GUILTY NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kinston, 13 July 2011 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
here is GH's answer to his youngest son's name:

"I named my oldest Grant Haze IV...and then you have Gentle. Because now...in my maturity, I'm understanding what real masculinity is. And it's gentle."​
Uh huh...

[LINK]

GH makes me want to :puke:

But why then rent a U-Haul to store the ice chests, when you're already paying for a nearby storage facility? Why not just use the storage unit and save 3 days worth of rental expense for the U-Haul until the day of travel (Sat)? Maybe the unit was already too full of stuff?

But, someone's comment earlier said perhaps they were picking up ice chests from the storage unit. That could be it. Maybe they already owned 2 or 3 chests which were stored in the unit. Then, upon realizing that more were needed, GH purchased additional ice chests.

How the heck did they fit 2 adults, 2 toddlers and a newborn baby in a pickup truck for the 1200 mile drive to TX? Would a space cab fit 3 car seats?

Also, I have absolutely nothing to base this on, but I bet they didn't use a violent method to murder Laura. To me, GH seems like too much of a coward to personally use physical force, and a gun would make too much noise. Also, Laura was bigger than GH and could fight back.

I bet they drugged her...overdosed her on heroin or something like that. No fuss, no muss. She would just stop breathing.

If the ice chests were in the storage building they would have to take her body parts out of the house, to the shed, go everyday to put ice in them so they didn't smell and take a chance of someone seeing them.

Makes more sense to me to put the ice chests in the u-haul, in their parking lot, add ice and no smell.........jmo

I think he strangled her. If he came up from behind and used a rope he could do it. She would fight but AH might have helped. Time will tell....I hope.

In something that I re-read this afternoon the (early) report stated that the Hayes grandparents had all 3 children. Somebody yesterday said she thought the baby had been turned over to child services, so I don't know.

I'm guilty. I thought I read that the baby was taken by DSS. That might have been at the time of arrest. I might be wrong about that.

Does anyone know which storage unit and what time it closes? He could have been yelling at LH because he had to get what he wanted and be back at the apartment in time for LA to return the boys.

Whatever he picked up at the SU was probably used to either kill her or dismember her or both.

BBM

Chainsaw? Handsaw? Drop-cloth or tarp? Buckets? They thought of everything, huh?

They had a "to do her in" list, and they checked it twice. Then, off to Texas. Gee, they were smart!

I'm guilty. I thought I read that the baby was taken by DSS. That might have been at the time of arrest. I might be wrong about that.

But you may be correct because I was re-reading early reports just after this case broke. I haven't read anything updating the status of the children in what seems like several weeks. I feel so sorry for the little boys as they are old enough to miss their dad, mom and step mom.
I hope I live long enough to see both of these evil people have their day in court. I'm afraid it's going to be a long, drawn out process though. I hope Amanda Hayes is offering up Grant Hayes daily to her attorney and law enforcement to try to save herself from the needle. If she can hand him over with absolute proof, I don't have a problem with her receiving a somewhat reduced sentence--like 2nd degree instead of 1st. However, I want both of them to spend the rest of their lives in prison reflecting on what they did and how much they lost.

BBM

Chainsaw? Handsaw? Drop-cloth or tarp? Buckets? They thought of everything, huh?

They had a "to do her in" list, and they checked it twice. Then, off to Texas. Gee, they were smart!

Can you imagine having to clean up after sawing up a body? I can't, and I hope both of them dream about it each night for the next 60 years.

I think you we are thinking along the same lines--that the murder was probably a 'soft' one--strangulation, suffocation, etc. I am still intrigued by the dismemberment--they must have used a hack saw or hand saw and not an electrical saw to avoid making a lot of noise in the apartment complex. Gosh, just thinking about that gives me goosebumps, so gory.
If I'm remembering correctly, the Texas ME was going to do the autopsy? Is that right? I hope there is enough of her left, especially the head/neck area, to determine a cause of death. Not being able to actually determine a cause of death was one of the big hang ups the CA jury had.
My father, brother and grandson were/are engineers, they got the good math and science genes. English was my forte early on (wouldn't know it to hear me talk!) but I ended up in LE with a psych degree. I mostly inherited the farmhand genes from my mom's side of the family :)

I remember somewhere along the line LE saying they knew the machete wasn't used due to the clean nature of the cuts. Clean cuts sounds to me like the saw was powered. Also, there was paperwork discarded that gave proof of GH and AH having a saw. I know if you rented a saw it would be powered. Or maybe it was a receipt, which in that case it could be either. Still stumped!...

BBM

I doubt if he used a chainsaw. They live in an apartment. I didn't mention drop-cloth or tarp or buckets. Just tools. Hand saws, coolers, whatever else he thought he would need.

Just an idea and yes if they planned it I'm sure they had a list of what would be needed.

I think it was one too. The early news reports that referred to her as "Perry Hayes" didn't use a hyphen between the two names and didn't mention the name Amanda at all.

A search of the San Juan County New Mexico records shows Amanda Perry T. Depp married in 1988 and became Amanda Elmer. I have found no records of her using the name Amanda Abernathy. If anyone has a source for that, I'd appreciate it. I've only been able to document Amanda Perry T. Depp, Amanda Elmer, Amanda Smith, and Amanda Haze.

A search of the San Juan County New Mexico records shows Amanda Perry T. Depp married in 1988 and became Amanda Elmer. I have found no records of her using the name Amanda Abernathy. If anyone has a source for that, I'd appreciate it. I've only been able to document Amanda Perry T. Depp, Amanda Elmer, Amanda Smith, and Amanda Haze.

I believe Abernathy was her maiden name.

I believe Abernathy was her maiden name.

I believed that also until I saw the marriage record which lists her maiden name as Depp.

Also, from her mother's obituary:

She is preceded in death by her parents, a daughter, Carolyn Depp, and a sister xxxxxxx.
Her surviving family members include her four children: son xxxxx, and wife xxxxxx of Durango, Colo.; three daughters: xxxxx and husband xxxxx of Richmond, Texas; xxxxxx of Dallas, Texas; and Amanda and husband Grant Haze of North Carolina.....

Abernathy could have been a married name of her mother's?? Or she could have chosen to go by that name at some point. I'd just like a source to say for sure.

Amen! I hope they don't put him in General Population. Just think about all the guys who hate their ex-wives. He might be a hero. Solitare would be better. He couldn't boost his ego or play the star!

Well, JeannieC, wait a minute, wait a minute....Bubba's always looking for a star!!....:guitar:.....:star:.......:guitar:............:eek:.........:guitar:..... :eek:hwow:

:cow:

Thanks! I'm far out of "that circle", but I'll keep my ear to the ground;) :websleuther:

I am curious. There was a segment of this discussion where a lot was cited about trials and attorneys in detail. (I've personally had a good experience with HM in the past, btw, but I'm not shocked about his involvement...) You guys really seem to be in the know. How can I best keep up when this trial occurs? Are transcripts available somewhere or is it from news and discussion? A message would be fine, and thanks in advance!

Some "better-known" of the murder trials tried in the Wake Co. (NC) courtrooms are broadcast live online (not on TV) by WRAL and WTVD on their respective websites. (No idea what criteria they use to air them). They are also copied to DVD (or whatever) and are available on their websites each evening, and they are retained for some period of time. So, you may watch them live or later. No idea whether this one will be aired...but it is getting some attention on those stations and in print media.
icon5.gif

I do not know about transcripts, but watching them live (for us early-retired folks) is amazing... Many of us WSers have watched them and we comment on here as we go and as we can keep up, from time to time, and we always have a lot to discuss after a day "in court." So hang close, as your time & schedule allow, and maybe we can watch this one together!

===>Warning<=== It can result in unwanted weight gain -- take it from me and at least one other of our WSers...
icon10.gif

I am with you I think LA distanced her self from her family for a reason, none of them seemed to have her nor her children in their lives until this point. I am not sure if it is just the way I was raised, but I just could not imagine my life without my sister/brother in it. I wonder just how many of her family members other than JA have even laid eyes on these children?:banghead:

I'm sure there's a lot we don't, and never will, know about this family, and under "normal" conditions, "ain't nobody's biznezz but my own" and all that, but now with the murder and custody and a dead mother to two boys and the father in jail facing a tuff trial and possible LWOP or worse (certainly deserved if he's guilty), it has now become public discussion. All families have a "crazy" aunt or uncle, and skeletons in a closet somewhere, but this family is quite a study... Just plain odd dynamics, if there even are dynamics...

I do wonder if LA ever had a family member that she could always go to for help? She at least had the unfailing love of her boys, but that was way too brief and not a sure thing due to the custody issues. She probably had her foibles, as we all do, but I have never heard anything negative said about her. It appears to me that she had a lot of unearned baggage as well as an apparently negative environment from which to rise. And she seemed to be making such positive moves and just beginning to live a little.

pardon my soft rant and sadness for someone I don't even know ... just had to say it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeannieC
That is why they needed a trailer and that is why they needed it 3 days ahead of time. Body locked in a trailer in the parking lot, ready to go. Probably had furniture blocking the view so when they opened the door no one would see what was in there.

I bet they will find that GH was buying bags of ice during the days before they left for TX.
- - - - - - - - -- - - -- - -- - - - - --
originally posted by Boodles
But why then rent a U-Haul to store the ice chests, when you're already paying for a nearby storage facility? Why not just use the storage unit and save 3 days worth of rental expense for the U-Haul until the day of travel (Sat)?

= = = = = = = = = = == = = == = == = = == = == = = = = = = = = =

BBM & <SBM>, in both posts above.
This kind of question can puzzle the public, LE investigators, prosecutors, and perhaps eventually the jury. On the surface, it does not make sense, even when we try to think the way we believe the perps think(whoever he/she/they is/are).

Why would someone spend extra $$ - 3 days rental - for no apparent reason?
Except when we are advised of one little it sy-bitsy, teeny-weeny piece of info, like, &#8230;..
HYPOTHETICALLY, if the perps planned this, more than a few days in advance&#8230;

What if perps had contacted the U-Haul rental outfit to make a reservation for, say, a Friday, and gave credit card info to assure trailer, and were told --
this &#8220;reservation&#8221; does not guarantee you a trailer. It&#8217;s actually first come-first serve, but with cc info/deposit, so if people come in and rent trailers Friday and no trailers are left by the time you show up (even with your reservation and cc info/deposit), then you are out of luck. If somebody else rents, then we won&#8217;t charge your cc.

Under these circumstances, perp(s) might be willing to pay for a few extra days rental.

When moving earlier this year, we ran into this situation w. a U-Haul rental.

Reminds me of a Seinfeld show, where Jerry told the car rental agent:
You know how to make the reservation, you just don&#8217;t know how to keep the reservation.

I believed that also until I saw the marriage record which lists her maiden name as Depp.

Also, from her mother's obituary:

She is preceded in death by her parents, a daughter, Carolyn Depp, and a sister xxxxxxx.
Her surviving family members include her four children: son xxxxx, and wife xxxxxx of Durango, Colo.; three daughters: xxxxx and husband xxxxx of Richmond, Texas; xxxxxx of Dallas, Texas; and Amanda and husband Grant Haze of North Carolina.....

Abernathy could have been a married name of her mother's?? Or she could have chosen to go by that name at some point. I'd just like a source to say for sure.

Her married names were listed in an earlier thread. I'll try to find it. It had something about one of her last names but I can't remember which one and what it said. Been a while...........

Yes, I will put up another one later....though it seems everytime I do several new things come to light the same day. The last one I put their probable cause hearings in, and a few hours later we find out they have been indicted instead.

Yeah, jrb, I guess you would need to let the dust settle a bit on adding items to the timeline. Each different reporter has usually a different angle and certainly they do not get interviews from the same people and not at the same time. Or one will come in from out of left field every now & then.

We'll be patient -- I'm sure you know all too well that just because a date is set for something in the future, it "ain't necessarily so." And you are doing a mammoth job on it, but I'm sure none of us wants you to spend more time revising it than just to add to it!
icon7.gif
icon14.gif

I'm confused about this and still don't have a good understanding of how the storage unit plays into everything. Were the coolers already in the storage unit? Since we don't know exactly what time LA arrived at the Hayes' apartment--either to pick the children up to take them out to eat.....or to bring them home from eating out....the timeline will be a question mark until more info is released. Actually, I don't think she ever left the apartment once she arrived to pick the boys up. I think whatever happened to her happened probably within the first 20 minutes or so of her arrival there.

Maybe they did store them in the unit after they bought them because having them at home with toddlers running around would be very, very dangerous. Should we give them that much credit for good parenting on the one hand vs. the plans they had for the coolers on the other??

Just a pure out-of-the-blue guess.
icon6.gif

I think you we are thinking along the same lines--that the murder was probably a 'soft' one--strangulation, suffocation, etc. I am still intrigued by the dismemberment--they must have used a hack saw or hand saw and not an electrical saw to avoid making a lot of noise in the apartment complex. Gosh, just thinking about that gives me goosebumps, so gory.
If I'm remembering correctly, the Texas ME was going to do the autopsy? Is that right? I hope there is enough of her left, especially the head/neck area, to determine a cause of death. Not being able to actually determine a cause of death was one of the big hang ups the CA jury had.
My father, brother and grandson were/are engineers, they got the good math and science genes. English was my forte early on (wouldn't know it to hear me talk!) but I ended up in LE with a psych degree. I mostly inherited the farmhand genes from my mom's side of the family :)

Yep, East -- Sounds like we are right-brained, as they say. I, with my English degree, ended up as a Tech writer & then a development programmer(!). You with your psych degree ended up in LE. What type of LE did you perform, if I may ask?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HollyMcKee