GUILTY NC - Jason Corbett, 39, murdered in his Wallburg home, 2 Aug 2015 #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I've been reading some of the Twitter comments over the last few days so I'm going to post this here and on the 20/20 thread just for clarity...

There are a couple of points that keep reverberating around the Twitter-sphere regarding this case so just incase anyone has decided to pop on here I thought I should point out -

1. The prosecution did not 'pick' the jurors, there was a full voir dire process pre-trial where both the prosecution and the defense had an opportunity to assess and dismiss jurors as they saw fit. The jury 'of the defendants peers' was chosen by BOTH the defense and the prosecution. This was not a set up.

2. On the point of the jury, TM & MM were tried in an American court, by American jurors. The investigation was carried out by American detectives and prosecuted by American attorney's, if anyoner faced potential bias in this case it was JC who was the immigrant Irishman already stereotyped as a rowdy drunk. (in Bible belt America, where alcohol is prohibited in many States)

3. It was the prosecutions job to put together a case which constituted second degree murder. They succeeded in doing so. The jury believed that the prosecution were able to portray beyond a reasonable doubt that the scenario presented to them in court, and backed up by over 300 pieces of evidence, was plausible and warranted a conviction.

4. It was up to the jury to cast reasonable doubt on the theory presented by the prosecution. It was the defenses job to bring up self defense as a plausible reason the jury should not believe the prosecution. They presented...no defense. Why? Why could they show no evidence of JC being anything other than a 'peaceful' man. Why did a 30 min clip on a television channel show more of a defense than they provided in court?

5. The sole argument the defense did provide, was not self defense, it was to cast doubt on the integrity of every other professional involved in the case. Detectives, judges, experts, paramedics, prosecutors BUT they expected TM's integrity as a former member of the FBI to be sacrosanct....WHY? Why should the jury not believe the catalogue of people lined up to testify for the prosecution on the word of one man? Why could they not provide other professionals who agreed with their assessment of a botched investigation?

6. MFC died of an asthma attack.

I don't understand how people can be so blind, but the answers are there for those interested enough to find them.

"2. On the point of the jury, TM & MM were tried in an American court, by American jurors. The investigation was carried out by American detectives and prosecuted by American attorney's, if anyone faced potential bias in this case it was JC who was the immigrant Irishman already stereotyped as a rowdy drunk. (in Bible belt America, where alcohol is prohibited in many States) "

This Southern belle, daughter of the All American FBI-Protectior-of-Our-Nation Dad, has been in front of three courts here in the US and lost every time. If I were her attorneys, I'd be trying to get the civil case moved to Ireland.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.the...the-ambulance-after-murdering-limerick-d/amp/

“When Tracey and my brother Mike and my sister Marilyn went over originally, trying to see Jason, she got the body moved so they couldn’t actually find the funeral home where Jason was for a few days until she eventually told them where it was. She’s a piece of work.”
Wayne learnt of his brother’s death via a brief phone call on August 2, 2015, ten hours after Jason had been bludgeoned lifeless.
He told RTE’s Today with Sean O’Rourke: “Molly Martens’ mother rang me and said ‘Jason and Molly had an argument, Molly pushed Jason and Jason hit his head and he’s dead’.
“We did try to speak to Molly at the time but her mother wouldn’t allow me.

Why she has supporters in usa?
1. Sudden asthma attack deaths are very rare. It also doesnt look good to move a pretty young au pair in with you. If it happened in usa, LE and/or media would consider it suspicious. How did court allow testimony by sister on manner of 1st wifes death. If she wasnt there its like hearsay not fact.
2. Motive is weak. No real one way plans to move family back to ireland. Work life insurance is usually automatic based on salary, with spouse default beneficiary. The amt sounds about right considering his likely high salary. Of course you can opt-out of life insurance but no one really does.
3. Very difficult to investigate international cases., like getting evidence or interviews. For example, interviews with children at neutral site in usa vs. Interviews with children at family home in ireland.

His family should be proud to have pushed this case because it looks like it couldve been easily swept under the rug by local LE, which obviously was not ready for international case. Especially since LE tend to watch the backs of LE (fbi father) in usa.

One question is how was he buried in ireland. Almost always the body is released to spouse.

1. Asthma is a chronic disease - https://www.asthma.ie/get-help/living-well-with-asthma/asthma-for-adults-elderly/athma-women . There are many and varied reasons which may indicate why MFC suffered an attack when she did. Kinky sex games 11 weeks after birth don't really seem plausible IMO. Someone more qualified than I, did indicate earlier in the thread that asthma affects one aspect of the respiratory tract and choking another, but either way, MFC was treated in a hospital the night she died and her death was investigated accordingly. Why was nothing untoward uncovered at that point?

2. If the defense had reason to believe the testimony of any witness was untrue, they had ample leeway to query the testimony or call rebuttal witnesses. Why did they choose not to do that?

3. Au pairs are live in nannies. That is their job description. It is quite common, I don't see why it would be considered suspicious.

4. Motive is what it is, there were multiple sources (some of which were not allowed to testify in court) that JC was unhappy and ultimately had plans to return to Ireland. The fact that there were no concrete plans, IMO makes the overkill even more unnecessary.

5. Life insurance wasn't really delved into in court as a potential motive as far as I am aware. The fact is MM was the beneficiary of a very generous payout in the event of the death of JC.

6. JC lived in the States for 4 years prior to his death. In all of that time, the defense could not provide one single witness who could attest to a volatile nature. TM testified that he had never seen JC be violent with his daughter. No-one could be called to support the theory of DV other than two small children.

7. If the lead detectives in the case believe that the initial interviews were coached, there exists no 'neutral' interviews with the children.

8. If there was no evidence to bring a case to trial, his family would be sitting in Ireland crying over a travesty of justice. The facts were there to support a prosecution. I agree, however, given that TM was FBI it is a credit to the local law enforcement that they were tenacious enough to pursue charges.

9. I believe the body was released to MM, she intended to have him cremated but was prevented from doing so by court order.

In one of MM Facebook photos, there is a photo of children painting little figurines at the kitchen table. There is a table protector and also the little figurines are standing in little bowls on top of table protector. So I would assume artwork was carried out here on protected surfaces, and not on a mahogany night stand. IMO

"2. On the point of the jury, TM & MM were tried in an American court, by American jurors. The investigation was carried out by American detectives and prosecuted by American attorney's, if anyone faced potential bias in this case it was JC who was the immigrant Irishman already stereotyped as a rowdy drunk. (in Bible belt America, where alcohol is prohibited in many States) "

This Southern belle, daughter of the All American FBI-Protectior-of-Our-Nation Dad, has been in front of three courts here in the US and lost every time. If I were her attorneys, I'd be trying to get the civil case moved to Ireland.

Love it :laughing:

attachment.php

https://www.facebook.com/BringJackandSarahHome/posts/497567830577296

Attachments

• IMG_5251.jpg
    IMG_5251.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 175
That sounds like a lot of expense for a person in their 30's. How much money did Jason make??
5,000 square feet for 4 people - why???? I would hate to clean that big of a house. Why did Molly want a house that big ?? I would love to have $80,000 furniture budget. Goes to show you that some people you can never please.

Whoa Nellie, 45k for a wedding!!! I thought her dress was beautiful but geez.

Given the expenses that Jason made to make a new home in NC, I would say that there's little doubt that when he married Molly, he was "all in". Molly and her father, on the other hand, are monsters.

It appears that she wanted children and money and that she preyed on Jason from the day they met. Given that she failed at post-secondary studies, and didn't move in with Jason until six years later, I am really curious about what she did in those six years. I suspect that Jason wasn't her first attempt at "playing" mom to someone else's children.

Where did the BMW reference come from?

as far as I know Jc drove a Honda Accord and mm rove a a Honda Pilot.

both nice cars but not BMW.

i think money is at the heart of this.

what was Jc salary?

Did jc have a degree?

was source of jc wealth insurance from death of first
wife?

vvery sad all around.

"Mr Corbett, for his part, had paid for a $390,000 home for his new wife, given her $80,000 to furnish it, paid his father-in-law $49,000 towards the wedding ceremony cost and bought a BMW SUV for Ms Martens Corbett.

She was also the main beneficiary of a $600,000 life insurance policy taken out on the businessman by his employers, Multi Packaging Solutions (MPS). However, she was not named in his will which dated to 2007.

The problem for the Tennessee woman was that while she might secure a generous divorce settlement, it was abundantly clear she had no rights to Mr Corbett's children by his late first wife."

http://www.independent.ie/irish-new...ic-and-heinous-killing-of-jason-36026672.html

There are lots of links regarding this . It was released to Molly she moved Jasons body a number of times . The family had to hire an attorney to get his body .He is now buried with Mags with the consent of her family including her father .

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...2015-Media-Links-Documents-Only-No-Discussion
you can read links here

JC's first wife died of heart failure brought on by a severe asthma attack - her sister was present when it happened, that's why she testified. There was a two year time gap between her death and MM moving in as the au pair - what is suspicious about it? JC was a single father who worked full time and had two very young children, I don't see anything suspicious about needing a full time child carer in the home.

Are single fathers only allowed to employ plain looking au pairs in case people get suspicious?

This is not at all what I expected. Thanks so much for the picture. I thought they were doing a landscaping project and had new bricks or pavers.

I had bricks "edging" some landscaping in a previous house. Weather erodes them like this and they get chipped and broken. This looks like a weathered brick that has been outside for years.

It looks to me like MM just stepoed outside that front door by the Master bedroom door and picked this out of the "edging." It would have left an empty spot where it had been, but the M's had quick access to the house, so they would have taken care of that.

And if she was doing this as an art project at home, with no school in session...wouldn't she have two bricks...one for each child?

Another point I've been mulling over, as school is about to start this week in the Carolinas. I bet MM was frantic over the kids making that trip to Ireland with JC.

It is so soon after school starts, but JC still has plans made to take them and seemingly, without her. She has to call TL to find out more about the plans. I wonder when school starts in Ireland? I wonder if she feared he would get them over there, start them in school, and come home alone to divorce her. That way the children would be safe from the drama of their marriage ending.

JC's passport on the bedside table is curious. I wonder if in her conversations with TM as they drove down, he told her to find the kids passports and hide them. I agree with the poster who suggested maybe the only one she could find was his. I believe he kept the kids passports at his office...which is telling, in itself, that they were kept separate from his.

While JC cut the grass, MM was looking for those passports...calling TM to get new ideas where to look. But they were not there.

When they arrived, arrogant TM would interrogate JC about his plans, They all argued with him. But this time, they were ignored and JC went to bed.

They must have been collectively furious. They were so superior in their minds and JC was not bending to their will.

I think her fatal mistake with JC was trying to turn the children against him, something her DV tape suggests to me. "Ignore him, we will eat without him, he's nobody, I'm all that matters. I'm your MOM."

He put up with her mental illness, but when he saw her trying to destroy his children's love for him, that was intolerable. That and her changing treatment of young JC.

I'm 100% with you on all counts there. School here in Ireland is usually the last Mon or Tue of August / start of Sept. This year my son will be back on Aug 29th. The timing is too much to be co-incidental IMO

As somebody with close family ties to 2 people with bi-polar, I can well understand why major, life-changing plans would not be openly discussed - depending on the phase of the disorder. Something like what you describe could set someone off and no knowing the outcome. Unfortunately for JC and all his family

In one of MM Facebook photos, there is a photo of children painting little figurines at the kitchen table. There is a table protector and also the little figurines are standing in little bowls on top of table protector. So I would assume artwork was carried out here on protected surfaces, and not on a mahogany night stand. IMO

Yes, absolutely! The "story" of the paver on the bedroom nightstand, is exactly that. A fabricated story to try to absolve MM of blame, and or premeditation. Besides, it was Aug. 2, and I don't believe either child was enrolled in any type of school at the time. In the US, most summer activities for young children have wound down, and children and their parents are getting geared up, and anticipating the new school year. So, the idea of the paver in the bedroom being spun as a school project is preposterous!

IMHO

Hello all, new poster here. Like many, I've been following this case from the outset, but I've only discovered this forum in the past week. A lot of reading to catch up! And I admire the tenacity and the integrity of the regular posters on this case.

Just wanted to add this link for insight into the investigation, assuming it works, as I'm not very tech savvy. .. Apologies if it's already been discussed. LE basically echoing a lot of your thoughts. It was also poignant to read that some of the jury met with JC's family after the trial.

http://extra.ie/news/irish-news/molly-damage-says-sherriff

Welcome, Okapi!

:wagon::welcomeback::welcome:

"Mr Corbett, for his part, had paid for a $390,000 home for his new wife, given her $80,000 to furnish it, paid his father-in-law $49,000 towards the wedding ceremony cost and bought a BMW SUV for Ms Martens Corbett.

She was also the main beneficiary of a $600,000 life insurance policy taken out on the businessman by his employers, Multi Packaging Solutions (MPS). However, she was not named in his will which dated to 2007.

The problem for the Tennessee woman was that while she might secure a generous divorce settlement, it was abundantly clear she had no rights to Mr Corbett's children by his late first wife."

http://www.independent.ie/irish-new...ic-and-heinous-killing-of-jason-36026672.html

So the insurance policy was a Death in Service as I suspected. There is no way then that MM changed the beneficiary to her, the trust documents would have named the beneficiary as being the spouse. Any alteration to it would have required the signatures of the employer an/or trustee.

When we are discussing motive, I think we sometimes forget to factor in MM's illness. MM had an unhealthy obsession with those children. I think she wanted to "Americanize" them...make them more HERS than J or MC's. A potential trip to Ireland had numerous factors that, while disturbing to another woman, might seem an intolerable threat to MM.

The fantasies about her difficult childbirth of SC, about being MC's pen pal. ..indicate to me that she could not deal with the memory of the real birthmother. I wonder if JC had explained his promise to the Fitzpatrick family to MM as his reason for denying her adoption. In her mind, MC was her ever present rival for the children. Visits to the Fitzpatrick family must have made her apoplectic!

MC had a family that loved JC , not despised him; they shared a love of the same friends and hometown. She was indeed a tough act to follow, but MM seems to have been uninterested in being a wife, or caring about Jason's feelings. But she wanted MC erased from their lives. But Jason, unloved and disrespected in this new marriage, was not about to allow this.

So whether tickets were bought yet or not, this prospective trip would be enhanced by her paranoia and her obsessive love, as Jason taking her children to be with her rival. Maybe it was to be permanent, maybe not...but just the idea of the trip must have had her escalating.

Just the discussion of this trip..and being left behind..could have been motive enough.

We can't think normal reactions when we discuss her. We can't dismiss things that might not concern a healthy normal person.

MM Is a sick, sick, individual.

I don't get it. ME and CM are outraged in the interview that critical pieces of evidence didn't come in: explanation of paving stone, history of DV, defendant's taped police testimonies. Why didn't TM,MM introduce and explain that all during the defense presentation at trial? That was their opportunity.

I don't get it. ME and CM are outraged in the interview that critical pieces of evidence didn't come in: explanation of paving stone, history of DV, defendant's taped police testimonies. Why didn't TM,MM introduce and explain that all during the defense presentation at trial? That was their opportunity.

Yes totally agree . They could have even introduced the teacher of the class specifically to say what the purpose of the brick was and how good she was with the children . Thats if they could actually find a teacher that liked her .

Could this be a partial answer?

United States v. Ortega, 203 F.3d at 682 (other citations omitted).
The bottom line is that a party who seeks to admit exculpatory statements made by the party must elect to testify subject to cross-examination.

http://federalevidence.com/blog/200...r-its-own-exculpatory-statements-must-testify

They just could not or would not let her be cross examined.

I don't think that she had any love for those children. I think those children were her ticket to living a life where she did not have to earn her own living. Simple as that. If JC was going to take them back to Ireland and himself too, she was going to lose that ticket.

MM's attorneys could not admit her videotaped interview unless they put her on the stand to be cross examined. So it was their choice.

But they do have her on that ABC video claiming JC was standing until the last blow. That's going to be a lovely tidbit for the civil case. All that blood spatter just above the floorboards. They have that lie nailed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ery810
Back