NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sep 2012 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
just a couple of points from a recent Nancy Grace podcast on the case maybe worth mentioning:

1) not too long ago here the question arose of whether the rum bottle (murder weapon) had actually had rum in it, because it didn’t in the police photo of it… and the podcast mentions that the bottle was found empty in the room when police arrived — thus LE photoed it as found. Whether rum had emptied out of it, or been drank in the course of the crime, or was from the get-go simply a decorative bottle usually kept in kitchen we don’t know… but again, surely the police do know, based on their Karena interviews.

2) it is stressed that Karena reports the body is cold in the 911 call, which implies that the murder happened many hours earlier, since body temp only drops a couple or few degrees per hour upon death (but depends on lots of variables)… this issue is important since no estimated time-of-death was ever officially published. This seems to discount any notion of the murder occurring later after most apt. residents had left for work or school, and coincides with the more generally held view of a murder occurring early, likely before sunrise (between KR’s departure ~4:30am and 7am, and likely closer to the 4:30 time if the body was truly cold).

Since we seem to be in a lull, I’ll do a bit more navel-gazing, piggybacking on my above post….
My understanding is that it takes at least 6-8 hours for a deceased body to turn "cold" — am guessing that a body experiencing as much trauma and blood loss as Faith did would turn cold faster than say a normal death (as in one’s sleep).

Karena found Faith around 11am, and though KR is not a medical professional, if we take seriously her statement that Faith’s body was cold that would seem to imply a death by 5am… and KR left the apt. around 4:30… so unless one goes with a theory that Faith was already dead when KR departed, one is left with a very narrow window of opportunity between 4:30 and 5. I’ve never been too drawn to the random prowler sort of scenario BUT the above timing I think does support the possibility of just such a prowler lurking around the complex, seeing KR leave, and then going up and trying the door and finding it open.
I think there are other problems with the prowler theory, but at least this possible timing aspect may lend some support to it.

Just checking in to see if anyone has heard anything new, I haven’t been able to find anything. Is there a possibility there is more DNA testing being done? I can’t think of a reason why it’s been almost two months since the suspect’s first court date was supposed to take place and still hasn’t.

Just checking in to see if anyone has heard anything new, I haven’t been able to find anything. Is there a possibility there is more DNA testing being done? I can’t think of a reason why it’s been almost two months since the suspect’s first court date was supposed to take place and still hasn’t.

Agreed… will just reiterate again how bizarre I find all of this… both the court delay itself AND the silence of the press covering the case??? Again, my only guess (and only a guess) is that LE have an ongoing investigation pursuing other leads/connections, and then the question is, IF there are further arrests will that affect or alter the charges against Olivares?

I google this case every single day. There has been no movement whatsoever.

Has anyone besides law enforcement, Faith’s parents and Eriq Tacoy Jones come out and made any statements publicly since the arrest? Those are the only three that I know of.

Since we seem to be in a lull, I’ll do a bit more navel-gazing, piggybacking on my above post….
My understanding is that it takes at least 6-8 hours for a deceased body to turn "cold" — am guessing that a body experiencing as much trauma and blood loss as Faith did would turn cold faster than say a normal death (as in one’s sleep).

Karena found Faith around 11am, and though KR is not a medical professional, if we take seriously her statement that Faith’s body was cold that would seem to imply a death by 5am… and KR left the apt. around 4:30… so unless one goes with a theory that Faith was already dead when KR departed, one is left with a very narrow window of opportunity between 4:30 and 5.
Unfortunately, I was present when each of my parents passed away at home from cancer. I touched or kissed their foreheads afterwards, and they definitely felt colder. I think here the definition of cold isn't necessarily 45 degrees or whatever we think when we step outside in January. A drop of 10 degrees would be noticeable IMHO. At any rate, it was much less than the 6 to 8 hours you mentioned. The funeral home people came to take them away no more than 2-3 hours after they each had passed. So i'd say a body would feel "cold" after 2 hours. Just in my own personal experiences

Has anyone besides law enforcement, Faith’s parents and Eriq Tacoy Jones come out and made any statements publicly since the arrest? Those are the only three that I know of.

Unfortunately, these cases take years to make it to trial. There are other cases that i have been wathing and the wheels of justice are just as slow as you know what.

Unfortunately, these cases take years to make it to trial. There are other cases that i have been wathing and the wheels of justice are just as slow as you know what.

I don't think people are concerned about the lack of a trial, most people have enough respect for due process to understand that trials take a long time to happen.

I think people are more upset about the total lack of any new information.

It has been reported he is not a legal immigrant and I didn't know if that could possibly impact the way the court handles things, I was just wondering, I'm not trying to make anything racial out of it, I just don't know if that makes a difference when there is a criminal court case.
I wonder how in depth the police questioned everyone at Red Robin. Not trying to be disrespectful but anyone who has worked in food service can attest to the amount of under the table employees in back of the house positions. Even if Faith’s boss/the owner of the location fessed up to these kind of employees, there’s a chance they wouldn’t know actual names or ways to find them.

I still think the random prowler who noticed Karena leave theory is the strongest right now but perhaps his immigration status worked to hide a connection to Faith, or Karena.

just a couple of points from a recent Nancy Grace podcast on the case maybe worth mentioning:

1) not too long ago here the question arose of whether the rum bottle (murder weapon) had actually had rum in it, because it didn’t in the police photo of it… and the podcast mentions that the bottle was found empty in the room when police arrived — thus LE photoed it as found. Whether rum had emptied out of it, or been drank in the course of the crime, or was from the get-go simply a decorative bottle usually kept in kitchen we don’t know… but again, surely the police do know, based on their Karena interviews.

2) it is stressed that Karena reports the body is cold in the 911 call, which implies that the murder happened many hours earlier, since body temp only drops a couple or few degrees per hour upon death (but depends on lots of variables)… this issue is important since no estimated time-of-death was ever officially published. This seems to discount any notion of the murder occurring later after most apt. residents had left for work or school, and coincides with the more generally held view of a murder occurring early, likely before sunrise (between KR’s departure ~4:30am and 7am, and likely closer to the 4:30 time if the body was truly cold).
The bottle being a decoration in the kitchen makes a lot of sense and something I never thought about until now! Even though I did that in college.

I hate to even reference that damn 911 analysis BUT one thing that was deemed “suspicious” about Karena was how she mentioned the bottles being in the bedroom instead of the kitchen. Now I didn’t think that was suspicious to begin with but if the bottles were just for decor, that makes even more sense why Karena knew right away how weird it was that they were in the bedroom.

I hate to even reference that damn 911 analysis BUT one thing that was deemed “suspicious” about Karena was how she mentioned the bottles being in the bedroom instead of the kitchen. Now I didn’t think that was suspicious to begin with but if the bottles were just for decor, that makes even more sense why Karena knew right away how weird it was that they were in the bedroom.

What she actually says is “There’s stuff in my room that was not here before.” I guess a couple of bottles and a takeout bag qualifies as “stuff”, but I’ve always had a suspicion that there’s more to it than that, and we just haven’t been told.
I may be reading too much into it, but the phrasing implies to me she’s not familiar with the “stuff.”

What she actually says is “There’s stuff in my room that was not here before.” I guess a couple of bottles and a takeout bag qualifies as “stuff”, but I’ve always had a suspicion that there’s more to it than that, and we just haven’t been told.
I may be reading too much into it, but the phrasing implies to me she’s not familiar with the “stuff.”

Sorry I don't have time to try looking this up but I believe it was actually in one of Police Lt. Lehew's interviews where it's mentioned that (according to KR) the rum bottle was usually kept in the kitchen. Anyone else recall that?

Sorry I don't have time to try looking this up but I believe it was actually in one of Police Lt. Lehew's interviews where it's mentioned that (according to KR) the rum bottle was usually kept in the kitchen. Anyone else recall that?

I also don’t have time to look right now, but yes I definitely recall that being said.
I wasn’t saying that the bottles and bag weren’t out of place in the bedroom, though; they probably were all normally kept in the kitchen.
I was just saying I have a inkling that maybe KR is referring to something in addition to them when she says that line, something we haven’t been told about.
The reason behind that is, if you see some mundane objects that have been moved from one room to an adjacent room, it’s not going to scream “someone else has been in here!” That’s why I suspect maybe there was something else there that she knew didn’t belong in the apartment at all, and police have just held it back.
Also possible: Maybe she actually could see semen on the bed around Faith’s body, and is referring to that. That definitely wasn’t there before and would tell her immediately someone else was there.

I don't think it adds much to the case itself or our discussion here, but will just note that CeCe Moore of Parabon tweeted today about a thank you note (dated Nov. 5) from Chapel Hill Police for the assistance rendered on the case:
https://twitter.com/CeCeLMoore/status/1469064335129399298
(the blacked-out/redacted individual wished to remain anonymous)

I don’t get cable nor streaming, etc. and don’t know anything about Atlanta-based HLNTV, but they tweeted out a show today that they will have on Sunday night at 9 on the case, in case anyone wants and is able to watch:
https://twitter.com/HLNTV/status/1469314710919127040

I'm terrified they're actually going to argue that MESO is innocent and Karena framed him. Like they might actually going to go in that direction. Their preview of the episode reads as follows:

"People close to Faith Hedgepeth have been interviewed over & over for 9 years as officials try to find her killer. Now it looks like they have their man... Or do they?"

I'm terrified they're actually going to argue that MESO is innocent and Karena framed him. Like they might actually going to go in that direction. Their preview of the episode reads as follows:

"People close to Faith Hedgepeth have been interviewed over & over for 9 years as officials try to find her killer. Now it looks like they have their man... Or do they?"

yes, that 'preview' is why I pointed the show out, especially given the odd delay in court hearing or any other news... I don't know if it's just hype or clickbait, nor know anything about what sort of treatment the series "Real Life Nightmare" does, but hoping someone will watch and let us know if they learn anything new.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back