GUILTY NC - Jason Corbett, 39, murdered in his Wallburg home, 2 Aug 2015 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A seasoned prosecutor has the professional obligation to immerse himself in the details of many tragic situations. Think how many autopsies he must have seen to date in his career! So, professionally, a certain amount of horror must seem mundane in the context of his job. Yet this case stands out to him to such an extent that he chooses words that point to extremes.

This case appears, in his words, to be..."heinous, atrocious and cruel."

We will learn more at trial but the autopsy certainly is stunning in the cruelty and atrocity it describes. We must remember that the Martens have tried since the beginning to pass this off as an "oops." "Gee, we were only trying to stop him. Sorry. Give us his money and kids and let's just forget about it."

Even MM's lawyer said.."She just wants to get passed this."

Passed THIS?

"THIS"...being the overkill, the rage killing of her husband, the Father of two children. Please move on, says Molly.

But the Prosecutor, who has seen much of death and murdered bodies...says this one is special..."heinous, atrocious and cruel."

WOW.

Someday those children will understand the full import of those words and what MM and TM did to their loving Father.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A seasoned prosecutor has the professional obligation to immerse himself in the details of many tragic situations. Think how many autopsies he must have seen to date in his career! So, professionally, a certain amount of horror must seem mundane in the context of his job. Yet this case stands out to him to such an extent that he chooses words that point to extremes.

This case appears, in his words, to be..."heinous, atrocious and cruel."

We will learn more at trial but the autopsy certainly is stunning in the cruelty and atrocity it describes. We must remember that the Martens have tried since the beginning to pass this off as an "oops." "Gee, we were only trying to stop him. Sorry. Give us his money and kids and let's just forget about it."

Even MM's lawyer said.."She just wants to get passed this."

Passed THIS?

"THIS"...being the overkill, the rage killing of her husband, the Father of two children. Please move on, says Molly.

But the Prosecutor, who has seen much of death and murdered bodies...says this one is special..."heinous, atrocious and cruel."

WOW.

Someday those children will understand the full import of those words and what MM and TM did to their loving Father.

Thanks for such a thought filled response.
I am wondering whether the 3 words have any special meaning in US law?

Thanks for such a thought filled response.
I am wondering whether the 3 words have any special meaning in US law?
I think they might...I've always heard them used when a prosecutor is seeking the death penalty however....

I think they might...I've always heard them used when a prosecutor is seeking the death penalty however....

This is not a death penalty case. The words are just the prosecutor's reaction to the evidence before him.

Could this mean that he's going to try to get a sentence beyond what is the usual?

That is a document from New Jersey though not NC.

Ok , it was stated on the same day that prosecution had to get court order for TM work files.

its a very red flag to both defence and FBI, who should have co-operated with local police and given over the records.

I think it means that they have much much more evidence than we know about.

I think it may also qualify for a 'without parole' addendum to sentence.

Some links above and much more to be found on Supreme Court on this exact subject.

Its delivered long after the indictments, there was a reason.
It means something.

Could this mean that he's going to try to get a sentence beyond what is the usual?

That is a document from New Jersey though not NC.

I think it's becoming common language for describing aggravating circumstances...here is a NC document...checkbox 6...and it does seem like it is a sentencing enhancer...
http://www.nccourts.org/forms/Documents/102.pdf

I think it's becoming common language for describing aggravating circumstances...here is a NC document...checkbox 6...and it does seem like it is a sentencing enhancer...
http://www.nccourts.org/forms/Documents/102.pdf
my browser could not open link. I made a list of info the police have but we do not
-all evidence from crimescene
-discoveries made in the course of their online searches
- finer details of the autopsy- radiographs etc, analysis of stomach contents, part of stomach where chyme was located and whether or not duodenum was empty or full, their original inspection of the body on arrival at the murder scene, EMT techs' findings, how the perpetrators were dressed, their demeanor, the demeanor of everybody in that house that night, what they found in other parts of the house, the garage, any witness testimonies, their own search mechanism results, forensic pathologists' reports and impressions, etc etc etc. estimation of number of blows struck in order to smash his skull to the extent they did, the nature and size of the paving rock, samples they took from bedroom, priors, etc etc..
Any thoughts on the jury? (recent elections ahem)

my browser could not open link. I made a list of info the police have but we do not
-all evidence from crimescene
-discoveries made in the course of their online searches
- finer details of the autopsy- radiographs etc, analysis of stomach contents, part of stomach where chyme was located and whether or not duodenum was empty or full, their original inspection of the body on arrival at the murder scene, EMT techs' findings, how the perpetrators were dressed, their demeanor, the demeanor of everybody in that house that night, what they found in other parts of the house, the garage, any witness testimonies, their own search mechanism results, forensic pathologists' reports and impressions, etc etc etc. estimation of number of blows struck in order to smash his skull to the extent they did, the nature and size of the paving rock, samples they took from bedroom, priors, etc etc..
Any thoughts on the jury? (recent elections ahem)

I couldn't open the link either but I found this which appears to detail crimes for consideration for the purpose of Aggravating factors for Capital Punishment. The link details state by state.
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/aggravating-factors-capital-punishment-state

The list under North Carolina are....
North Carolina-
(1)The murder was especially heinous, atrocious, cruel or depraved (or involved torture)
(2) The capital offense was committed during the commission of, attempt of, or escape from a specified felony (such as robbery, kidnapping, rape, sodomy, arson, oral copulation, train wrecking, carjacking, criminal gang activity, drug dealing, or aircraft piracy)
(3)The murder was part of a course of conduct in which the defendant engaged
(4) The defendant knowingly created a grave risk of death for one or more persons in addition to the victim of the offense
(5) The murder was committed for pecuniary gain or pursuant to an agreement that the defendant would receive something of value
(6) The murder was committed to avoid or prevent arrest, to effect an escape, or to conceal the commission of a crime
(7) The capital offense was committed to interfere with the lawful exercise of any government function or the enforcement of the laws
(8) The defendant has been convicted of, or committed, a prior murder, a felony involving violence, or other serious felony
(9) The capital offense was committed by a person who is incarcerated, has escaped, is on probation, is in jail, or is under a sentence of imprisonment
(10) The victim was a government employee, including peace officers, police officers, federal agents, firefighters, judges, jurors, defense attorneys, and prosecutors, in the course of his or her duties
(11)The murder was committed against a witness against the defendant while engaged in the performance of his official duties

I couldn't open the link either but I found this which appears to detail crimes for consideration for the purpose of Aggravating factors for Capital Punishment. The link details state by state.
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/aggravating-factors-capital-punishment-state

The list under North Carolina are....

Good God!!
Might be better expending our energies here than dated newspaper accounts..
!- involved torture.. that could be ascertained from forensic path analysis of autopsy and could , most likely be said without any shadow of a doubt too
2- possibilities here..
3- unknown ( poss online searches discovered evidence to this effect
4- children were put at risk
5-bank records
6- possibly fraudulent financial dealings
7- Its possible Jason had discovered something she wanted hidden and it was the final straw for him
8- possibly
9- was probation act ever applied to Molly?
10-n/a-?
11- ?

Does anybody know why the Grand Jury case was sealed in this instance or whether it is NC specific?
When michael Brown was shot by the police officer and left for several hours on the ground, the Grand Jury was very quick to sit and every single word of that was online as it happened..
If they are sealed , is the seal permanent or temporary until the real trial is completed?

SMH.. The martens' lawyers would have fully understood the implications of these words, yet they were aggressively still engaging in tit-for-tat tactics at last hearing and making points about social media bullying/intimidation

just shows where their priorities lie and how far they really are from reality.

It would be such a mistake to engage with them at any level or attempt to bend reality to meet their delusional version.

No guilt.
No sorrow
No compassion at all.

The Jury selection will be of paramount importance in this case.

Now the rush and calls to access Jason's office are beginning to make sense.. Jason knew something.

and Molly went for ice cream !!( with the children she caused to be orphans.)

Good God!!
Might be better expending our energies here than dated newspaper accounts..
!- involved torture.. that could be ascertained from forensic path analysis of autopsy and could , most likely be said without any shadow of a doubt too
2- possibilities here..
3- unknown ( poss online searches discovered evidence to this effect
4- children were put at risk
5-bank records
6- possibly fraudulent financial dealings
7- Its possible Jason had discovered something she wanted hidden and it was the final straw for him
8- possibly
9- was probation act ever applied to Molly?
10-n/a-?
11- ?

Does anybody know why the Grand Jury case was sealed in this instance or whether it is NC specific?
When michael Brown was shot by the police officer and left for several hours on the ground, the Grand Jury was very quick to sit and every single word of that was online as it happened..
If they are sealed , is the seal permanent or temporary until the real trial is completed?

SMH.. The martens' lawyers would have fully understood the implications of these words, yet they were aggressively still engaging in tit-for-tat tactics at last hearing and making points about social media bullying/intimidation

just shows where their priorities lie and how far they really are from reality.

It would be such a mistake to engage with them at any level or attempt to bend reality to meet their delusional version.

No guilt.
No sorrow
No compassion at all.

The Jury selection will be of paramount importance in this case.

Now the rush and calls to access Jason's office are beginning to make sense.. Jason knew something.

and Molly went for ice cream !!( with the children she caused to be orphans.)

On Grand Jury sealing- http://www2.fjc.gov/sites/default/files/2012/Sealing_Guide.pdf

specific to NC http://benchbook.sog.unc.edu/sites/benchbook.sog.unc.edu/files/pdf/Grand Jury Proceedings_0.pdf

regarding public access NC specific https://www.sog.unc.edu/sites/www.s...terials/Public Access to Courts Records_0.pdf

Rules of Evidence NC http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/PDF/ByChapter/Chapter_8C.pdf

I think it will be a last resort. They do have his statements. Of course, if MM refutes the statements, she could probably force the situation through her attorneys. As I posted earlier, I do read into her FB posts a desperate attempt to talk to them in order to control them and the narrative of their lives together.

Children in a DV home collect scenes of violence in their minds that they never forget. If these things happened, the children will have already disclosed them.

I agree. Her Facebook posts imo is no more than subtly and eleoquently written harrasment. The emotional blackmail is evident as I see it in every single post. I do hope neither children have to recount anything during this trial. I think the fact the lynches put in place the support of a qualified grief counselor so quickly would confirm that the children are indeed in the care of loving and protective guardians. I do often wonder though what those children must have heard and saw that night did sm bring them to a room? What explanation they were given as to what happened? Were they woken from their sleep? Did they see their dad when they came home? All questions that may have been asked and answered and will be very important in helping with the timeline of events.

The fact that a woman a stepmother who possibly may have or helped bludgeon these two little kids dad to death in their home proceeds in the following day to take his children for ice cream is frightening in my opinion.

Very good insight to the the thoughts of the DA on the crime committed in the links. I agree he will be looking for a lengthly sentence . I also feel Mollys behaviour after the fact will beneficial to the prosecution. Her total disregard for Jason's life. Her total disregard for how the children were feeling about the loss of their dad . On the day he was laid to rest she posted about toasting Marshmallows. When they were facing their first Christmas and thanksgiving Molly was talking about dinner preparation,baking cookies and Christmas tree decorating while people from all over the world we're extending their condolences to Jason's family people that don't know them had sympathy she had none. Just how hard it all was for her not being able to speak to the children. If it was so important then why did she stop trying to contact after the charges were brought. The reason is because it states in the bail conditions she is not allowed to try contact the children or any of Jason's family. To me that just proves Molly is just trying to keep herself out of jail no matter the cost. But I think the DA and prosecution have seen through the act and I am certain she must have been advised by her legal team to stop a long time before but refused to listen. Does she think she knows better than a very experienced lawyer . Also found this regarding pulled hair written into the autopsy . Sorry if somebody else linked it but there are few posts I might have missed

Pull do not cut 20 representative head hairs and save them, as hair may also be useful for detecting some drugs or poison
http://www.forensicpathologyonline.com/e-book/autopsy
point made on 7.11

What does a prosecutor infer when he applies the words heinous, atrocious and/or cruel
to a case he is prosecuting?
Is there precedence for this statement?
I understand his statement may be challenged in a court of law ( based on other unrelated cases i have skimmed)?
http://www.uefap.com/vocab/exercise/awl/reqmur.htm

(actually that link is superfluous as it only applies to UK law)

My own feeling on this was that it was to lay down a marker for the defence in the event of a possible plea bargain. It was effectively saying if self defence is on the extreme left of a homicide spectrum and involuntary manslaughter is in the middle, then murder 2 is way to the right of centre and murder 2 plus 'heinous, attrocious and cruel' is over there almost with murder 1. So if the defence is seeking to plea bargain short sentences and involuntary manslaughter, the prosecutor is saying 'no chance'. It came around the pleading hearings so the timing was significant. Good work by the prosecution IMO.

Also found this regarding pulled hair written into the autopsy . Sorry if somebody else linked it but there are few posts I might have missed

Pull do not cut 20 representative head hairs and save them, as hair may also be useful for detecting some drugs or poison
http://www.forensicpathologyonline.com/e-book/autopsy
point made on 7.11

Great find Stephen. It was discussed quite a few time over the past days but I don't believe that this link was ever provided.

The items preserved at the autopsy were:-

1) Pulled Hair
2) Blood Card
3) Ring

Pulled hair is explained in your post & in the link you provided.

With regards to the Blood Card I found this http://www.spokanecounty.org/data/m... Autopsy Transfer for Toxicologic Testing.pdf

It explains what a Blood Card is, basically it is a card containing samples of blood for testing taken from the body during an autopsy. The Ring is JC wedding ring.

I agree. Her Facebook posts imo is no more than subtly and eleoquently written harrasment. The emotional blackmail is evident as I see it in every single post. I do hope neither children have to recount anything during this trial. I think the fact the lynches put in place the support of a qualified grief counselor so quickly would confirm that the children are indeed in the care of loving and protective guardians. I do often wonder though what those children must have heard and saw that night did sm bring them to a room? What explanation they were given as to what happened? Were they woken from their sleep? Did they see their dad when they came home? All questions that may have been asked and answered and will be very important in helping with the timeline of events.

The fact that a woman a stepmother who possibly may have or helped bludgeon these two little kids dad to death in their home proceeds in the following day to take his children for ice cream is frightening in my opinion.

I absolutely agree with you on MM's FB posts, but I'm beginning to doubt my earlier belief that her attorneys object to what she is doing.

We live in a time where many people apply their opinions on larger social issues to the question of responsibility. We excuse people and crimes because of historical metanarratives that make them "victims" in our defintion of social justice. Among Molly's 400+ friends are certainly people who care very strongly (rightfully so) about the GENERAL issue of DV. That admirable concern, however, may bring them to read her FB posts quite differently. It may cause them to dismiss the violence obvious in the autopsy.

Molly is marketing herself to those people as the primary victim in this case. She is doing this by describing the enchanted life she created for the children while they were all living "in the circumstances we found ourselves." She is the Mother-Martyr who endured DV because she could not leave the kids.

Although she is not mentioning the children now, she continues to post and build her victim brand with childlike posts. Behind all this is the unspoken narrative that she is the real victim and JC deserved to die. Any potential jurors who feel passionately about DV may be very susceptible to that pitch.

I absolutely agree with you on MM's FB posts, but I'm beginning to doubt my earlier belief that her attorneys object to what she is doing.

We live in a time where many people apply their opinions on larger social issues to the question of responsibility. We excuse people and crimes because of historical metanarratives that make them "victims" in our defintion of social justice. Among Molly's 400+ friends are certainly people who care very strongly (rightfully so) about the GENERAL issue of DV. That admirable concern, however, may bring them to read her FB posts quite differently. It may cause them to dismiss the violence obvious in the autopsy.

Molly is marketing herself to those people as the primary victim in this case. She is doing this by describing the enchanted life she created for the children while they were all living "in the circumstances we found ourselves." She is the Mother-Martyr who endured DV because she could not leave the kids.

Although she is not mentioning the children now, she continues to post and build her victim brand with childlike posts. Behind all this is the unspoken narrative that she is the real victim and JC deserved to die. Any potential jurors who feel passionately about DV may be very susceptible to that pitch.

Quite honestly, at this point in time an awareness is arising in me that she cares nothing at all for those children

They are a mere distraction, a red herring so that nobody points the finger and says quite simply- DID YOU DO THAT TO JASON?

She is largely successful in this tactic.. even her lawyer stated it upsets her more than her murdered husband.. sure, nice try.

But wasn't Molly about to swan off into the sunset with an old love she had rediscovered on facebook? What happened to that?

I got a sense reading posts today that maybe we should consider refraining from discussing the children here?
They are vulnerable and their images have been overly exploited in an effort to both extort revenge on the Lynches (legally appointed Guardians) and to distract as many people as possible from the chief case?

I dont think it needs to be a hard and fast rule, but maybe if we became conscious that these discussions are a permanent record and those children should be supported and their privacy respected.
The custody case may intersperse our discussions but I'm not sure we should discuss it here?
I really dont mean to be lecturing and I would appreciate feedback on this notion, which could well be no more than me being over sensitive for their welfare.. (I can be like that and its often irrational)
What do people think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members