GUILTY NC - Jason Corbett, 39, murdered in his Wallburg home, 2 Aug 2015 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you!

Hmmm, I haven't found info on those interviews yet.

This article has details on 2 of the early interviews.
The information the children gave in separate interviews is concerning. moo

Is Winston-Salem Journal a reputable source?

~snip~
The day after Jason Corbett was found dead, Jack and Sarah were in Union County, where Molly Corbett’s brother, Robert Martens, lives, according to the motion. Molly Corbett and her father were in Winston-Salem. An investigator with the Davidson County Sheriff’s Office referred the case to the Davidson County Department of Social Services. The Union County Department of Social Services was contacted, and social workers there arranged to interview the children.

The children were interviewed separately.

“Each child reported similar incidents of verbal and physical abuse by Jason Corbett inflicted upon Molly Corbett,” according to the motion.

The children were interviewed a second time on Aug. 6, the day of their father’s funeral. Jack and Sarah went to Dragonfly House Children’s Advocacy Center in Mocksville to attend a “child medical evaluation” that the Davidson County Sheriff’s Office had arranged, according to the motion.

The director of Dragonfly House did a forensic interview with each child. Two detectives with the Davidson County Sheriff’s Office and a Davidson County social worker watched the interviews through a two-way mirror.

Sarah said in her interview that she saw her father start fights for “ridiculous reasons” and he would “hurt her mom.” According to the motion, Sarah said her father called Molly Corbett names on a daily basis and would call her on the phone frequently.

Jason Corbett also stepped on Molly Corbett’s foot, pulled her hair, rolled over her foot with a car, called her worthless and hit her in the face, Sarah said in the interview, according to the motion.

Jack said he saw his father “punch, hit and push” Molly Corbett and saw him push her down one time because “he wanted to look through her phone.”

“(His father) would cuss and scream at her; his mom would cry and try to block her ears,” Jack said, according to the motion.

In the months before he died, Jason Corbett got angrier — “his mom would scream for him to stop but she would just ball up under the covers and block her ears,” Jack said, according to the motion.

http://www.journalnow.com/news/crim...cle_925deba5-bef2-5f59-981b-e3a8e02508e0.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only time abuse was catalogued was at Dragonfly House. The article you link was based on the motion filed by the defendants last year. During pre-trial evidence from the therapist who conducted the first interview she stated SC saw no abuse, and JC had negative feelings. Unfortunately when any journalist reports on a motion, they tend to be bound by the information contained therein.

All IMO

Thank you!

~snip~
The day after Jason Corbett was found dead, Jack and Sarah were in Union County, where Molly Corbett’s brother, Robert Martens, lives, according to the motion. Molly Corbett and her father were in Winston-Salem. An investigator with the Davidson County Sheriff’s Office referred the case to the Davidson County Department of Social Services. The Union County Department of Social Services was contacted, and social workers there arranged to interview the children.

“Each child reported similar incidents of verbal and physical abuse by Jason Corbett inflicted upon Molly Corbett,” according to the motion.

The children were interviewed a second time on Aug. 6, the day of their father’s funeral. Jack and Sarah went to Dragonfly House Children’s Advocacy Center in Mocksville to attend a “child medical evaluation” that the Davidson County Sheriff’s Office had arranged, according to the motion.

The director of Dragonfly House did a forensic interview with each child. Two detectives with the Davidson County Sheriff’s Office and a Davidson County social worker watched the interviews through a two-way mirror.

Sarah said in her interview that she saw her father start fights for “ridiculous reasons” and he would “hurt her mom.” According to the motion, Sarah said her father called Molly Corbett names on a daily basis and would call her on the phone frequently.

Jason Corbett also stepped on Molly Corbett’s foot, pulled her hair, rolled over her foot with a car, called her worthless and hit her in the face, Sarah said in the interview, according to the motion.

Jack said he saw his father “punch, hit and push” Molly Corbett and saw him push her down one time because “he wanted to look through her phone.”

“(His father) would cuss and scream at her; his mom would cry and try to block her ears,” Jack said, according to the motion.

In the months before he died, Jason Corbett got angrier — “his mom would scream for him to stop but she would just ball up under the covers and block her ears,” Jack said, according to the motion.

http://www.journalnow.com/news/crim...cle_925deba5-bef2-5f59-981b-e3a8e02508e0.html

I would also point out some basic errors in the article; JC was buried in Ireland weeks after August 6th......

That's ludicrous!!! If the prosecution can produce evidence that Jason was a peaceful man, then why should they not be allowed to allude to it in their opening statements? Are they going to refrain from referring to Molly as a devoted mother and wife etc etc??!

The Judge has not granted it, nor, in my view, can he grant it. The fact is the prosecution will be putting people on the stand who will provide evidence that JC was not violent. Therefore the prosecution can refer to this in opening. It seems the defence are grasping at straws at this stage.

All IMO

Let's be mindful that the defence team has already lied in previous motions they have filed . Especially the wedding lie about Mr Fitzpatrick. Personally I feel they are clinging to the Dragon fly interviews because they have nothing else . There were concerns raised by Det Nathan Briggs regarding those interviews . He had arranged them . He was one of the officers that was there . He has worked in these kind of situations before . The defence are allowed to say whatever they want in motions . They don't make them true . The judge will decide which evidence is heard by the jury not the defence their job is defend their defendants not to find the truth
Bumping this

Just posting a few articles / I re read but didn't see these so just so everyone has them .

https://www.facebook.com/TheIrishMai...type=3&theater

Molly Martens broke down in a court yesterday when a counsellor revealed her stepson said he had negative feelings toward her

During evidence given by counsellor Andrea Huckabee, it emerged Jack Corbett told her he had witnessed abuse taking place in the home.

Ms Huckabee had a 45 minute session therapeutic therapy session with Jack and Sarah Corbett. She said in that session Mr Corbetts only son made a point of telling her Ms Martens was his step mom and his first mom had passed away

During her session with Jack he said he had negative feelings towards his stepmother. She added he said I don't want to hurt my moms feelings

Ms Huckabee said Sarah had not disclosed witnessing abuse but that Jack had

Yesterdays hearing also heard from a paediatrician who examined Jack and Sarah after their fathers death - who revealed she diagnosed them as victims of child abuse

Paediatrician Dr Amy Suttel gave evidence yesterday at the hearing relating to the admission of evidence in the case - and said she gave a diagnosis that both of Mr Corbett's were victims of child abuse due to exposure to domestic violence

The defence for Ms Marten and her father argue interviews by both children at children's advocacy centre known as Dragonfly House should be put before a jury . Dr Suttel carried out a medical evaluation at the facility in the days after Mrs Corbett's death. She added that she did not make any determination on who was responsible for the abuse . Thats not my job she said. Dr Suttel reccommended that both children receive mental health treatment.

In later evidence Detective Nathan Briggs told the court he had made the appointment for the children to attend the Dragonfly house. He said that anothe rcollegeauge on the case had been told the children had a secret phone number to call their grandparents in Tennessee in case of emergency

The court also heard from Ms Martens closet friend who said in her statements to police were fabricated by detectives investigating Mr Corbetts death. Shannon Grubb who has only know Ms Martens since they became neighbours in 2011 claims she did not actually say what investigators recorded her as saying when she was interviewed . It (the statement )said I didn't believe her (Ms Martens) she told the curt yesterday it was not what I had said. She added I wept to the Da to correct my statement . I want the truth to be my words. Mrs Grubb said she was Ms Martens closet and best friend . She gave her evidence during a defence motion for a change of venue for the trial next month . Mrs Grubb claimed that the case had been subject to word of mouth publicly in the county and as such her friend could not get a fair trial

david Freeman representing Ms martens claimed the Sheriffs office [had disseminated information that was inflammatory and inadmissible at trial.. Responding prosecutor Alan Martin said that the defence had failed to show that the jury pool would be any diffenrent in this county to another Judge David Lee said he was having a hard time seeing the prejudice /QUOTE]

http://www.the-dispatch.com/news/201...avidson-county

The judge in a pretrial hearing for the murder case against Molly Martens Corbett and her father, Thomas Martens, denied a motion Friday to have the trial moved to Mocksville in neighboring Davie County.

Walter Holton and David Freedman, lawyers for Corbett and Martens, filed the motion to have the trial moved. They argued the amount of publicity the case has received in Davidson County has made it impossible to form an unbiased jury.

Find that kind of laughable since they are getting contacting the media at every chance

Davidson Superior Court Judge David Lee said he did not find any proof that the defendants could not receive a fair and impartial trial in Davidson County.
“The defense has failed to find existing community prejudice that they can’t receive a fair trial,” Lee said. “There is no showing of prejudice in the investigation or proceedings … to preclude selection of a jury.”

Also during the hearing, the judge deferred ruling on a motion to redact statements about witnessing domestic abuse that Jason Corbett’s children made when interviewed at a child advocacy center after the homicide.

Testifying Friday, Tracey Lynch stated that shortly after moving to Ireland, Jack told her he had lied about witnessing any domestic abuse and wanted to contact police in Davidson County.
“He said he felt really bad about it,” Lynch said. “He said he wanted to tell the police that he had lied.”

Lawyers for the defense claimed that when the children were interviewed by child advocacy experts at the Dragonfly House they were given detailed instructions about the importance of being truthful and told they could make corrections to any statement they felt were inaccurate.The defense attorneys added that staff at the child advocacy center had followed a national protocol to determine whether a child knows the difference between a truth and a lie through a series of questions not related to the case.
Judge Lee said he preferred the lawyers argue before the judge presiding over the case at trial whether specific statements should be heard by a jury.

Jack Corbett asked if his stepmother and her father had been locked up yet during a visit to his fathers grave

In his testimony at pretrial David Lynch Mr Corbett's brother in law told the court that during an emotional out burst Jack now 12 said he had lied to detectives in the Us who had interviewed him about the case

Earlier Tracey Lynch told the court that both children had asked to keep diaries upon their return to Ireland and that these were sent to the authorities in the Us. They had been attending therapy sessions and the physiologist recommended they record their feelings

Also giving evidence yesterday was Detective Nathan Briggs who had arranged interviews for both children in August 2015 at a child advocacy centre in the US after their father had been found dead at his North Carolina home that month . He told the court he feared they had been coached prior to their questioning . Jack and Sarah Corbett were interviewed by trained professionals at the Dragonfly Centre in the days after their fathers death . They were brought there by Molly Martens mother Sharon . Detective Higgs was present in a nearby room when a staff member entered saying Sharon Martens was insisting Jack was interviewed first. We decided Sarah should go first . A lot of the time in investigations we see that the kids have been coached . He added if there was coaching then we would disturb it

Let's be mindful that the defence team has already lied in previous motions they have filed . Especially the wedding lie about Mr Fitzpatrick. Personally I feel they are clinging to the Dragon fly interviews because they have nothing else . There were concerns raised by Det Nathan Briggs regarding those interviews . He had arranged them . He was one of the officers that was there . He has worked in these kind of situations before . The defence are allowed to say whatever they want in motions . They don't make them true . The judge will decide which evidence is heard by the jury not the defence their job is defend their defendants not to find the truth
Bumping this

Just posting a few articles / I re read but didn't see these so just so everyone has them .

Molly Martens broke down in a court yesterday when a counsellor revealed her stepson said he had negative feelings toward her

During evidence given by counsellor Andrea Huckabee, it emerged Jack Corbett told her he had witnessed abuse taking place in the home.

Ms Huckabee had a 45 minute session therapeutic therapy session with Jack and Sarah Corbett. She said in that session Mr Corbetts only son made a point of telling her Ms Martens was his step mom and his first mom had passed away

During her session with Jack he said he had negative feelings towards his stepmother. She added he said I don't want to hurt my moms feelings

Ms Huckabee said Sarah had not disclosed witnessing abuse but that Jack had

Yesterdays hearing also heard from a paediatrician who examined Jack and Sarah after their fathers death - who revealed she diagnosed them as victims of child abuse

Paediatrician Dr Amy Suttel gave evidence yesterday at the hearing relating to the admission of evidence in the case - and said she gave a diagnosis that both of Mr Corbett's were victims of child abuse due to exposure to domestic violence

The defence for Ms Marten and her father argue interviews by both children at children's advocacy centre known as Dragonfly House should be put before a jury . Dr Suttel carried out a medical evaluation at the facility in the days after Mrs Corbett's death. She added that she did not make any determination on who was responsible for the abuse . Thats not my job she said. Dr Suttel reccommended that both children receive mental health treatment.

In later evidence Detective Nathan Briggs told the court he had made the appointment for the children to attend the Dragonfly house. He said that anothe rcollegeauge on the case had been told the children had a secret phone number to call their grandparents in Tennessee in case of emergency

The court also heard from Ms Martens closet friend who said in her statements to police were fabricated by detectives investigating Mr Corbetts death. Shannon Grubb who has only know Ms Martens since they became neighbours in 2011 claims she did not actually say what investigators recorded her as saying when she was interviewed . It (the statement )said I didn't believe her (Ms Martens) she told the curt yesterday it was not what I had said. She added I wept to the Da to correct my statement . I want the truth to be my words. Mrs Grubb said she was Ms Martens closet and best friend . She gave her evidence during a defence motion for a change of venue for the trial next month . Mrs Grubb claimed that the case had been subject to word of mouth publicly in the county and as such her friend could not get a fair trial

david Freeman representing Ms martens claimed the Sheriffs office [had disseminated information that was inflammatory and inadmissible at trial.. Responding prosecutor Alan Martin said that the defence had failed to show that the jury pool would be any diffenrent in this county to another Judge David Lee said he was having a hard time seeing the prejudice /QUOTE]

http://www.the-dispatch.com/news/201...avidson-county

The judge in a pretrial hearing for the murder case against Molly Martens Corbett and her father, Thomas Martens, denied a motion Friday to have the trial moved to Mocksville in neighboring Davie County.

Walter Holton and David Freedman, lawyers for Corbett and Martens, filed the motion to have the trial moved. They argued the amount of publicity the case has received in Davidson County has made it impossible to form an unbiased jury.

Find that kind of laughable since they are getting contacting the media at every chance

Davidson Superior Court Judge David Lee said he did not find any proof that the defendants could not receive a fair and impartial trial in Davidson County.
“The defense has failed to find existing community prejudice that they can’t receive a fair trial,” Lee said. “There is no showing of prejudice in the investigation or proceedings … to preclude selection of a jury.”

Also during the hearing, the judge deferred ruling on a motion to redact statements about witnessing domestic abuse that Jason Corbett’s children made when interviewed at a child advocacy center after the homicide.

Testifying Friday, Tracey Lynch stated that shortly after moving to Ireland, Jack told her he had lied about witnessing any domestic abuse and wanted to contact police in Davidson County.
“He said he felt really bad about it,” Lynch said. “He said he wanted to tell the police that he had lied.”

Lawyers for the defense claimed that when the children were interviewed by child advocacy experts at the Dragonfly House they were given detailed instructions about the importance of being truthful and told they could make corrections to any statement they felt were inaccurate.The defense attorneys added that staff at the child advocacy center had followed a national protocol to determine whether a child knows the difference between a truth and a lie through a series of questions not related to the case.
Judge Lee said he preferred the lawyers argue before the judge presiding over the case at trial whether specific statements should be heard by a jury.

Jack Corbett asked if his stepmother and her father had been locked up yet during a visit to his fathers grave

In his testimony at pretrial David Lynch Mr Corbett's brother in law told the court that during an emotional out burst Jack now 12 said he had lied to detectives in the Us who had interviewed him about the case

Earlier Tracey Lynch told the court that both children had asked to keep diaries upon their return to Ireland and that these were sent to the authorities in the Us. They had been attending therapy sessions and the physiologist recommended they record their feelings

Also giving evidence yesterday was Detective Nathan Briggs who had arranged interviews for both children in August 2015 at a child advocacy centre in the US after their father had been found dead at his North Carolina home that month . He told the court he feared they had been coached prior to their questioning . Jack and Sarah Corbett were interviewed by trained professionals at the Dragonfly Centre in the days after their fathers death . They were brought there by Molly Martens mother Sharon . Detective Higgs was present in a nearby room when a staff member entered saying Sharon Martens was insisting Jack was interviewed first. We decided Sarah should go first . A lot of the time in investigations we see that the kids have been coached . He added if there was coaching then we would disturb it

Really informative post, thanks.

Sent from my SM-T561 using Tapatalk

Kitty we did discuss something similar when it became apparent that the motion filed regarding the discussion with Michael Fitzpatrick was a complete fabrication. They quickly withdrew the motion and blamed an administrative error.
True, but they only blamed it on 'getting date wrong', not context, sadly so I do think the misrepresentation still exists.
Also they were fully aware of earlier response to this attempt.

Well I guess if the defense succeed in their last minute motion at least there are some other terms still available to the prosecution...placid, amiable, calm, sociable, trustworthy, mellow, composed, steady, gentle....all of these terms have been used by independent witnesses as testament to Jason's character. It is unusual for someone to be all of these other things and not be peaceful but I guess it would be up to the jury to figure out that contradiction!

True, but they only blamed it on 'getting date wrong', not context, sadly so I do think the misrepresentation still exists.
Also they were fully aware of earlier response to this attempt.

I somewhat disagree. They have not refiled any application to have this evidence admitted. I think it highly unlikely that they confused the wedding of their only daughter with any other event.

All IMO

http://www.journalnow.com/news/crime...3c0741c38.html

The father of Jason Corbett’s first wife believed Corbett was responsible for his daughter’s death, according to a motion filed by attorneys for Thomas Martens, who is charged in Corbett’s death.

“The content of the statements were that Mr. Fitzpatrick believed that Jason Corbett had caused the death of Mr. Fitzpatrick’s daughter Margaret Corbett,” the motion says. “Mr. Fitzpatrick’s prior statements are offered in support of the defendant’s asserted defenses of self-defense and the defense of others, in that they are relevant to the defendant’s state of mind during the alleged altercation with Jason Corbett.”

http://www.independent.ie/world-news...-35803451.html

Now, the former FBI agent is claiming in a motion filed to the court ahead of the trial that he was "approached by Michael Fitzpatrick (since deceased), the father of Jason Corbett's late first wife Margaret Corbett" at his daughter and Jason's wedding in 2011.It reads; "On that occasion, Mr Fitzpatrick told Mr Martens that he believed that Jason Corbett had caused the death of his daughter Margaret."

The motion reads; "Specifically, during the alleged altercation that resulted in the death of Jason Corbett, Mr Martens witnessed Jason Corbett, a man far larger and more physically powerful than he or his daughter, choking his daughter and threatening to kill her, and thereafter acted in defense of his daughter and, eventually, in his own defense [sic]."
It adds that Mr Martens was allegedly aware of Jason Corbett's size during the assault, and that "Mr Fitzpatrick had represented to him that Mr Fitzpatrick believed his duaghter's death to have come at the hands of Jason Corbett.""[The allegation] is being offered... to show the reasonableness of Mr Martens' apprehension of death or serious bodily to he and his daughter - and thus is competent evidence with respect to Mr Martens' state of mind."

Mrs Fitzpatricks response

Claims are blatant lies Jason was just a great husband to my daughter

My husband was not at Jasons second wedding , None of us were , so the incident described at the wedding in the States is nothing more than a fabrication . We were in Ireland at the time so its physically impossible that Tom Martens had any conversation with my husband in Tennessee

And in interviews with the Mail several other guests at Mr Corbetts second wedding confirmed Mr Fitzpatrick was not there

Mrs Fitzpatrick broke down as she described the agony she felt in light of the claims . These claims have been deeply hurtful. I recently lost my own father as well as my husband its a very difficult time

But the truth is these claims are all blatant lies Michael got on extremely well with Jason. He was a great husband to Mags and a wonderful person

If you had known my husband you would have known he was a gentleman. If there had been any risk to Mags he would have stepped in

Michael Fitzpatrick was not at that wedding said Brendan O Callaghan Mr Corbetts best man . None of the FitzPatricks were

I was Jasons best man. I was there for the rehearsals the ceremony the reception the whole lot. I know for a fact MIchael Fitzpatrick was not there

I don't know why Mr Martens is making up these allegations. Mags died of an asthma attack. There was a post mortem

Karen Gorey whose daughter was a flower girl at the wedding said she found the allegations
deeply disturbing

Michael Fitzpatrick wasn't there . His passing is still very raw so these claims have been very upsetting for his family

The allegation is very serious and the fact is it is simply untrue. The fact he is not here to state that says it all. Its a very low blow to drag a deceased man into a lie

https://www.facebook.com/TheIrishMai...c_location=ufi

Attachments

• IMG_4087.jpg
    IMG_4087.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 10
attachment.php

Attachments

• molly marterns.jpg
    molly marterns.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 50
I somewhat disagree. They have not refiled any application to have this evidence admitted. I think it highly unlikely that they confused the wedding of their only daughter with any other event.

All IMO
see posts #835 and #836.

Thank you!

~snip~

Let's start from a point of neutrality to both Molly and Jason. And then let's look at their histories as a baseline for who brought the chaos and death to that house.

At the Justice for Jason FB page, family, friends, his dead first wife's family and friends... all have extolled the gentleness and kindness of Jason for over two years. His first wife's sister lived with them, was there the night of Mag's fatal asthma attack. Over and over, they have posted testimonials to this gentle, loving man.

That's the background to this story about Jason.

What about Molly? Have you read Keith Maginn's book "Turning this Thing around?" It was published years ago, years before anyone cared about the truthfulness or character of Molly Martens. I have posted excerpts from the book...which I own...available on Amazon. He has stepped forward to describe Mollys lies, her rages, her propensity to start fights, the cocktails of drugs she consumed, her insomnia, her days spent incapable of controlling her weeping.

Please remember two things. This book was published years ago. Maginn did step forward however to explain his emotional abuse and struggles living with Molly. She left right from a stint in a mental hospital to fly to Ireland. He had nothing to gain years ago when he published his book. That is key.

Ask yourself if the NC media has ever reported on Maginn's book or interview. Why not? Don't we all need all the information we can garner to forge a path to truth? Why was this information suppressed?

Secondly, ask yourself if you believe bipolar disease of this severity...requiring a cocktail of drugs to manage, that a virus or new medication could completely negate their effects...ask yourself if a transatlantic flight could "cure" this illness and all it's attending behaviors?

So you have a chaotic history for Molly...a gentle, loving history for Jason. But we are asked to believe exactly the opposite!

The Prosecutor cannot put out statements prior to trial...the Defense however can make motions "tweaking" information, "editing" other information as much as they pleased. For example, they made a motion that TM was told by Jason's first wife's father that Jason murdered Mags. The attorneys said TM was told this at MM's wedding.

The NC newspapers reported this. What they haven't reported was the outrage from the Fitzgerald family..who proved Mr. FItzgerald never attended that wedding and loved Jason. Mags Mother gave an interview, totally outraged. It was a lie.

Have you read this in US papers? I haven't. Where do you think the attorneys got such a lie to print and why did they put it in a legal motion?

So the "abuse" accusations must be put in context. How and why did the children come to be left at the scene of their Fathers murder, in the custody of his killers? I'm trying to imagine if I were beaten to death by my husband and his Father...that the authorities would just remove my corpse and leave my babies in their hands. Think of the hours to fill their heads with threats and crying and feelings that THEY, the children, had to be the saviors.

I have never heard of a victim's children being left for days with the killers.

Please consider all this. I pray the jury does as well.

Emma, this is what I was referring to re date.. Its not a retraction, they are still saying he said it.

Thanks Kitty, I have no doubt they still want it in the press that he said this at some point or other. My issue is that, in accordance with professional conduct rules the motion as originally filed had to be withdrawn - it was proven to be a fabrication. I have not seen any mention of an amended or altered motion being filed to have this hearsay evidence admitted. Without a motion and susequent decision by the Judge, it will not be admitted and the Jury will not hear it.

I will state, as I have stated before, I do not think the defence ever though this evidence would go before the Jury thet were hoping to disimate it in the press to taint the jury pool

All IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member