GUILTY NC - Jason Corbett, 39, murdered in his Wallburg home, 2 Aug 2015 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
PROSECUTOR Greg Brown was not amused. ‘Do you think this is funny?’ he asked Tom Martens, who was on the stand, recovering from an unapologetic chuckle. He had just been asked if stains on the boxers he had been wearing when he killed Jason Corbett had occurred prior to the attack. ‘I hope not,’ he said, looking mischievously at his lawyer David Freedman. It was the latest lob in a verbal volley that had started some three hours before......
In relation to his wife, Sharon Martens, who was in a downstairs bedroom while the alleged battle between himself and Jason Corbett was occurring upstairs, he said that she did not ‘come running up’ to see what was going on. This was despite the loud noises created.... when Mr Corbett himself fell to the ground due to blows....
During cross-examination by Greg Brown, prosecuting, Mr Martens said that despite his CPR training he did not try to resuscitate Jason until an emergency operator told him to.......
A court also heard that Mr Martens ‘can’t remember’ if he washed his face and hands after killing Jason Corbett......
Mr Martens was asked if he ever saw his daughter ‘state her mind’ to her husband. It was put to him that she had a ‘strong, outgoing personality’.
He replied: ‘Maybe I’m used to it.’
It was only when Mr Brown set to work that the real Tom Martens began to emerge. He responded with ease. More than once, his tone was condescending. His stock of answers soon became repetitive – ‘I don’t know’, ‘I don’t recall,’ ‘I don’t remember,’ ‘If that’s what the record says.’ Mr Brown didn’t seem to like his tone. ‘Thanks for correcting me,’ he said at one point. The prosecutor asked Mr Martens if he liked to take control, if, after telling detectives that he ‘enjoyed outwitting’ spies, he had tried to outwit them.
~ Catherine Fegan Irish Daily Mail
Online App Irish Mail Plus

https://www.facebook.com/BringJacka...3120975021985/492884241045655/?type=3&theater

from the JFJ page. Obviously taken from the report by Catherine Fegan of the Irish Daily Mail report. Seems like TM at times let his real persona show. None of this reported by American reporters. I'm at the point where I think we may wait to get a true reflection of what goes on in court. A couple of tweets from a 3 hour witness is not getting across the correct feedback. It's not over yet! IMO
I just reposted that as I hadn't seen your comment.

Can you believe the audacity of him? Laughing on the stand about blood spatter.

True colours, that's all I will say.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

The 66-year-old gave dramatic testimony as he took the stand yesterday where he was accused of using his FBI training and legal qualifications to try and ‘outwit’ detectives investigating the murder of his son-in-law.....It was later heard that Mr Martens had ‘no knowledge’ of a brick found in the master bedroom where father-of-two Jason Corbett was killed, of it being used as a weapon and that he didn’t see his daughter using any brick on the night Mr Corbett died......
The trial also heard that Jason’s wife Molly is the sole beneficiary of a $600,000 insurance policy in her name....
The father of four from Knoxville, Tennessee, told the court in North Carolina that he had never witnessed Mr Corbett being physically violent toward his daughter before that night.....
In relation to ‘baton training’ he had received, he was asked to identify which parts of the body should be struck to ‘bring a man down’.
He said the ankle, the knees or the kidneys. The prosecution contended that a baseball bat is similar to a baton and should have been used in that way.....
Greg Brown, for the prosecution, told the court that during an interview conducted by two detectives investigating Mr Corbett’s death, Mr Martens ‘interrupted questioning and took charge’.
He had already told the two men that he had a long career in the FBI and that he ‘really enjoyed outwitting’ other spy agencies. In an earlier role, he liked ‘kicking in doors and arresting people’, the trial heard. Mr Brown said that at one point during interview, the defendant said: ‘Perhaps it would be helpful if I just launched into a story that would account for my state of mind.’.....
Mr Martens said Jason had told him he intended to make Molly the ‘adoptive mother’ of his children, Jack and Sarah. But this never happened, he said, and it was a source of strain. He said he was aware of the fact his daughter was the beneficiary of Mr Corbett’s insurance policy, worth $600,000......
~ Catherine Fegan - Full story on Irish Daily Mail newspaper or online App Irish Mail Plus

https://www.facebook.com/TheIrishMail/posts/1941723026085239

Statements made by Jason Corbetts children were not admissible as evidence Judge David lee ruled
There were allegations the children were coach prior to the interviews taking place
At one interview at the Dragonfly house Jack was asked why he was there .He replied saying his dad had died. He added my aunt and Uncle from my dads side came to try and take me away. That's why I'm here my mom wants custody.
He was asked if he knew of his mother was afraid of his father, he said he knew this because his mom told him
Both children had been told their father died by their mother . In Sc case her step grandmother also told her

Judge lee concluded that the statements did not meet the trustworthiness requirements and also noted both children had recanted their statements. He ruled that their statements were admissible for any purpose

Im sorry but this is a horrible way to treat children she totally manipulated them .

[video=twitter;893787010330243073]https://twitter.com/bobcostner/status/893787010330243073[/video]

Can I take photos of Irish daily mail aticle and post it here? Can someone tell me how to if allowed. Many interesting details like:

MMmade multiple phone calls to her parents phone as they travelled to them...father can't remember what the conversation was!

More from the daily mail

Mr Martens said he suffered scrapes to his knees when Jason Corbett pushed himto the ground .He was asked if the injuries were visible in the photographs taken at the Sheriffs office hours after the killing. I couldn't see he said
It also emerged that Molly made multiple calls during the 4 hour journey they made to the home
Mr Martens was asked if he ever saw his daughter state her mind to her husband. It was put to him that his daughter had a strong outgoing personality . He replied maybe I'm used to it .
Mr Brown asked if Tm remembered his daughter calling multiple times on the journey . I don't recall said the witness. Was she calling because she was upset? I don't remember replied Mr Martens
Court also heard Mr Martens can't remember if he washed his face and hands after the killing
It was only when Mr Brown set to work that the real Tom Martens began to emerge he responded with ease . More than once his tone was condescending . His stock of answers soon became repetitive - I don't know , I don't recall, I don't remember , If thats what the record says. Mr Brown didn't seem to like his tone. Thanks for correcting me he said at one point . The prosecutor asked Martens if he liked to take control, if after telling detectives that he enjoyed outwitting spies he had tried to outwit them. No he replied . I was trying to tell the truth .
Later mr Brown pressed him on what he saw when he opened the door to the bedroom Jason had your daughter by the throat thats your story correct . He asked Martens reply was swift . Are you asking me he snapped .Turning to the clothes Mr Martens wore on the night of the killing he was asked if Jason tore his clothing in the struggle. I haven't had a chance to inspect my clothing Mr Martens replied semmily please with himself . Mr Brown wasn't letting it go Quickly he produced the clothing . Have a look he asked the witness .Tom Martens wasn't ruffled . They look essentially intact to me he said in a cheery tone. The shirt he was wearing was next It H=hasn't been torn has it? asked Mr Brown Tom Martens hesitated well he said it has but I don't know what caused it . As the boxers and shirt were taken away Mr Brown asked him if the small tear was next to a marker placed there by a forensic expert who tested the satins. Did you not hear testimony about the makers . Again silence . I guess I will have to look again he said to Mr Brown As Mr Brown set off to pull out the items again Mr Martens eye-balled him. Did you not hear the witness testify about the markers ? asked Mr brown I heard said Mr Martens . But I'm not an expert . Ill leave that to them .

Can I take photos of Irish daily mail aticle and post it here? Can someone tell me how to if allowed. Many interesting details like:

MMmade multiple phone calls to her parents phone as they travelled to them...father can't remember what the conversation was!

We are not allowed anymore

From Irish Daily Mail 5th August 2017 - Title: We all stayed silent during deadly fight - What MM's Dad told jury.

It also emerged that MM had made 'multiple calls' to her parents during the four hour journey they made from their home to theirs in the hours before JC killing. Mr Brown asked the witness if he remembered his daughter 'calling multiple times' during the journey he and his wife took to North Carolina on August 1st. "I don't recall" said the witness. "Was she calling because she was upset?"asked Mr Brown. "I don't remember" replied TM

So phone records have come in handy, wonder if any other phone records will be cited during rebuttal. Wonder who made the first call in the morning, was it TM phoning MM or visa-versa.

From Irish Daily Mail 5th August 2017 - Title: We all stayed silent during deadly fight - What MM's Dad told jury.

So phone records have come in handy, wonder if any other phone records will be cited during rebuttal. Wonder who made the first call in the morning, was it TM phoning MM or visa-versa.
Has it been presented who called TM and SM and asked them to visit? Or is TM still claiming it was his idea?

The Martens were invited to a dinner party but they cancel on their hostess at the last moment. I wonder what excuse they gave? That's a very rude thing to do....unless you have a really good reason.

Then MM is repeatedly calling them as they drive down, but not acting agitated in front of the neighbors. This is all sounding very planned to me. Even the fact that SM never came upstairs now has a different interpretation to me.

Very good point made on the thread earlier...why take a bat to settle an argument between your daughter and her husband? He went up there to do battle and SC never tried to stop him or call 911.

IRISH DAILY MAIL (digital subscription)
VERBAL VOLLEY OF CASE PROSECUTOR

https://www.facebook.com/TheIrishMail/

After a controlled and tear-filled testimony about the night he had desperately tried to save his daughter, Tom Martens was turned over to the prosecution for the skilled dissection he probably knew was coming. He was after all, a trained attorney, he proudly told the court. Moreover, he had been called to the bar in Georgia.

His performance in Courtroom C, had started with ease. As the first witness for the defence, he’d told the courtroom that he was 67 years old. He’d joined the FBI after graduating law school. His career involved protecting the national interests, in particular thwarting the efforts of non-friendly states. ‘It’s basically spy virus spy,’ he said nonchalantly.

I must have missed the fact that TM is or was also an attorney. That explains a lot.

Has it been presented who called TM and SM and asked them to visit? Or is TM still claiming it was his idea?

Nothing I have read so far has given any indication as to who made the initial call in the morning or even calls from the previous days. TM is sticking with his story that it was his bright idea to visit them when he woke up on the morning of the 1st of August.

However, he acknowledged Mr Corbett provided all the funds for their €350,000 Panther Creek home and the Irish businessman had also paid him €45,000 towards their 2011 wedding costs.

"We were superficially friendly - I am sure he knew I had some feelings about him," Mr Martens said.
He also declined to go on a joint family holiday to Washington because Mr Corbett was there. However, he said he could not recall telling work colleague Jonathan Underwood: "If I was going on vacation, why would I want to go on vacation with that *******."

http://www.independent.ie/irish-new...yout-after-husband-jasons-death-36002391.html

But yet he cancelled plans to drive four hours to play golf with that "blank."

Good morning...

reminder.jpeg

COPYRIGHT RULE

Quotes from published sources, e.g., news articles,
should be limited to no more than 10% of the original material, with a source link included. Images also must be accompanied by a link to the original source.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?65798-Etiquette-amp-Information

There are several posts with quotes and no link. Please go back and add the links. If your editing period has expired you can send the links to me via private message.

It sounds to me like the prosecutor did a magnificent job on cross.

I'm waiting to read what the local papers decide to tell us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sleuth-nado