NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sep 2012 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have one question from this recent discussion: it’s been hypothesized before (but I don’t think established for the public, though the police surely know) that KR & Faith may have shared a single key to the apt. (possibly explaining why KR didn’t lock the door on her way out). IF that were the case, then given that KR & MR couldn’t reach Faith by phone they would surely assume she was NOT at home, but somewhere inaccessible to picking up a call; in which case how did they plan to get into the apt. when they arrived if Faith had locked it on her way out that morning? The one obvious possibility is that the women routinely left a shared key in some hiding place as people often do (in a flower pot, under a mat, etc.), just not sure how reasonable that is. (or, maybe there simply were multiple keys -- I can't remember if this has already been settled)?
I used to sleep until 1 pm when in college and stay up until 4 am several nights a week. I think an unanswered call could have just meant Faith was still sleeping. Has it been mentioned here before if she was supposed to have an early class?

I am also thinking of the strange logic behind Karina leaving the door unlocked. Like, why? If she intended on hooking up and returning some time later in the morning, wouldn't it have made more sense for the door to be locked (ensuring Faith's safety) and for Faith to leave for class in the morning and lock it on her way out, knowing KR would just let herself in with the key. Were these doors only lockable from the outside by use of key? That might explain why Faith wouldn't just leave in the morning and lock door from inside and then shut it behind her

I am also thinking of the strange logic behind Karina leaving the door unlocked. Like, why? If she intended on hooking up and returning some time later in the morning, wouldn't it have made more sense for the door to be locked (ensuring Faith's safety) and for Faith to leave for class in the morning and lock it on her way out, knowing KR would just let herself in with the key. Were these doors only lockable from the outside by use of key? That might explain why Faith wouldn't just leave in the morning and lock door from inside and then shut it behind her

There's a lot about this subject we don't know with 100% certainty. But one, unnamed LE source seemed to indicate to Tom Gasparoli last year that Faith and KR shared a key. Accepting that, one of the released documents is a search warrant for the apartment, which lists the key as one object procured from the bedroom (IE. the room Faith was found). Yes, the doors at the apartment complex are the type which only lock via the deadbolt, not the knob; there's a picture floating around somewhere. And we've also been told that KR tried to call Faith several times that morning to pick her up from JM's place.

So, taking all of that at face value, the logic of it to me would be this: Faith was in the bedroom and KR believed she was asleep (though I don't believe she actually was, since she was texting shortly before KR left). KR went ahead and left and didn't lock the door, either because she didn't want to wake Faith up, or because she wanted Faith to be able to lock the door when she left to come get her later that morning. Either way, since KR didn't get the key from the bedroom, she couldn't lock the door behind her.

I used to sleep until 1 pm when in college and stay up until 4 am several nights a week. I think an unanswered call could have just meant Faith was still sleeping. Has it been mentioned here before if she was supposed to have an early class?

Karena not locking the door, and specifically remembering that she left the door unlocked when speaking to LE (in the midst of trauma) is a MASSIVE RED FLAG to me.

One key or two is not relevant, IMO. Even when I was in college many years ago, we were taught to lock doors. So you knock and wake up your roommate, or hide the key in a secret place if you haven’t had a second key obtained. If she was drunk and forgot to lock it, even though it should be an ingrained habit for two girls living in an apartment, that’s one (egregiously negligent) thing. But then she wouldn’t have clear memory, would she? Too drunk. But she REMEMBERS leaving it unlocked, and that implicates her, IMO.

I still believe Karena Rosario is the key to solving Faith’s murder. I wonder how she sleeps at night.

The logic is that since the door had a deadbolt, there was no way to lock it without the key, and since they were sharing a key, she had to leave it for Faith if Faith was going to be able to lock up.

Karena not locking the door, and specifically remembering that she left the door unlocked when speaking to LE (in the midst of trauma) is a MASSIVE RED FLAG to me.

One key or two is not relevant, IMO. Even when I was in college many years ago, we were taught to lock doors. So you knock and wake up your roommate, or hide the key in a secret place if you haven’t had a second key obtained. If she was drunk and forgot to lock it, even though it should be an ingrained habit for two girls living in an apartment, that’s one (egregiously negligent) thing. But then she wouldn’t have clear memory, would she? Too drunk. But she REMEMBERS leaving it unlocked, and that implicates her, IMO.

I still believe Karena Rosario is the key to solving Faith’s murder. I wonder how she sleeps at night.

That may be your experience, but mine was very different.

When I lived in a dorm in college, we had a peeping Tom in the dorm and you would not believe the push-back on locking the front door. People were offended and didn't like the idea that their wanderings around campus would be impeded.

When I lived in a house with roommates and nobody ever locked the door, ever. Even though at the time, I wasn't wild about it, most people just looked on locking as being paranoid. Looking back on it, I can't believe it because I set an alarm and lock every time I leave the house now.

The logic is that since the door had a deadbolt, there was no way to lock it without the key, and since they were sharing a key, she had to leave it for Faith if Faith was going to be able to lock up.

And having a single key actually does explain completely why she'd remember 100% that she didn't lock the door.

It's sort of the inverse of when you go to the store and when you go to leave, you can't find your car keys. Even if you have no clear memory of where you put them, you know they're around somewhere, because your car is there, and you could not possibly have driven it there without the key.

In this case, instead of knowing the key is there because the car is there, KR knows she doesn't have the key, and therefore it's not possible for her to have locked the door. So her being 100% sure about that isn't necessarily suspicious.

That may be your experience, but mine was very different.

When I lived in a dorm in college, we had a peeping Tom in the dorm and you would not believe the push-back on locking the front door. People were offended and didn't like the idea that their wanderings around campus would be impeded.

When I lived in a house with roommates and nobody ever locked the door, ever. Even though at the time, I wasn't wild about it, most people just looked on locking as being paranoid. Looking back on it, I can't believe it because I set an alarm and lock every time I leave the house now.

I agree. Definitely knew people who left their doors unlocked both on an off campus at UNC. Best case scenario: somebody plays a prank on you, worst case scenario something is stolen and even worse murder. Hindsight is 20/20 and of course to us it seems foolish, but people do do it (hopefully less now than they did back then). In fact, my memory is very bad now but isn't that what happened to Eve Carson as well...

Last edited:
Numerous “errors” crossed out and signed by medical examiner. In the narrative summary of circumstances surrounding death stated Karena returned home around 11:30AM 9/7/12. (911 call was received at 11:01AM) No mention of note but did mention the “used” tampon. Also mentioned “a bottle that was supposed to ve in the kitchen was found in the bedroom. IMO (Looks like this next part was added in later) and had tissue fragments and blood on it.” ...IMO aside from this, the search warrant for their 1502 apartment states“key to apartment”...if there was only one key to begin with how was Karena to get back in the apartment after the crime? ...meaning to live since she lived there. Why did MR say she would give them a ride so they didn’t have to ride the bus? Faith had a car. MR states, “we saw Faith’s car, so we knew she was there,” if her car wasn’t there she where would MR have assumed Faith was, knowing she had school...I’d assume school?? Therefore I don’t understand the ride situation. As always IMO.

If my memory serves me correctly, the public was not informed of the note until like two years later, right? It's absence on there was likely intentional at the time the autopsy was written.

Definitely knew people who left their doors unlocked both on an off campus .. Hindsight is 20/20 and of course to us it seems foolish, but people do do it. In fact, my memory is very bad now but isn't that what happened to Eve Carson as well...

Yeah, it was late night, not early morning, when Eve was in her safe-seeming residence near busy downtown/campus area, with the front door unlocked, and her abductors/killers entered and took her; a crime that will always haunt me.
Again, we're all guessing about the unlocked-door situation -- I wish police would just tell what Karena's own explanation was -- then at least we could argue over that and whether it makes sense, instead of so much sheer speculation. :(

Six years, no arrests. UNC student Faith Hedgepeth’s family still has few answers

Not sure if already posted, but here's one more article... Had never before heard that they had identified whose voices were on that butt dial. I don't necessarily agree with the article's interpretation of the butt dial (didn't know the "heated conversation" had ever been stated to be 100% fact). Curious to know what the actual content of the conversation was... since they've ID'd the voices CHPD probably knows what was being discussed.

Update: Nevermind. I see in a previous N&O article by Gaspo in 2016 Celisa Lehew also discusses that they know who was present when the call was made.

Last edited:
Six years, no arrests. UNC student Faith Hedgepeth’s family still has few answers

Not sure if already posted, but here's one more article... Had never before heard that they had identified whose voices were on that butt dial. I don't necessarily agree with the article's interpretation of the butt dial (didn't know the "heated conversation" had ever been stated to be 100% fact). Curious to know what the actual content of the conversation was... since they've ID'd the voices CHPD probably knows what was being discussed.

Update: Nevermind. I see in a previous N&O article by Gaspo in 2016 Celisa Lehew also discusses that they know who was present when the call was made.

BBM

They don't. I don't have the link, but it was said in one article or another that when LE tried to decipher the voicemail, they couldn't obtain anything useful.

If my memory serves me correctly, the public was not informed of the note until like two years later, right? It's absence on there was likely intentional at the time the autopsy was written.

Makes me question why include the information about the bottle being in the bedroom when normally it was kept in the kitchen but make no mention of note. It seems to me both pieces of information were equal as important hence the sealing of the autopsy immediately.

Makes me question why include the information about the bottle being in the bedroom when normally it was kept in the kitchen but make no mention of note. It seems to me both pieces of information were equal as important hence the sealing of the autopsy immediately.
actually, I'd say the bag note was most important because it included handwriting (or letter formation) that some co-worker, housemate, acquaintance at the time, etc. just might have recognized... but 2 years later who's gonna remember handwriting if the individual has long ago departed.

I agree. Definitely knew people who left their doors unlocked both on an off campus at UNC. Best case scenario: somebody plays a prank on you, worst case scenario something is stolen and even worse murder. Hindsight is 20/20 and of course to us it seems foolish, but people do do it (hopefully less now than they did back then). In fact, my memory is very bad now but isn't that what happened to Eve Carson as well...

They aren't sure exactly what happened with Eve Carson, but police and prosecutors do think that her killers simply walked in through an unlocked door.

BBM

They don't. I don't have the link, but it was said in one article or another that when LE tried to decipher the voicemail, they couldn't obtain anything useful.

I guess I'm just presuming that if they've identified the voices on the voicemail (which is what it says in that article I posted) they would have discussed with those people any important conversations that happened during that time period in the club. I mean of course anyone could lie or just plain ole forget, but just wondering what the explanations were, that's all.

I agree with that, for sure. That does seem inconsistent. From what I remember the info about bottle being a possible murder weapon was also held back for those first 2 yrs.

The only difference may be that in instances where someone is found deceased like this... the presence of alcohol bottles in particular (in addition to other things like drugs and drug parephernalia) is always documented (and often pictures taken) if found on the scene/in the person's clothes. It's particularly helpful when it comes to corroborating with toxicology results and potential causes such as overdoses, suicides, etc.

I am, however, wondering is the copy you have preliminary maybe? I have also seen the autopsy report and the bottle is not mentioned in the one I've seen.

I agree with that, for sure. That does seem inconsistent. From what I remember the info about bottle being a possible murder weapon was also held back for those first 2 yrs.

The only difference may be that in instances where someone is found deceased like this... the presence of alcohol bottles in particular (in addition to other things like drugs and drug parephernalia) is always documented (and often pictures taken) if found on the scene/in the person's clothes. It's particularly helpful when it comes to corroborating with toxicology results and potential causes such as overdoses, suicides, etc.

I am, however, wondering is the copy you have preliminary maybe? I have also seen the autopsy report and the bottle is not mentioned in the one I've seen.

I don’t believe so...it’s in the narrrative summary of circumstances surrounding death. There are a few mistakes in the narrative as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member