NC - Fort Bragg Spc. Enrique Roman-Martinez, 21, Cape Lookout, 23 May 2020 *severed head washed ashore*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
jesus, how grizzly! i really was expecting this to be an accidental drowning situation. I am guessing the police are interrogating the friends he was camping with when he went missing very closely.I dont think murder by strangers, especially ones that get rid of the evidence, are very common.
I suppose it's possible that one of his campmates was responsible. I'm thinking it's more along the lines of he met up with one or more persons who is responsible.

jesus, how grizzly! i really was expecting this to be an accidental drowning situation. I am guessing the police are interrogating the friends he was camping with when he went missing very closely.I dont think murder by strangers, especially ones that get rid of the evidence, are very common.
I suppose it's possible that one of his campmates was responsible. I'm thinking it's more along the lines of he met up with one or more persons who is responsible.
For his campmates to be responsible, one or more of them would have had to be missing at least part of the time Enrique Martinez was missing.

For his campmates to be responsible, one or more of them would have had to be missing at least part of the time Enrique Martinez was missing.

they all could have been in on it. why are they lying about "looking for the rangers all day" when they clearly saw them and said nothing?

they all could have been in on it. why are they lying about "looking for the rangers all day" when they clearly saw them and said nothing?

My thoughts as well.
Why not tell the truth or alert rangers when they saw them the first time if there’s nothing to hide?
Even if they aren’t directly responsible, I still can’t figure out a good reason why they wouldn’t contact rangers first thing.
Of course, JMO.

My thoughts as well.
Why not tell the truth or alert rangers when they saw them the first time if there’s nothing to hide?
Even if they aren’t directly responsible, I still can’t figure out a good reason why they wouldn’t contact rangers first thing.
Of course, JMO.
It could be they are covering for one or two of them and I think ratting someone out is frowned upon in the service (not positive about that). If it is frowned upon, could be that just keep your mouth shut is the unspoken rule.

I thought the same thing evilwise. Someone's covering for someone, I'd like to know why ?
I suppose because someone (or everyone) is guilty of reckless homicide and they're all sticking to their story.

was it ever mentioned that the remains were only the head? i only gathered that it was partial remains that included the head
They're using less explicit language in the official statements but bodies are rarely bisected laterally Black Dahlia style. Cars can tear a person's body apart in any number of ways though, especially if they're riding on the running boards

I suppose because someone (or everyone) is guilty of reckless homicide and they're all sticking to their story.

They're using less explicit language in the official statements but bodies are rarely bisected laterally Black Dahlia style. Cars can tear a person's body apart in any number of ways though, especially if they're riding on the running boards
It was mentioned jeep was traveling at high speed followed by a blue truck. Could have fallen off jeep and hit by blue truck. They are not going to get away with it. They have to contend with not only local law enforcement but the military police as well.

Last edited:
Here are some possible scenarios.

1. He was killed in some freak accident where one of his friends was driving drunk. Now, I appreciate the thoughtfulness of those who have wondered about this. I understand that police wanted to know about a vehicle. But, if you think about, how likely is it that someone who was not driving a car when a friend was killed is going to agree with the driver that they really should toss the body into the ocean and play dumb or, heaven forbid, dismember him. I do not think it would be this scenario.

2. He was killed by his fellow campers for something that he had done or said or was going to do or say. In this situation, perhaps they had it in for him and invited him to go camping with the plan to murder him. I see this as more likely. For example, he narced out some soldiers or cheated with another soldier's girlfriend or wife. If it was relationship related, then I doubt that a group would be involved. But he could have done something to the whole group.

3. He was killed by someone he didn't know. This is the one I think is most likely. He may have gone for a walk at night. Possibly, he could have decided to go to a bath house. In this scenario, a lot of the stuff where it seems that his friends were not being truthful is probably just misunderstandings in terms of what they said and did and what got reported.

Here are some possible scenarios.

1. He was killed in some freak accident where one of his friends was driving drunk. Now, I appreciate the thoughtfulness of those who have wondered about this. I understand that police wanted to know about a vehicle. But, if you think about, how likely is it that someone who was not driving a car when a friend was killed is going to agree with the driver that they really should toss the body into the ocean and play dumb or, heaven forbid, dismember him. I do not think it would be this scenario.

2. He was killed by his fellow campers for something that he had done or said or was going to do or say. In this situation, perhaps they had it in for him and invited him to go camping with the plan to murder him. I see this as more likely. For example, he narced out some soldiers or cheated with another soldier's girlfriend or wife. If it was relationship related, then I doubt that a group would be involved. But he could have done something to the whole group.

3. He was killed by someone he didn't know. This is the one I think is most likely. He may have gone for a walk at night. Possibly, he could have decided to go to a bath house. In this scenario, a lot of the stuff where it seems that his friends were not being truthful is probably just misunderstandings in terms of what they said and did and what got reported.
Thanks for sharing!
I linked previously an article that stated the 911 call had been released. Here is an excerpt:
“We woke up. He was not here. And we’ve been looking for him all day. We were trying to find the park ranger, or their offices, or anything.”
-911 Caller
Wouldn’t this support the friends being untruthful vs a misunderstanding?

There are a lot of possibilities. Saying you've been searching all day doesn't necessarily mean that you were seriously worried all day. They might have looked very casually for him or just wondered where he was and discussed it and never thought that there would be a need to alert a ranger until the sun started to set.

IM JUST THINKING ALOUD; THROWING IDEAS OUT THERE...

If looking at the vehicle angle of this case:
•has it been shared whether the Jeep belonged to him or one of the friends in the group? I’d assume it did belong to them (but could be wrong).
•What about the truck that supposedly was following behind the Jeep? Did it belong to one of the friends?
•if both vehicles belong to the group, then I could see the circumstances being they were joy riding at an excessive speed; Enrique hanging on the outside of the Jeep making it plausible he fell off and got hurt or even killed (even w/ the truck following behind, possibly running him over, etc)
•Another scenario could be Enrique was joy riding, hanging outside the Jeep and whoever (from group) in the truck was angry for some reason (at EM directly for an earlier mishap, someone else in the Jeep for an earlier mishap) and came upon them and something transpired causing EM death.
•Or what if those in the Jeep were riding around, being careless, and driving at a high rate of speed...causing whoever in the truck to get angry due to their carelessness (ex: almost hit the truck, person or campsite belongings, etc) and some kind of “road rage” type incident occurred and EM ended up dead?

•Did LE ever find the Jeep? I can’t recall...but if they did, a majority of scenarios could be confirmed or ruled out based on evidence on the Jeep or damage done to the Jeep. (IMO) If it hasn’t & belongs to a friend in the group, then it shouldn’t be hard for LE to get a look of it.

•One last thing, the photo that was used in media and for Enrique’s missing info, appears to be him standing on the side of the Jeep. Someone took the photo. Was it one of the friends? And did media & LE get a hold of it because the person who took it shared the photo or was it shared with EM and he posted on social media prior to him missing and they got it that way?
•if it was the latter, then I’d think whatever happened to EM occurred after the Jeep ride, most likely posting photo later on that day.

And of course there is the possibility Enrique never went riding in a Jeep or any vehicle, and the photo is just of him standing on the outside of a Jeep/vehicle
-•they ferried in
-•that was not even at the campsite area but taken at a earlier time or date & has not a thing to do with his case.

There are a lot of possibilities. Saying you've been searching all day doesn't necessarily mean that you were seriously worried all day. They might have looked very casually for him or just wondered where he was and discussed it and never thought that there would be a need to alert a ranger until the sun started to set.
That is possible and I very much agree that there are numerous scenarios.
Not everyone handles situations the same, and handling things different does not automatically equal WRONG.
If it were me (and even if I wasn’t really worried yet), I would have mentioned EM missing anyway when I ran into the ranger earlier that day.
But they may have thought mentioning it to the ranger & not quite panicky yet, would cause unnecessary attention.
JMO

THANKS FOR SHARING POSSIBLE SCENARIOS & IDEAS! :)

QUICK QUESTION(S)
Sorry about the nature of this question up front!

When describing a dismembered body or referring to a body that has been dismembered, do you agree/disagree that it would mean:
•the body is missing/no longer has one or more limbs (legs and/or arms)?
or
•not only limbs but possibly other portions of the body (ex head)?

And, do you agree/disagree dismembered body and partial remains mean the same thing (as in can be used interchangeably)?

"A body" usually indicates most or all of a body. "Partial remains" usually indicates half or less and a head is usually considered a "member". It's pretty gruesome to discuss but in this case it does figure into attempting to ascertain the cause and method of death.

Regarding the Jeep and the truck, my guess is that there has been some unsubstantiated reports from the public of reckless drivers and the description of the vehicles was similar to vehicles that are associated with the group from which Enrique went missing.

Probably the reports in hand are not specific enough to be admissible in a homicide investigation, just recordings of anonymous complaints about reckless driving and the party is being tight lipped, most likely because they consider all of themselves responsible. I don't remember if I read that the entire group was military but if so it's not unusual for them to all "hang together to avoid hanging separately" even if some are less culpable than others they would probably all face discharge.

"A body" usually indicates most or all of a body. "Partial remains" usually indicates half or less and a head is usually considered a "member". It's pretty gruesome to discuss but in this case it does figure into attempting to ascertain the cause and method of death.

Regarding the Jeep and the truck, my guess is that there has been some unsubstantiated reports from the public of reckless drivers and the description of the vehicles was similar to vehicles that are associated with the group from which Enrique went missing.

Probably the reports in hand are not specific enough to be admissible in a homicide investigation, just recordings of anonymous complaints about reckless driving and the party is being tight lipped, most likely because they consider all of themselves responsible. I don't remember if I read that the entire group was military but if so it's not unusual for them to all "hang together to avoid hanging separately" even if some are less culpable than others they would probably all face discharge.
Even if this was an unintentional accident caused by drunk driver or someone driving at high speed or a combination of both, the person/persons responsible would face some criminal charges besides being discharged from the service. Willfully withholding information in a criminal investigation could mean charges from both local law enforcement and the military.

QUICK QUESTION(S)
Sorry about the nature of this question up front!

When describing a dismembered body or referring to a body that has been dismembered, do you agree/disagree that it would mean:
•the body is missing/no longer has one or more limbs (legs and/or arms)?
or
•not only limbs but possibly other portions of the body (ex head)?

And, do you agree/disagree dismembered body and partial remains mean the same thing (as in can be used interchangeably)?
Dismémbered could mean limb/limbs deliberately missing. It could mean the torso from the waist up including the head and arms were found. They used dental records to identify the remains, does that mean his arms including his hands were missing ? It's hard to tell exactly what they found besides the head.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jzouzie