GUILTY NC - Jason Corbett, 39, murdered in his Wallburg home, 2 Aug 2015 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly Mary...it is my opinion the defense will want jurors who will convict on the emotive testimony from the defendants rather than the factual evidence such as the autopsy.

And if it is the prosecution who is objecting, I wonder which side of the fence the 'friend' may be on?

Not to mention, that this is not NYC or Chicago. This is a small county in NC. I would think all these defense attorneys have at least a passing acquaintance with each other.

Plus, if you drive a taxi, you are more sympathetic to issues that affect a taxi drivers job. Same with defense attorneys. Why put a defense atty on the jury to begin with?

Not to mention, that this is not NYC or Chicago. This is a small county in NC. I would think all these defense attorneys have at least a passing acquaintance with each other.

Plus, if you drive a taxi, you are more sympathetic to issues that affect a taxi drivers job. Same with defense attorneys. Why put a defense atty on the jury to begin with?

Agree with you there. I find it quite unbelievable that legal professionals are allowed on any jury. In Ireland, legal staff of any grade or position are automatically excused from jury service due of any prior legal knowledge or otherwise they may have so I'm shocked a criminal defense lawyer would be allowed along with the clerk from Davidson County Court that the prosecution wanted! Makes no sense. It's supposed to be a jury of our peers. Qualified lawyers and law clerks in with others of various differing occupations just doesn't sit well with me. Tbh I can see why it's taking so long. I'd imagine it's difficult to find 12 people who have to have been basically living under a rock the last couple of years, who don't read newspapers, know noone involved with DV etc. How could a criminal defence attorney in that same county have not seen any news or tv on this or any mention of it among court staff and court lists etc. It's a strange one! It will be next week before its sorted Imo

This article takes on the subject of lawyers and jury duty... http://www.stroock.com/SiteFiles/Pub1185.pdf

"How often do lawyers serve on juries, anyway? Should lawyers be included in the spectrum of possible jurors just like anyone else, or should they be properly called out (and sometimes culled out) for bringing “special” issues to the jury box? Ask a seasoned trial attorney and she would probably find a host of potential problems with lawyers as jurors: They may be less willing, or less able, to listen with an open mind, bringing their jealous mistress (the law) with them wherever they go. In turn, lawyers may be prone, if not directly encouraged by their fellow jurors, to take over deliberations, given their often dynamic personalities or their (sometimes, supposed) knowledge of the law and its protocols to which other jurors would defer. Others might less charitably say that attorneys can be a problem because of their arrogance and inclination to interpret for themselves the law and its protocols. They may not be able to help themselves from coming to court with an agenda -- maybe to get out of jury duty, or alternatively, maybe to get selected as a juror."

It concludes with:
"If we believe that jurors should represent a cross-section of society, then we have to take them as they come -- the irrational crazies and all. Of course, trial counsel have a right to remove some jurors, but making the determination of who is “suitable” is easier said than done. The voir dire system only purports to work if potential jurors are willing to participate honestly, to the extent the court and its officers can decipher through questions that a member of the venire is better left off the jury. The best thing lawyers can bring to the table is this level of understanding and respect for the jury selection process, like any other court proceeding. The system asks no more from lawyers-as-prospective-jurors than anyone else. Lawyers should be counted on not to fight the process and use their professional skills to practice to deceive -- to either get on or off a jury for “extrajudicial” reasons. And so we end where we began: There are no professional jurors, and that’s a good thing."

I suspect it was another attorney who advised the juror to question the appropriateness of her serving on this jury; sounds like she is just being honest

Apparently. acc to defence lawyers they were not tested for either drugs or alcohol 'because the deputies had not reason to do so'
It was reported that Molly drank heavily and drove while drinking pretty strong alcohol... these reports are online and arose during or after the custody case.
I honestly cannot see a context where they were again mentioned yesterday by the prosecution in the course of jury selection whereas I do think it rational that warnings of graphic images would be viewed.
In relation to your link below, there were very strange contacts made with Jason's family following his murder and a delay of almost a full day.
<modsnip>
I believe there was a hang-up call too from Sharon, Molly's mother who was also in the house that night but who is apparently being protected.
The below article may have been mostly taken from an old report in the Limerick Leader.
I do know that Jason's brother had visited with him a week beforehand and if he said that, I would be inclined to believe it.

In relation to autopsy blood alcohol content was equivalent of a beer, 2 max several hours pre-mortem.
I understand from previous press -for-the-defence-reports that he has or intends to find an 'expert' who will claim that Jason's blood alcohol levels were inaccurate because he will maintain that somehow his body continued to process this vast quantity of alcohol after life had ceased. He made some wild claims also that he would be proving that this alcohol in combination with a very low dose of a sedative could in combination bring about a psychotic episode, byt that Jason was indeed a very nice peaceful bloke ordinarily, it was just that one night.. that single psychotic episode.. that clearly has not panned out too well for him, thus the emphasis on DV now..
In some of the earlier threads there is quite a lot of work with peer reviewed and cited articles referenced disproving this theory entirely and some basic articles on body mechanisms post mortem and metabolism specifically.
HERES my LINKS
https://www.rte.ie/radio1/marian-fi...turday-15-august-2015/?clipid=1953054#1953054 re how family were informed and the anomalies
Molly's alleged Drinking Strong alcohol while driving http://www.independent.ie/irish-new...r-wedding-jason-corbetts-sister-34345782.html
Defence regarding expert witness http://www.the-dispatch.com/news/20160324/attorney-maintains-corbetts-innocence
Defence contradicting other defence , also re toxicological screening http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/defense-lawyers-speak-father-daughter-nc-murder-case-38340402
Actual blood toxicological levels from autopsy https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.tow...-533d-86af-032964d7a959/56e1690d433ca.pdf.pdf
Actual autopsy http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.town...-5d24-a2ed-e651f4d8e6fd/56907dd1da036.pdf.pdf

Justice for Jason is nearer then you think....
2696.png
&#9878;&#65039;

(pic ~ Irish Daily Mail)

attachment.php
https://www.facebook.com/BringJackandSarahHome/photos/a.153176981683051.1073741828.153120975021985/485638451770234/?type=3&theater

Attachments

• Justice.jpg
    Justice.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 119
The real question is why a prosecutor wanted a criminal defense attorney on their jury in the first place. That borders on malpractice.

https://www.thesun.ie/archives...301/our-fight-for-jasons-kids/

My brother Wayne was at home at my mum’s and he got a call. The name that came up was Molly Martens but it was actually Molly’s mother Sharon Martens who was on the phone.”

He added: “It was a 50-second call. She was so full of remorse about what happened her stepson that she said, ‘Wayne there’s been an accident. Your brother is dead,’ and hung up. The information snowballed from there.”

https://www.google.ie/amp/www....illing-911-call-ex-7138554.amp

TM: I hit him in the head

Operator: with what?

TM: with a baseball bat

Operator: with a baseball bat?

TM: yes ma'am. He was choking my daughter he said I'm going to kill her

Operator: where is the baseball bat at

TM: in the bedroom here with me

Operator: okay don't touch it any more

TM: yes ma'am

http://www.independent.ie/irish-new...her-husbands-killing-court-told-34345784.html

Murder accused Molly Martens Corbett admitted killing her Irish husband, a US court was told.

Ms Martens (32) is alleged to have made the admission to her sister-in-law in the hours after her husband, Jason Corbett (39), died from head injures at their home in North Carolina.

3 different stories about how JC ended up dead August 2nd. Seems odd. With a horrific killing such as it was, I would think if you felt it was justified there would be a level of clarity and also remorse in the immediate aftermath. Who waits hours to tell someone's family their loved one has passed away too? Why 3 different stories, that questions credibility and why no remorse that questions character imo.

Even if you were to believe the DV claims what did the Corbett family do to mm? We saw lovely pics of her time with Wayne in the weeks previous she posted pics of a family holiday with Jason's family after JC death, she reposted a video and comments shared between her and tracy, she was surely aware of the families closeness, why the cruelty? Why the coldness? if this was a "I didn't want to but I had no choice" killing?

All my own opinions

Sent from my SM-T561 using Tapatalk

Justice for Jason is nearer then you think....
2696.png
[emoji1013]&#65039;

(pic ~ Irish Daily Mail)

attachment.php
https://www.facebook.com/BringJackandSarahHome/photos/a.153176981683051.1073741828.153120975021985/485638451770234/?type=3&theater
What a picture. Thanks Stephan.

I see blue is the colour of choice again and noticibly the last four days looser fitting clothes such a contrast from previous hearings. I guess that juror that was dismissed yesterday might not be the only one to notice . That was such a good observation and corresponding info you posted day 2.

Imo

I'm quite familiar with it being a defense attorney myself. I would never put a prosecutor or police officer on my jury.

It scares me.. trials by media.. so horribly invasive..
I believe our own justice system to be awful for many reasons.. but not for these reasons..
A court of justice, particularly a supreme court should be a rarified environment.. free from contamination.. so that truth can emerge freely..
these are like hives of gossip.. it has to infect the environment..

But it's the prosecution that wants her dismissed and defense is fighting to keep her.

I would think the prosecution want her dismissed due to concerns about juror misconduct. She was picked yesterday and, in the space of one evening, had a discussion with a friend in which she disclosed she had been picked for the jury (as I cannot see any other reason how her friend would know this unless s/he too was in Court) and her friend, whom it appears had some knowledge of the case, told her to recuse herself.

If that conversation had occured after she had been sworn in as a juror that could be grounds for a mistrial.

All IMO

This case is not at all similar to Jodie Arias' case. IMO I fail to see the connection. IMO

Young, pretty girl who kills her lover, claims self defence. I see a similarity.

However, regardless of my own view on similarities, I believe what BeTrue is pointing out is the difference in appearance of MM since the trial began. Much more demure, less make up, dressing down as compared to her earlier Court appearances. All things that Jodi Arias did during her trial to appear more innocent looking.

All IMO

It scares me.. trials by media.. so horribly invasive..
I believe our own justice system to be awful for many reasons.. but not for these reasons..
A court of justice, particularly a supreme court should be a rarified environment.. free from contamination.. so that truth can emerge freely..
these are like hives of gossip.. it has to infect the environment..

I hear ya, but its the freedom of the press. Many innocent ppl have been sent to prison or jail because the they were found guilty through the media spin. This case, I have no doubts. It will be a wild ride but justice will be served for Jason's children and family

Young, pretty girl who kills her lover, claims self defence. I see a similarity.

However, regardless of my own view on similarities, I believe what BeTrue is pointing out is the difference in appearance of MM since the trial began. Much more demure, less make up, dressing down as compared to her earlier Court appearances. All things that Jodi Arias did during her trial to appear more innocent looking.

All IMO
Thanks, spot on.

I would think the prosecution want her dismissed due to concerns about juror misconduct. She was picked yesterday and, in the space of one evening, had a discussion with a friend in which she disclosed she had been picked for the jury (as I cannot see any other reason how her friend would know this unless s/he too was in Court) and her friend, whom it appears had some knowledge of the case, told her to recuse herself.

If that conversation had occured after she had been sworn in as a juror that could be grounds for a mistrial.

All IMO

The juror described the information as "delicate" and talked to the judge and lawyers on both sides in chambers. #JasonCorbett

In court, the juror said she would do her best to set aside what her friend said and make her decision based on the evidence. #JasonCorbett

It is certainly disconcerting. At least the juror was honest enough to make the judge aware of what had happened.

The juror described the information as "delicate" and talked to the judge and lawyers on both sides in chambers. #JasonCorbett

In court, the juror said she would do her best to set aside what her friend said and make her decision based on the evidence. #JasonCorbett

It is certainly disconcerting. At least the juror was honest enough to make the judge aware of what had happened.

[video=twitter;888111148431589378]https://twitter.com/kittyf21/status/888111148431589378[/video]

Seems she has been dismissed.

All IMO
How would you expect her to dress? <modsnip>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members