NC - Lauren Hugelmaier, 29, stabbed to death, Raleigh, 1 Sept 2017 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I can't imagine the emotions his first wife must be going through right now. I would be horrified.

https://www.theknot.com/us/lauren-hugelmaier-and-matt-phelps-nov-2016
The couple has a page on The Knot website outlining their background and courtship. Lots of pics with her looking adoringly at him and him grinning at the camera. I see complete narcissist!

In so many pics of the couple -- those on The knot, and many others -- she looks like she's in total love with him & he looks a bit uncomfortable -- no real big grins, no excited looks, just kind of blah. SMH.

In so many pics of the couple -- those on The knot, and many others -- she looks like she's in total love with him & he looks a bit uncomfortable -- no real big grins, no excited looks, just kind of blah. SMH.

wow, the pictures on TheKnot site speak volumes IMO. And the text there too... who wrote that? And also ZZzzzzzz.... it's bland and quite frankly, TLDR... and hello, breaks, paragraphs, and elephants in the room.

IMO of course.

wow, the pictures on TheKnot site speak volumes IMO. And the text there too... who wrote that? And also ZZzzzzzz.... it's bland and quite frankly, TLDR... and hello, breaks, paragraphs, and elephants in the room.

IMO of course.
And even the engagement story is creepy! She was sick and not feeling good but he insisted on following through with "his plans"! That's a narcissist.

This doesn't look like him. Are you sure?

The profile photo is Patrick Bateman (Christian Bale), a fictional character from American Psycho. Which is chilling, considering what he did and the time he did it. Patrick Bateman is a businessman by day and a sadistic serial killer by night. It's a horror comedy and can be pretty disturbing.

But the most disturbing part about this movie in connection to this case... discussion surrounds whether Patrick Bateman actually commits these horrible murders or are they just delusional dream like hallucinations he has?!?!

Btw the movie is based on a book.

But here is an explanation.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Psycho_(film)

The profile photo is Patrick Bateman (Christian Bale), a fictional character from American Psycho. Which is chilling, considering what he did and the time he did it. Patrick Bateman is a businessman by day and a sadistic serial killer by night. It's a horror comedy and can be pretty disturbing.

But the most disturbing part about this movie in connection to this case... discussion surrounds whether Patrick Bateman actually commits these horrible murders or are they just delusional dream like hallucinations he has?!?!

Oh brother. This is disturbing. I guess I'm really out of the pop culture loop. Last night I learned about Nine Inch Nails and another band...today American Psycho. #crawlingbackinmycave

Ah thank you I did not recognize the profile pic although I've watched the movie. Yes it is a disturbing and confusing movie but it fits right into MP's interest in dreams and altered states. When he chose this photo as his profile picture maybe he knew something is wrong with him.

IMO of course.

Plus, the black background. The letters started dancing in front of my eyes and I really had to strain them to continue reading.

Wow, that Tumbler - it sounds like he really resents women in general and he doesn't seem to see any of these ex girlfriends as individuals. And it is not a natural female trait to lie on bed with one new boyfriend daydreaming about baby names which happen to be the name of the next boyfriend. The moral of the story seems to be that "girls" will mislead and betray him, and that these girls went into the relationship prepared to leave him for someone else (name already selected) once they got the opportunity, but as a back-up plan they would name his baby after the other man.
Then he finally met someone who genuinely adored him, but I think his general dislike and contempt for women would eventually have sunk in to her. Especially if she's talking babies and maybe baby names...

I noticed on his IG account that back when he was still with his ex, Lauren was "liking" his posts on IG. Based on their wedding website, it sounded to me like they started dating shortly after they reconnected so that seemed odd to me.

It also seems odd to me that not long after they got married he stopped posting much on Instagram and posted almost nothing about her.

Lauren seems like such a sweet girl and I can't help but think maybe she was a bit naive when it came to MP. She just seems so optimistic/happy/hopeful and maybe that caused her to overlook some pretty obvious red flags.

One of my thoughts about his true motive (conscious or unconscious) is that maybe he was jealous of her. She clearly had tons of friends, a great job AND the successful scentsy business, etc. and he was making most of his friends via Instagram and probably wasn't headed towards his dream job in his current profession.

This should be an interesting trial, no doubt.

Yes, yes -- IMO, I've felt for a while that the jealousy bit may play a big part -- she went to a "regular" university -- thousands of students (close to 20,000 now); and yes, she had many friends -- it was apparently easy for her to make friends; she was a professional, working for a major company, prolly with very good benefits & a good salary -- all things he isn't and hasn't. He, for whatever reason, lost his job at Uber, and is working at a lawn care center -- nothing wrong with that, but it isn't a job in his field; etc., etc. I can't imagine that Lauren "lorded it" over him, but he certainly knew it and it was just one more failure in his life. He may have had much more resentment against her (and perhaps her family) that he would acknowledge to himself until all of this, plus a likely (IMO) sexual uneasiness achieved a critical mass on that horrible night.

The Marty_radical IG account is incredibly disturbing. Pics of him smoking, suicidal ideation... he seems to have so much anger. And he idolized Patrick Bateman which is horrifying.

What the heck happened to this kid after they got married???

Hmm.

So I have only ever posted relating to the UK terrorist attacks earlier this year, but the circumstances of this caught my eye.

All I can say is from my own experience of the effects of delirium following overdose - though in my case very different: I have never touched any drugs recreationally, but took a massive dose of [a very common antihistamine which you can buy in any pharmacy here] in a serious attempt to end my life.

Now in my incident, I woke up 36 hours later in an Intensive Care Unit. This is my first thought here: Is there knowledge of whether this person was checked out medically after the incident? It would seem odd that someone could take enough of a cough syrup to induce hallucinations/delirium/loss of any control and police or paramedics not want that person checked over, even just from their own point of view to prevent potential harm in custody? From reading the effects of the drug he took, it has potential to be fatal, or at the very least to cause serious harm at very high levels.

I absolutely without a doubt know that you can have absolutely no control or awareness of what you do whilst experiencing delirium. The first thing I was told after I regained consciousness was not to be scared, but that I had a lot of bruises because the police officers who accompanied me to hospital had had to restrain me so hard (apparently because I did not treatment) because I was so combative, agitated and confused as a result of said medication - never in any trouble for this, because police said they absolutely knew that it was a result of being very very medically ill. I am not ever in any way aggressive, violent, it's about as far from 'me' as you could possibly get, but I am told I fought incredibly hard. So absolutely drugs can cause extreme behaviour.

In my experience, that behaviour, following medication-induced delirium, was still very very confused and 'unusual' behaviour. Whilst I have no memory whatsoever of it, I came home to find things like my duvet in the middle of the floor, a contact lens solution bottle on top of the fridge, things which I had quite clearly done but made no sense. Somehow the level of 'premeditation' or 'awareness' required to go and get something from its rightful place, return to the 'right' room, and do something seems higher. That said, we know people sleepwalk and do very 'normal' or 'routine' things with no awareness, so...? (Just, in my experience, medication-induced delirium is extremely different from anything close to sleepwalking or dreaming).

My final thought: Reactions afterwards? I don't know. I know when I regained consciousness, I couldn't have made any suggestion as to what had happened - the loss of control and loss of memory/awareness is such that it is literally a total blank. But for someone who says he had 'heard it was a good feeling/would help sleep', it is a remarkably 'controlled' reaction to coming to (if that makes sense?) Personally I was absolutely terrified at 'coming to' with a complete blank of a period of time (not knowing what time/day it is, what has happened, how you got to where you are, the realisation that you can do something whilst having absolutely no awareness or memory of it is...in itself extremely traumatic). I was distraught afterwards at even the thought that I was resistant enough for police to have to restrain me so hard as they did. The reaction in this case is unusual, to say the least. Though again, grief, trauma, confusion, shock, can do odd things to a person, so...

This is just my experience (and of a different drug, which I appreciate may be completely different). But medication-induced delirium/hallucination/loss of awareness is not something most will experience, so I hope it is useful to understand a little about what it can actually feel like...and how people may or may not react to it...

[Oops, apologies for essay!]

What I don't understand at all is "if" he has had strange (and weird) dreams for nearly his entire life (and supposedly so did his grandmother and mother, if I remember right) .... why would he take a medication in excess that he surely knew would increase the chance for hallucinations? I am quite confident that he knew exactly what he was messing around with by taking it ... but why would he want to enhance such dreams?

Just voicing my thoughts .... not really expecting anyone to have any answer. This guy is a curiosity to me.

I don't get the impression that he was particularly ambitious, but Lauren definitely was. she wanted her own business for several years --- that might be why she got into the Scentsy stuff, and felt she was on her way.

Yes, yes -- IMO, I've felt for a while that the jealousy bit may play a big part -- she went to a "regular" university -- thousands of students (close to 20,000 now); and yes, she had many friends -- it was apparently easy for her to make friends; she was a professional, working for a major company, prolly with very good benefits & a good salary -- all things he isn't and hasn't. He, for whatever reason, lost his job at Uber, and is working at a lawn care center -- nothing wrong with that, but it isn't a job in his field; etc., etc. I can't imagine that Lauren "lorded it" over him, but he certainly knew it and it was just one more failure in his life. He may have had much more resentment against her (and perhaps her family) that he would acknowledge to himself until all of this, plus a likely (IMO) sexual uneasiness achieved a critical mass on that horrible night.

Yes! Agree with all of this. Did you follow the Jamie Hahn case? Jamie was my friend and I imagine MP felt about Lauren like Jon Broyhill felt about Jamie(minus the romantic aspect in their case). Both men really struggled to keep a job and to make friends and they ended up murdering their biggest supporters who they witnessed experience many professional and personal successes.

I didn't realize he got fired from uber. That seems like it'd be hard to do?? Does anyone have anymore details on that??

Wow that second IG changes things. I definitely see a change in personality. He seems to have lost his faith in god. Talks a lot about keeping up appearances but feeling dead inside, hence the American Psycho quotes. I wonder if he was in therapy.

bbm I'm interested, why do you think so? Couldn't his defense team say, "yes MP thought that he killed his wife because he had been taking the cough meds and had been hallucinating, but a window in the apartment was open and someone could have entered ..." Just to instil reasonable doubt?

Absolutely -- the defense could suggest that, and it only takes one juror to hang it and then another trial or a plea. I don't know what the investigators may have found when they looked through the house -- the weather was warm, so all windows could have been closed & locked, but we don't know about that yet. A key under the doormat, or back door unlocked? Perhaps.

Yes, it's all about doubt -- but he did say "I think I did it," (or close to those words), and he had blood on his clothes/pjs, and he wouldn't go over to her because he was scared to get close to her. Now, I don't know what I would do if I woke up to that scene, but I surely know I would be doing CPR while I called 911.

It's gonna be a good one, isn't it?

Thank you AM75!

It looks like this one is more recent than the previous one? The August posts show a disturbed mind imo.

His Tumblr account is very disturbing as well. Lots of talk about dreams, nightmares, and sleepwalking. I will be interested to see what the autopsy says about TOD and how many times she was stabbed. This case is going to be crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow that second IG changes things. I definitely see a change in personality. He seems to have lost his faith in god. Talks a lot about keeping up appearances but feeling dead inside, hence the American Psycho quotes. I wonder if he was in therapy.

Yes I also wondered whether he ever sought help for all his anguish. And if so, was he diagnosed?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackojohnnie
Back