NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sep 2012 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This case is probably the most frustrating ever because it seems like it could be so easily solved. Like if you heard the story without knowing that it’s been unsolved for 7 years, you would think oh well that seems pretty simple. I’ve just never heard of a case like this

This case is probably the most frustrating ever because it seems like it could be so easily solved. Like if you heard the story without knowing that it’s been unsolved for 7 years, you would think oh well that seems pretty simple. I’ve just never heard of a case like this
I find some aspects of the Jane Britton case similar. It took almost 50 years to solve it. We have a thread here for it.

Murder of Jane Britton - Wikipedia

SOLVED - MA - Jane Britton, 22, Harvard student, Cambridge, 7 Jan 1969

Also surprised no one here has commented on the Gasparoli podcast — it does take awhile to get through (10 separate episodes), but there are several points I thought folks might comment on.

Thanks for bringing this up again, I now have started it.

Part of the problem is that it doesn't appear to be on the typical platforms - only on Soundcloud as far as I can tell, which isn't a great place to listen to a podcast.

I too have started listening to the Gasparoli podcast. Am finishing up episode 7, and while I haven't heard any bombshell new ideas or evidence brought out, I guess anything that helps to keep the case in the public eye is a good thing. I was somewhat dismayed that, unless I missed it, none of the local tv news channels did their annual mention of it as the anniversary rolled around yet again, and I was so hoping that CHPD would release more info to coincide with it. As someone previously posted, it almost seems that they have given up, and someone, or maybe more than just one, has gotten away with murder. JMO

Last edited:
It just occurred to me that this is the 7th anniversary of her death. Are there any Freedom of Information Act laws tied into a 7 year wait period, where we could possibly get stuff released or unsealed now? Or maybe that sort of statute of limitations doesn't work for murders

I'll just go ahead and mention that probably the most interesting piece of new info for me in the podcasts comes past the 23 min. point of Episode #5 where mention is made of a suspicious champagne-colored Lexus SUV with a running board (GX470???) seen by a neighbor several times at Faith's apt. with an occupant who would seem angry or unhappy each time he visited the girls' apt. Perhaps police fully checked this individual out, but not clear if they ever did, and I've never heard about it before.
(also, worth mentioning that you hear more directly from Ty McNeil & Karena's downstairs neighbor in these episodes than in other podcasts, though Tom, like others, was unable to get interviews with Karena or Takoy Jones)

I have now listened to all ten episodes, and while I found the podcast interesting, I don't really believe anything revealed in it puts us any closer to finding the person(s) responsible for Faith's murder. There were at least three new things revealed that stood out to me, though. One, the champagne-colored SUV that you mentioned. My gut tells me that LE surely knows who that belongs to, and has investigated that person. I almost have the sense that the woman who told about that was maybe the neighborhood Gladys Kravitz, and may have overstated the situation, as she seemed to want LE to let her help investigate the case, and was irritated that they didn't share all their info with her. Second, I found the news that her boyfriend, AD, back home had apparently proposed to her just days before was certainly something LE hopefully looked at, but from what her friend said that had been around him quite a bit, it seems that he genuinely loved her and would do her no harm. Thirdly, and maybe most significantly to me, is the news that another text message was sent from Faith's phone at around 3:52, IIRC, one that we had never been told of, to on again, off again bf TM, professing love for him. Previously, we had been told that the last message sent from Faith's phone was to BE, telling him how much KR needed to know he cared for her. Faith's father believes that last text to TM was not written by Faith, and I am wondering why LE has never mentioned it before. Having said that, TM supposedly submitted DNA, so it seems that it apparently was no match for crime scene DNA found. I do find it interesting that the retired investigator believes that KR and at least two other males were in the apartment when the murder occurred, but I believe that many of us have always felt that KR had more involvement than just coming home and finding her dead.

I am inclined to agree with the sentiment expressed towards the end of the last episode. Maybe it is time for some transparency and a new set of eyes to take over this investigation, and start over, re-interviewing everyone they can find, and I still believe that more than one person alive knows what happened that night, and I pray for justice for this young woman and her grieving family. JMO

ETA...One entire episode basically was devoted to the butt-dialed voicemail. I respect the abilities of the alleged exert in audio enhancement, but, imo, it is a major stretch to believe that anyone can put together what he claims is being said. And that doesn't even address the entire issue of the time stamp placing the call at the time the girls were still at the Thrill.

Last edited:
I have now listened to all ten episodes, and while I found the podcast interesting, I don't really believe anything revealed in it puts us any closer to finding the person(s) responsible for Faith's murder. There were at least three new things revealed that stood out to me, though. One, the champagne-colored SUV that you mentioned. My gut tells me that LE surely knows who that belongs to, and has investigated that person. I almost have the sense that the woman who told about that was maybe the neighborhood Gladys Kravitz, and may have overstated the situation, as she seemed to want LE to let her help investigate the case, and was irritated that they didn't share all their info with her. Second, I found the news that her boyfriend, AD, back home had apparently proposed to her just days before was certainly something LE hopefully looked at, but from what her friend said that had been around him quite a bit, it seems that he genuinely loved her and would do her no harm. Thirdly, and maybe most significantly to me, is the news that another text message was sent from Faith's phone at around 3:52, IIRC, one that we had never been told of, to on again, off again bf TM, professing love for him. Previously, we had been told that the last message sent from Faith's phone was to BE, telling him how much KR needed to know he cared for her. Faith's father believes that last text to TM was not written by Faith, and I am wondering why LE has never mentioned it before. Having said that, TM supposedly submitted DNA, so it seems that it apparently was no match for crime scene DNA found. I do find it interesting that the retired investigator believes that KR and at least two other males were in the apartment when the murder occurred, but I believe that many of us have always felt that KR had more involvement than just coming home and finding her dead.

I am inclined to agree with the sentiment expressed towards the end of the last episode. Maybe it is time for some transparency and a new set of eyes to take over this investigation, and start over, re-interviewing everyone they can find, and I still believe that more than one person alive knows what happened that night, and I pray for justice for this young woman and her grieving family. JMO

ETA...One entire episode basically was devoted to the butt-dialed voicemail. I respect the abilities of the alleged exert in audio enhancement, but, imo, it is a major stretch to believe that anyone can put together what he claims is being said. And that doesn't even address the entire issue of the time stamp placing the call at the time the girls were still at the Thrill.
agree with a lot of what you mention here, but will say that the morning email to boyfriend Ty was actually publicly discussed way back I think when 20/20 did their episode on the crime (but if not 20/20 then one of the other TV treatments). It was indeed an odd email but police have never seemed to connect Ty to the murder.
Meanwhile, still a bit flabbergasted that this anniversary CHPD has made no public comment on the case, unwilling to even say it is an active investigation and not a cold case.

agree with a lot of what you mention here, but will say that the morning email to boyfriend Ty was actually publicly discussed way back I think when 20/20 did their episode on the crime (but if not 20/20 then one of the other TV treatments). It was indeed an odd email but police have never seemed to connect Ty to the murder.
Meanwhile, still a bit flabbergasted that this anniversary CHPD has made no public comment on the case, unwilling to even say it is an active investigation and not a cold case.

Maybe I had heard about the last text message, and had forgotten. I am afraid this case may never be solved, but I have always felt that KR needs to be looked at again and again, and as many times as it takes to get her to give up what she knows, and I suspect she knows all. I know it has been said that she has been interviewed at least 10 times by LE over the years. I think that speaks volumes about how forthcoming and honest they must feel she has been.

Last edited:

I may have to skip that ep..... this case was certainly not in need of a massive red herring for people to dwell on.

I know it has been said that she has been interviewed at least 10 times by LE over the years. I think that speaks volumes about how forthcoming and honest they must feel she has been.

I mean she lived with her, hung out with her in the final hours before the murder, discovered the body, probably spent more time with her than most... there's plenty of reasons to talk to her. Last I heard she has always been cooperative with LE and spoken with them whenever asked. Nothing about this reads as suspicious to me.

It seems to me the problem with this case is that it got off the trac from the get-go and by the time the investigation got back on track, time had passed, evidence had been lost or destroyed and people involved had gotten their stories straight.

What I believed happened was that when detectives interview Rosario at the scene when she discovered the body, Rosario “fed” them Eriq Jones as the obvious suspect. She provided them with a motive (Faith had encouraged Rosario to break up with him) and he had a history of violence. Eriq became the obvious suspect and aspects of the investigation that were not directed at him were neglected. This is called “Tunnel Vision”. By the time the DNA results were in, it was late in the game to re-focus the investigation.

The obvious place to start was Rosario and her strange 911 call. The operator asked her five times to identify herself before she did. Something was going on.

I am of the opinion that anyone who walks into her apartment and finds her roommate violently murdered is going to call 911 in a state of panic and not play any evasive games. I think that if Rosario is not directly involved she is covering for someone; possibly someone she only suspects/fears is involved.

For what it's worth, thought I'd mention that on Twitter there's been a mini-push to get "Serial" (the well-known NPR crime podcast) to do their next season on the Hedgepeth case -- I doubt it will happen (they have SO MANY cases to choose from), but if you're on Twitter and want to join in just tweet to @serial with a message (I don't know if there's any similar push on FaceBook or other social media?).

It just occurred to me that this is the 7th anniversary of her death. Are there any Freedom of Information Act laws tied into a 7 year wait period, where we could possibly get stuff released or unsealed now? Or maybe that sort of statute of limitations doesn't work for murders
It's been 7 year?? OMG.

Thought this was a good likeness. He was a student there at the time.

Attachments

• C69C81B2-7D02-4557-85BC-F333A2315988.png
    C69C81B2-7D02-4557-85BC-F333A2315988.png
    417.5 KB · Views: 79
  • C04E83EF-BCE1-4A25-A65D-351EA1722BD8.jpeg
    C04E83EF-BCE1-4A25-A65D-351EA1722BD8.jpeg
    414.1 KB · Views: 91
It seems to me the problem with this case is that it got off the trac from the get-go and by the time the investigation got back on track, time had passed, evidence had been lost or destroyed and people involved had gotten their stories straight.

What I believed happened was that when detectives interview Rosario at the scene when she discovered the body, Rosario “fed” them Eriq Jones as the obvious suspect. She provided them with a motive (Faith had encouraged Rosario to break up with him) and he had a history of violence. Eriq became the obvious suspect and aspects of the investigation that were not directed at him were neglected. This is called “Tunnel Vision”. By the time the DNA results were in, it was late in the game to re-focus the investigation.

The obvious place to start was Rosario and her strange 911 call. The operator asked her five times to identify herself before she did. Something was going on.

I am of the opinion that anyone who walks into her apartment and finds her roommate violently murdered is going to call 911 in a state of panic and not play any evasive games. I think that if Rosario is not directly involved she is covering for someone; possibly someone she only suspects/fears is involved.

I do question why she didn't immediately get out of the appartment once she had discovered the body.. Just weird I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Where is Jennifer*