NC - Kathy Taft, 62, Raleigh, 6 March 2010 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
wondering why it took so long for hospital to call 911? if there was so much blood, etc? it must have been 90 minutes or so, wasn't it? from time she would have been seen by ambulance people til hospital made the 2nd call? that seems weird...would lots of blood be expected from a face procedure? doesn't seem so. It seems as though it was apparent to sister that something bad had happened...

The SW indicates they took "2 hairs" so maybe they got DNA from that. p. 15/16

http://dig.abclocal.go.com/wtvd/docs/Taft_Search_Warrants_A_040910.pdf

BBL

ETA
I've updated the Kathy Taft link in my siggy with some of the recent articles. FYI, it takes you out of Websleuths.

Those two hairs come from the house not the rape kit.

Because they took them from the house does not mean that they could not have got DNA from those does it?

wondering why it took so long for hospital to call 911? if there was so much blood, etc? it must have been 90 minutes or so, wasn't it? from time she would have been seen by ambulance people til hospital made the 2nd call? that seems weird...would lots of blood be expected from a face procedure? doesn't seem so. It seems as though it was apparent to sister that something bad had happened...

Didn't they call because they realized she'd been raped? Now I have to go back and read ...

ETA
http://www.ncwanted.com/ncwanted_home/video/7389187/

@0:36 mark

... a nurse was on the line with 911 saying it was likely that Taft had been sexually assaulted ...

(video also mentions call from DH just after 9:30 a.m. on March 6.)

Somethings that are bugging me from the 911 call by the sister....

1) The sister says "she had surgery in her neck and in her um....." and then she changes it back to just her neck. Was this confusion or was she referring to something else?

2) Then she goes on to say, "there is blood everywhere, everywhere, on her face". If your sister had surgery on her neck and you found her with blood everywhere on her face, would that not freak you out? Yet she still seems calm at that point.

3) Then she goes on to say her eyes are black and her eyelids are blue. That to me sounds like someone has blacked her eyes. Again if your sister had neck surgery and then you walk in and find her with black eyes and blood on her face, would your reaction be so calm?

4) "She's on her back and her eyes are watering a little bit." I don't even know this woman and that immediately makes me think she was crying..crying out in pain or for help with her tears. How did the sister stay so calm with that right in front of her?

5) Then the 911 operator asks her if she's breathing normally and the sister sighs and says "i guess best she can with what's she's got going on". That just sounds so non chalant.

The sister may be 100% innocent but these things strike me as odd. Especially b/c this is not some hired nurse, this is her sister.

Yes, # 5 is quite odd. That is really off the chart odd IMO. Plus the part about having to go unlock the door.

Also, when 911 told her to place KT on her back, D sounded shocked, like "ON HER BACK?" KT should not have been in any other position than on her back after the surgery. Her sister would have known that as her caretaker. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

That video says that hospital staff "quickly realized" they might be dealing with something more than 'complications from surgery' ... and yet the second 911 call does not come until after 11:30?

What is "quickly" in a hospital?

Because they took them from the house does not mean that they could not have got DNA from those does it?

Oh no, I wasn't saying that at all. I was just saying if they came from the rape kit then they came off of Kathy's body. For example, when they do a rape kit, they take samples of your own hair and bodily fluids but they also comb through your hair (both head and pubic) for traces of any other person's hairs as well as do scrapings from under your fingernails to see if you have any of the perps dna from perhaps trying to fight your attacker off.

Now what I would like to know is where they found those two hairs? Were they in the bed where Kathy was found? If so, where they up on the pillows or down further in the bed?

That video says that hospital staff "quickly realized" they might be dealing with something more than 'complications from surgery' ... and yet the second 911 call does not come until after 11:30?

Well let's say the sister called 911 around 9:30...they get there and get her loaded up to go to the hospital. Google Maps shows the hospital is 12-19 minutes depending on your routing. In an ambulance, let's just say it took 10 minutes. I wonder how long they were in the house before they left to go to the ER? Then it would take some time to get her in and for the dr's to figure out what was going on....talk to the cops on scene, etc. So 11:30 really doesn't seem that off if you consider what was going on and they thought they had a patient that was dying.

It seems for every one answer I got to my questions, five more questions cropped up.

My theory is still going around in circles.

Yes, # 5 is quite odd. That is really off the chart odd IMO. Plus the part about having to go unlock the door.

Also, when 911 told her to place KT on her back, D sounded shocked, like "ON HER BACK?" KT should not have been in any other position than on her back after the surgery. Her sister would have known that as her caretaker. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

I noticed that. DH seemed hesitant to put her on her back. We don't know...DH may have seen something with KT that caused her to pause and question that directive. Perhaps she was looking at all the blood on KT's head and thinking that if she turned her over it would be much worse...IDK. It is clear, though, that she really didn't want to do that, for whatever reason.

You know, it could be that DH had absolutely no idea how to help KT and, therefore, she just totally gave it all over to the 911 operator. It does make sense that she would listen carefully to the 911 operator and try to do whatever she said. We're all taught from day one not to panic in such situations and to listen to authority, especially when we don't know what else to do.

Well let's say the sister called 911 around 9:30...they get there and get her loaded up to go to the hospital. Google Maps shows the hospital is 12-19 minutes depending on your routing. In an ambulance, let's just say it took 10 minutes. I wonder how long they were in the house before they left to go to the ER? Then it would take some time to get her in and for the dr's to figure out what was going on....talk to the cops on scene, etc. So 11:30 really doesn't seem that off if you consider what was going on and they thought they had a patient that was dying.

IIRC there were no cops on the scene until after the second 911 call ... but my guess is what they meant was "after the initial examination began, they quickly realized it was more than complications from surgery" ...

Did anyone else notice this.......
In the search warrant for the Dodge Durango......Conclusion......it says "it is believed evidence of the crime may exist in this vehicle"

IMO, they had to discuss the fact that she was a member of the state board of education and the best way to present (or not present) it.

maybe they meant that the note in the vehicle was a clue or somehow linked...is there where one of the notes was found?
sorry if i am wrong...TMI today and I am on drugs from dental surgery last night :(

maybe they meant that the note in the vehicle was a clue or somehow linked...is there where one of the notes was found?
sorry if i am wrong...TMI today and I am on drugs from dental surgery last night :(
The search warrant would have been written before any search of the Durango.

Thinking through it more, 11:30 doesn't seem that long to me. Say the EMT's got to the house at 9:45, they got her stabilized and in the ambulance by 10:15, arrive at the hospital at 10:30, examine KT, consult with Dr, interview DH and EMT's, and discuss political implications by 11:30. Not bad? Remember, we're talking about ER at a hospital...

yes you are probably right about timeline, not sure what priority calling police is for emergency room staff...
guess i was wrong about the durango as well, i am mixed up...
(but even with dental surgery I am getting more care at home than KT seemed to have received...) sorry to say...

Did anyone else notice this.......
In the search warrant for the Dodge Durango......Conclusion......it says "it is believed evidence of the crime may exist in this vehicle"

Doesn't it make sense though, to search the vehicle of the only known person at the scene of the attack (other than the victim)?

I think that is the justification for the search warrant. JMO

Maybe the handwritten note that was taken from the Durango was written by DH indicating that she'd be back for the car, and it had not been abandoned?

Reference on p. 9/16 on the search warrant ...

cluciano63, the 2nd 911 call was made by the nurse after she had already called and spoke to RPD. I guess the hospital called the police earlier and the follow-up was a 911 call because she was unsure how to reconnect with them.

Anybody have a date of birth for the sister? I ask b/c I posted this over in the Forensic Astrology section as I would like to get their feedback on the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member