GUILTY NC - Jason Corbett, 39, murdered in his Wallburg home, 2 Aug 2015 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Evidence isn't presented during opening arguments. There are rules and procedures and case precedence. In this case, the prosecution has to prove the defendants didn't act in self defense. Molly and Thomas Martens are entitled to a fair trial. American Justice is weighing the scales here. Nothing else.
Not true. Evidence can be referenced in the opening statement..."The Prosecutuon will show that,etc." It happens all the time.

As a fellow American, please stop implying that "American justice" is "weighing any scales." American justice is supposed to be blind...not "weighing scales." In this case MM and TM have admitted the crime. They admitted that every heinous injury on Jason was inflicted by one or the other of them.

The only question is if self defense will be believed and/or if the jury believes self defense allows such horrific overkill.

Pleas don't give our Irish friends the idea that American justice is fiddling with any "scales" to give advantage to these admitted killers.
Are you saying we should just proceed to the penalty phase without benefit of trial?

It is not my assumption that Jason deserved to die. Speak your own thoughts only.

I never said it was your assumption. But yet you seem to think it was justified. Jason died from OVERKILL. A rat in the gutter wouldn't deserve to die like he did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like to leave this here to remind us of Jason's family. Who are also victims of this crime.
https://www.facebook.com/BringJackandSarahHome/posts/482695955397817:0
Edit: not sure if link worked from jfj page:
As the trial approaches I'd like to spare a thought for Jason's mother Rita. As the perpetrators will continue to attempt to smear Jason's good name, I know that today, tomorrow and on each & every day of the year, Rita will think of her son, her baby she gave birth to, remembering the beautiful child he was and the wonderful gentleman he became. She will honour his life by doing the best she can. There is no braver person then a grieving mother that faces another day without their child. And there is no more cowardice to be found then those who kill a man & then try destroy his character.
#JusticeforJason

ea888edfe9eaa27f4a596723569b566b.jpg

Evidence isn't presented during opening arguments. There are rules and procedures and case precedence. In this case, the prosecution has to prove the defendants didn't act in self defense. Molly and Thomas Martens are entitled to a fair trial. American Justice is weighing the scales here. Nothing else.

But if the prosecution's case is that based on his character the accusation that the defendants would be required to act in self defense is moot then surely they should be allowed to allude to this in their opening statement?

Articles are out there on all the interviews but if your searching in the USA the press has been quite biast in MM favour from what I have seen, so I would search both Irish and USA media and press to get a better view point of both sides of the water.

MOO

Sent from my SM-T561 using Tapatalk

Thank you for this suggestion. Will see what I can find.

Let's start from a point of neutrality to both Molly and Jason. And then let's look at their histories as a baseline for who brought the chaos and death to that house.

At the Justice for Jason FB page, family, friends, his dead first wife's family and friends... all have extolled the gentleness and kindness of Jason for over two years. His first wife's sister lived with them, was there the night of Mag's fatal asthma attack. Over and over, they have posted testimonials to this gentle, loving man.

That's the background to this story about Jason.

What about Molly? Have you read Keith Maginn's book "Turning this Thing around?" It was published years ago, years before anyone cared about the truthfulness or character of Molly Martens. I have posted excerpts from the book...which I own...available on Amazon. He has stepped forward to describe Mollys lies, her rages, her propensity to start fights, the cocktails of drugs she consumed, her insomnia, her days spent incapable of controlling her weeping.

Please remember two things. This book was published years ago. Maginn did step forward however to explain his emotional abuse and struggles living with Molly. She left right from a stint in a mental hospital to fly to Ireland. He had nothing to gain years ago when he published his book. That is key.

Ask yourself if the NC media has ever reported on Maginn's book or interview. Why not? Don't we all need all the information we can garner to forge a path to truth? Why was this information suppressed?

Secondly, ask yourself if you believe bipolar disease of this severity...requiring a cocktail of drugs to manage, that a virus or new medication could completely negate their effects...ask yourself if a transatlantic flight could "cure" this illness and all it's attending behaviors?

So you have a chaotic history for Molly...a gentle, loving history for Jason. But we are asked to believe exactly the opposite!

The Prosecutor cannot put out statements prior to trial...the Defense however can make motions "tweaking" information, "editing" other information as much as they pleased. For example, they made a motion that TM was told by Jason's first wife's father that Jason murdered Mags. The attorneys said TM was told this at MM's wedding.

The NC newspapers reported this. What they haven't reported was the outrage from the Fitzgerald family..who proved Mr. FItzgerald never attended that wedding and loved Jason. Mags Mother gave an interview, totally outraged. It was a lie.

Have you read this in US papers? I haven't. Where do you think the attorneys got such a lie to print and why did they put it in a legal motion?

So the "abuse" accusations must be put in context. How and why did the children come to be left at the scene of their Fathers murder, in the custody of his killers? I'm trying to imagine if I were beaten to death by my husband and his Father...that the authorities would just remove my corpse and leave my babies in their hands. Think of the hours to fill their heads with threats and crying and feelings that THEY, the children, had to be the saviors.

I have never heard of a victim's children being left for days with the killers.

Please consider all this. I pray the jury does as well.

Thank you stmarysmead, this is a lot to consider.

I do hesitate to take the ex-lovers words as gospel as it's one-sided. moo

I'm not familiar with NC law. Are witness lists made public? Is he on the witness list?

But if the prosecution's case is that based on his character the accusation that the defendants would be required to act in self defense is moot then surely they should be allowed to allude to this in their opening statement?

That's why I think the defense may have direct evidence to the contrary but I'm only speculating. The burden of proof is that the defendants didn't act in self-defense; that's different than making a case for first degree murder where the defense challenges the evidence presented by the prosecution. it's the other way around here. I think the motion is a simple request to let the defense present their own case instead of having the prosecution do it for them. IMO

Thank you stmarysmead, this is a lot to consider.

I do hesitate to take the ex-lovers words as gospel as it's one-sided. moo

I'm not familiar with NC law. Are witness lists made public? Is he on the witness list?

I would doubt he will be called as a witness as he was able to give an interview to a newspaper based on his time with Molly. He would have had no recent knowledge of her after she left for Ireland to take up the position of au pair. It would appear that people who had interactions with Molly during her time with Jason have been restricted from doing so as they will be called to testify.

The information garnered from KM in no way reflects Molly's guilt of the current charges, we have discussed it here on the basis that it offers an insight into how Molly coped in a previous relationship and so may give some ideas as to how she may have coped with stresses in her relationship with Jason.

The prosecutor will outline the facts of the case during his/her opening statement.

Fact they can present to support he was calm / gentle / non-violent:
No arrests for assault or DV. ?

Moo

What was the victim, J’s, thoughts, fears, and dreams for the future that fateful night? J was human. He may have been still struggling with letting go. He might have tried to hang on too long, not to insinuate that he was at fault, just that he, as a human being, might have tried to appease everyone with the least amount of pain as possible in an impossible situation especially when it came to his children. Isn’t it just like a human being not to be sure when it is time to let it all go and move on even when there is no doubt that staying might cause you immense pain but fear that moving on might cause your children even more pain? Maybe that is where J was the night of his death. The autopsy report noted “Clothing: Other than a white metal ring on the left 4th finger, the body is unclad and no clothing accompanies the body.” Was there anything more that the victim, J, could give than what was given?

I never said it was your assumption. But yet you seem to think it was justified. Jason died from OVERKILL. A rat in the gutter wouldn't deserve to die like he did.

I agree, he was killed pretty bad. I would think you might want to know the truth about what happened. That you Have judged Molly before hearing her story means you will never know the truth because she's the only one that can tell you what happened.

It's really tough to feel abused by someone everybody else likes. Its tough to take in stride actions that others may feel is good natured fun, if you yourself don't feel that way. Being knocked over in front of your children is devastating for you and your children. But, whatever she did that night, she had enough of whatever it is she was suffering from. And she will be judged for that. IMO

That's why I think the defense may have direct evidence to the contrary but I'm only speculating. The burden of proof is that the defendants didn't act in self-defense; that's different than making a case for first degree murder where the defense challenges the evidence presented by the prosecution. it's the other way around here. I think the motion is a simple request to let the defense present their own case instead of having the prosecution do it for them. IMO

Ok I see your point. I would have thought the prosecution case is that they are guilty of second degree murder/voluntary manslaughter and therefore they will present a case that warrants that conviction. It is the defense who are claiming self defense and therefore it is up to them to mitigate the charges based on the fact they were justified as per that defense. IMO

I'd like to leave this here to remind us of Jason's family. Who are also victims of this crime.
https://www.facebook.com/BringJackandSarahHome/posts/482695955397817:0
Edit: not sure if link worked from jfj page:
As the trial approaches I'd like to spare a thought for Jason's mother Rita. As the perpetrators will continue to attempt to smear Jason's good name, I know that today, tomorrow and on each & every day of the year, Rita will think of her son, her baby she gave birth to, remembering the beautiful child he was and the wonderful gentleman he became. She will honour his life by doing the best she can. There is no braver person then a grieving mother that faces another day without their child. And there is no more cowardice to be found then those who kill a man & then try destroy his character.
#JusticeforJason

ea888edfe9eaa27f4a596723569b566b.jpg
Thanks for that reminder Fairness.
I have never met the lady but I have heard her described as extraordinarily gracious and gentle.
That is why I resent so many of the cruel taunts against the victim, her son.

I do hope she does not read online, I also hope his brothers and sisters and his children do not read the wilful cruel comments. People are grieving. Many people are grieving.
To inflict wounds knowingly on those who grieve is one of the worst forms of sadism, IMO.

Reminding us of the brutality evidenced in the autopsy report of Jason Corbett. Informed by similar energy, without remorse, without regret without any respect for the rights dignity and autonomy for either the victim or his family or his inlaws, the Fitzpatricks who were so recently bereaved.
Its outrageous.
It is morally ethically and spiritually wrong.
Day after day there are new insults.
What needs to happen before it stops?
We probably exist in the darkest period of humanity.. we have lost or discarded that which separates us from simple love and decency.

The prosecutor will outline the facts of the case during his/her opening statement.

Fact they can present to support he was calm / gentle / non-violent:
No arrests for assault or DV. ?

Moo

Not that we are aware.

There is another thread with media links only in the title. There's quite alot of info on the case on that thread, it may be useful for you if you're trying to get up to speed on the case. It gives background info as much as we have it on all involved, hope it helps!

What was the victim, J’s, thoughts, fears, and dreams for the future that fateful night? J was human. He may have been still struggling with letting go. He might have tried to hang on too long, not to insinuate that he was at fault, just that he, as a human being, might have tried to appease everyone with the least amount of pain as possible in an impossible situation especially when it came to his children. Isn’t it just like a human being not to be sure when it is time to let it all go and move on even when there is no doubt that staying might cause you immense pain but fear that moving on might cause your children even more pain? Maybe that is where J was the night of his death. The autopsy report noted “Clothing: Other than a white metal ring on the left 4th finger, the body is unclad and no clothing accompanies the body.” Was there anything more that the victim, J, could give than what was given?
Nailed it!

In the next few weeks it will be very important to remember the truth is the truth no matter what happens with the trial or what the media deems print worthy. The truth meant that J’s children were placed with those most able to care for them long before the trial. The truth was made known to the world, that the L’s were the best fit for J’s children, not the M’s, who admitted that they killed J. So please know that no matter what the troll(s) and the designated/paid for MM/TM lieutenants/family members/friends, including their lawyers, might try to infer and use every opportunity to cause unnecessary pain to those most touched by this homicide, the truth is the truth. So please, do NOT lose hope, know that no matter what happens, the best outcome has already been realized, J’s children are with those who really love them. Please know, that this is not meant to deny that J’s children and family must feel absolutely cheated by his senseless death. Just meant to recognize that …. STOP!!!! I am a fool for trying to find the positive in the most heinous crime against a helpless victim. Please forgive me for trying to make something positive out of nothing but evil. Glad that J’s children are with those who love them. Sad that J’s children are with those who love them because he was murdered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seng Naw