NC NC - Johnnie Rankins, 48, Grover Cecil, 47, Joyce Reason, 36, Be-Lo murders, Windsor, 6 June 1993

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
As i was listening to the trace evidence podcast on this someone had mentioned seeing the killer exit the store and get into a small white compact car with what they believed was Maryland plates while i doubt its him unless he changed his looked they may also want to look at Dennis Watson a guy who was a car thief ring leader in Maryland and more then likely killed School Teacher Oliver Munson in 1984. Oliver Munson | Unsolved Mysteries Wiki | Fandom

But i think if this were the case unless Watson has stayed out of trouble that DNA would’ve gotten a hit on Codis about him being the killer.

In what has been dubbed the Be-Lo Murders, it’s a cold case in Bertie County that the Windsor Police Department is still accepting any information about that can lead to who the murderer was.

Jasper Hardy Jr., of Edenton, who wasn’t hurt, told the suspect that he couldn’t identify him. Wallace Perry, the Bertie County Sheriff at the time, told The Associated Press the gunman replied: ″ ‘I’m going to let you live, big man.’ ″

The victims who survived provided a description of the event and the person responsible to law enforcement. They said an armed male who was already in the store on June 6, 1993, around 6:15 pm, rounded up six victims, bound them with duct tape and proceeded to stack them in three piles. He shot into all three piles with a .45 caliber pistol, killing three people. A fourth person was shot, and a fifth was stabbed. The sixth was not hurt.

After the shootings, officials said the suspect placed the six people back on the floor face-down in a puddle of blood, Perry said.

″He was lucky,″ said Perry about the victim who was not hurt. ″He felt the trauma when the man on top of him was shot.″

I only see robbery mentioned in one post related to this crime. Was there money stolen? How much. I find it odd that the perpetrator asked one guy if he would "identify" him and when the victim said that he "did not know him", let him live. It almost seems like he knew that some others may have been able to identify him but, this particular guy, he also did not recognize. I would guess that the police have investigated all angles related to the victim that was unharmed. But, I wonder if he was new to the store or only recently employed there?
I wonder also if this guy worked somewhere as a security guard after possibly failing to get accepted as a police officer. At various times in life I have known guys doing security work because they couldn't pass the mental evaluation ( this was in the 1990's and I don't have any idea of the criteria today). Some of these guys were not stable, and yet, were allowed to carry guns for security guard jobs ( I also knew a guy that kept showing up to his unarmed security guard job at a grocery store in Newport News, Va. with a handgun on his waist).

Suspect-sketch-FBI-illustration.jpg

Suspect sketch (FBI illustration)
NEWS

Cold Case files: Tuesday is 30 years since gruesome Windsor Be-Lo murders​

by: Mekaela Muck Jun 6, 2023 rbbm.
hose who were killed were Joyce Coburn Reason, 36, of Windsor; manager Grover Lee Cecil Jr., 47, of Ayden; and cleaning-crew member Johnnie Rankins Jr., 48, of Edenton. Reason and Cecil were shot once in the head and Rankins was shot in the back.

Cleaning-crew workers Thomas E. Hardy, 48, of Edenton and Sylvester Welch Jr., 40, of Hertford, were hospitalized in critical condition. Hardy’s throat was slashed and a butcher knife was broken off in his back. Welch, who was shot in the back, managed to crawl to a store phone and call the police.

The surviving victims described the suspect as a slender and solid-built black male who looked around 30 years old. He had light brown eyes that were slanted and a narrow nose bridge that may have possibly endured a sports injury. He was sporting a military-style haircut.

Police said the motive was robbery, and that about $3,000 was taken.

If you have information about this case, call the Windsor Police Department (252) 794-3111.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back