NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sep 2012 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to go back to this but did you also have an abusive partner living within walking distance who had told you he would kill your roommate if you didn’t get back together and roommate helped get restraining order? IMO I’d be more concerned for the actual life inside knowing about an ex partners violence against women and particularly my BEST friend so close they were Like SISTER-SISTERS...jmo

As has been stated, it's been reported that they shared a key to the place, and it's a deadbolt lock, so Karena couldn't have locked the door unless she also took the key, which would leave Faith without a way to lock the door if she left in the morning before Karena returned.

Is leaving the door unlocked irresponsible? Sure, but if you've ever lived in a roommate situation as a young person in a college setting, it sounds 100% natural to me... people coming and going all the time, partying and drinking, last person to leave locks up... it may not be a good thing, but it's not at all suspicious or out of the ordinary IMO.

I lived in a house that was converted to student apartments in my student days, and we had a communal living room/kitchen. Nobody EVER locked the front door. But each bedroom had its own lock (a real lock, not your typical bathroom door style lock). I'd walk through and there would be some stranger sitting on the couch watching TV, and I'd just say hey and go on to the kitchen, lol. They were always friends or guests of one of the other 4 people who lived there.

College living is... different. Everybody is everywhere, and crashing on other peoples' couches, etc. More than once I woke up on a stranger's couch to find that everyone else had left and I was alone in a strange apartment, and had to let myself out. There's something fun about living like that too, until someone is murdered of course.

For all who have followed this case for awhile , What is item 2 in the picture ? I can't figure it out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-10-09-18-15-00_kindlephoto-90367688.png
    Screenshot_2018-10-09-18-15-00_kindlephoto-90367688.png
    239.8 KB · Views: 64
As has been stated, it's been reported that they shared a key to the place, and it's a deadbolt lock, so Karena couldn't have locked the door unless she also took the key, which would leave Faith without a way to lock the door if she left in the morning before Karena returned.

Is leaving the door unlocked irresponsible? Sure, but if you've ever lived in a roommate situation as a young person in a college setting, it sounds 100% natural to me... people coming and going all the time, partying and drinking, last person to leave locks up... it may not be a good thing, but it's not at all suspicious or out of the ordinary IMO.

I lived in a house that was converted to student apartments in my student days, and we had a communal living room/kitchen. Nobody EVER locked the front door. But each bedroom had its own lock (a real lock, not your typical bathroom door style lock). I'd walk through and there would be some stranger sitting on the couch watching TV, and I'd just say hey and go on to the kitchen, lol. They were always friends or guests of one of the other 4 people who lived there.

College living is... different. Everybody is everywhere, and crashing on other peoples' couches, etc. More than once I woke up on a stranger's couch to find that everyone else had left and I was alone in a strange apartment, and had to let myself out. There's something fun about living like that too, until someone is murdered of course.

This is the last post I’ll make about the key. As someone above said, it’s like groundghogs day. Well just disagree. However.

1. I have never heard from an official source that there was only 1 key.

2. Yes, college is exactly where I learned to ‘always lock your door.’ In a dorm. In our apartment. We did. It was drilled into our heads. Later, after college, my friend was raped when her roommate failed to lock the door. It was devastating. And her face was covered by a pillow. She “knew” who did it, but couldn’t get him convicted (I guess it was pre-DNA) because she never saw him.

I was pretty wild in college and was at a university known for its parties, but we were very careful. I understand students’ levels of responsibility varies.

KR had a do not contact order in place. They were aware of danger.

Anyway, as others stated KR knows more/was there or something more than what’s been shared. Convenient that the door was left unlocked allowing a stranger in to kill Faith just after KR left the premises.

Ok, I’m done with the key discussion.

Thoughts on KR contacting MR the next morning about not being able to get ahold of Faith? I would have thought she was just sleeping or something and would have went back home myself

KR didn't have a car with her. She'd been picked up the night before by JM. For whatever reason, he wasn't available to take her back, so she was trying to arrange a ride home. That's why she was trying to get up with Faith and, when she couldn't, why she called MR.

A longish, new NY Times piece, many will find interesting, on the history of GEDmatch and its use via genetic genealogy to solve crime. I think at this point at least a dozen old or cold cases have been resolved through this technology, and I continue to believe it is the most likely way Faith’s case will eventually be solved.

nyti.ms/2CMyKRy

For anyone interested, CBS's "60 Minutes" is doing a segment tonight on Parabon's 'genetic genealogy' -- wouldn't expect it to mention the Hedgepeth case, but probably still of general interest to sleuthers:
Tracing family trees to catch killers

For anyone interested, CBS's "60 Minutes" is doing a segment tonight on Parabon's 'genetic genealogy' -- wouldn't expect it to mention the Hedgepeth case, but probably still of general interest to sleuthers:
Thanks for sharing the NYT piece...I find all of this DNA and geneology stuff fascinating, and I hope killers and rapists who have long thought they got away with it are now worried their time will soon be up. The 60 Minutes piece was very interesting, but did not mention Faith. My biggest takeaway from it was the scary notion that as these cases start being brought to court, and defense attorneys object to the usage of sites like GED match, I am worried judges may start to rule against this sort of practice and we will be back to square one. The window may be very small for Faith's case to break if that happens

I think what is especially interesting about the 60 Minutes piece, with regards to Faith's case, is they visited Parabon Nanolabs. So we know the police have already given the perp's DNA to Parabon to develop the sketch or phenotype or whatever they call it. Why not just go that extra mile and load it into GEDmatch and see if they can figure out who it is? Maybe they are doing this and it's taking some time....

I think what is especially interesting about the 60 Minutes piece, with regards to Faith's case, is they visited Parabon Nanolabs. So we know the police have already given the perp's DNA to Parabon to develop the sketch or phenotype or whatever they call it. Why not just go that extra mile and load it into GEDmatch and see if they can figure out who it is? Maybe they are doing this and it's taking some time....

Unfortunately, it's also possible that they've done it but it hasn't gotten them anywhere. If that were the case, I doubt they'd come out and say that.

well, law enforcement still has to request and be willing to pay for the additional service... I have little doubt that they have made the request, but Parabon is working on over 100 such cases (perhaps by now, 200+), many of which are 10 yrs. or more old. Faith's case may not be a top-tier priority, but I suspect they will get to it; just may take a few more months (and there's always the possibility they just won't find a clear match/linkage).

Thinking of you, Faith. I also hope that who did this to you is haunted night after night. I hope whoever knows about your death sees your face everywhere. I hope someone has enough courage to come forward with the missing piece. I think only then with that courage will the hauntings cease. Guilt is a terrible thing to live with. IMO, Faith would have spoken up for you and you know it. Be brave. You can do what's right now, even if you didn't then. Justice for Faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfcortez8