NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kinston, 13 July 2011 #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A friend of Laura posted a song on a facebook site that was just so fitting for our beautiful Laura. Its an older song by Christopher Cross and not so coincidentally (to me) came out the year Laura was born.
I went to youtube and found it with the lyrics and fitting pictures just for Laura.
Laura, Im so sorry that justice was not served. I'll try not to cry & listen to this song to remind me.

Christoper Cross - Think Of Laura - Lyrics Video - YouTube

I posted these lyrics after Grants conviction (in GH trial thread).
The song had been stuck in my head for Grants entire trial (which I was NOT happy about, pretty song, the lyrics fit, but not a song I would have in my collection!).

Yesterday I was relieved that she was convicted of murder. Today, I'm just pizzed about the verdict!

Also pizzed because she knows how to work the system to her advantage. She'll be kissing up to the guards to get special treatment. I hope she has brutal women guards who won't fall for her tricks. I hope her prison life is rough.

If there's a statute of limitations on any charges Texas can file against her, I wonder how they'll accomplish this? I would very much like to see her charged and convicted of those offenses here and serve the time for them, whether here or added onto her sentence in NC, hope Tx is thinking how to manage it.

They can do it while she's in prison -- it's done. Being a convict does not preclude someone from being arrested, for sure. I hope they do it -- and soon. At least they won't have to have investigators look for her -- "she ain't goin' nowhere."
icon10.gif

I finally got around to watching one of Grant's jailhouse interviews (with the orange-shirt Amanda woman). I agree with the poster yesterday who said she thinks their original plan was to roll up Laura in the rug and carry her down. Because in the interview, Grant says, you know, I just couldn't carry her down 3 flights of stairs by myself (explaining why they had to use the coolers). The way he said it, made me think he had tried it. That would explain why they didn't have the saw, plastic sheeting, coolers, etc., etc., ready before Laura got there. Their original plan didn't require any of that. Also, it makes sense that they wouldn't have planned out the dismemberment as their first choice, seeing as how messy it must have been and great risk for leaving evidence in the apartment. I would think people planning murders would first try to do the thing which would be the least messiest in order to leave the least evidence.

I don't know if it was because of this that the jury thought no pre-meditation on Amanda's part (maybe they couldn't figure out that they had to change plans, maybe they think the whole murder was not pre-meditated by anyone).

Or like someone yesterday said, it could be that they just didn't think there was evidence of Amanda pre-planning it, like there was with Grant.

I would think that they would have been able to get at Amanda pre-planning it with Grant, through circumstantial evidence.

1. Amanda was with him and participated in the murder in, we definately know, the middle and the end. Can't you circumstantially get to the point that she would have been with him in the beginning too? IDK.

2. Amanda lied during her testimony, even the jury agrees with that. She lied. Why would she lie if she hadn't planned it beforehand? Meaning, she wanted Laura to die. If she was not aware of the plan, and Grant killed her, she did not call 911 or do anything like that, instead she participated. Why? Why would she participate other than for the reason that she wanted Laura dead? If she wanted Laura dead, wouldn't it make sense that she would have been in on the plan with Grant?

I see that the jury knows she lied, and yet they don't draw circumstantial conclusions from those lies.....meaning WHY did she lie??

3. Amanda also had motivation for Laura to die. Grant was using her money for the court case. Grant was using her money in general. They were about to be required to pay child support. Grant had no job. Amanda had no job. They were broke. They have a small baby, and two boys who Grant still wanted to raise, which would require some type of money. They wanted to travel. Amanda had to move to N. Carolina. Etc.etc..

Those are the three big points I can think of, I'm sure there are more that I'm missing.

I really wish Boz and Becky had focused a little more on the pre-meditation aspect of it.

But maybe they didn't want to reach too far and confuse the jurors. Maybe they just didn't want a Not Guilty. I get that. Maybe it was the right decision for the prosecution after all, I mean, they get to put her away for at least some years.

:twocents:

Time to petition TX to indict her for the acid dumping when the time comes...

Does anyone know how this would work? Do you have to wait until after this murder sentence has been satisfied before the petition otherwise run the risk that the time for this will run concurrently? If the petition is filed in another say 8 years is there a statute of limitations that may have passed?

I agree that Grant Hayes' parents' home may not be the best place for the kids to grow up. Yes, they would be together, but it's obvious that Patsy still holds Grant in high esteem. If she blames Amanda for the murder and says Grant got caught up trying to protect her, then that's going to impact Lilly. She will grow up feeling it's all her mom's fault. That's not good. The boys grow up worshipping their dad in prison, but Lilly has to be shameful her mom caused it and their mom's death. I can't see that being good for any of the kids.

At least with Laura's dad, they may get more of a balanced look which is closer to the truth. They will all be able to read about it online when they are older, but by then the deep impressions will already be in their minds.

I would venture to say that Amanda will likely date (in her mind) in prison and find her a regular visitor who may visit and help her financially. Maybe even wait for her to get out. Ever see that show Prison Wives?

I predict she will likely get college degrees, help with the library, write poetry, a diary and have a long list of accomplishments by the time she's up for parole. That's my take on her personality type.

Have the 2 boys seen their grandfather (Rodger) at any point in the last 3 years? I do hope he'll be able to form a relationship with them at least, and have visitation.

He would never get custody of Lilly--he has no familial claim on Lilly. It would be a shame for the kids if they were broken up. I don't support that.

http://bit.ly/1ffAj8r

I see her inamorata has been moved since his incarceration to Elizabeth City, NC, near the coast.

He's currently in ADMIN SEG and has been a bad boy, 1 infraction for "disobeying orders."

Have the 2 boys seen their grandfather (Rodger) at any point in the last 3 years? I do hope he'll be able to form a relationship with them at least, and have visitation.

He would never get custody of Lilly--he has no familial claim on Lilly. It would be a shame for the kids if they were broken up. I don't support that.

If they are going to split them up, they should do it now while they are still younger. Rather than older, I think that would be even harder.

I do think the courts need to figure out some long-term solution for the kids and stick with that.

Oh yes. I misread that. I thought it was Amanda's dad who wanted LIlly. Nevermind. Still, I feel for Lilly because her dad will be held as high, but her mom labeled as evil. This has to be difficult for kids to handle as they grow up. Terrible dynamics to grow up with.

HLN doing a focus on the sentencing of Amanda.

http://bit.ly/1ffAj8r

I see her inamorata has been moved since his incarceration to Elizabeth City, NC, near the coast.

He's currently in ADMIN SEG and has been a bad boy, 1 infraction for "disobeying orders."

Since he has to work while in close custody, he probably broke a rule on purpose so he could be put into segregation where work is not permitted.

I love it that he has to work in prison. Probably his first job.

Also pizzed because she knows how to work the system to her advantage. She'll be kissing up to the guards to get special treatment. I hope she has brutal women guards who won't fall for her tricks. I hope her prison life is rough.

TY- true! That super high pitched harmless as a friendly mouse voice - what a riot,.

I finally got around to watching one of Grant's jailhouse interviews (with the orange-shirt Amanda woman). I agree with the poster yesterday who said she thinks their original plan was to roll up Laura in the rug and carry her down. Because in the interview, Grant says, you know, I just couldn't carry her down 3 flights of stairs by myself (explaining why they had to use the coolers). The way he said it, made me think he had tried it. That would explain why they didn't have the saw, plastic sheeting, coolers, etc., etc., ready before Laura got there. Their original plan didn't require any of that. Also, it makes sense that they wouldn't have planned out the dismemberment as their first choice, seeing as how messy it must have been and great risk for leaving evidence in the apartment. I would think people planning murders would first try to do the thing which would be the least messiest in order to leave the least evidence.

I don't know if it was because of this that the jury thought no pre-meditation on Amanda's part (maybe they couldn't figure out that they had to change plans, maybe they think the whole murder was not pre-meditated by anyone).

Or like someone yesterday said, it could be that they just didn't think there was evidence of Amanda pre-planning it, like there was with Grant.

I would think that they would have been able to get at Amanda pre-planning it with Grant, through circumstantial evidence.

1. Amanda was with him and participated in the murder in, we definately know, the middle and the end. Can't you circumstantially get to the point that she would have been with him in the beginning too? IDK.

2. Amanda lied during her testimony, even the jury agrees with that. She lied. Why would she lie if she hadn't planned it beforehand? Meaning, she wanted Laura to die. If she was not aware of the plan, and Grant killed her, she did not call 911 or do anything like that, instead she participated. Why? Why would she participate other than for the reason that she wanted Laura dead? If she wanted Laura dead, wouldn't it make sense that she would have been in on the plan with Grant?

I see that the jury knows she lied, and yet they don't draw circumstantial conclusions from those lies.....meaning WHY did she lie??

3. Amanda also had motivation for Laura to die. Grant was using her money for the court case. Grant was using her money in general. They were about to be required to pay child support. Grant had no job. Amanda had no job. They were broke. They have a small baby, and two boys who Grant still wanted to raise, which would require some type of money. They wanted to travel. Amanda had to move to N. Carolina. Etc.etc..

Those are the three big points I can think of, I'm sure there are more that I'm missing.

I really wish Boz and Becky had focused a little more on the pre-meditation aspect of it.

But maybe they didn't want to reach too far and confuse the jurors. Maybe they just didn't want a Not Guilty. I get that. Maybe it was the right decision for the prosecution after all, I mean, they get to put her away for at least some years.

:twocents:

Nicely set down, aa9511! Enjoyed Thanks

Since he has to work while in close custody, he probably broke a rule on purpose so he could be put into segregation where work is not permitted.

I love it that he has to work in prison. Probably his first job.

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

Also, I'm sure he attracts a lot of unwanted attention with his "feminine" looks.....:floorlaugh:

Oh wow. I just picked my son up from the library and took him to his friend's house and came home and there's a verdict! I'm okay with murder two but I'm so, so sad for Laura. Please someone tell me that those boys will be able to know her friends and family and get to learn how much she loved them and how hard she fought for them.

If WRAL throws up a video of the verdict and sentencing can someone link? I'd like to watch it.

Will she get to raise Lily one day? Open question. Probably if she and Grant are still lovey dovey in five years and his parents don't object. But let's not forget that Amanda has been convicted of committing murder in her daughter's presence. So if Grant's parents want to fight that, they probably have a decent case.

BBM

I'm playing catch up from yesterday, but I haven't seen this answered yet.

The female (lawyer?) at her table stated before AH's sentencing that AH's parental rights had been terminated for Lily.

Speaking as a parent who has terminated the other original biological parent's rights here in NC for my daughter, I can say AH stands a snowballs chance in he!! getting them back if she gets out before Lily is 18. Even without being a murderer. Once they're gone in NC, they're gone. She'll have to hope GH's parents will let her back into Lily's life.

BBM

I'm playing catch up from yesterday, but I haven't seen this answered yet.

The female (lawyer?) at her table stated before AH's sentencing that AH's parental rights had been terminated for Lily.

Speaking as a parent who has terminated the other original biological parent's rights here in NC for my daughter, I can say AH stands a snowballs chance in he!! getting them back if she gets out before Lily is 18. Even without being a murderer. Once they're gone in NC, they're gone. She'll have to hope GH's parents will let her back into Lily's life.

I'm not sure if she meant that Amanda had lost custody in favor of Patsy Grant or if Amanda's parental rights were terminated. There is some difference, but even if her rights have not been terminated, by the time Amanda is out of prison, it's unlikely her custody would go to Amanda again.

Some of the Jurors are speaking out on WTVD tonight at 6:00.

The foreman spoke, as did Jason Ackerson. There will be more on later editions.

Foreman said its a compromise verdict because they didn't want to end up a hung jury. Initial vote was 9 guilty of first degree murder, 2 Innocent, 1 undecided. Finally, 1 of the innocents said there was no other reasonable explanation (than murder).

More will follow. WTVD, TWC 1111.

I am biting my tongue.

The foreman spoke, as did Jason Ackerson. There will be more on later editions.

Foreman said its a compromise verdict because they didn't want to end up a hung jury. Initial vote was 9 guilty of first degree murder, 2 Innocent, 1 undecided. Finally, 1 of the innocents said there was no other reasonable explanation (than murder).

More will follow. WTVD, TWC 1111.

I am biting my tongue.

2 INNOCENT????!!!!!

(Sorry, I CANNOT bite my tongue).

2 INNOCENT??????!!!

COMPLETELY INNOCENT??!!

OMG.

What is the WORLD COMING TO???????

Even 1 UNDECIDED is hard to believe.

Please, I"m sorry, those 2 people need to crawl out of whatever rock they're living under and join the real world. They obviously have not seen anything except honest, upstanding people their whole lives and don't watch any news or even TV (since they believed Amanda!).

JMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState
Back