GUILTY NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kinston, 13 July 2011 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nursebeeme and Bessie are active mods in the located section right now. They will move it.

Weren't they supposed to reschedule Abaroa's next trial daate some time in Sept? That's now, and I haven't heard a thing???

January, 2014. Don't know/remember the specific date.

They do have a lot to go through. And there's the administrivia stuff of selecting a foreperson, getting organized, blowing off some steam now they can finally talk to each other about the case, etc. Remember they have not been discussing the case so they have 3 weeks to catch up on. Patience is necessary. As long as they come to a unanimous decision in the end, however long they need is fine.

This morning, when the juror spoke up about his vacation starting this Friday -- when His Honor asked if any of them had a hardship about remaining with the jury -- before he released the alternates -- I enjoyed Stephens' reply. Something like, "If you haven't reached a verdict by Friday, you will not ever reach one." He knows his stuff, and I would have to agree. Then I hoped that remark would not become an appeal issue... Worry-wart me!

1st degree, guilty. Thank you Jesus!

The esso bee is blinking like he's in an 80 mph sandstorm. That s.e. grin has finally, FINALLY left his pretty little face.
I especially love it when the deputies immediately come close to the convicted defendant (sounds good, huh?!) as soon as the word, "GUILTY" has been uttered! One always comes in as close to the convict as possible -- behind him. The other is very nearby. GH has just become the responsibility of the the State of North Carolina, and the deputies know to take no chances. What a sight for sore eyes.

And fellow-conspirator AH will know this verdict by the time I've finished entering this sentence....
icon10.gif

This morning, when the juror spoke up about his vacation starting this Friday -- when His Honor asked if any of them had a hardship about remaining with the jury -- before he released the alternates -- I enjoyed Stephens' reply. Something like, "If you haven't reached a verdict by Friday, you will not ever reach one." He knows his stuff, and I would have to agree. Then I hoped that remark would not become an appeal issue... Worry-wart me!

Yeah, exactly, all the evidence was so straight-forward, there was really nothing to figure out....

Very glad this was a quick and resounding Guilty.

Start the bus, start the bus, for Central Prison, at 1300 Western Blvd.
Raleigh, N.C. 27606

He'll take a few psych tests, a physical exam and talk to some folks. It usually takes 3--4 weeks for the Dept of Public Safety (formerly Dept of Corrections) to decide were to lock him up every night.

CPbackside.jpg

Awesome! Thanks to everyone for posting.

Any thoughts on what this means for AH and her trial?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Not too good for her, IMO, and btw --

Welcome to the forum, Hoosgirl!!

Stick around and help us out!!

:websleuther::thewave:
:websleuther:

After the verdict was read and he quit smiling and rocking, I noticed a large, red blotch break out in his right temple area. Ha, he nerves were finally getting to him and reality set in.

Did anybody see his parents in the courtroom? If not, what does that say?

----------------

AND what will become of Little Grant and Gentle? Is their custody legal, or do they just "have" them for now?

OK I have not posted this up until now.
Actually I found it quite irritating because I do not LIKE the song at all....

But this has been stuck in my head off and on almost every day when trial was in session.
I went and found the lyrics and it is almost eerie.
But this day is for her, so here they are-

"Think Of Laura" by Christopher Cross

Every once in a while I'd see her smile
And she'd turn my day around
A girl with those eyes could stare through the lies
And see what your heart was saying

Think of Laura but laugh don't cry
I know she'd want it that way
When you think of Laura laugh don't cry

A friend of a friend, a friend till the end
That's the kind of girl she was
Taken away so young
Taken away without a warning

I know you and you're here
In every day we live
I know her and well, she's here
I can feel her when I sing

Hey Laura, where are you now
Are you far away from here
I don't think so
I think you're here
Taking our tears away

Is it not just wild how fitting these lyrics are?

images

images

images

images

JUSTICE FOR LAURA - SEPTEMBER 16, 2013

Thank you to this judge and jury, prosecutors, most of all to LE teams in NC and Texas, detectives if not for them who knows where this monster would be today...probably relaxing on a beach in the Virgin Islands.

Such a pang of sorrow for the children right now (NOT b/c of Grant), but because this chapter has closed but they will forever live without their mother who loved them so much. Where are they now, are they with Grants' parents???? Furious mad, do they even mention their mother to them?? Are they even allowed to mourn their mother???

So sad for this.

I hope they are good folks.... What do they say to them when they ask, "Where's Mommy?" Oh, my.

I predict AH will get first degree murder too. Her time is coming. She participated so she's guilty of acting in concert. Slam dunk!

Agreed, Mad74.

Maybe she was in another room nursing her newborn -- she could have called LE while she was in there -- to ask them to come over and just be there. She could have tried to stop it - she could have called LA herself & told her not to come. But no-o-o-o-o-o, she called her sister, helped in the clean-up at least, and participated in the Whole Thing. Yep, in concert should put her in the slammer for the rest of her natural life. A willing -- or unwilling -- participant. She was THERE from start to finish. Period.
icon8.gif

I just got here a few moments ago, read the verdict on the thread and went and watched the judge dole out the verdict and LWOP.

It's a wonderful day that justice has been done as quickly as any jury could. Bless the children and may they be allowed to know all about their wonderful mother, Laura.

I can tell you one case I would be very interested in but I doubt the police will press any charges, investigation will be closed....out in California....

Tell it, double-a!

I'm so glad they found him guilty, but one thing keeps nagging me. The charges for murder, I get that, he got LWOP... but what about what he did AFTER the murder? The defense kept saying "this is only about the actual murder, pay no attention to the post-murder details blah blah blah"... well, to me that is more heinous than the murder itself. I just wish they could have been charged with other charges. I'd like to see him do 3 life sentences if he can't get the DP. I don't know, I just think 1 life sentence isn't enough for this .

I searched the NC General Statutes and found this:

§ 14-401.22. Concealment of death; disturbing human remains; dismembering human remains.
(a) Any person who, with the intent to conceal the death of a person, fails to notify a law enforcement authority of the death or secretly buries or otherwise secretly disposes of a dead human body is guilty of a Class I felony.
(b) Any person who aids, counsels, or abets any other person in concealing the death of a person is guilty of a Class A1 misdemeanor.
(c) Any person who willfully (i) disturbs, vandalizes, or desecrates human remains, by any means, including any physical alteration or manipulation of the human remains, or (ii) commits or attempts to commit upon any human remains any act of sexual penetration is guilty of a Class I felony. This subsection does not apply to:
(1) Acts by a first responder or others providing medical care.
(2) Acts committed as part of scientific or medical research, treatment, or diagnosis.
(3) Acts performed by a licensed funeral director or embalmer consistent with standard practice.
(4) Acts committed for the purpose of extracting body parts in accordance with usual and customary standards of medical practice.
(5) Acts by a professional archaeologist as defined in G.S. 70-28(4) acting pursuant to the provisions of Article 3 of Chapter 70 of the General Statutes.
(6) Acts committed for any other lawful purpose.
(d) Any person who attempts to conceal evidence of the death of another by knowingly and willfully dismembering or destroying human remains, by any means, including removing body parts or otherwise obliterating any portion thereof, shall be guilty of a Class H felony.
(e) Any person who violates subsection (d) of this section, knowing or having reason to know the human remains are of a person that did not die of natural causes, shall be guilty of a Class D felony.
(f) As used in this section, "human remains" means any dead human body in any condition of decay or any significant part of a dead human body, including any limb, organ, or bone. (2005-288, s. 1; 2011-193, s. 1.)
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/Statutes/StatutesSearch.asp?searchScope=All&searchCriteria=%22human+body%22&returnType=Section

--------------------------------------------------
Bolded by borndem
--------------------------------------------------

So, it is in the law.

A D felony has this range of penalties -- anywhere from 38-51 months, with max as 128-160 mos.

An H felony has paltry penalties -- anywhere from 4-5 months, with max as 20-25 mos.

An I felony has paltrier penalties -- anywhere from 3-4 months, with max as 10-12 mos.

Min - Max depends upon prior felony points & whether the crime is judged as Mitigated, Presumptive or Aggravated.

IANAL, please be advised! I have just gotten a bit familiar with researching the NC General Statutes in many of the cases I've followed here on WS. So don't go down to LE or the Courts & start anything cuz I could be all wet.
icon6.gif

For AH case, is it gonna be the same prosecutors? Anyone know?

It usually is. When Judge Stephens had a preliminary scheduling-type hearing which included this case, BH and Boz were there, along with Cutler, IIRC (not sure about that, and I don't remember the other def. atty. if he was there.) Later, when they separated the trials at AH's request, the same principals were there, and a def. atty. asked for more time on the 2nd trial, and Stephens granted it. Then AH secured a private attorney, a good (and expensive) one -- Johnny Gaskins. See article below:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/08/29/3147275/trial-begins-for-raleigh-man-accused.html

So we should see the same PT principals -- but prolly not Stephens, unless he chooses to remain and the retirement laws allow it....(who knoze?). But yes, I would bet BH & Boz will be at that same table when court is in session for AH.

Did anybody see his parents in the courtroom? If not, what does that say?

----------------

AND what will become of Little Grant and Gentle? Is their custody legal, or do they just "have" them for now?

Also what happened to Amanda's and Grant's daughter (is her name Lily, can't remember now?) Where is she, is she also with Grants parents or do Amanda's family have her?

images

images

images

images

JUSTICE FOR LAURA - SEPTEMBER 16, 2013

Thank you! Such a strong spirit, she is, and always will be. If you boys ever read here, know that. Your mom LOVES you always and forever.

Also what happened to Amanda's and Grant's daughter (is her name Lily, can't remember now?) Where is she, is she also with Grants parents or do Amanda's family have her?

Yes, they have all of the kids, sadly. Laura's dad tried to get custody of the boys, but for whatever reason it didn't happen. I'm actually surprised that Sha didn't try to get custody of Lily. She really loved her step-sister and the boys too.

Isn't it creepy how Grant replaced Laura with somebody who looks VERY SIMILAR to her. So creepy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste