NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kinston, 13 July 2011 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Huh?

He sentenced her to min 157 and maximum 198 months in prison.

Me x 2 :)

NC

Although I will say both courthouses were much older than the one being used right now in Raleigh.

Good question, Anon.

The one here in Raleigh, Wake Co., is brand, spanking new -- less than a year old, but I don't know how the jury rooms are configured.

157 is minimum, hmm. Still not enough, and I wanted to see her cuffed! What gall in her comments!

Ok he sentenced her to a min and a max? what does that mean? Was that the sentencing or does he determine that at a separate time?

So 13 yrs to 16.5 yrs. is her sentence. I guess she'll be eligible for parole at some point as well.

Not nearly enough for what she did, but better than nothing and she'll always be a convicted murderer. She'll be in her 50's when she gets out. No money, no future, her looks will have faded.

IMO she could have saved her life, but she instead chose to participate in the killing. (Judge's words)

I don't know. SO does he think it was an accident? Or does he think only Grant planned it and killed her?

I think both of them killed her.

I be very very confused now.

IMO Amanda Hayes got off light and I blame it on the State and how BH dropped the ball in questioning the defendant. And then the State forgets to put aggravating factor/s so that the verdcit of murder2 could have a longer sentence. Who drops the ball in a murder/dismemberment case? This isn't jaywalking.

Would you rather had the jury find her Not Guilty?

I am not happy either!

The jury obviously put no weight on Patricia Barakat's testimony and appeared to have some sympathy for AH or at least gave her the benefit of any doubt they did have. I would have voted for M1, personally.

Disgusting, and I feel bad for Laura's family.

RIP Sweet Laura. More Justice will come another day..

Would you rather had the jury find her Not Guilty?

I am not happy either!

I'm ok with the murder 2 conviction. She was convicted. No hung jury and no not guilty verdict. I can live with it.

I didn't expect to cry, dammit. Everyone tried their best.

I had looked at the sentences for Accessory After the Fact and it seemed like it was close to that for a murder conviction. I just looked at the presumptive range for Murder 2 and it's lower than I had thought. So,......I think the defense team has to be pleased at the outcome...considering Amanda's story.

What really makes me sad is I will unlikely ever see Judge Stephens again.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back