NC - Kathy Taft, 62, Raleigh, 6 March 2010 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, that's correct. by midnight, she would have been NPO. and the day of the surgery she would probably be in Alotta PAIN, and not interested in eating, or in drinking. She would only be interested in alleviating her discomfort and preventing much swelling from occurring. Again, she may have had too much pain medication and became sedated....a great time for her caregiver to leave and have a few drinks. Caregiver comes back and is irritable at being called again and again and maybe something Kathy said triggered a desperately malicious response.....Sister was drunk, gave her one good wallop...and went to bed. she slept through till midmorning and then went to check on her sister, who was not doing well. She then says, WTF and calls 911.

Sounds reasonable except for what about the car and car keys? How/where does that fit in? Also, sis said she checked on her sometime during the night and heard snoring (I'm translating that into moaning).

I wondered about the cars too.

So, sister may not have arrived until Fri morning just prior to surgery? Or may she was picked up by KT after her meeting and they drove together to the home they were to stay at?

I guess I should look at a google map...lol. That arrangement may be too far out of the way

I don't think KT would have picked her up in either Oriental or Greenville. They are too far away from Roanoke Rapids. Maybe the sis was just looking for an opportunity to get out of town for a while and agreed to meet KT at JG's before the surgery - or maybe she drove to Raleigh on Thursday night.

To answer questions about Thursday....this is the account from an early N&O article.

"On Thursday afternoon, she went to Chapel Hill to visit her son Jonathan Taft, a senior at UNC-Chapel Hill. The two ate at 411 West, the family said, and Kathy Taft returned to Geil's home in Raleigh.

On Friday, Taft and her sister Diana, a resident of Oriental, spent much of the day together. They ate dinner together and then watched "Paper Moon" at Geil's home."

To answer questions about Thursday....this is the account from an early N&O article.

"On Thursday afternoon, she went to Chapel Hill to visit her son Jonathan Taft, a senior at UNC-Chapel Hill. The two ate at 411 West, the family said, and Kathy Taft returned to Geil's home in Raleigh.

On Friday, Taft and her sister Diana, a resident of Oriental, spent much of the day together. They ate dinner together and then watched "Paper Moon" at Geil's home."

BBM

Notice how the sister's name is spelled in this article?

According to the board's agenda they adjourned at 1 pm so it's reasonable that she did go to Chapel Hill afterwards and then to Raleigh.

They spent much of the day together - sounds like the sis arrived on Friday?

Sounds reasonable except for what about the car and car keys? How/where does that fit in? Also, sis said she checked on her sometime during the night and heard snoring (I'm translating that into moaning).

It was said she went downstairs in the night after hearing a 'noise'.
Rather than opening the bedroom door, she placed her ear on the door and said she heard 'snoring':rolleyes:

I stopped by the center behind the house (Glenwood Grill and Harris Teeter).
Someone asked about video cameras....there are none.
The path is 'well worn' behind GG that leads to an easement behind the house. There is a also a wood bridge that crosses to this easement, leading directly to the back of the Geil house.

I drove past the house this afternoon. Of course, the tape was down but a police car was parked there - not right in front of the house but a couple of doors down on the other side of the street. I didn't notice if anyone was in the car or not.

I must say, the house and yard could use some sprucing up, IMO.

ruben....what is the latest on D?
With the DNA and the flyer campaign by the cops last weekend, I am beginning to lean more towards a random attack.

All I can say is the word in G'ville & Kinston is D. Comment of frustration was made by an "inner person" about the repeated questioning of D.

Why did it take 3 weeks, or there about, for LE to start canvassing neighbors for voluntary DNA swabs?

Is it because of a sexual assault or is there something else? I recall reading in one of the posts something about touch DNA.

the car and car keys, that whole business is nothing but a smoke screen. don't get bogged down in the details the sister has thrown in there...it's only for her benefit.

I don't think KT would have picked her up in either Oriental or Greenville. They are too far away from Roanoke Rapids. Maybe the sis was just looking for an opportunity to get out of town for a while and agreed to meet KT at JG's before the surgery - or maybe she drove to Raleigh on Thursday night.

Again, there was very unlikely much of a "dinner" eaten by KT. She was bandaged, sore, swollen and most likely on liquids.

It was said she went downstairs in the night after hearing a 'noise'.
Rather than opening the bedroom door, she placed her ear on the door and said she heard 'snoring':rolleyes:

Isn't this crazy? Can you imagine "taking care of" a loved one, whose head was bandaged, who had just had surgery, and placing your ear to the door instead of going into the room to check? Snoring? She may have heard something while standing at the bedside over her unconscious sister: agonal respirations. Some people used to call it the "death rattle."

By throwing some truth in with their lies, people think their story sounds like a good one. criminals who talk too much end up building the case against themselves.

Maybe there was male DNA in the bedroom that they are trying to eliminate? It does not necessarily mean she was sexually assaulted, just that they are trying to identify the DNA at the crime scene (the bedroom).

Ruben, Just the Fax, do you know whether KT had general anesthesia or local anesthesia with sedation?

What did DH pick up for dinner?

At first, I though a random attack.
Then I hear very odd things about the sister and begin to lean that way.
Now I am back to a random attack.

1- Cops use a checkpoint 2 weeks later near the neighborhood to ask for anything suspicious.
2- The chief said : "We realize the citizens want information, but we have to be mindful of the public safety" (the sister is no harm to anyone else)
3- Evidence of break-in within the same time frame to a house around the corner
4- I heard a strong rumor she was found nude and possibly raped.
5- About the time DNA results would come back, the cops asked close male neighbors for DNA swabs.

No doubt D was/is being scrutinized very carefully, as well she should be.
Yes, there are numerous things that simply don't add up with her story.
But then again, we don't really know her story for sure. All we have right now if hearsay and rumors.

I stopped by the center behind the house (Glenwood Grill and Harris Teeter).
Someone asked about video cameras....there are none.
The path is 'well worn' behind GG that leads to an easement behind the house. There is a also a wood bridge that crosses to this easement, leading directly to the back of the Geil house.

Are you sure about the Harris Teeter? I thought that all the HT's had to have video and surveillance at the entrances and exits for security purposes. They may be difficult to see, to protect them from vandalism.

So, if it was a random attack, someone had to have followed the sister home, or have been watching the house to get inside. They had to have been there solely for an assault, as nothing has been reported stolen, and the sister heard nothing. The random attacker ...hit KT once squarely in the head to immobilize or silence her...and was not seen entering by neighbors, and no dogs caused a ruckus about a stranger. If it was someone KT did not know, would they have delivered the near-fatal blow? Would they have been so careful as to aim for an area covered by ace wrap bandages? I don't know....I'm askin'. Get me some of those sleeping pills that DH uses, I could sure use some undisturbed rest.

If she was sexually attacked, would the offender bother to redress her and tuck her back under the covers so that it was not evident she had been assaulted in that way? Apparently, she wasn't left looking unusual or the sister would have noticed and not just assumed it was complications from the surgery when she made the initial call.

We haven't heard if anything was stolen. Any trophies taken?

Every patient is different, but when I had my facial cosmetic surgery I was prescribed 7.5 mg of Hydrocodone with instructions to take 1-2 tablets every 4-6 hours. I was told to keep them steady in my system, so I took them every 4 hours. I wasn't really in pain so to speak, but my face felt tight from the swelling.

I dosed off and on, but I wouldn't say they made me very sleepy. They certainly did not knock me out. I stayed on the couch to keep elevated and I stirred from my sleep each time my companion walked into the room, changed the tv or the phone rang. I did not have a peaceful rest during the night. I dosed off and on and don't think I slept very sound. You can't really get comfortable because you must keep your head elevated and not lay on your side or face.

I was told to keep ice on my face every 30 minutes for the first 24 hours. So there was a lot of recycling frozen peas in and out of the freezer. My companion did this for me, until just before bedtime around midnight. I started back with ice first thing the next morning around 7:00 a.m. because a lot of swelling ocurred during the night. Again, my companion was the one rotating the frozen peas, bringing me wash cloths, ginger ale, crackers, and reminding me it time for my medication, etc.

There was a lot going on with my care and I cannot fathom the companion not beeing involved. It is really difficult to swallow. Still, we have LE's search for an outside person. It's very odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rebel23