GUILTY NC - Kathy Taft, 62, Raleigh, 6 March 2010 - #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I couldn't begin to count the number of times, with three teenage daughters in the house, I heard "Mom, SHE TOOK MY........" whatever clothes, shoes,

And did I hear her say they kept a bottle of bourbon around? I thought her husband was an alcoholic?

As the adult child of an alcoholic, I can tell you the why of these things are very complicated. My dad was generally much nicer when he had a few--a few.

God, this is agonizing. I feel very sorry for this poor woman. She is simply telling the truth of what went on while her son lived with her. I cannot bear it.

Can't stand to listen to the dysfunctional family tales and the life and times of JW and his sibling. I stopped following about 5 min into her testimony. JW had and still has 2 parents who love him. He was not an abused child. This is soy filler testimony. The jury must be out of their minds with boredom. At least I was able to turn it off and escape.

I'm trying to find the gentle soul the defense pressed Def's wife about yesterday. They pressed her to say that she and her mother called him a gentle soul.

I agree with what you are saying. And you are exactly right--he deserves a defense. However, on a personal note, if it were one of my own kids on trial I would not dare let the defense team, with my ok and reassurance, bring down my entire family just to make an excuse for my child. I just wouldn't do it.

I would do anything to keep my child from being put to death. I think that is the only thing making her go through this awful, embarrassing, and humiliating experience.

GL~ thanks for your honesty. My hat is off to you for being a responsible and strong person. I am sorry for what you and some of the others have been through. Adulthood is hard enough without having to deal with trauma leftover from childhood.

No, I doubt that they are bored. This is one time you can be sure they are listening!

"Keith and I gave him so many chances." There, she said it. He wasn't of low IQ, and couldn't understand or speak well.

Any ideas??? I've never had to deal with this -- thank God in Heaven.

I would do anything to keep my child from being put to death. I think that is the only thing making her go through this awful, embarrassing, and humiliating experience.

GL~ thanks for your honesty. My hat is off to you for being a responsible and strong person. I am sorry for what you and some of the others have been through. Adulthood is hard enough without having to deal with trauma leftover from childhood.

Thank you Rigby. I think of my own son. I think of how painful it would be to have a son I could not be proud of, who I would be ashamed of...I thank God for the hand I have been dealt.

So his parents enabled him then and gave him every opportunity, help, and didn't turn him into the police themselves when he started his criminal life early on. JW had no impulse control even in his youth and didn't suffer consequences of his actions growing up.

And that makes the case that he shouldn't get the DP because?

As the adult child of an alcoholic, I can tell you the why of these things are very complicated. My dad was generally much nicer when he had a few--a few.

I guess what came to my mind was, we had some neighbors some years ago, who smoked pot. In and of itself, didn't matter to us one way or the other. But, one of their kids, a son, grew up to be a terrible drug abuser. Pot was only the beginning for him. Went on to coke, heroin, crack, etc. Nearly bankrupt them with rehab, court costs for arrests, and on and on. Yet the parents still kept pot and smoked it themselves. That I could never understand. I'm for legalizing pot, especially for medicinal usage. I've had friends who've used for eye disease. It doesn't bother me, but if I had a kid who for over a decade has had continual problems, felony charges, etc., for drug usage, I don't understand how they can still *use* themselves, when the son knows they do. Just boggles my mind.

I guess what came to my mind was, we had some neighbors some years ago, who smoked pot. In and of itself, didn't matter to us one way or the other. But, one of their kids, a son, grew up to be a terrible drug abuser. Pot was only the beginning for him. Went on to coke, heroin, crack, etc. Nearly bankrupt them with rehab, court costs for arrests, and on and on. Yet the parents still kept pot and smoked it themselves. That I could never understand. I'm for legalizing pot, especially for medicinal usage. I've had friends who've used for eye disease. It doesn't bother me, but if I had a kid who for over a decade has had continual problems, felony charges, etc., for drug usage, I don't understand how they can still *use* themselves, when the son knows they do. Just boggles my mind.

I don't know the particulars, but I'm guessing "active addiction" issues.

If he was my kid, I'd have marched him in to therapy and MADE SURE the therapist was advised of ALL of my concerns about my child. Especially since this family was aware of and took advantage of therapy for the husband. This wasn't a family that was 'morally opposed to therapy', the way so many are. And that's the reason I've always tried to be honest about my own problems. IMO too many people hide mental problems. It's shameful to admit to having a mental illness to many. But this family used therapy for themselves. There's no reason prior therapist's shouldn't have been made aware of EXACTLY what the problems entailed IMO.

If he was my kid, I'd have marched him in to therapy and MADE SURE the therapist was advised of ALL of my concerns about my child. Especially since this family was aware of and took advantage of therapy for the husband. This wasn't a family that was 'morally opposed to therapy', the way so many are. And that's the reason I've always tried to be honest about my own problems. IMO too many people hide mental problems. It's shameful to admit to having a mental illness to many. But this family used therapy for themselves. There's no reason prior therapist's shouldn't have been made aware of EXACTLY what the problems entailed IMO.

I came in late today, so I might have missed the time sequence, but she mentioned therapy, didn't she? Regardless, I agree with you.

I hope she goes to Al-Anon, and if she doesn't she should.

I can't imagine the pain and ongoing grief that comes in raising what is a sociopath. It's not something that can be cured.

At some point when sociopathy is determined, there's got to be something that can be done to contain a sociopath and at least keep them in tight(er) control so the public is not in danger. I don't profess to know the answers, but when there's a 'bad seed' no amount of therapy or drugs is going to cure them. Ever.

Thank you, Rigby. I try to be open and honest about it because so many people hide it out of shame. I decided if I talk about it, it might help somebody else to see you can get better. And it's not a shameful thing to need help. Like my therapist says, mental illness is like any other illness. It can be treated, successfully, maintained, etc. I strongly recommend seeking help if necessary, and seeing as many therapists as it takes to find the right one. The one you *feel* is helping you to get better. There are lots of 'not so helpful' ones out there, but there are also some very dedicated professionals who will do their best to help you.

I came in late today, so I might have missed the time sequence, but she mentioned therapy, didn't she? Regardless, I agree with you.

She did, but the prior therapist's have claimed they weren't aware of the extent of his problems. When he was still a teenager, IMO, his parents should have given the therapist an over-view of EXACTLY what their concerns were. Everything from his anger issues to his sexual dysfunctions or deviations. What ever they are called. JMO

I can't imagine the pain and ongoing grief that comes in raising what is a sociopath. It's not something that can be cured.

At some point when sociopathy is determined, there's got to be something that can be done to contain a sociopath and at least keep them in tight(er) control so the public is not in danger. I don't profess to know the answers, but when there's a 'bad seed' no amount of therapy or drugs is going to cure them. Ever.

I'm not quite certain he's a sociopath. I certainly don't put him in the 'Bundy' catagory. He does appear to be extremely narcicissitic (sp?), but a true sociopath, just not sure. Perhaps, had he received proper treatment as a child.......

:goodpost:

So true... not like most of us....their world is exclusively about them, and unfortunately there are many among us who now fit this category - all shapes and sizes, all ages and races and walks of life. I don't believe there will ever be a drug to put a loving heart and conscience in place, and even if there was, how would you get them to take it? :jail:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmccastor
Back