NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sep 2012 #3

You don’t have to believe someone’s a good person to conclude the evidence strongly suggests they didn’t commit this murder.
CHPD was all over ETJ early on. They didn’t arrest him. This should tell us something, unless one has some vested interest in trying to pin the crime on anyone other than MESO.

You don’t have to believe someone’s a good person to conclude the evidence strongly suggests they didn’t commit this murder.
CHPD was all over ETJ early on. They didn’t arrest him. This should tell us something, unless one has some vested interest in trying to pin the crime on anyone other than MESO.
How were they all over him? What did they do?

I am really looking forward to a resolution of this awful case. Poor faith has been gone for over ten years, her roommate - imho a victim - has been unfairly villainized, and it has taken years for the man whose DNA was found on the murder weapon, the note, and her body, to take a plea or be brought to trial. As we know from the results of the rape kit backlog testing, men who commit sexual assaults (and sexual assaults do not necessarily need to include penetration - in Faith’s case, his semen was found on her body) are often like “one man crime sprees” who don’t have a particular “type” and don’t limit themselves to sexual assault. I think that the suspect who is in custody is likely to be a very dangerous man, and I hope that if he is found guilty or pleads, ends up in prison for the rest of his life. All MOO.

Last edited:
How were they all over him? What did they do?
The specifics aren't known the public. However, ETJ has been vocal in saying that he gave his DNA to police. Furthermore, when Parabon NanoLabs analyzed the DNA from the crime scene, they said it completely rules out ALL black men. They said that all the way back in 2016.

The specifics aren't known the public. However, ETJ has been vocal in saying that he gave his DNA to police. Furthermore, when Parabon NanoLabs analyzed the DNA from the crime scene, they said it completely rules out ALL black men. They said that all the way back in 2016.
And to your point — and hopefully the suspect’s defense is well-aware — ETJ was one of the first mentions in the publicly-released original police files, and the search warrant affidavit makes clear what their theory was early on. They obviously no longer believe the original theory, with the actual evidence pointing toward the suspect who is in custody. I suppose the ramped-up activity on this thread may indicate that a trial is finally on the horizon.

And to your point — and hopefully the suspect’s defense is well-aware — ETJ was one of the first mentions in the publicly-released original police files, and the search warrant affidavit makes clear what their theory was early on. They obviously no longer believe the original theory, with the actual evidence pointing toward the suspect who is in custody. I suppose the ramped-up activity on this thread may indicate that a trial is finally on the horizon.
I'm 100% sure we're going to eventually learn that Karena was urging at police to investigate ETJ as soon as they arrived at the apartment. Which is going to make any defense theory of the two being accomplices look stupid.

I strongly suspect that the defense theory is going to be the Breaking Homicide theory, the one that Derrick Levasseur has been pushing all these years.

Last edited:
“I strongly suspect that the defense theory is going to be the Breaking Homicide theory, the one that Derrick Levasseur has been pushing all these years.”

What theory is that…for those of us who can’t keep up?

“I strongly suspect that the defense theory is going to be the Breaking Homicide theory, the one that Derrick Levasseur has been pushing all these years.”

What theory is that…for those of us who can’t keep up?
Basically, the theory that Karena beat her to death after they got back to the apartment and staged things to make it look like Faith had been sexually assaulted. The putative motive is an argument (that never happened, at least as far as we can tell from the surveillance video) at the Thrill. Unfortunately, Levasseur sort of hand waves around the fact that semen was found on Faith's body, so that theory can be ruled out, IMHO.

Long time, no post. I can’t help but see so many similarities in Faith’s murder as the Idaho student’s murders. Off campus housing, questionable roommate behavior, and outsiders being charged with murder. I have been invested in this case since it hit the news. I have researched a lot. I have been to the location. Been inside the apartment. I have notebooks filled with research. I’m hoping to get in touch with someone who could actually get justice for Faith and her family. They will never have closure. They deserve to be confident that the right person is being charged. There are lots of opinions on this case. There are lots of facts. This isn’t a movie, or game of clue. This heinous crime has affected those who love Faith.

Remember when that screwball from Idaho was arrested? The guy who killed all of those college students in Moscow? Soon after he was arrested, the Moscow PD released something called a probable cause affidavit. Real nice document with a concise summary of the preliminary evidence. Is there.....anything.....like that for this case?
If there is it isn’t public information.

I'm 100% sure we're going to eventually learn that Karena was urging at police to investigate ETJ as soon as they arrived at the apartment. Which is going to make any defense theory of the two being accomplices look stupid.

I strongly suspect that the defense theory is going to be the Breaking Homicide theory, the one that Derrick Levasseur has been pushing all these years.
According to court documents it was a friend that Faith had confided in about ETJ’s threat/behavior.

According to court documents it was a friend that Faith had confided in about ETJ’s threat/behavior.
On 9-8-12 a friend of Faith’s talked with investigators regarding ETJ’s threat/behavior. Karena and Marisol were outside crime scene once police got there. They were not separated and interviewed right then. <modsnip - no link>

Last edited by a moderator:
At this rate, I really wonder if this case won’t drag on sooooo long that MESO will die of some cause in prison, and law enforcement will simply declare the case closed. IF all they have at this point, after all this time, is DNA evidence, they probably know it will not be enough to convict (at least not of 1st degree murder)…. and heaven-forbid IF they have incarcerated the wrong individual, they are probably facing a multi-million dollar lawsuit.

At this rate, I really wonder if this case won’t drag on sooooo long that MESO will die of some cause in prison, and law enforcement will simply declare the case closed. IF all they have at this point, after all this time, is DNA evidence, they probably know it will not be enough to convict (at least not of 1st degree murder)…. and heaven-forbid IF they have incarcerated the wrong individual, they are probably facing a multi-million dollar lawsuit.
If there were a problem with the DNA evidence, how would anybody know? What would it take to prove that?

If there were a problem with the DNA evidence, how would anybody know? What would it take to prove that?
IF (and of course it’s rare) there was a deliberate misreading in the forensics lab or an accidental mixup of key samples then a re-do of the testing would probably show it (but yeah, there would need to be enough suspicion to force a re-do).
IF the forensics work was fine BUT (as some have surmised) the DNA at the crime scene was “planted” (again, hard, but not impossible to imagine) then probably one of the perps would have to confess what was done (perhaps as part of a plea deal), or MESO would have to have some airtight alibi showing he was nowhere near the apt. complex on the fateful night.

IF (and of course it’s rare) there was a deliberate misreading in the forensics lab or an accidental mixup of key samples then a re-do of the testing would probably show it (but yeah, there would need to be enough suspicion to force a re-do).
IF the forensics work was fine BUT (as some have surmised) the DNA at the crime scene was “planted” (again, hard, but not impossible to imagine) then probably one of the perps would have to confess what was done (perhaps as part of a plea deal), or MESO would have to have some airtight alibi showing he was nowhere near the apt. complex on the fateful night.
I've been thinking about how difficult it would be to even try to establish an alibi after so many years. Who would remember exactly where they were or what they were doing during a precise time of day, when so much time has passed?

I've been thinking about how difficult it would be to even try to establish an alibi after so many years. Who would remember exactly where they were or what they were doing during a precise time of day, when so much time has passed?
certainly partly true, but that was a monumental crime for Chapel Hill at the time, and I think many, waking up to THAT news story, DO remember where they were the hours before, but proving it could indeed be difficult (MOST people were simply probably asleep during those morning hours, say 3am to 7am when the crime occurred).

Meso was seemingly not connected with any of them nor did he apparently have any kind of criminal record…. In this scenario, who would have obtained semen, other DNA, and a palm print? And then, I guess, waited for him to get arrested for something unrelated a decade later? The “planted” theory (if you can call it a theory) is preposterous. Hope the defense has something better than that. Jmo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PRJ
Back