GUILTY NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kinston, 13 July 2011 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why was this not a death penalty case? Has anyone expounded on that in one of the threads. (I really am trying to catch up)

One thing I've wrestled with is why did this happen? It seems to be popular opinion or even the court's idea that GH & AH wanted those boys. I'm thinking it may be more in line with what so many other "man kills the mother of his child(ren)" scenarios - child support. If LA got custody or more custody, child support might have or probably would have been an issue. And with that, GH would HAVE to get a job - a real job. He would have to stop wasting money traveling. He spent (or they spent) all of AH's money. AH was caring for an infant and wouldn't have been able to work. Regardless of her working or not, it would be GH who would have to shoulder the child support - which meant GET A JOB. I think he didn't want to work. He loved not growing up (like so many of them do) and all the responsibility falls on someone else. Suddenly, he knows he will be forced to do something like earn a living and he gets resentful to point of murder. Just a thought. As for AH, I guess she got caught up in it or she's just crazy.

It would have been AH's money too. IT seems like she was the one supporting him, anyway. I think she figured out real fast that it would end up being her money.

Did you watch the testimony of the M.E. and pathologist?

Yes; she did not testify as to which specific actions were taken by AH to cause the death of LA, nor could she.

Especially when GH had already been convicted of the murder. (Also a part of AH's defense.)

I think most jurors want it nice and neat. Especially when it comes to a murder conviction.

Describe it in detail -- tell us what kind of knife AH used and show us her DNA and fingerprints on it.

The M.E. could not do this.

The circumstantial and corroborating evidence implicating AH is overwhelming.

Sadly these days, some jurors want DNA, prints, photographs and videos of the actual murder from multiple angles.

There are reasonable and there are unreasonable doubts.

And only reasonable folk know the difference.

=========================================

The judge is back...

Judge Stephens has more than the simple sniffles today. I think he has a horrible cold.

JS officially ends the break and it's back to:

DELIBERATING_zpsb5878d79.jpg

link

Mario Andrette McNeill, who raped, murdered and then dumped 5 year old Shaniya Davis in the woods offered no defense, no closing argument, no mitigating factors, nothing.

That case is very, very personal to me.

{{hugs to you lib's mom}}

That case made me cry more than one time.

One of the things that really BUGGED me with AMANDA's trial was the contradictions about SHAE. She claimed she was worried for Shae's safety, she wanted Shae to not give interviews and to go to NM because she was trying to protect her.

The reality was SHE came very close to making her daughter an accessory didn't she? Asking Shae to come get that boys and keep them and then asking for HER boyfriend's vacuum cleaner and for SHAE to bring them dinner. She treated Shae very badly.

NO wonder Shae cooperated with police! Shae was passed around like a ball - her dad, her mom's sister, her mom... no stability. I feel sorry so sorry for her. I hope whoever this guy was she married treats her well.

There isn't a chance Amanda if convicted would be able to moved to NM or TX is there? Are there separate charges that could be filed in TX against GRANT and AMANDA?

I would think some kind of illegally disposing of a body change in addition to the acid dumping charge pending.

And Mr. Ackerson filed a wrongful death suit last summer against them.

Why was this not a death penalty case? Has anyone expounded on that in one of the threads. (I really am trying to catch up)

Hi JF! Good to see you--you are VERY late to the party.
I don't know about the death penalty in this case. If ever it was warranted, this and GH's case warranted it.

One thing I've wrestled with is why did this happen? It seems to be popular opinion or even the court's idea that GH & AH wanted those boys. I'm thinking it may be more in line with what so many other "man kills the mother of his child(ren)" scenarios - child support. If LA got custody or more custody, child support might have or probably would have been an issue. And with that, GH would HAVE to get a job - a real job. He would have to stop wasting money traveling. He spent (or they spent) all of AH's money. AH was caring for an infant and wouldn't have been able to work. Regardless of her working or not, it would be GH who would have to shoulder the child support - which meant GET A JOB. I think he didn't want to work. He loved not growing up (like so many of them do) and all the responsibility falls on someone else. Suddenly, he knows he will be forced to do something like earn a living and he gets resentful to point of murder. Just a thought. As for AH, I guess she got caught up in it or she's just crazy.

THe more that I think of it, the more and more I agree with your post (I already did, but now I think you really hit the nail on the head).

I'm just thinking, if they had to pay child support, with minimal income Grant was pulling in (when he had a job), think of how hard it would be to give any of that to Laura. It was for the kids, but to them it would seem like they were just giving it to Laura.

THey were already in financial straits.

They had new baby.

They (I'm sure) felt like Laura would "waste it."

Hi JohnFear,

It seems in this county when a defendant has children (esp. young kids) the state does not seek the DP. I don't know if that's a policy they have or just a coincidence, but that's what I've noticed.

Judge Stephens has more than the simple sniffles today. I think he has a horrible cold.

I am just using your post to jump off of and mean no disrespect to you NCEast my friend!

I understand that he has allergies and a cold now. Someone needs to let him know that his coughing and sniffling sounds very rude on the live stream though. He could turn off his mike or away from it when he needs to do those things.

all jmo

That is what I thought all thru Grant Hayes trial. He is still not over it!

He sniffles all the time, even when he's not sick. He, like many of the rest of us in NC, have horrible sinus issues. I saw somebody on Twitter referring to him as Judge Sniffles and it bothered me. I'm very protective of the best just in NC, perhaps the entire US. I hope when he retires he can find the time to have sinus surgery.

I would think some kind of illegally disposing of a body change in addition to the acid dumping charge pending.

And Mr. Ackerson filed a wrongful death suit last summer against them.

It's comparatively easy to win a judgment or even negotiate a settlement.

Collecting, however, is another kettle of fish, a horse of a different color -- insert your metaphor of choice.

E.g., the Alexander family will easily prevail over the lying torture murderess in a civil suit.

But what will they ever hope to see from JA?

An over-used bottle of KY perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member