GUILTY NC - Jason Corbett, 39, murdered in his Wallburg home, 2 Aug 2015 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.pressherald.com/2012/02/07/taking-the-stand-a-balancing-act-for-defendants_2012-02-07/

"“You just have your client who can tell his side of the story,” he said, and witnesses can corroborate various aspects of it.

But if the story is not believable, a defendant who is found guilty can suffer in the sentencing for telling a “fairy tale,” DeGrinney said.

“Many judges will consider that a substantially aggravating factor,” he said."

But is that not their right in taking the stand. The prosecution can set out a situation but a defendant is the only person who can truly argue their defence.

Snipped for brevity I am starting to see some small pieces of the puzzle come together for me. Let's
In my theory, the children of JC receive little regard for their safety...they'd deal with that later. First save Molly and the family secret.
You are about to force me to sign off WS then re-sign back on so I can create a 2nd profile so I can "Thanks" you twice for this comment

But is that not their right in taking the stand. The prosecution can set out a situation but a defendant is the only person who can truly argue their defence.
It is the defendent's right to choose whether or not to take the stand. It can be a loaded decision, though, and in Molly's case I believe it would be a very bad one for her own interests to take the stand.

But her lawyers are making questionable and inaccurate comments on national media.. see all yesterdays' posts for evidence of this..They are clearly seeking publicity and are misleading the public in a manner that is verifiable.
Both sets of lawyers have been engaged from the beginning, it is likely they would communicate with eachother

She removed some facebook posts, the post where she called the court corrupt following her indictment being a case in point. It appears as though she was advised to do so. but all the media had published it anyhow..
She takes some advice but is by and large a loose cannon..

I feel that her lawyers are playing catch up. The have slithers of information, make a statement, it turns out to be false (there are many instances) and then need to cover. They will argue that the criminal and civil cases are separate and so the lawyers are unaware. Farfetched absolutely - and the fact her criminal lawyers have become involved in a civil case shows that they were aware. Their paycheck is to make her come across well. They are failing.

It is the defendent's right to choose whether or not to take the stand. It can be a loaded decision, though, and in Molly's case I believe it would be a very bad one for her own interests to take the stand.

Absolutely agree. My own opinion is that she will want to have her day in court. I would think her lawyers would be very against it.

Absolutely agree. My own opinion is that she will want to have her day in court. I would think her lawyers would be very against it.

Yes, I think she will want her day in court. If she is in the elated phase of bipolar at the time of the trial, she will very likely be convinced that she will be able to sway the jury, despite any advice her lawyer gives her. Even if she is not elated, I can still see her insisting on taking the stand. Her lawyer is probably dreading it.

Yes, I think she will want her day in court. If she is in the elated phase of bipolar at the time of the trial, she will very likely be convinced that she will be able to sway the jury, despite any advice her lawyer gives her. Even if she is not elated, I can still see her insisting on taking the stand. Her lawyer is probably dreading it.

Completely agree. To a degree i sympathise, she is clearly suffering from a mental illness (whether she agrees or not). I could only wonder what the difference would have been if those around her had taken the necessary action whether back in 2007 or any time since.

All my own opinion

I find the actions of her parents to be irresponsible and, in my opinion, reprehensible. If my child were an alcoholic and just released from treatment, I could not allow him or her to be hired to drive a school bus. This was the first "cover" they gave Molly when she almost immediately took a job across the ocean to care for a baby and a toddler...JUST OUT of the Psych Ward.

This takes my breath away.

After Jason's killing, the Martens moved heaven and earth to keep those children in her possession. They'd just seen Jason lying battered to death, but again, immediately...they decide to give Molly what she wants. If they truly loved these children, how could they ever put them in that situation, knowing what they know...have seen the horror that they've seen.

Now this whole charade,the lies, the odious way the Corbett family has been treated. The Martens seem to be truly devoid of conscience or decent character.

I find the actions of her parents to be irresponsible and, in my opinion, reprehensible. If my child were an alcoholic and just released from treatment, I could not allow him or her to be hired to drive a school bus. This was the first "cover" they gave Molly when she almost immediately took a job across the ocean to care for a baby and a toddler...JUST OUT of the Psych Ward.

After Jason's killing, the Martens moved heaven and earth to keep those children in her possession. They'd just seen Jason lying battered to death, but again, immediately...they decide to give Molly what she wants. If they truly loved these children, how could they ever put them in that situation, knowing what they know...have seen the horror that they've seen.

Now this whole charade,the lies, the odious way the Corbett family has been treated. The Martens seem to be truly devoid of conscience or decent character.

Agree. I feel it shows the levels they will go to keep their reputation untarnished. Just like KM the Corbett's are discarded.

You are spot on here. I'm nearly certain that the Corbetts had no idea about Mollys visit to the psych ward before coming to Ireland . Tm and Sm could have prevented this situation from happening and the more we learn the more I'm thinking Jason contacted them to come because Molly was manic. Molly has an episode and her parents come to clean up the mess no matter what it takes seems very plausible to me

Completely agree. To a degree i sympathise, she is clearly suffering from a mental illness (whether she agrees or not). I could only wonder what the difference would have been if those around her had taken the necessary action whether back in 2007 or any time since.

All my own opinion

But what do you consider the necessary action to be? Molly was an adult, they could not prevent her from leaving the country. From the extracts from the book her ex wrote that I have read, it seems likely to me that her parents didn't even know where she was for a while, and were not able to give him any information about her whereabouts. The ex said they seemed to try to help her as much as they could, though he was unsure of the effectiveness of their help.

Dealing with an adult child with mental illness is difficult, as you can't force them to take treatment or medication, you can only try your best.

But what do you consider the necessary action to be? Molly was an adult, they could not prevent her from leaving the country. From the extracts from the book her ex wrote that I have read, it seems likely to me that her parents didn't even know where she was for a while, and were not able to give him any information about her whereabouts. The ex said they seemed to try to help her as much as they could, though he was unsure of the effectiveness of their help.

Dealing with an adult child with mental illness is difficult, as you can't force them to take treatment or medication, you can only try your best.

You are very right in what your saying . But Molly wasn't working at the time somebody paid for the flights and visa etc . Keith said in the book he had little money so I assumed they paid but I may be wrong there as it doesn't specify who paid for them

Honestly, as a parent, I would have thought talking to my child making them realise this wasn't a good idea. If this didn't work, i would have spoken to those that she was travelling to live with. As an adult they had no control over MM, this i am complete in agreement with. Yet, they could have contacted JC if they wished. She was only fresh out of a hospitalisation. Given that they traveled to Ireland, they had ways to contact JC in Ireland, yet they didn't.

My understanding from the book was more that they didn't tell KM where she was, not that they didn't know where she was.

All my own opinion

If Molly claims she was misdiagnosed with bipolar and she has not been under treatment of a psychologist or psychiatrist for 8 years since leaving a psych ward...and most important if she has not taken meds for bipolar in all that time...is she in fact bipolar?...legally speaking that is....

If Molly claims she was misdiagnosed with bipolar and she has not been under treatment of a psychologist or psychiatrist for 8 years since leaving a psych ward...and most important if she has not taken meds for bipolar in all that time...is she in fact bipolar?...legally speaking that is....

I don't think that whether she is "legally speaking" bipolar will have any influence on whether she takes the stand. Molly will have the Constitutional right to take the stand, no matter what her mental health status.

Very important she says she was last treated for bipolar when she was a teen. KM stated that she was bipolar months before her travels to Ireland (i.e. in her 20's). In fact he says she was hospitalised just months before her travels. She, apparently, told members of the Corbett family that she was bipolar. JC, apparently, told co-workers that she was bipolar prior to his leaving Ireland. TL put into evidence in the custody case that she left her medication lying around. Do we have any evidence to say that she was not bipolar?

I don't think that whether she is "legally speaking" bipolar will have any influence on whether she takes the stand. Molly will have the Constitutional right to take the stand, no matter what her mental health status.
I agree...just as she has a right to defend herself...I only ask because I'm curious...phrased another way ...in dealing with an adult child with mental illness, how long do you think a diagnoses applies if there has been no treatment for a long period and that person appears to be functioning fairly well?...as far as taking the stand I don't think she will...IMO....

Very important she says she was last treated for bipolar when she was a teen. KM stated that she was bipolar months before her travels to Ireland (i.e. in her 20's). In fact he says she was hospitalised just months before her travels. She, apparently, told members of the Corbett family that she was bipolar. JC, apparently, told co-workers that she was bipolar prior to his leaving Ireland. TL put into evidence in the custody case that she left her medication lying around. Do we have any evidence to say that she was not bipolar?

I don't think Molly's mental health status will be an issue at the trial, unless she takes the stand. If she takes the stand, she will be questioned about the conflicting reports regarding her diagnosis and treatment, or lack thereof. That is one of the reasons I think it would be very foolhardy of her to take the stand.

I don't think Molly's mental health status will be an issue at the trial, unless she takes the stand. If she takes the stand, she will be questioned about the conflicting reports regarding her diagnosis and treatment, or lack thereof. That is one of the reasons I think it would be very foolhardy of her to take the stand.

Agree, to an extent. I think her actions will be raised. It is up to her Counsel whether they put her on the stand. The prosecution can raise her behaviour regardless. I feel her behaviour will be central to the prosecution.

Even if Tom Molly Sharon uncle mike and the grandparents and the whole ancestral line are psychopaths, its got nothing at all to do with the case. Unless she were to plead insanity.. we cannot believe her because we know she lies. Its a red herring and we have explored it ad nauseum already.
I think they both displayed psychopathic behavior, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx