NC - Keith Scott, 43, killed by LEO, Charlotte, 20 Sept 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The chief said officers were searching for a suspect when they saw Scott exit a vehicle with a handgun. He said the officers told him to drop the gun and that he got out of the vehicle a second time still carrying the gun.

"It's time to change the narrative, because I can tell you from the facts that the story's a little bit different as to how it's been portrayed so far, especially through social media," he said.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...t-and-kill-Keith-Lamont-Scott-Charlotte/page2
Hoping there is camera footage that shows clearly what happened. I know recently a bill was either introduce or passed in NC that had something to do with not allowing the public access to police cam videos. I am gonna take a break for while, because what I am thinking isn't always coming out right when I post. This is a very polarizing issue, and it's hard to express a complete thought process without it being of epic length. I will just pray for healing and understanding.

I really like Chief Putney. Like truly, he is doing a lot to bring our community together. I want to believe his version of the truth but after other shootings, it's hard to know what to believe.

My husband just told me to leave work early because another protest will be uptown tonight and I work close by. So anyone on this thread that works in or near uptown CLT, leave early.

If you look at the numbers there's no denying it's a race thing. (Percentage-wise) Law enforcement kills more black citizens than white citizens. Period. But people will believe what they want to believe, I guess.

It's really not that simple. You also have to look at who police interact with each and everyday. What is the racial make-up of the criminal activity in the communities? jmo

Hoping there is camera footage that shows clearly what happened. I know recently a bill was either introduce or passed in NC that had something to do with not allowing the public access to police cam videos. I am gonna take a break for while, because what I am thinking isn't always coming out right when I post. This is a very polarizing issue, and it's hard to express a complete thought process without it being of epic length. I will just pray for healing and understanding.

Katie Peralta ‏@katieperalta 2h2 hours agoCharlotte, NC
Katie Peralta Retweeted Josh Humphrey
they wear em but NC law will prevent police from releasing footage to public w/o court order. See: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/crime/article103183107.html …

Are people really pointing to a misdemeanor from 12 years ago as justification for killing this man?
Or the fact that he was in possession of a firearm, which is a right hotly defended by many of the same people who are defending the killing of Mr Keith by saying "he had a gun!"
I'm sure he did not bring the gun (assuming he did indeed have one; rumors fly after these terrible incidents) intending to shoot some police officers while he waited for the school bus.
Bluesneakers said it beautifully. Compassion is a renewable resource. You can feel it for the child who got off the bus to find that instead of riding home with his dad, he was starting a new life without a father; you can feel it for the man who certainly felt confusion and terror in his last moments on earth, instead of the intended car ride with his child; and there will still be plenty left over for the officer who must now contend with having taken a life, as well as those of us who must live in a society where such things have become all too common.

I really like Chief Putney. Like truly, he is doing a lot to bring our community together. I want to believe his version of the truth but after other shootings, it's hard to know what to believe.

My husband just told me to leave work early because another protest will be uptown tonight and I work close by. So anyone on this thread that works in or near uptown CLT, leave early.

OT: A Flyers fan in Charlotte. That's awesome. :)

Honestly the story that he was waiting for the school bus came from the daughter that said he was reading a book and didn't have a gun. So I am not so sure he was waiting for the bus. jmo I tend to believe the Police Chief.

Kerr Putney, chief of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department, said at a press conference Wednesday morning that Keith Lamont Scott, 43, had a gun in his hand when he was shot by police officers. A family member has claimed he was unarmed and reading a book when officers first approached him.

“I can tell you a weapon was seized,” Putney said. “I can tell you we did not find a book.”

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/keith-l...te-police-say-he-was-holding-a-gun-when-shot/

Scott’s sister said he was unarmed and was reading a book while waiting for his son to get off the school bus, when police approached him.

“They jumped out their truck. They said, ‘Hands up! He got a gun! He got a gun!’ Pow, pow, pow, pow,” she said. “That’s it. He had no gun.”

Did this creep police chief just throw his officer under the bus?

Are people really pointing to a misdemeanor from 12 years ago as justification for killing this man?
Or the fact that he was in possession of a firearm, which is a right hotly defended by many of the same people who are defending the killing of Mr Keith by saying "he had a gun!"
I'm sure he did not bring the gun (assuming he did indeed have one; rumors fly after these terrible incidents) intending to shoot some police officers while he waited for the school bus.
Bluesneakers said it beautifully. Compassion is a renewable resource. You can feel it for the child who got off the bus to find that instead of riding home with his dad, he was starting a new life without a father; you can feel it for the man who certainly felt confusion and terror in his last moments on earth, instead of the intended car ride with his child; and there will still be plenty left over for the officer who must now contend with having taken a life, as well as those of us who must live in a society where such things have become all too common.

Or instead of making a lot of assumptions, we can wait for the facts to come out.

The police say he had a gun in his hand and ignored police orders.

The daughter who did not witness the shooting says he was an unarmed disabled man reading a book while waiting for his son to get off the school bus and he was shot just because he was black..

People are pointing a finger to someone that had a gun and refused to follow LE's orders.
I'm a visible minority but not black, however I was taught to respect those in authority and do as they say. Yes, there are bad apples in all groups. But why is it OK to paint all officers are bigots against blacks and yet people get their panties in a bunch when blacks are painted as all being criminals.
If it's good for one group, it's good for another.

All MOO!

Most Americans, IMO, have for historical reasons never been particularly good at making distinctions between race and class.

Even the wealthiest and most privileged blacks are subjected to discrimination and police harassment simply because of their skin color. That's just a fact.

But the kind of situation in which unarmed blacks are shot and killed? That is almost always about race AND class. Assumptions by LE are made & apprehension/fear is increased because poor folks (white or black, but definitely more so black) are perceived as having less to lose and more likely to be violent. Just the reality of the thing.

Do I or should I feel empathy for Scott's family, before the facts are known? Sure, in the sense of it is IMO unspeakable to lose a parent so suddenly and so violently.

And then I listen to 5 or so minutes of the video his daughter put on YouTube. The cops are still on the scene. Her father has just died, moments ago. And yet....all I hear is her screaming a nonstop stream of profanity, including insults directed at a female officer about her looks, and the term "coon" being used to address other cops. And no crying.

His daughter's response is irrelevant to what did or did not happen between Scott and LE. But in terms of folks being able to identity or sympathize with Scott's daughter? Yah, right or wrong, I think it matters to many folks.

If this gentleman indeed had a gun and did not follow LE's direction, then the police acted accordingly. Or maybe the police should have waited until one of them was shot, to act.
If this gentleman had no gun, then police should be investigated.
I seriously hate it when people, whomever, play the race card.
People get all defensive when someone in authority make a request. Whatever happened to common courtesy to a fellow human being in an authority?

People are pointing a finger to someone that had a gun and refused to follow LE's orders.
I'm a visible minority but not black, however I was taught to respect those in authority and do as they say. Yes, there are bad apples in all groups. But why is it OK to paint all officers are bigots against blacks and yet people get their panties in a bunch when blacks are painted as all being criminals.
If it's good for one group, it's good for another.

All MOO!

No, it's not the same thing at all. People choose to become police officers and when they do they have an entire system backing them up and looking out for them. They make agreements with their employers and with the citizens of their districts. They are expected to represent law and order and public service.

Bad apple police officers should be weeded out, fired, replaced. Bad apple police officers do very bad (including unspeakable horrors - look at some threads here) things while we pay their salaries, and continue paying many of them after they are dismissed or fired.

People are born black (or white) and don't make any agreements with anyone. They are who they are. You can't expect a group of people who have nothing in common other than the way they look to behave the way you want them to behave, but we have every right to expect our public servants to obey the law and not randomly kill us.

Pointing out racial inequities and injustices is not saying "All cops are bigots." But one police officer is expected (rightly so) to be a representative of law enforcement. One black person is not an ambassador, not a representative of all black people.

The two groups are nowhere near equal and "good for the goose, good for the gander" is not applicable.

If this gentleman indeed had a gun and did not follow LE's direction, then the police acted accordingly. Or maybe the police should have waited until one of them was shot, to act.
If this gentleman had no gun, then police should be investigated.
I seriously hate it when people, whomever, play the race card.
People get all defensive when someone in authority make a request. Whatever happened to common courtesy to a fellow human being in an authority?

I believe North Carolina is an open carry state and as far as we know if he was carrying a gun he had every legal right to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB