NC - Lauren Hugelmaier, 29, stabbed to death, Raleigh, 1 Sept 2017 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is his tumblr: https://hypnopomattic.tumblr.com

Interesting post about his relationship history and the rest are mainly about his dreams. He clearly has a fixation with dreams which is interesting given what he said about waking up from a dream. I wonder if these "dreams" he wrote about were fueled by cough medicine as well. He mentions being able to control his dreams sometimes.

So bizarre.
There's a Psychology PHD thesis there, just waiting to be written!

One of his gf's wouldn't kiss him before marriage? I wonder if their being his gf's was a figment of his imagination.

It's bugging me that Cheshire is his attorney. If this is premeditated murder, I don't want him getting away with it. Cheshire is good.

Q for y'all. Is such obsession with Star Wars, batman, or whatever fantasy characters he posts about on instagram normal for a 28 year old man? It seems immature, IMHO.

Maybe his entire life was happening online and Lauren got fed up with his lack of contribution to the realities of life and that was the cause of their friction.

One of his gf's wouldn't kiss him before marriage? I wonder if their being his gf's was a figment of his imagination.

It's bugging me that Cheshire is his attorney. If this is premeditated murder, I don't want him getting away with it. Cheshire is good.

Q for y'all. Is such obsession with Star Wars, batman, or whatever fantasy characters he posts about on instagram normal for a 28 year old man? It seems immature, IMHO.

Maybe his entire life was happening online and Lauren got fed up with his lack of contribution to the realities of life and that was the cause of their friction.

Like I said before, I don't think there's anything wrong with people having passions. I personally really like video games and star wars as well, but I really don't talk about it much unless someone wants to talk about it. In my opinion if I met a 28 year old man that was as obsessed with star wars and comics as Matt id probably run the other direction. I also agree w/ you about the girl maybe not really being his GF.

It's a possibility, but as a Raleigh native, I'd be very surprised to see a Wake County prosecutor seek the death penalty.

I agree. The last death penalty handed down by a jury in Wake County, which is where this case will be tried, was in July of 2007. I will be very surprised if the death penalty is sought in this case. The last death penalty sentence that was carried out in North Carolina was on August 18, 2006.

http://abc11.com/news/is-the-death-penalty-dead-in-wake-county/1787906/

The parts about tension between the couple and MP losing his job were in the video portion, reported by Amanda Lamb, of WRAL. BTW, Amanda was the author of a book about the murder of Nancy Cooper, by her husband, Brad, in Cary, a few years ago. I see another book coming in the future.

She quit the true crime genre after the Cooper book, said that would be her last one in that genre.

She quit the true crime genre after the Cooper book, said that would be her last one in that genre.

This case may cause her to change her mind. I think she will most likely be the main reporter covering it for WRAL, and if she doesn't write it, someone else will.

So a few things stood out to me so far. Why did they get married in November if they were originally planning to get married end of December? The engagement pictures have save the date pics with the date December 31 but they got married in November. Seems kind of strange. Typically you wouldn't take save the date pictures before actually making solid plans for a day, like reserving spaces, etc. Another thing is that he went to a conservative Baptist college. If he did in fact want to become a pastor, his divorce probably ruined that for him. I used to attend a conservative Baptist church and they would not allow you to even get married in the church if you had been married before. I witnessed two hopeful pastors go through some life changes that excluded them from becoming pastors and they both went downhill quickly, as far as going from faithful church goers to struggling with substance abuse, seemingly at the loss of their dream of being pastors, or rather, all they had ever known, and they rebelled big time.

Thanks it was in the first hour and I could edit but not delete. Maybe it's Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had this same problem a couple days ago within the first hour, like immediately after I posted and tried to delete one minute later.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

A defense attorney of Joe Cheshire's caliber would require a huge retainer up front, especially in such a complex and serious case that is likely to go to trial. Interesting that his family was able to afford that.

You're right -- Cheshire gets big bucks. I have no idea what "big bucks" in a 1st deg. murder case. Does anyone have any knowledge of what a high-priced atty gets for something like this? I would really want to know what kind of fee is charged.

At least $200K and maybe upwards of $400K or more, depending on complexity of case, number of experts needed, additional counsel needed, and length of case. A high end top attorney might be billing out at $400+ per hour unless a deal is cut and a flat amount is contracted.

Here is information on his lead attorney. He has one of the very best. If anyone can get him off, it is Joe Cheshire.

https://cheshireparker.com/our-lawyers/joseph-blount-cheshire-v

Or get a 2nd degree murder out of it -- no LWOP. That can certainly be considered a win in many cases. In this one, the possibility of an intruder committing this act is obviously not feasible.

In NC, 2nd Deg Murder is a Class B1 Felony --
With no prior felony point (Phelps doesn't have any), this is the range of time in months:

Aggravated.......240 - 300
Presumptive.....192 - 240
Mitigated..........144 - 192

So anywhere from 12 years to 25 years.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/statutes/statutelookup.pl?statute=14
[url]http://www.nccourts.org/Courts/CRS/Councils/spac/Documents/FelonyChart_1013MaxChart.pdf

[/URL]

The parts about tension between the couple and MP losing his job were in the video portion, reported by Amanda Lamb, of WRAL. BTW, Amanda was the author of a book about the murder of Nancy Cooper, by her husband, Brad, in Cary, a few years ago. I see another book coming in the future.
Thanks so much for directing me to the video.Very interesting too that Amanda Lamb wrote about Brad Cooper. I remember following that case. He was quite a piece of work. Think your observation about this case being written about in a book, sounds likely. There are elements unique to MP's claims that have already made this case one getting national exposure.

Amanda Lamb stated she would not be writing about murder cases again. She said it was too depressing and required being in a dark place, and she didn't want that in her life. She said this, in person, Dec 2011, right after the Cooper book came out. I asked her if she'd be writing about the Young case and she said she would not. It's been almost 6 years since she said "no more true crime." She has written other books, but they've been on more uplifting topics.

Or get a 2nd degree murder out of it -- no LWOP. That can certainly be considered a win in many cases. In this one, the possibility of an intruder committing this act is obviously not feasible.

In NC, 2nd Deg Murder is a Class B1 Felony --
With no prior felony point (Phelps doesn't have any), this is the range of time in months:

Aggravated.......240 - 300
Presumptive.....192 - 240
Mitigated..........144 - 192

So anywhere from 12 years to 25 years.

For some reason, I think Joe Cheshire would have offered his services on this case, even if the family couldn't afford him. This seems to be right up his alley....very high-profile, national exposure,,,but someone else upthread reported that MP's mom may be a Nurse Practitioner, and dad (or maybe stepdad) may be a doctor. Not sure if that has been confirmed.

Wow great sleuthing and analysing you guys! Very interesting.

I agree that it seems he has had psychological/emotional/mental problems for some time.

In his post, Without a Face, he mentions that he lived with his grandparents for the first 13 years of his life. I assumed he meant that he and his mom lived there, but he said he then went to live with his parents. And it seems perhaps he followed a girl to that bible college. From reading some of those posts, I would say this guy has had some serious issues for quite a while. I also think all these girls that he tried to make lives with were all able to see what he was, and may still be, trying to hide from himself, about himself. MOO

What do you think he is hiding from himself?

Agreed! His rush to get married to every girl he dates is a bit alarming. He said he and his first wife only dated for 10months before they got married! And it sounds to me like he lacks true passion for these women, but that's just my take. He never says anything about being heart broken or sad/depressed/angry after any of the breakups he discusses. Even his Instagram posts about Lauren seem almost like they are for show rather than being truly genuine.

Either way, he clearly has had some mental health issues for a long time now. It will be interesting to see how all this plays out during the trial.

bbm I had that feeling when looking at their photos on the wedding page. A lot of smiling and posing but it seemed a bit superficial and immature to me.

bbm Agree, and maybe she asked him to spend less time online and on sm and that's why his IG posts stopped shortly after they got married. Honeymoon was over by then. He complied but secretly built up resentment. I think, from all I've read so far, that this marriage was not a happy one imo. Shattered dreams I think. The reality of marriage was not what he had imagined. jmo

Are there any recent photos of both of them?

He does look shattered in the video in this article.

I'm on the fence whether this was a premeditated murder or a loss of control and outburst of anger and resentment helped by the use of excessive amounts of DMX. But as I said before, imo he's responsible either way.

The trial will be very interesting to follow.

I have no idea what kind of social media page this is, but Lauren is so open and happy and always boasting about her hubby (I think it has something to do with Instagram?). She is quite the fashionista!
http://www.djll.us/user/hugelmaierla

and his page: http://www.djll.us/user/uncanny_matty#

She looks so happy and sweet. She posts personal pictures and thoughts. He posts movie "stuff". It is like he didn't want to live in reality, but rather live in movie fantasy.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NellyKim
Back