NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sep 2012 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From my 20 odd years working in the criminal justice arena, keeping case details quiet to avoid compromising the investigation suggests LE has a strong idea of what happened. Details continuing to get shared suggests a case might actually be cold, but LE remaining tight lipped at this stage suggests they're pursuing a specific target/line of inquiry that revealing more details could hinder.

Not saying that's the case here, or any others, but it's a good way for LE to dance the thin line between protecting our constitutional rights with arresting the perp of a crime.

JMOO

Edit: typo

From my 20 odd years working in the criminal justice arena, keeping case details quiet to avoid compromising the investigation suggests LE has a strong idea of what happened. Details continuing to get shared suggests a case might actually be cold, but LE remaining tight lipped at this stage suggests they're pursuing a specific target/line of inquiry that revealing more details could hinder.

Not saying that's the case here, or any others, but it's a good way for LE to dance the thin line between protecting our constitutional rights with arresting the perp of a crime.

JMOO

Edit: typo

Aside from investigating what tips they get, I've thought for a long time that LE is mainly playing a waiting game for one of two things. One, someone gets arrested somewhere and the DNA hits, or two, someone with knowledge of the crime decides to talk. They've decided that nothing else they release would help with either of those, so they just stay silent.
That said, I really doubt that there's NOTHING else they could release that would not compromise the investigation. They just don't think it will help it either. I was talking about this case with someone the other day, lamenting that LE wouldn't say anything new, if for no other reason than to drum up major new coverage of the case. They pointed out that this case is now so well known that it's hard to believe there's someone out there with crucial knowledge, who doesn't realize what they know is important. I thought that was a good point, even if it's pretty frustrating.

I think for this case at this point we also have to consider the possibility that the perp(s) are completely off radar either because they long ago left the country or are deceased by now (unless LE has some specific reason to believe otherwise). Don't know how likely that is, but just seems odd that a case with this much evidence amassed has not been solved in 9 yrs.

Feels like we are all just recycling the same info for the last few years, but for the sake of keeping hope alive, here are 3 things I think could be done to hopefully bring some life back to this cold case:

1 - LE holds a press conference to announce reward money has been upped from $40,000 to say $100,000. To me, 40k is nice but is that enough to sell your buddy down the river? Not sure. 100k might be

2 - In same press conference, announce new info is being released. Throw us a bone. Release SOMETHING...maybe time of death? I don't think that was ever on the autopsy report from what I recall

3 - Finish the backlog of rape kits!! Hopefully we get a hit that leads to something

I am new to this case, and may change what I am about to say when I have a chance to investigate, but that 911 call from her roommate, who left the door open sounds VERY strange to me. All of the whining, doesn't sound genuine, and continuing to offer detail not asked.

After listening to two different videos about the voicemail left by Faith that night, and the 911 call by room mate, I have a theory. Faith left the club with someone's BF, and they were hooking up when the girlfriend shows up. The GF goes into a rage and fights Faith, BF standing back not knowing what to do (hence Faith yelling help me to someone, him). I believe the BF and GF are people who have been named in the case already (not sure what I can say here), and many on other sites have agreed with me, as well as whom the police should be looking at now. The BF has made statements about the deceased that I believe he can say with truth as he was not the killer, did not hit Faith in head with object and kill her, the GF did in her rage. He feels he is innocent in this, even though he did not stop it when he could have. MHOO!

I am sorry, but have become obsessed with this case :( More thoughts after listening to Faith's father's thoughts about the voicemail from Faith, and thinking about the note at the scene that was obviously left for someone to see. Only two people lived in that apartment. And in the voicemail, all experts agree Faith is saying ow, and help me. She is saying help me to someone? There must be at least two people there, and one of them she is asking to help her. What if EJ went over there with another guy who raped Faith, not EJ thus no DNA of his, or he wore protection. EJ writes the note to the roommate, for taking out restraining order, accusing her of doing it because she is jealous. Kinda like, I'm not stupid I know what you did, you're just jealous.

The note not having blood on it is interesting. It was written at the scene as it was on the bag from the night before. So the killer took the time to clean up before they wrote the note? They were not afraid of anyone walking in on them, felt they had time?

I am sorry, but have become obsessed with this case :( More thoughts after listening to Faith's father's thoughts about the voicemail from Faith, and thinking about the note at the scene that was obviously left for someone to see. Only two people lived in that apartment. And in the voicemail, all experts agree Faith is saying ow, and help me. She is saying help me to someone? There must be at least two people there, and one of them she is asking to help her. What if EJ went over there with another guy who raped Faith, not EJ thus no DNA of his, or he wore protection. EJ writes the note to the roommate, for taking out restraining order, accusing her of doing it because she is jealous. Kinda like, I'm not stupid I know what you did, you're just jealous.

The note not having blood on it is interesting. It was written at the scene as it was on the bag from the night before. So the killer took the time to clean up before they wrote the note? They were not afraid of anyone walking in on them, felt they had time?
I know it will take you many hours to get through all of the comments on this thread and the 1st, but after reading them all you will have your answers to the questions you pose. The voicemail is believed to not have happened at the time of the murder, but rather in the nightclub several hours before. I do think it sounds suspicious- that something is wrong- an argument perhaps, but unfortunately it is of poor quality so its difficult to say for sure what is being said

I know it will take you many hours to get through all of the comments on this thread and the 1st, but after reading them all you will have your answers to the questions you pose. The voicemail is believed to not have happened at the time of the murder, but rather in the nightclub several hours before. I do think it sounds suspicious- that something is wrong- an argument perhaps, but unfortunately it is of poor quality so its difficult to say for sure what is being said
Actually, after doing a bunch outside of WS, I am starting to believe the timestamp was incorrect, and that they were NOT in the club, and there was not instrumental music in the background, only someone singing one line of a rap song. I do need to read the whole thread though, as I am sure you are correct for many of my questions. Thank you.

Actually, after doing a bunch outside of WS, I am starting to believe the timestamp was incorrect, and that they were NOT in the club, and there was not instrumental music in the background, only someone singing one line of a rap song. I do need to read the whole thread though, as I am sure you are correct for many of my questions. Thank you.
Welcome to the case. I look forward to hearing from fresh eyes.

I had a thought about the note today. It's not exactly ground-breaking, and it mainly builds on things many others have said about it, but I wanted to mention it here.

People have said a lot of things about the note. Maybe the words are meant to be read in a different order. Maybe it was not written all at one time. Maybe more than one person wrote it. Maybe a woman wrote it. I think all of those things may be partially true.

As far as the word order, I've seen suggested "I'm not stupid, jealous b****", or "I'm not jealous, stupid b****." I've got a different idea.

I've uploaded the note again. Go ahead and look at it. We've all seen it a million times.

Take your thumb and cover the word "stupid." Look at the rest of the note. Jagged, messy, hasty letters. All the words in their own little box, almost. At very least, they all stop on the right side around the same place.

Now, move your thumb and look at "stupid." It doesn't look ANYTHING like the rest of the words! It's capital letters, but that's the only similarity. It's neater. It's not in line with "I'm not"- it's off at an angle, tilted upward. And it's outside the "box" the rest of the words make.

We know the perp wrote the note, because the DNA matched the pen and the bag and the bottle, and that matched the semen. But I don't think the perp wrote the word "stupid." I think it was already on the bag, and not part of the message he left. As far as the order, I think he wrote "I'm not jealous" then added "b****" a moment later.

Now, one problem with this: In 2017, Tom Gasparoli interviewed an LE source, who in response to a question about this, answered "We don't have evidence to say more than one person wrote it." But parsing that phrasing a bit, what they're essentially saying is they can't prove that one way or the other. The perp's DNA is on the pen and bag, and that's apparently the only unknown DNA, but there'd be at least two others, as well: Faith and KR. Since they handled the bag and the pen in other contexts, there's no way to prove they used the pen to write something specifically on the bag. But we've heard that Faith used the word "stupid" a lot, just joking around.

TL;DR: My theory is, Faith wrote "stupid" on the bag at some point, for some reason, before she was killed. Then the perp wrote the rest of the message, either before or after killing her. "Stupid" wasn't part of the message left, and it probably wasn't something Faith directed at the killer, either.

Attachments

• Bag note.jpg
    Bag note.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 49
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics