NC - Lauren Hugelmaier, 29, stabbed to death, Raleigh, 1 Sept 2017 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
His defense attorney will have fodder to work with, what with the big amount of cough syrup ingested, the dark & twisty thoughts as expressed in his social media over a period of time and probably other things they'll unearth.

Ultimately though a jury will need to decide if this guy really could have been so stoned that he stabbed his wife "in his sleep," not knowing what he was doing.

It will come down to the jurors selected during voir dire, and the experts lined up, and how well each side argues. I could see this guy getting 2nd degree, unless the state finds evidence he was pre-planning it.

I'm curious which ADA will get the case and if it will be of the ones we've seen in action before.

ADA Doug Faucette was the ADA during the arraignment hearing. I know him slightly -- he prefers to work alone on cases, but this one might be different if he is appointed to the case. Being at an arraignment doesn't necessarily mean anything, but he was the one there.

We may see a couple of heavy-hitters on this one... I'm curious, too.

I agree that 2nd degree may be the deal here.

I'm not so sure this guy will be able to muster much pity from 12 jurors... That hang-dog look will get old, IMO. But Cheshire likes to win any way he can...

These IG posts from the last months show so very deep anger and disappointment it's frightening. To me it sounds like he was ready to die and ready to kill. My guess is, he was very disappointed in the marriage, it was not what he had imagined. I think he was jealous of Lauren having family and friends, and other interests in life besides him, that he was not the center of her attention 24/7 - just like he was not the center of his mother's attention when he was little. He probably felt neglected and he was not important enough to her, even if she would do anything to show her love for him. I would imagine that over the past 6 months they had many terrible fights, or he would sulk and stonewall her. I don't know how much of what he posted to IG she saw or whether he talked about these feelings with her, but even if not she would have sensed that he's in a very dark space and it troubled and dismayed her. Yes I think he hated Lauren, I think this was an emotional murder. Whether he actually consciously wanted to kill her (premeditated), I can't say. Maybe the wish was just simmering in his unconscious and then burst through when his inhibitions were lowered or completely gone. Or maybe not. As for his sanity, I don't think he's mentally ill in the legal sense because he knew what he did was wrong. He has serious issues though, deep depression, addictive personality, borderline personality, narcissist, is my opinion as a non professional.

I feel so sad for Lauren :(

I sort of doubt he is in the closet. Once I heard about this case I didn't believe his cough medicine story and started thinking of angles to consider. Maybe she was pregnant and he had wanted to wait? They were so young I don't think life insurance plays into the picture. Could he have a new female? Could he have found out she was seeing a new man? Was she being maybe a little overly persuasive in guiding him to a more lucrative career that could support a family? Did wifey go snooping and find that her hubby was in living in the closet wanting to come out? Whatever the reason, to me a knife equates to hate/anger/vengeance. If he wanted his wife dead I think he could have asked her to take a hike and she slipped while taking in the view from the scenic overlook. For me, if he had been in closet wanting to come out (or maybe not wanting to come out), I just don't think a violent stabbing would have been the route taken. But I am often wrong in my guesses

This theory doesn't sit well with me, even though usually it's true that knife attack would equal impulsive rage and a planned attack would be staged more like an accident. For one thing, Lauren was unusual in that she still had strong interactive ties with family and friends, so she wasn't isolated like many women in her position. Looking at the fact that she was going on a cruise with girlfriends makes me think that there had been a crisis and they had tentatively separated but she agreed to keep living with him while they tried to "sort things out." IMO, he knew that eventually she would leave and wanted to save face by being a grieving widower rather than have a second wife dump him before his 30th birthday.
While some other man would have thought of the hiking trip, and made it look like an accident, I think the knife attack would have fitted into his dark fantasies and also with his obsession with lucid dreaming, he probably convinced himself that this would seem like a typical household accident.

I used to have night terrors because of pills I was taking for cholesterol or blood pressure. When I figured out what was causing them, I stopped taking those pills and my Dr prescribed a different one. Most of my night terrors are gone now. I would scream, thrash, and sometimes fall out of bed. These happened at least twice a week. My husband would hold me down and wake me up. There were a few times I actually attacked my husband thinking he was someone bad trying to kill me.. I never stabbed him though.

One of the missing links here is Lauren's state of mind over the last few weeks/ months before her death. Was she happily married and planning a baby oblivious to the danger, or did she realize she had woken up next to a monster and was trying gently to escape?
Her friends and family will be able to fill in the blank - I don't think they were deceived by him, as they acted so quickly to erase him from her life story after her death.
I'm not convinced that he made a genuine suicide attempt, or this was a "poor me" strategy. Suicide by cough syrup would take several bottles of the stuff I think.

My page 23 opinion is that he is a narcissist, which explains both his attraction to the pastor role and his belief he can get away with this. I am speculating she did something he considered unholy (if he actually has a god complex) or being(pseudo) christian has nothing to do with it and he is just a crazed wife killer. I sympathize with Lauren's family and friends and the horrible truths they will have to face as this all unfolds.

794249-DMID1-5bywo0xm4-576x720.jpg

MP's Arrest photo in what looks to be a suicide vest. In the link below, you have to toggle back to Sept. 1st.

http://www.wral.com/wake-county-nc-arrest-photos/8981628/

<modsnip>

I'm not a mod, so it's not up to me to decide whether you can post screenshots. :) If you click on the red triangle at the bottom left of each of your screenshot posts, a box will come up where you can write a message that will reach all mods. One of them will either delete your posts and/or post a message here about screenshots. You usually don't get a personal response when you report using the red triangle but it's the best way to deal with it now. I believe Sillybilly has posted here about sleuthing family and she's a mod, for future reference. Being new here is a steep learning curve. Hang in there. :)

This man is incredibly terrifying. I was able to view both of his IGs before they were locked down. IMO the marty_radical one was almost too over the top with satanism and other dark nonsense that I agree with the person that thought he was building it up to use as an insanity defense later.

This poor, sweet woman and her family. I feel for them.

Looks like there was a struggle (the mark by his lip could be cold sore tho idk)

Looks-wise he reminds me SO much of spencer Pratt. When I think of MP I literally picture spencer pratt in my head. &#62994;

Thank you! I knew he reminded me of someone "famous" but I couldn't put my finger on it. You are absolutely right FWIW. :D

He totally looks VERY similar to Spencer Pratt. I thought the same thing!

Looks like there was a struggle (the mark by his lip could be cold sore tho idk)

Looks-wise he reminds me SO much of spencer Pratt. When I think of MP I literally picture spencer pratt in my head. &#65533;&#65533;

RSBM

Is that... dried blood on his face as well ??

Makes me angry for the way she died--- I'm assuming stabbing isn't a quick death.
Possibly graphic below:

Wouldn't the victim slowly 'bleed out' unless major arteries were severed at the first cut ?
And while he was calling 911-- did he ever try to check for a pulse or see if there was any breathing or movement ?

Poor Lauren ! :stormingmad:

:moo:

Here's an excerpt from The Rules: Social Media - Facebook, Twitter, etc that explains about screenshots:

Approved SM Pages/Profiles
Individuals
Victim (missing or murdered person)
Suspect (as indicated by LE)

• Links may be used to direct members to posts made by a victim or a suspect.
  • Copying and pasting, or taking screen caps, directly from these pages is not allowed.
  • Paraphrasing is okay.
  • Posts by friends and visitors are off limits.
  • Do not link to an individual’s (victim or suspect) social media page if you are not 100% certain it belongs to the correct individual.
  • If a social media page is set to private and you get in the back way, you may not post what you find. Private means private!

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?291123-Social-Media-Facebook-Twitter-etc

Thank you! I knew he reminded me of someone "famous" but I couldn't put my finger on it. You are absolutely right FWIW. :D

let's not give spencer Pratt the joy of being called famous!!!!! &#128540; But seriously the visual similarity is bugging me out.

RSBM

Is that... dried blood on his face as well ??

Makes me angry for the way she died--- I'm assuming stabbing isn't a quick death.
Possibly graphic below:

Wouldn't the victim slowly 'bleed out' unless major arteries were severed at the first cut ?
And while he was calling 911-- did he ever try to check for a pulse or see if there was any breathing or movement ?

Poor Lauren ! :stormingmad:

:moo:

Poor Lauren, indeed. I've read and reported true crime for decades and never been so affected by a victim. Her social media posts were always bright, affectionate, smart and, above all, life-affirming. I cannot imagine the void in her family and friend's lives without her there. This is a murder with so many victims. Almost indescribably sad.

let's not give spencer Pratt the joy of being called famous!!!!! &#63004; But seriously the visual similarity is bugging me out.

Ha! "Famous" in quotes only. :D But yes, twinners for sure. I wonder if people ever said that to Matthew.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95
Back