NC - Lauren Hugelmaier, 29, stabbed to death, Raleigh, 1 Sept 2017 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't think his defense is going to fly. It doesn't matter if he was high on cough medicine. He voluntarily took it, he took it recreationally and not because he had a cold or was sick, and it's no different then a DUI. He is still culpable, his wife is still dead, and he did it. He doesn't get a free pass in my eyes.

Also, maybe after the first divorce, if he lost assets in that divorce, he might not have wanted to lose anything else with a second divorce. Much like Drew Peterson. Either that or he did have one divorce, if he wanted to pursue a clergy job, that divorce was going to be a hurdle. Two? Now way.

IMO, he either had a life insurance policy to collect on, or had a girlfriend and wife was in the way, or he's gay. Pick one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. If your or my son, killed their wife in such a horrendous manner, although we would still love him as our son, I would really hope that we would face reality, as heartbreaking is it is and expect him to take responsibility for his actions.

Sadly, they probably believe his cold medicine story and don't think their dear boy could possibly be responsible for murdering his wife. It was the drug, ya know. I feel for his parents. They must be in shock and honest disbelief, so they're doing what they can for him at the moment. They may have mortgaged their house for the attorney. But yes, at some point they will come face to face with reality, and I hope they will expect him to take responsibility. But in the cases I've observed, parents seem to have a blind spot when it comes to their murdering kids who are being treated "unfairly."

Yeah. If your or my son, killed their wife in such a horrendous manner, although we would still love him as our son, I would really hope that we would face reality, as heartbreaking is it is and expect him to take responsibility for his actions.
I agree about holding him responsible for his homicidal act. Waiting to find out the motive. As quickly as Lauren's family erased MT out of the picture, by not including his name in her obituary & using her maiden name, speaks volumes to me. I have a feeling her family didn't like him, before Lauren's murder, but tolerated him due to her love for him.

I agree about holding him responsible for his homicidal act. Waiting to find out the motive. As quickly as Lauren's family erased MT out of the picture, by not including his name in her obituary & using her maiden name, speaks volumes to me. I have a feeling her family didn't like him, before Lauren's murder, but tolerated him due to her love for him.
Probably some controlling behaviour or worse.

This couple reminds me of a very religious couple I know.
I think this case will throw us for a loop... not the conventional motives.
Of course I could be wrong and it could totally be another Lori Hacking case.

I noticed on his IG account that back when he was still with his ex, Lauren was "liking" his posts on IG. Based on their wedding website, it sounded to me like they started dating shortly after they reconnected so that seemed odd to me.

It also seems odd to me that not long after they got married he stopped posting much on Instagram and posted almost nothing about her.

Lauren seems like such a sweet girl and I can't help but think maybe she was a bit naive when it came to MP. She just seems so optimistic/happy/hopeful and maybe that caused her to overlook some pretty obvious red flags.

One of my thoughts about his true motive (conscious or unconscious) is that maybe he was jealous of her. She clearly had tons of friends, a great job AND the successful scentsy business, etc. and he was making most of his friends via Instagram and probably wasn't headed towards his dream job in his current profession.

This should be an interesting trial, no doubt.

It is interesting that their wedding profile reveals that he was short of close friends. As someone else mentioned, he only knew one of the groomsmen from online, and another one was his future brother-in-law, so someone he only knew through Lauren, although the other groomsmen were a college friend and a high school friend.

mod note: The "victim friendly" rule extends to the family members of victims and suspects. Sleuthing family members, friends, and others who have not been designated as suspects is not allowed.Don't make random accusations, suggest their involvement, nor bash and attack them. Posting their personal information, including names, addresses, and background data -- even if it is public -- is not allowed.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?65798-Etiquette-amp-Information

http://www.wral.com/-there-s-a-lot-to-this-story-attorney-says-of-cough-medicine-defense/16929374/

A few things struck me from this story. First, "there were hints of problems in the form of dark posts on Instagram in the months since he lost his job". What was his job, and when and how did he lose it? Was he laid off, or was he let go? If so, why? I assume he did not voluntarily quit, from the wording used. I read that, when this happened, he was working for a lawn service, but according to the post, he was driving for Uber. Wonder if anyone local that has ever ridden with him knows anything about him? Also, the reporter in the story said "there was tension between the couple". Anyone want to bet at least part of the tension was over her having to carry the financial load while he worked at odd jobs? She had said in her Scentsy profile that she would love to be a stay at home momma. It has been said that although he graduated from a bible college with a degree in ministry, he was not preparing to be a minister, so what WERE his plans? Did he have any, or was he another of these guys content to let his wife support him??

I just finished catching up on the most recent season of Criminal Minds, so this episode is fresh in my mind...it's episode 17 of last season, titled In The Dark.
Long story short the "unsub" is killing people in his sleep. He is able to walk to all these different houses, gain access, stab the occupants, go home, clean up, and wake without any recollection. It's not until he is woken during the act that he freaks out and starts to unravel.

IMO, someone who wakes in this state...I cannot see being calm and rational. Regardless of their current medicative state. But I gave up truly understanding people a long time ago.

I wonder if he watches this show? There are obvious differences but it's a bit creepy as to the parallels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am I allowed to link is tumblr? He wrote about his relationship history in one post

A knife of some type, but we do not know if it was a kitchen knife, a hunting knife, or something else.
Dont be surprised if this case turns into the sleepwalking defense.
Husband tried that one in Arizona. Juan Martinez was the prosecutor. Needless to say, it did not work.
To the Juan Martinez fan base, this case can be found on youtube.

I have to agree with you all - I don't believe his story.

Marking my spot and putting this case on my calendar!

JUSTICE for LAUREN! :rose:

Dont be surprised if this case turns into the sleepwalking defense.
Husband tried that one in Arizona. Juan Martinez was the prosecutor. Needless to say, it did not work.
To the Juan Martinez fan base, this case can be found on youtube.

:juanettes: :juanettes:

Am I allowed to link is tumblr? He wrote about his relationship history in one post
Yes, he is named and arrested so he can be sleuthed, including linking his social media. HTH

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

His 911 call was not exactly what I'd expect if someone realized they murdered their wife of 10 months.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966