NC - Kathy Taft, 62, Raleigh, 6 March 2010 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you. If you come in Cartier via Oberlin, there are also those 3-4 little places before you get to the Crime Scene. What are those? They look like rentals or something lesser than the neighborhood.

Also if you go back out that way, there are homes or apts on the far side of Oberlin with balconies. I've seen people on those balconies/porches at 3:00 and 4:00 am. Young people.

/

Yes, the houses between Oberlin and JG's house I believe are rentals, including the one which had the break-in. Regarding those on the far side of Oberlin...I'm not sure which you mean.

Geez...so should we just discount everything she says as not credible? I'm starting to think so. No wonder the cops are having such a hard time.:banghead:

I do think the cops had a huge problem with her stories and credibility in the beginning. She was obviously a suspect until the DNA came back 3 weeks later and proved it was an unknown male rapist....imo

IF she was alseep on the sofa downstairs, it makes it harder to explain her leisurely getting up at 9:30 am to check on a patient that was less than 24 hours out of surgery.

/

I don't know of any mention of her locked car during these conversations. I did find it interesting that she included in her conversation that she realized "they had not locked the door" when she went out on the porch.I would never, ever, ever contribute to someone being accused of participating in, or having knowledge of such a horrific crime, but I cannot understand all of the inconsistencies in the information I am hearing and reading. I cannot imagine what it would be like to be falsely accused of a crime, much less the death of my sister. However, as we all look for explanations we tend to dwell on the unanswered questions, which this case seems to be full of, that are fuled by DH's own statements. I can only hope that in her confusion, shock, grief and fear she has portrayed a unrealistic picture of her role in the crime.

They? Do you think she was referring to she and KT or she and someone else?

She sees someone IN the house ... and does not call 911?

She listens in on her sister and goes back to sleep?

Because whatever they were doing, they are gone now?

Getting snarky ... time for a break.

IF she was alseep on the sofa downstairs, it makes it harder to explain her leisurely getting up at 9:30 am to check on a patient that was less than 24 hours out of surgery.

/

Apparently, she went upstairs to bed at 3am.

This is what a close friend said:

"The next day Dina assumed she was sleeping late, due to the surgery and the fact that she was medicated for pain. Didn't get concerned until later that morning, when she went in and found Kathy unconscious and in a pool of blood."

None of this makes sense.

Who thinks they see someone or hears someone and then doesn't even check on someone they are there to watch and care for, in effect?

The house is not that big, why would someone fear 56 yr female so and then be horribly brazen and ferocious with the other female in the house?

The most likely scenario has a TV on in the downstairs while she is on the sofa, yet someone breaks in with the TV flashing tip-toes around them and goes upstairs and turns into a monster?

I think we are trying to make sense out of some false stories.

/

thinking out loud again - KT was attractive, traveled alot and stayed in hotels (SW receipts) and was perhaps sexually active recently before the surgery and murder. Could that be the reason for the DNA search?

Obviously evidence points to sexual assault; however, that is a broad term so two things could come into play - semen could be present in vagina from recent activity however sexual assault of another nature. (sorry for the graphic explanation)

I do think the cops had a huge problem with her stories and credibility in the beginning. She was obviously a suspect until the DNA came back 3 weeks later and proved it was an unknown male rapist....imo

JTF where is the article that states DNA came back and "proves there is an unknown male rapist"? I thought I had read through all the posts and threads but I can't find what you are referring to. Was it a news story?

GG,

KT was in the downstairs BR.
We have no idea if the TV was on before 3am...I doubt it.
If she was passed out on a couch in a dark room, she could have easily gone unnoticed.

JTF where is the article that states DNA came back and "proves there is an unknown male rapist"? I thought I had read through all the posts and threads but I can't find what you are referring to. Was it a news story?

You missed "imo"
The news reports state the cops have what they think is the killer's DNA.
They checked male friends and relatives of KT as well as male neighbors.
1+1=2

thinking out loud again - KT was attractive, traveled alot and stayed in hotels (SW receipts) and was perhaps sexually active recently before the surgery and murder. Could that be the reason for the DNA search?

Obviously evidence points to sexual assault; however, that is a broad term so two things could come into play - semen could be present in vagina from recent activity however sexual assault of another nature. (sorry for the graphic explanation)

Per news reports, the cops checked DNA from KT's close male friends.
She does not strike me as a promiscuous lady.

According to the nurse, the physical findings of the examination indicated rape also.

ETA
I don't think it was only the presence of semen. They would be able to tell how old the semen sample was. If it was less than 24 hours old ... not consensual. IMO

So D wakes up to 'footsteps', supposedly coming down the inside stairs?....She thinks she sees him?....he must immediately flee ...she goes out on the deck...sees nothing.
She closes and locks the door and checks on KT ...hears her snoring.
She then goes upstairs to bed around 3am.

Yes, we all agree this story is bizarre.
If mostly true, no doubt she was wasted.
If she was to make up a story to cover something up, why would she say something so sketchy?

Why would an intruder flee leaving D to possibly identify him while he kills a person who is in the bedroom with the door closed? Wouldn't a burglar want to get the tv? Wouldn't the burglar look near the sofa for the tv to steal? When he first came in wouldn't he deal with the person in the main living area? He wouldn't know where the other person or person(s) were located in the house. Would you go up the stairs before looking in the living area on the first floor first?

What is so bad here is that all these odd stories will be HORRIBLE for the state to contend with when they call D as state's witness against a male defendant killer/rapist. Can you imagine her on cross? If all these bizarre statements haven't gotten the attention of LE and the media, then they are on snooze alarm.

I have just joined Websleuths but have been watching the threads since early on in this case. I live in the Wayland Heights neighborhood. Please allow me to clarify a few things about this neighborhood. The houses are small, mostly built in the 40's when this was considered "the country" outskirts of Raleigh. Now it is "Inside the Beltline," surrounded by more expensive neighborhoods, and though it may be more affordable than those neighborhoods, it is still expensive to buy a house in Wayland Heights. Due to its convenient location, many houses have additions, and some houses have been torn down for much larger houses to be built in their place. Scattered throughout are small rental houses, townhouses, and apartments--actually this is pretty common in Raleigh, even in many other more "elite" ITB Raleigh neighborhoods. There are two new townhouse developments, one of which contains $1 to 2 million homes, and one which contains townhouses just put on the market for around 350k. Homes go for around 300k to 800k. Tear-downs/rebuilds and condo development were starting to increase before the economy dropped, which may help you understand the disparity in prices. The neighborhood is a very friendly, eclectic place, including elderly people who have lived here for decades, young families, singles, etc. We often have neighborhood potlucks and parties, and people are always walking dogs and kids in the neighborhood. Many people walk down Cartier and cut through via stairs to go to the HT or coffee shop.

Cartier: Some residents make an effort to be a part of the neighborhood, and some do not, which is true for the whole neighborhood. Geographically, Cartier is somewhat cut off from the rest of the neighborhood, because there is not a need to cut through that street, and you have to go down a steep hill to get to it. I do not drive down Cartier, but I often walk there (sometimes cutting through to HT via stairs). It is not a busy street at all. There are residents who have lived there for a long time, and there are some homes that change renters often. There are lower-rent apartments across Oberlin, across Glenwood, and a few that can be accessed by the Glenwood Village parking lot.

I hope this gives you a better understanding of the nature of the neighborhood. There have been several undercover cops patrolling today.
So would you say, that this type of crime, committed in this neighborhood on that street seems unlikely as far as being a random attack?
Has any other crime of this nature, been reported over the past several years or so?...........Why that house?, what was the driving force that caused one to pick that house, and do what they done?
There is a posting, of a so called expert whom feels this was committed by a teenager, i don't believe so........Do you think its possible, someone followed D back to that house, or knew she was staying there somehow, and waited until later that night at went back to kill her, is it possible she had met and chatted with a killer that night?..........Perhaps, that is why D seems strange in her conversations, for perhaps she knew she was the probable target/ intended target and not K, but he took k as being D?..........Is that why they were looking at sir valence video from the places behind the home, the short walk to see if her car was parked there that night, and if anyone was seen walking from there in the direction of the home?
The want us to believe, that someone just picked that house at random, went in, head K in the head, then perhaps raped her and simply walked out?
Tell us, from being in the neighborhood what is being discussed.

Yes, the houses between Oberlin and JG's house I believe are rentals, including the one which had the break-in.

The house with the break-in (Andrews) was across the street from JG's place.

That's what was reported.

I am speaking of the apt house or residences on the same side as 2710 Cartier
before you get to 2710 if you come in direct from Oberlin.

Thanks

I'm ready for a Prime Time Special. Maybe they can make heads and tails out of this. LOL

Why would an intruder flee leaving D to possibly identify him while he kills a person who is in the bedroom with the door closed? Wouldn't a burglar want to get the tv? Wouldn't the burglar look near the sofa for the tv to steal? When he first came in wouldn't he deal with the person in the main living area? He wouldn't know where the other person or person(s) were located in the house. Would you go up the stairs before looking in the living area on the first floor first?

What is so bad here is that all these odd stories will be HORRIBLE for the state to contend with when they call D as state's witness against a male defendant killer/rapist. Can you imagine her on cross? If all these bizarre statements haven't gotten the attention of LE and the media, then they are on snooze alarm.

Did the killer see D? Probably not.
Did she see the killer? In retrospect, she 'thinks' she may have heard or seen the killer.

Yea, the whole story is weird.....so is D.
Telling such a sketchy story just proves more to me she had nothing to do with this in any way. If she did, she would have concocted something that was 1/2 way believable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KryYo