NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sep 2012 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel as though there must be some connection between him and Faith, a random stranger wouldn’t have known that her roommate left in the middle of the night and that Faith was alone with the door unlocked. Also, what would be the point of the note that was left if he was a complete stranger to Faith??

I feel as though there must be some connection between him and Faith, a random stranger wouldn’t have known that her roommate left in the middle of the night and that Faith was alone with the door unlocked. Also, what would be the point of the note that was left if he was a complete stranger to Faith??

The note was always kind of a wild card. It was really hard to make it fit most scenarios, especially people who didn’t really know her.

It's possible that he wrote it to deliberately mislead investigators. Something similar happened in the 1990 rape and murder of Genevieve Zitricki in South Carolina. "Don't *advertiser censored** with my family" was written on her bathroom mirror. Recently, DNA/genetic genealogy linked the case to a deceased serial killer who didn't know her personally.

From the news report, it doesn’t sound like he was being all that cautious. DWI, driving without a license, etc. You’d think he’d mind his p’s and q’s if it was a fight to stay under the radar and keep his DNA out of the system.

From the news report, it doesn’t sound like he was being all that cautious. DWI, driving without a license, etc. You’d think he’d mind his p’s and q’s if it was a fight to stay under the radar and keep his DNA out of the system.
Wait. What news report?

From what I saw this evening on WRAL, they still haven't confirmed how they got his DNA. Is it a normal procedure to take DNA from a DWI arrest? Maybe he figured he didnt have to be cautious for trivial traffic related matters, but has been cautious to not commit a violent crime...

OR
His DNA was from a backlogged rape kit and they havent come out and told us that yet

From what I saw this evening on WRAL, they still haven't confirmed how they got his DNA. Is it a normal procedure to take DNA from a DWI arrest? Maybe he figured he didnt have to be cautious for trivial traffic related matters, but has been cautious to not commit a violent crime...

OR
His DNA was from a backlogged rape kit and they havent come out and told us that yet
Yeah it’s very unclear. DWI isn’t a felony so I don’t think that would merit a DNA swab.

Yeah it’s very unclear. DWI isn’t a felony so I don’t think that would merit a DNA swab.
I suspect that they had a partial match from one of the backlogged kits recently tested, and that they confirmed it with DNA that they took from a water glass or something during his DWI arrest.

Not sure why, but this case caught my attention when first it happened, and has stayed with me for 9 years. I am local to the area, and a Carolina alum, but I am not even sure if those things are any part of the reason. I think it was just the brutality in the murder of such a seemingly promising ray of sunshine. Every year, as stories on the return of students to college campuses aired, fresh thoughts of Faith always came to mind. I, and most of you here probably, grew frustrated and tired of hearing the yearly blurb on the local news on September 7, always accompanied by the CHPD statement that they were working every day to solve the crime and that they eventually would. I began to doubt they ever would, and my guess is the perp didn't think they ever would either. Well, they did!! I was so busy at work today that I didn't even check my phone, so did not get the news until I got home. I cannot even describe exactly what I felt when I saw the story confirmed, but my thoughts went immediately to Faith's family and loved ones, and I pray that they can find some sense of comfort in knowing that someone finally may be held accountable for Faith's tragic death. Kudos to CHPD and all the investigators who did indeed keep Faith with them all these years, and may justice prevail!

At the “news conference” LE said they would have a news release “shortly” on the arrest but I have yet to see that; if anyone has please link to it. It probably won’t say much more than was disclosed at the conference, but I’d sure like to get some idea what evidence police have on the suspect beyond a DNA match (and I say that as someone who always said the case would be solved by DNA). I also suspect there will be a second arrest at some point, but no idea how soon (just my speculation).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1