GUILTY NC - Jason Corbett, 39, murdered in his Wallburg home, 2 Aug 2015 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In civil suit, there are two or three requests for damages, one being "punitive" where the jury gets to decide how much the Estate of Jason Corbett should be awarded. For instance, in OJ Simpson case, in that civil suit, the Goldman family was awarded $25 million by the jury. Given the brutality of this crime, the terrible loss and abuse suffered by the children, a jury could award them more than the Martens even have.

They've also included Sharon Martens, so looking for some sense of justice for her part in this, it is simply not believable that she never left the basement bedroom with all that was going on one flight up in that house. Also, it's another avenue to obtain evidence and information, there's nothing to say that Sharon can't be charged based on information that may come out of this lawsuit.

http://www.journalnow.com/opinion/c...al&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

One big factor will be Martens’ testimony, should he choose to take the witness stand. I’m betting he will. But, should he do so, it will be a crap shoot for him and his daughter. The retired agent will have to perform coolly under what will surely be a withering cross examination from the prosecution. And in a heavily Republican county with lots of support for President Trump, who’s no fan of the FBI, one has to wonder if some jurors will have general doubts about the agency and those who’ve worked for
The Journal’s Michael Hewlett reported that Martens told investigators that he hit Corbett on the head with a baseball bat because he was choking Molly and threatening to kill her.Martens called 911, telling a dispatcher, “I may have killed him.”

In retrospect, it was a gross understatement.
Martens is there to tell his side of the story. So is his daughter, although it’s doubtful she’ll choose to take the stand. She lacks the stable, professional background of her father. Either way, their high-powered legal team, led by Walter Holton of Winston-Salem for her and David Freedman of Winston-Salem for him, will get their clients’ stories across.The state’s team will, as in all murder cases, have to give voice to the voiceless victim. The state’s own high-powered legal team, led by Davidson County Assistant District Attorney Greg Brown, will likely rely in large part on photos of the victim from the crime scene, the autopsy report and forensic evidence from that scene. The state may argue that Martens and his daughter could have chosen to end the fight they’d already won before landing the fatal blows.

This trial, which begins in earnest with opening statements this week and could take as long as three weeks, will be decided by a bedrock Davidson County jury, in large part by the forensic evidence, or by the testimony of a retired FBI agent, or by some combination of that and other evidence. Those factors will likely play a big role. And so will ones as old as the world, of fathers and children and what they’ll do, or be allowed to do, to save their children.

Thomas Martens is a father. And so was Jason Corbett.

Is it only me that sees the huge bruise that appears to cover Molly's left hand in this photo? http://evoke.ie/news/irish-news/jason-corbetts-family-launch-new-legal-action-against-molly-martens
I believe it was someone here that identified that photo as being taken the Friday afterwards? (I looked but couldn't find it) so 4 days. In other photos in which she is wearing the same dress (and sunglasses), she is covering her left hand, and seems to me she is supporting it as though injured. I also think I see a small bruise on her arm where the edge of the brick could have pinched her skin. IMO

Don't see bruises myself but a great shot of her neck thanks !!! And if as you say it was only 4 days after and the whole defence case is self defence from a HUGE, BIG, OVERWEIGHT, Man strangling her, where are the marks, if as you suggest the slip of a brick caused a bruise which it may have then I'm wondering why didn't the nearly 300llbs of weight behind the hands that allegedly strangled her.?????

https://www.google.ie/search?q=moll...UICigC&biw=800&bih=1280#imgrc=gpMIDz5e2zxu_M:
63901a8ec03bf7c248566f48be20cfbb.jpg

Sent from my SM-T561 using Tapatalk

I don't see a bruise . I thought Molly doesn't bruise certainly not a life threatening bruise .

An interesting way for the jury to look at this might be...what evidence exists that the Martens wanted Jason to be alive after this "donnybrook?" I mean, taking their story as "fact"...everyone would agree that TM had a right to stop JC. So when have had stopped him, did they stop beating him?.does the evidence show that? Does the autopsy show that? Is there e Odense that they wanted him to survive.

Also, when did they start resuscitation? Mary gave swimmmg lessonsvto children. If she pulling an unconscious child from the pool, would she have to be told to start resuscitation?

Where is the evidence that they wanted Jason to survive?

Is it only me that sees the huge bruise that appears to cover Molly's left hand in this photo? http://evoke.ie/news/irish-news/jason-corbetts-family-launch-new-legal-action-against-molly-martens
I believe it was someone here that identified that photo as being taken the Friday afterwards? (I looked but couldn't find it) so 4 days. In other photos in which she is wearing the same dress (and sunglasses), she is covering her left hand, and seems to me she is supporting it as though injured. I also think I see a small bruise on her arm where the edge of the brick could have pinched her skin. IMO

I would say it's only you Sarah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think MM is explaining that by saying the paving stone was already in the room as it was a school project from one of the kids? We discussed it on earlier threads . I'll try to find link.

It was summer. The kids were not in school.

The Defense attorneys may be feeding info, or some dismissed juror, to the press. One of the brothers, Bobby has a DUI and Child ABuse charges due to having children in car with him while DUI, but another brother has been living out of country for some time so he would only know what he was told. Questionable what the brothers can add for the defense. Sharon can't be made to testify against her or about her husband, but she can be subpoenaed to testify to what she witnessed that night regards Molly so hopefully she's on the witness list. One never knows what information comes out of a civil suit that might later lead to charges against Sharon, as there should be, it's not reasonable or logical to think Sharon remained in the basement all that time.

I've always believed that Tom Martens is covering for Molly Martens crime, because that's what the Martens have always done, perhaps at Sharon's insistence. He's also trying to save himself, but by now is probably trying to take all the blame, to save Molly. But it has never made sense that Sharon remained in the basement entire time, no mother would ever do that while her daughter is supposedly in physical confrontation with 'abusive' husband, and then when Tom didn't return to the basement it just doesn't make sense she didn't go to find out what was happening, and not only that, didn't call for help when her husband didn't return to basement. Especially since they had to rush up there that day after call from Molly. Be interesting to find out if Sharon's fingerprints are completely missing from the scene, wiped down.

The Defense attorneys may be feeding info, or some dismissed juror, to the press. One of the brothers, Bobby has a DUI and Child ABuse charges due to having children in car with him while DUI, but another brother has been living out of country for some time so he would only know what he was told. Questionable what the brothers can add for the defense. Sharon can't be made to testify against her or about her husband, but she can be subpoenaed to testify to what she witnessed that night regards Molly so hopefully she's on the witness list. One never knows what information comes out of a civil suit that might later lead to charges against Sharon, as there should be, it's not reasonable or logical to think Sharon remained in the basement all that time.

The brothers could add lots to the defense case, they could testify that they saw Molly being a great Mom, they could testify as to their Dad's character, they could even testify to having witnessed some of the 'abuse' that the Martens claim has been on-going for years. We just don't know what they will be able to bring to the table, but in terms of credibility certainly two of the three seem to have clean records, and be of reputable character. Perhaps this is why only two of the three are being called? The brother you refer to only moved out of the country since this incident has occurred so once again, we don't know as to what he will be able to testify.

I'm not sure we are allowed to bring the other brother into this as he is not directly involved in the proceedings (mods?) but he was charged with child abuse for failing to secure a minor in the car while driving. This could be a cultural thing as there is currently a video on SM facebook (I presume this is now fair game seeing as she is now a part of the civil suit? Again mods if you could clarify that would be great) of the same little girl being driven while not secured. Some places are more lax regarding how secure children need to be and until what ages. The same with moderate drink driving, (again this may link back to the custody testimony where Tracey stated that Molly drove the children after having a drink, in Ireland this would be extremely uncommon) if it is more commonplace in this part of the States, then potential jurors would not necessarily see this as a huge deal. Perhaps any locals on the forum could give us an idea on this?

*It has been determined through extensive research that under ordinary circumstances the stomach empties its contents four to 6 hours after a meal. If the stomach, at autopsy, is found to be filled with food, and digestion of the contents not extensive, it is reasonable to assume that death followed shortly after the meal.

http://www.practicalhomicide.com/Research/LOmar2007.htm

Jason's stomach contents:

"The stomach contains approximately
500 ml of thick, tan chyme with masticated fragments of green vegetable matter."

Masticated food is "chewed food" not fully digested, not left the stomach, not broken down, instead,

Chewed swallowed food so would it not be fair to say extensive digestion had not occured. ???

http://www.journalnow.com/jason-cor...pdf_f8089527-06f7-5d24-a2ed-e651f4d8e6fd.html

My opinions not facts.

Sent from my SM-T561 using Tapatalk

I believe the Corbett family and friends have always strongly believed that Sharon Martens is part and parcel to the murder of Jason Corbett, and that Tom and Molly are covering for her to keep her from being indicted and tried. And also that she along with Molly coached the kids before they met with social worker. This civil suit is one way of gaining some sense of justice against Sharon, but also a great means to try and obtain evidence that may cause Sharon to finally be criminally charged. The Estate of Corbett has to file before August 2017, so this lawsuit won't be heard till long after criminal case concluded.

Sadly I believe poor Jason Corbett must have lain there on floor for some time while the Martens got their stories straight and rehearsed even. In all my life I've never heard of anyone call a fight a "donnybrook" except in that old movie The Quiet Man -
it's clearly part of a fictionalized story concocted by someone with little to no knowledge of the Irish. And after the deputies arrived, didn't Sharon had care of Jack and Sarah, so probably stayed in the house while Tom and Molly were brought in for their statements? Both give Sharon opportunity to dispose of any weapons, clothes, shoes, towels, etc.

I just realized that at first he said his son-in-law got in a fight with his daughter and he intervened, not that he found son-in-law choking or strangling Molly and he stopped him. He doesn't say he was choking Molly till the operator asks what he hit him with. It also didn't sound as if he even tried to roll him over at first, no sounds of exertion, he didn't even put the phone down to try to roll him over till 911 operator told him to. And while he was supposed to be trying to save him, his voice didn't change, he still didn't sound like a man who had been physically trying to save someone's life, not out of breath, or even breathing heavy, very calm cool and collected. I'd say he had had time to calm down after the murder and before the 911 call.

Yes, which was totally ridiculous explanation, nobody has ever heard of school project involving paving stone and the kids had also not been back in school, but still out for summer holidays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member