GUILTY NC - Jason Corbett, 39, murdered in his Wallburg home, 2 Aug 2015 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.the-dispatch.com/news/20170804/martens-jason-corbett-said-im-going-to-kill-her

"...He also said that he was instructed in "use of force" training.

Martens later said he had training with a baton, which he agreed could be used similarly to an aluminum bat. ..."

JMO but I think his LE/FBI background is going to backfire on him. What he describes as a donnybrook with this need for deadly force sounds a lot more like what a civilian father with no training might do, flailing about with a bat. I have never heard that any LE are trained to swing at the head - I believe that they are trained to swing the baton at the knee mostly to put the attacker down and then handcuff them. TM wants us to believe he cannot take a big man down? Please, LE does it all the time and they are taught many holds like twisting the wrist. If JC had MM in neck hold, the head is not a reasonable strike, but the knee or anywhere on the leg would be reasonable. It also strains credulity that he thought to take the bat with him based on sounds but did not feel alarmed enough to already dial 911 or have SM call. The complete failure to explain the bloody stone is a big problem and the jury handled it themselves wrapped in plastic and still stained with JC blood - I don't know what the defense plans to do about that without MM explaining her version.

Your post captured many of the same thoughts I have. However, I wouldn't have been able to write it out as well as you did - thanks!!!

A couple of problems with TM testimony here. TM says he is going 'upstairs to calm them down'. If this is true it means (a) SM was awake and (b) TM knew it was not a burglary - so why bring a bat upstairs to 'calm them down'?

BBM - I didn't put the burglary/bat comment together. EXCELLENT POINTS!

Stephan usually posts the daily mail, I've just read the paper edition and as it reads TM testimony imo yesterday was his downfall. Not being in the court myself the article reads for a very controlled, controlling, superior TM even at one stage "chuckling" at a question put to him by prosecution,

If I had no opinion of him before I do now and it goes along way to understanding why mm is the person she is. imo

If you can get the paper today do, it's a good article.

Sent from my SM-T561 using Tapatalk

Stephan usually posts the daily mail, I've just read the paper edition and as it reads TM testimony imo yesterday was his downfall. Not being in the court myself the article reads for a very controlled, controlling, superior TM even at one stage "chuckling" at a question put to him by prosecution,

If I had no opinion of him before I do now and it goes along way to understanding why mm is the person she is. imo

If you can get the paper today do, it's a good article.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Can any poster experienced in US jury trials explain if TM's testimony is enough to raise a doubt in the jury, even just one juror. Isn't that all that is needed, one juror to believe it was self defence?

Can any poster experienced in US jury trials explain if TM's testimony is enough to raise a doubt in the jury, even just one juror. Isn't that all that is needed, one juror to believe it was self defence?
Yes just one unfortunately.

Remember the size of that room...it's not big. And it had furniture in it. TM's description of this fight sounds like it took place in a gym. In the old real estate picture, not many options of where to place the bed. It must have been in the center.

Http://www.realtor.com/realestatean...Ct_Winston-Salem_NC_27107_M66309-62656#photo8

So how was TM thrown across the room? Didn't he hit furniture? Wouldn't that have caused him bruising, scrapes, something?

I'm trying to picture...the choreography.. of this "donnybrook" between three people in THAT bedroom. Not working for me. Not with two unbruised, uninjured.

Exactly Mary, remember the paramedics had to move Jason from the room as the space was 'too tight' to treat him. Not a mark from the sharp push...no carpet burn...the glasses survived intact...no scratches or bumps from the furniture...obviously the lack of bruising is inherited from her Dad.

Yes just one unfortunately.

Looks to me as is TM is taking all the blame. Never said anything to suggest MM hit JC. So the jury could convict him and free her.

Does an an elderly man get sent to normal prison? Would he get less time?

Will insurance pay out to MM, I guess so if she's innocent.

Looks to me as is TM is taking all the blame. Never said anything to suggest MM hit JC. So the jury could convict him and free her.

[video=twitter;893548709727830016]https://twitter.com/bobcostner/status/893548709727830016[/video]

TM said that MM told him she hit JC with the paver according to Bob Costner's tweet.

Sent from my Hol-U19 using Tapatalk

PROSECUTOR Greg Brown was not amused. ‘Do you think this is funny?’ he asked Tom Martens, who was on the stand, recovering from an unapologetic chuckle. He had just been asked if stains on the boxers he had been wearing when he killed Jason Corbett had occurred prior to the attack. ‘I hope not,’ he said, looking mischievously at his lawyer David Freedman. It was the latest lob in a verbal volley that had started some three hours before......
In relation to his wife, Sharon Martens, who was in a downstairs bedroom while the alleged battle between himself and Jason Corbett was occurring upstairs, he said that she did not ‘come running up’ to see what was going on. This was despite the loud noises created.... when Mr Corbett himself fell to the ground due to blows....
During cross-examination by Greg Brown, prosecuting, Mr Martens said that despite his CPR training he did not try to resuscitate Jason until an emergency operator told him to.......
A court also heard that Mr Martens ‘can’t remember’ if he washed his face and hands after killing Jason Corbett......
Mr Martens was asked if he ever saw his daughter ‘state her mind’ to her husband. It was put to him that she had a ‘strong, outgoing personality’.
He replied: ‘Maybe I’m used to it.’
It was only when Mr Brown set to work that the real Tom Martens began to emerge. He responded with ease. More than once, his tone was condescending. His stock of answers soon became repetitive – ‘I don’t know’, ‘I don’t recall,’ ‘I don’t remember,’ ‘If that’s what the record says.’ Mr Brown didn’t seem to like his tone. ‘Thanks for correcting me,’ he said at one point. The prosecutor asked Mr Martens if he liked to take control, if, after telling detectives that he ‘enjoyed outwitting’ spies, he had tried to outwit them.
~ Catherine Fegan Irish Daily Mail
Online App Irish Mail Plus

https://www.facebook.com/BringJacka...3120975021985/492884241045655/?type=3&theater

from the JFJ page. Obviously taken from the report by Catherine Fegan of the Irish Daily Mail report. Seems like TM at times let his real persona show. None of this reported by American reporters. I'm at the point where I think we may wait to get a true reflection of what goes on in court. A couple of tweets from a 3 hour witness is not getting across the correct feedback. It's not over yet! IMO

PROSECUTOR Greg Brown was not amused. ‘Do you think this is funny?’ he asked Tom Martens, who was on the stand, recovering from an unapologetic chuckle. He had just been asked if stains on the boxers he had been wearing when he killed Jason Corbett had occurred prior to the attack. ‘I hope not,’ he said, looking mischievously at his lawyer David Freedman. It was the latest lob in a verbal volley that had started some three hours before......
In relation to his wife, Sharon Martens, who was in a downstairs bedroom while the alleged battle between himself and Jason Corbett was occurring upstairs, he said that she did not ‘come running up’ to see what was going on. This was despite the loud noises created.... when Mr Corbett himself fell to the ground due to blows....
During cross-examination by Greg Brown, prosecuting, Mr Martens said that despite his CPR training he did not try to resuscitate Jason until an emergency operator told him to.......
A court also heard that Mr Martens ‘can’t remember’ if he washed his face and hands after killing Jason Corbett......
Mr Martens was asked if he ever saw his daughter ‘state her mind’ to her husband. It was put to him that she had a ‘strong, outgoing personality’.
It was only when Mr Brown set to work that the real Tom Martens began to emerge. He responded with ease. More than once, his tone was condescending. His stock of answers soon became repetitive – ‘I don’t know’, ‘I don’t recall,’ ‘I don’t remember,’ ‘If that’s what the record says.’ Mr Brown didn’t seem to like his tone. ‘Thanks for correcting me,’ he said at one point. The prosecutor asked Mr Martens if he liked to take control, if, after telling detectives that he ‘enjoyed outwitting’ spies, he had tried to outwit them.

https://www.facebook.com/BringJacka...3120975021985/492884241045655/?type=3&theater

from the JFJ page. Obviously taken from the report by Catherine Fegan of the Irish Daily Mail report. Seems like TM at times let his real persona show. None of this reported by American reporters. I'm at the point where I think we may wait to get a true reflection of what goes on in court. A couple of tweets from a 3 hour witness is not getting across the correct feedback. It's not over yet! IMO
Wow! Very different picture to yesterday's reporting I think.

To me it looks like he's trying to confuse jurors enough to cast doubt. I don't think he is trying to save her because he has admitted she told him she had used the brick afterwards, afterwards? After what I don't know, but then he adds that he didn't see her use it. He is creating a riddle imo and his self sense of superiority maybe makes him doubt juror intelligence just as he did of Mr F.

She is the sole beneficiary of the pay out unfortunately and if aqquited that's hers.

One thing that stands out to me is not one witness yet has supported the "history of DV" not even her father.

Jmo

Exactly Mary, remember the paramedics had to move Jason from the room as the space was 'too tight' to treat him. Not a mark from the sharp push...no carpet burn...the glasses survived intact...no scratches or bumps from the furniture...obviously the lack of bruising is inherited from her Dad.
TM mentions on the stand about having scratches to his knees but on presenting the photographic evidence from the night it's noted there are none visible in the pics

Jmo

To me it looks like he's trying to confuse jurors enough to cast doubt. I don't think he is trying to save her because he has admitted she told him she had used the brick afterwards, afterwards? After what I don't know, but then he adds that he didn't see her use it. He is creating a riddle imo and his self sense of superiority maybe makes him doubt juror intelligence just as he did of Mr F.

She is the sole beneficiary of the pay out unfortunately and if aqquited that's hers.

One thing that stands out to me is not one witness yet has supported the "history of DV" not even her father.

Jmo

And he has had two years to prepare to get a jury to have a doubt. Being FBI he'll be expert on what to do. Plus having an excellent legal team to prepare him.

Can't see this Tríona link not working for me. Can you give the gist or is that not allowed?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Interested Spectator it is a link to the script I posted previously

Thanks for that

And he has had two years to prepare to get a jury to have a doubt. Being FBI he'll be expert on what to do. Plus having an excellent legal team to prepare him.
Well he's doing a bad job. He royally landed her in it with the paver comment imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members