NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sep 2012 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
yes, that 'preview' is why I pointed the show out, especially given the odd delay in court hearing or any other news... I don't know if it's just hype or clickbait, nor know anything about what sort of treatment the series "Real Life Nightmare" does, but hoping someone will watch and let us know if they learn anything new.

I'm seriously worried MESO will become the new Scott Peterson where people think he's innocent because of biased documentaries. I guess it doesn't really matter, it's not like Scott has ever actually gotten out of jail, but that's just not the resolution that I want for this case.

I don't think it adds much to the case itself or our discussion here, but will just note that CeCe Moore of Parabon tweeted today about a thank you note (dated Nov. 5) from Chapel Hill Police for the assistance rendered on the case:
https://twitter.com/CeCeLMoore/status/1469064335129399298
(the blacked-out/redacted individual wished to remain anonymous)

Maybe I missed it, but until now I didn't know CeCe worked for Parabon and that they did genetic geneology! I thought their niche was the phenotype snapshots. CeCe i believe was instrumental in cracking the EAR/ONS aka Golden State Killer case. So from this it sounds as if CHP worked with Parabon on submitting MESO's DNA to a public database like GEDmatch?

Maybe I missed it, but until now I didn't know CeCe worked for Parabon and that they did genetic geneology! I thought their niche was the phenotype snapshots. CeCe i believe was instrumental in cracking the EAR/ONS aka Golden State Killer case. So from this it sounds as if CHP worked with Parabon on submitting MESO's DNA to a public database like GEDmatch?

I believe CHPD was working with a guy from MD, who is an officer for Montgomery county, MD. This officer specializes in family trees using info from ancestry type sites. The MD officer had been working on finding family members of Miguel. Then *total speculation* Miguel’s DNA was most likely obtained when he may have refused a breathalyzer, or because it was his second driving under the influence, he either A) they drew blood (refusal of breathalyzer) and took time to get results. B) it was his second dui and he became combative/argumentative and they took his DNA because he was going to be change with a felony dui. Took time to come back. C) knew of him as of recently but had to figure a way to get his DNA
All speculation. HLN sucks. IMO. Can’t find the full length episode. Just a 10 minute clip. Furthermore, I have had a lot of say about the friends who found Faith. Lots of negative. Until CHPD arrests and prosecutes everyone involved in Faith’s murder, I am still in the opinion that both those girls know A LOT more. #J4F

I believe CHPD was working with a guy from MD, who is an officer for Montgomery county, MD. This officer specializes in family trees using info from ancestry type sites. The MD officer had been working on finding family members of Miguel. Then *total speculation* Miguel’s DNA was most likely obtained when he may have refused a breathalyzer, or because it was his second driving under the influence, he either A) they drew blood (refusal of breathalyzer) and took time to get results. B) it was his second dui and he became combative/argumentative and they took his DNA because he was going to be change with a felony dui. Took time to come back. C) knew of him as of recently but had to figure a way to get his DNA
All speculation. HLN sucks. IMO. Can’t find the full length episode. Just a 10 minute clip. Furthermore, I have had a lot of say about the friends who found Faith. Lots of negative. Until CHPD arrests and prosecutes everyone involved in Faith’s murder, I am still in the opinion that both those girls know A LOT more. #J4F
just to clarify and partially agree, CeCe Moore started working with Parabon in 2018 (working on her own and with others before that), and I think CHPD was thanking Parabon solely for their phenotypic profile work (which is a cheaper offshoot, I believe, of their forensic genealogy), not for any genetic genealogy work which as stated above was instead done by a Maryland officer (already thanked), likely using very similar techniques to what Parabon does.
Surprised that not a single person is reporting on the "Real Life Nightmare" episode, even if only to say it added nothing new to what we know (no one in this whole group saw it???)
By now I've contacted a variety of local reporters (at least 6) who have previously covered this case and asked if they have any news or can say why there is no recent coverage -- not surprisingly I've heard nothing back from anyone (almost like an enforced news blackout)? Even granting that there is an ongoing investigation and might be further arrests, the lack of an arraignment hearing after filing charges seems so odd?

And I'm still of the opinion that Karena and Marisol have both been the victims of a deeply irrational and bigoted witch-hunt, especially Karena. You haven't got any evidence of either woman being involved, and you can't prove any of your accusations against Karena.

Cece Moore did not work on the EARS/ONS case. That was Barbara Rae Venter who cracked that case wide open. Cece Moore does work for Parabon doing amazing work identifying both suspects in crimes and unidentified Does.

Cece Moore did not work on the EARS/ONS case. That was Barbara Rae Venter who cracked that case wide open. Cece Moore does work for Parabon doing amazing work identifying both suspects in crimes and unidentified Does.
You're right! I think I mixed CeCe up when I saw her featured on 60 Minutes and they talked about the EAR/ONS case as part of the segment

And I'm still of the opinion that Karena and Marisol have both been the victims of a deeply irrational and bigoted witch-hunt, especially Karena. You haven't got any evidence of either woman being involved, and you can't prove any of your accusations against Karena.

The point of these forums is discuss cases and share our theories and most people don't have evidence to support their theories, we are all just regular people, not law enforcement. If that bothers you maybe this isn't the place for you to participate.

Surprised that not a single person is reporting on the "Real Life Nightmare" episode, even if only to say it added nothing new to what we know (no one in this whole group saw it???)

By now I've contacted a variety of local reporters (at least 6) who have previously covered this case and asked if they have any news or can say why there is no recent coverage -- not surprisingly I've heard nothing back from anyone (almost like an enforced news blackout)? Even granting that there is an ongoing investigation and might be further arrests, the lack of an arraignment hearing after filing charges seems so odd?

I've looked on other true crime forums that I frequent, ones which often talk about recent documentaries, and there was nothing. Not a even peep of discussion. It seems like they failed to garner an audience. The only reason I'm interested in it is because I'd like to see what angle they ended up taking.

The point of these forums is discuss cases and share our theories and most people don't have evidence to support their theories, we are all just regular people, not law enforcement. If that bothers you maybe this isn't the place for you to participate.

He posted his opinion, and I posted mine in response. What's the issue?

Everything is just my opinion. I only have hopes of FAITH getting the justice she deserves-all people involved or knowledge thereafter charged, tried, and found guilty in a court of law. #J4F

I've looked on other true crime forums that I frequent, ones which often talk about recent documentaries, and there was nothing. Not a even peep of discussion. It seems like they failed to garner an audience. The only reason I'm interested in it is because I'd like to see what angle they ended up taking.

He posted his opinion, and I posted mine in response. What's the issue?

I was just pointing out that people are allowed to share their theories on here without having actual evidence, your statement kind of implied you didn’t comprehend that…

Everything is just my opinion. I only have hopes of FAITH getting the justice she deserves-all people involved or knowledge thereafter charged, tried, and found guilty in a court of law. #J4F

Okay, cool. You can have whatever opinion you want. But I can have my opinion as well, and my opinion is that the accusations against Karena (and to a lesser extent, Marisol), which have so greatly pervaded the discourse surrounding this case, have always been deeply irrational and bigoted.

I also believe that the intense fixation on Karena and her friends likely provided cover for MESO and helped him to remain undetected for so long.

Okay, cool. You can have whatever opinion you want. But I can have my opinion as well, and my opinion is that the accusations against Karena (and to a lesser extent, Marisol), which have so greatly pervaded the discourse surrounding this case, have always been deeply irrational and bigoted.

I also believe that the intense fixation on Karena and her friends likely provided cover for MESO and helped him to remain undetected for so long.

I do not believe I said KR and her friends “covered” for Miguel for all these years. In fact, you actually have no idea what I believe. I know that I am on a forum for Faith not KR. BBM-wow. Of course you can have your opinion-I never tried to take that away from you. Are you an L1?

I do not believe I said KR and her friends “covered” for Miguel for all these years.

And I didn't say that you said that. I said that I believe that the intense fixation upon Karena and her friends (by documentaries, podcasts, etc.) could have provided cover for MESO. Because from a murderer's perspective, it is hard to imagine a more ideal situation than to have so much attention focused on a person who isn't you. Frankly, if MESO had been a bit more careful about leaving his DNA at the scene, he would have almost certainly gotten away with this.

I've always wondered if the girls had any bleach or cleaning supplies in their apartment. If they did, then there is a real possibility that MESO could have destroyed vital evidence if he'd just been a bit smarter.

There is another case where a woman named Arpana Jinaga was murdered in her apartment, in a similar manner. But in that case, the killer was able to use chemicals he found in the apartment (bleach, motor oil) to destroy important forensic evidence. A man was eventually arrested, but he was acquitted at trial, and I'm not entirely sure that was even the right person.

The most important piece of evidence that MESO could have destroyed would've been the DNA from semen. If he'd even just gotten some bleach over that and destroyed it, then the rest of the DNA might have been possible to explain away as being a result of secondary transfer, and that might be reasonable doubt for a jury.

And of course, if he hadn't left the weird note, then his DNA wouldn't be on that and then there would be one less thing connecting him to this murder.

And I didn't say that you said that. I said that I believe that the intense fixation upon Karena and her friends (by documentaries, podcasts, etc.) could have provided cover for MESO. Because from a murderer's perspective, it is hard to imagine a more ideal situation than to have so much attention focused on a person who isn't you. Frankly, if MESO had been a bit more careful about leaving his DNA at the scene, he would have almost certainly gotten away with this.

I've always wondered if the girls had any bleach or cleaning supplies in their apartment. If they did, then there is a real possibility that MESO could have destroyed vital evidence if he'd just been a bit smarter.

There is another case where a woman named Arpana Jinaga was murdered in her apartment, in a similar manner. But in that case, the killer was able to use chemicals he found in the apartment (bleach, motor oil) to destroy important forensic evidence. A man was eventually arrested, but he was acquitted at trial, and I'm not entirely sure that was even the right person.

The most important piece of evidence that MESO could have destroyed would've been the DNA from semen. If he'd even just gotten some bleach over that and destroyed it, then the rest of the DNA might have been possible to explain away as being a result of secondary transfer, and that might be reasonable doubt for a jury.

And of course, if he hadn't left the weird note, then his DNA wouldn't be on that and then there would be one less thing connecting him to this murder.

it is weird that Miguel’s dna is found on everything one would expect it to be found on in a crime scene. It was 2012 most people over 16 have seen a crime scene show.Why not clean up? Why not even try to? Where does the confidence come from he won’t be caught?

Since we're all giving opinions, I'll give mine as well. I disagree with the majority of your comments, but I've never said your theories/accusations are "deeply irrational," because that's a condescending way to speak with people you disagree with. Especially when this is still an active investigation and anything is possible.

Since we're all giving opinions, I'll give mine as well. I disagree with the majority of your comments, but I've never said your theories/accusations are "deeply irrational," because that's a condescending way to speak with people you disagree with. Especially when this is still an active investigation and anything is possible.

It is, in fact, irrational to be blaming a woman for a murder so intensely when there is a mountain of forensic evidence indicating that it was a sexually motivated attack committed by a male perpetrator.

I mean, we've known for years that a man did this, and yet for years, all the discussion was about trying to figure out a way to convict a woman for the murder. And because of what? A voicemail so garbled it sounds like glass being sucked through a jet engine.

And so, I do believe Karena has been treated extremely unfairly in the discourse surrounding this case, and so I do tend to react negatively when I see people making accusations or innuendo about her, especially when I feel there isn't enough evidence to justify whatever is being said.

I'm not preventing anybody else from posting their opinion. I don't even have the ability to do that. But I have opinions as well, and if I heavily disagree with someone else's opinion, then I might post my own opinion as a response.

Last edited:
It is, in fact, irrational to be blaming a woman for a murder so intensely when there is a mountain of forensic evidence indicating that it was a sexually motivated attack committed by a male perpetrator.

I mean, we've known for years that a man did this, and yet for years, all the discussion was about trying to figure out a way to convict a woman for the murder. And because of what? A voicemail so garbled it sounds like glass being sucked through a jet engine.

And so, I do believe Karena has been treated extremely unfairly in the discourse surrounding this case, and so I do tend to react negatively when I see people making accusations or innuendo about her, especially when I feel there isn't enough evidence to justify whatever is being said.

I'm not preventing anybody else from posting their opinion. I don't even have the ability to do that. But I have opinions as well, and if I heavily disagree with someone else's opinion, then I might post my own opinion as a response.

Who on here is currently blaming Karena for Faith's murder? All @Simplestarz86 said was that she believes Karena and Marisol know more than they're saying. I understand you're defensive of Karena and Marisol, but it seems as if your lack of objectivity regarding the case is clouding your ability to comprehend what's actually being said by other users on this platform.

Who on here is currently blaming Karena for Faith's murder? All @Simplestarz86 said was that she believes Karena and Marisol know more than they're saying. I understand you're defensive of Karena and Marisol, but it seems as if your lack of objectivity regarding the case is clouding your ability to comprehend what's actually being said by other users on this platform.

Like what? What do they know, and what indicates that they know it?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back