NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kinston, 13 July 2011 #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well, Miss Amanda is now officially in the NC Dept of Public Safety. Here's her most recent pic:

viewpicture.do

Ain't she sweet?!

Of course her record is far from complete. She's in the main women's prison here in Raleigh, NCCI. With the Death Row dames & all versions of the rest of 'em.

Here's a snap of her prison particulars so far. Her Control Status is "Admin. Segregation" right now (pity) since she is new meat.
icon10.gif
As soon as they find her a permanent sty, they will update her little record with the rest of the particulars.

She'll be poked & prodded both physically & mentally so that they can get an idea of what kind of slime they have to deal with. They'll find a spot (a little one, btw) where she'll be put and it's on with the show. That will take around 4--6 weeks. It's likely that she may stay right where she is.

NCNCIW.jpg

The only bling she'll be wearing is handcuffs and leg shackles.... Pity, that, huh?

240px-Standard_legirons_taiwan01.jpg

340px-Fetters_-_leg_irons_-_photomodel_Ina.jpg

Now, isn't that special!

Can I ditto all of this post?

I don't even know what "verklempt" means!

I too am just stunned at how it was at two extremes - so many for Murder in the 1st degree, and then all the way over on the way OTHER side - 2 for acquittal. And they watched the same trial. Or did they??

I am going to guess that those 2 and possibly the 1 undecided were heavily picked by the defense team for the specific reason that they thought they would be most likely to buy Amanda's story or have some kind of sympathy for Amanda - for one reason or another.
Verklempt is overcome with emotion, which the foreman seemed to be.

Well, Miss Amanda is now officially in the NC Dept of Public Safety. Here's her most recent pic:

viewpicture.do

Ain't she sweet?!

Of course her record is far from complete. She's in the main women's prison here in Raleigh, NCCI. With the Death Row dames & all versions of the rest of 'em.

Here's a snap of her prison particulars so far. Her Control Status is "Admin. Segregation" right now (pity) since she is new meat.
icon10.gif
As soon as they find her a permanent sty, they will update her little record with the rest of the particulars.

She'll be poked & prodded both physically & mentally so that they can get an idea of what kind of slime they have to deal with. They'll find a spot (a little one, btw) where she'll be put and it's on with the show. That will take around 4--6 weeks. It's likely that she may stay right where she is.

NCNCIW.jpg

The only bling she'll be wearing is handcuffs and leg shackles.... Pity, that, huh?

Now, isn't that special!

Sorry, borndem, I didn't see your post before posting her info. :seeya:

bbm. The foreman did use the words "innocent" and "acquitted" though, IIRC. Eventually the "innocents" were persuaded up.

Gaskins' said in his closing that she would get life for M1. I don't think that's allowed, as they're not to consider the sentence when deliberating, but it probably had significant bearing on the outcome. And that was just one of the liberties the defense took during the trial.

I waver between saying, "well at least she got murder," and wishing they had hung. I just can't believe 2 people could actually accept her bizarre and twisted explanation of events. She was caught in lies (eg, the machete in the car returning to a Raleigh).

Oh well. What's done is done.
I agree about Gaskins throwing in that life term remark. I served on a jury, drug case, and some were worried about if it was the defendants "third strike" - definitely not something we heard in trial, or were we to consider. He had a long record, but the charge we were considering was somewhat smaller than his rap sheet.

We found him guilty, and the judge sent us out before sentencing, so not sure what he received. But the sentence was not something we were to consider.

Gaskins used his experienced trickery with that remark, IMO.

And I agree, Boodles, it wasn't their duty to worry about a "hung jury", it was their duty to deliberate, and come to a conclusion based on the evidence before them. A hung jury would have been awful, but I believe that usually the DA gets convictions on the second try.

If there had been a hung jury, one of the considerations the state would go through is offering a plea bargain to avoid a 2nd trial. It's possible the DA would have offered a 2nd degree as a compromise plea. I have no idea if AH ever would have agreed to such a deal, but the conversation would have occurred on some level. We may have ended up with the same outcome in the end.

Ann Miller Kontz took a 2nd degree murder plea (which also included the conspiracy to commit murder) and as a result got a 25 yr sentence. She most likely would have been convicted of 1st degree murder. She had gotten the best attorney in the area (Wade Smith) which is probably why she was able to get the plea (I'm guessing).

Anyway, at least Hayes wasn't acquitted, she got more than a "slap on the wrist," she's not raising anyone's kids, including her own young child, she may also face more criminal litigation from TX, and she's pretty much fubar'd her future. When she does get out she'll be broke, she'll be in her 50's, released into a society that does not value middle-aged women, she'll have a teenaged daughter who is hitting a rebellion stage who she didn't raise and doesn't have custody of, she'll have aged, she won't have a career, and she'll always be a convicted felon, a murderer, and that will follow her forever.

If there had been a hung jury, one of the considerations the state would go through is offering a plea bargain to avoid a 2nd trial. It's possible the DA would have offered a 2nd degree as a compromise plea. I have no idea if AH ever would have agreed to such a deal, but the conversation would have occurred on some level. We may have ended up with the same outcome in the end.

Ann Miller Kontz took a 2nd degree murder plea (which also included the conspiracy to commit murder) and as a result got a 25 yr sentence. She most likely would have been convicted of 1st degree murder. She had gotten the best attorney in the area (Wade Smith) which is probably why she was able to get the plea (I'm guessing).

Anyway, at least Hayes wasn't acquitted, she got more than a "slap on the wrist," she's not raising anyone's kids, including her own young child, she may also face more criminal litigation from TX, and she's pretty much fubar'd her future. When she does get out she'll be broke, she'll be in her 50's, released into a society that does not value middle-aged women, she'll have a teenaged daughter who is hitting a rebellion stage who she didn't raise and doesn't have custody of, she'll have aged, she won't have a career, and she'll always be a convicted felon, a murderer, and that will follow her forever.
Good points, Madeline, and I've overcome my initial anger, nothing I can do about it, certainly.

I must agree with your comments about "middle aged women" not only in society, but some on this forum! 51 is
young by my standards, and if healthy, she'll have a lot of years of life to enjoy once she is released. Middle age is when children are grown, the joy of grandchildren come on the scene, you become free again - as you were before you pursued a career, a family, etc.

Of course, she will have very difficult circumstances once she's released, but with her track record, she might snag another husband and carry on as if nothing happened.

But I'm happy at least she'll always be branded a felon and murderer.

viewpicture.do

Ain't she sweet?!

icon10.gif

NCNCIW.jpg

Now, isn't that special!

I see she is not wearing her favorite color baby pink! lol :floorlaugh:

News Headline, "Prosecutor says Houston police crucial part of N.C. dismemberment conviction"

snipped:

"Boz Zellinger, a prosecutor in the case, said he was impressed by the work of Fort Bend County officials, the Richmond Fire Department and the Houston Police Department dive team."

"We never could have gotten this conviction without their hard work," Zellinger said. "To work such long hours on a case to help a woman from North Carolina meant a lot to our detectives. They did an amazing job at pulling together evidence."

"Amanda Hayes, 41, was found guilty of second-degree murder Feb. 19 in the death of Laura Jean Ackerson in July 2011 and was sentenced to 13 to 16 years in prison. The four-week trial began Jan. 21 in Wake County Superior Court in Raleigh, N.C."

"Hayes was accused of helping her husband, Grant Ruffin Hayes, kill and dispose of his 27-year-old former girlfriend and the mother of his two sons. Grant Hayes was tried and convicted in September and is now serving a life sentence in prison."

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/f...ys-Houston-police-crucial-part-of-5252938.php

article tells of the steps law enforcement took in order to find LA.

RIP Laura. This was a tragic thing these two evil person did. JMO

Considering the facts of the case, I think an M2 conviction was the most any jury would reasonably agree on. I think the verdict is a victory for the state and for LA's family; AH has been called out for her disgusting, horrendous crimes, and she is being punished.
For me, at least, this was not an open-and-shut M1 case. IMO, an M1 verdict would have require some degree of speculation, and we have seen whole juries unwilling to apply even the most basic conjecture - even when it seemed reasonable and imparative to do so.
She will not do much time, but it should be some compensation that her life is ruined; when she's released she'll have a serious criminal record, no money, substantial debt, and no recent work history. She's also lost her baby, will have missed 15 years of Sha's life, appears to be alienated from much of her family, and will likely be reviled by whatever community she enters upon release. AH life sucks now. AH life is going to suck later.

I have been on a jury for murder. After our verdict..2nd degree..I was very frustrated to learn about all the info we did not allowed to know. Given that, I think this jury worked hard and made the right choice given what they knew. I trust most juries..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow! Should have edited my last post. Just wanted to put my two cents into the discussion. I think our jury system is the best..However jury instructions really hurt the process..too much legal talk and not enough common sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think I am seeing things? You know at the bottom of the main page where is show all the stats, members online, BD's, anniversary's, New members, etc.

Well I scrolled down and saw a new member name Amandaisinnocent? I tried clicking on it and it said I didn't have privileges. So I went to members to search not there. That name is gone. I know I saw it did they change their mind?

I think I am seeing things? You know at the bottom of the main page where is show all the stats, members online, BD's, anniversary's, New members, etc.

Well I scrolled down and saw a new member name Amandaisinnocent? I tried clicking on it and it said I didn't have privileges. So I went to members to search not there. That name is gone. I know I saw it did they change their mind?

Maybe changed their mind.... :dunno:
No telling which Amanda either. Could be Hayes, could be Knox, could be another accused Amanda I do not know of!
(Or maybe just someone named Amanda who thinks she herself is "innocent" :giggle: )

Maybe changed their mind.... :dunno:
No telling which Amanda either. Could be Hayes, could be Knox, could be another accused Amanda I do not know of!
(Or maybe just someone named Amanda who thinks she herself is "innocent" :giggle: )

You are so right it could of been any Amanda or not even an Amanda just someone that believe's a Amanda is innocent. :floorlaugh:

I just thought it was odd, and I am like you they changed their mind! After the Levi Chavez trial though nothing would surprise me. I don't think it was a real Amanda!

What a trip though!

jmo

Sorry, borndem, I didn't see your post before posting her info. :seeya:

I'm kinda glad you didn't since I forgot to put the link in for going to the NCDPS info on her which you so thoughtfully linked!

ʼa dʼanq
icon12.gif

Yikes. But I have a feeling Amanda will do just fine in prison. The real Amanda is a leader, a take charge kind of person.

From a couple of "Lockdown" shows about women's prisons that I have seen -- one of them being the one that Madeleine74 linked for us, and it is worth the viewing -- there is definitely a hierarchy in which AH will have to go through, starting at the bottom. She will NOT just sashay in there and take charge...

In a dorm setting -- who knoze if she'll wind up in one of those -- there is a family structure with a mama & a papa and children, and that is something that is earned through time & tuffness. We'll never know & we already do not give a dayam.
icon6.gif

:jail:All we care about is that she is in the slammer! :jail:

bbm. The foreman did use the words "innocent" and "acquitted" though, IIRC. Eventually the "innocents" were persuaded up.

Gaskins' said in his closing that she would get life for M1. I don't think that's allowed, as they're not to consider the sentence when deliberating, but it probably had significant bearing on the outcome. And that was just one of the liberties the defense took during the trial.

I waver between saying, "well at least she got murder," and wishing they had hung. I just can't believe 2 people could actually accept her bizarre and twisted explanation of events. She was caught in lies (eg, the machete in the car returning to a Raleigh).

Oh well. What's done is done.

I think the 2 definately thought she was, either wholly or partially, influenced by Grant and made to do things by Grant. In the beginning, IMO, they believed her story that she didn't know about the body until Texas, and that at that point, Grant made her do stuff and she was afraid of going to prison, etc..

Then, when the other jurors pointed out holes in her story, the 2 jurors conceded that yes, she knew about the murder and body before Texas. The Foreman said, IIRC, that they realized this eventually.

But I think what led to the M2, is that they still believed that she was influenced and made to do things by Grant. Only now, starting at an earlier time.

Good points, Madeline, and I've overcome my initial anger, nothing I can do about it, certainly.

I must agree with your comments about "middle aged women" not only in society, but some on this forum! 51 is
young by my standards, and if healthy, she'll have a lot of years of life to enjoy once she is released. Middle age is when children are grown, the joy of grandchildren come on the scene, you become free again - as you were before you pursued a career, a family, etc.

Of course, she will have very difficult circumstances once she's released, but with her track record, she might snag another husband and carry on as if nothing happened.

But I'm happy at least she'll always be branded a felon and murderer.

Yes, I agree. I don't think it's right at all that she gets to come out at age 51. I think she'll pick right back up where she left off. :banghead:

Lilly will be a teenager. Only a few more years left before she hits 18 and goes off to college or out of her own- so convenient for Amanda. I think Amanda would rather have it this way - someone else do the "hard" part of the raising, she comes in at the end and sends them off so she can enjoy her freedom. Doesn't have to actually deal with her children.

She will move away from North Carolina to somewhere where no one knows her name and no one knows anything about Laura or Grant or anything. She will gnab a wealthy man, maybe a divorcee who is looking to marry again. But we know he'll be wealthy, because Amanda will need the money and that's who she'll target.

She might even change her name to make it harder for people to trace her history. SHe won't introduce him to her family (so he doesn't get word of what she did). She'll pretend like she's too busy to introduce him to her family.

We know she doesn't need relationships, like with Karen or even Sha. I'm sure she'll have no trouble cutting off those contacts, and basically starting a brand new life and identity. I think she'll actually adjust quite well, because she just sees relationships for what she can get out of it. Other human beings and human relationships don't mean anything to her like they do to you or me.

The only person she'll have to be tethered to is Lilly, but in a few years, she'll be gone to.

Oh, I think someone like Amanda will have no problem moving on with her life.

:banghead::banghead:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState
Back