where? When did leave? Who last saw him? Was the visit with his in-laws for a specific reason?

Map below notes home address & Northwest Trading Post Locations, 115 miles apart. We have no idea where he traveled from. There are homes, a Church and a handful of businesses in the NTP vicinity. You can zoom in and out on the map.

If this was a bathroom break and there was no open restroom. It looks like you could easily step into the tree area and do your business. @snix - Welcome to WS!! Without mentioning personal details about David - do you know anything about the area the car was found in?

The Northwest Trading Post sounds like a good place to stop for a restroom break, refreshments, break from driving - since he had another 100 miles to go. I wonder why it's closed, and if he crossed paths with someone.
Said it was closed "for the season"? I think it's currently operated by a NFP called 'FIND Outdoors'? Seems like a prime time to be open for a concessionaire, weird.

Said it was closed "for the season"? I think it's currently operated by a NFP called 'FIND Outdoors'? Seems like a prime time to be open for a concessionaire, weird.

Some of these stops on the parkway might be closed, but they have really modern Porta potties. Maybe these were open and maintained by park maintenance?

About six hours after he left, he was reported missing, and not even 30 minutes after the missing persons report, deputies found his vehicle along the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Looks like LE doesn’t suspect there is foul play involved. Hope he contacts his family soon if he is simply taking a break

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hirundo
Back