NC - Lauren Hugelmaier, 29, stabbed to death, Raleigh, 1 Sept 2017 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Spencer Pratt, yes. Same close-set eyes.

This lady that used to work with him is defending him and says she still would trust him around her kids, interesting.
https://www.google.com/amp/abc11.com/amp/friend-defends-man-accused-in-cold-medicine-murder/2387402/

<modsnip>

He may well have once been the kind of guy she describes, but I think she'd realize he's changed a LOT if she had seen the stuff on his SM that we've seen. Seriously sick and disturbing. People change...for many reasons...and he's not the same person she once knew. I feel very sorry for people like her, trying to make sense of this. But even without having seen his SM, to say you'd trust a self-admitted drug abuser and murderer around your kids...no. Just no.
JMO

I'm very new to this site, but I've seen comments that her uncle made it very clear that he was NOT becoming a pastor. He blamed the media for creating that lie and that he had gone to a bible college and that's it.

This lady that used to work with him is defending him and says she still would trust him around her kids, interesting.
https://www.google.com/amp/abc11.com/amp/friend-defends-man-accused-in-cold-medicine-murder/2387402/

<modsnip>

From your link....

In the meantime, Duke says she thinks of 28-year-old Matthew Phelps as the only man outside her family she allowed to babysit her young daughter and son.

"That's how much that I trusted Matt and the type of man, and I still trust, it's not trusted past tense. I still trust Matt today and I would let him around my kids today," she said.

Yeah sociopaths and narcissists have a way of making you trust them, that's part of their "thing". I wonder if she's seen his alter ego Instagram page and what she makes of that, given she is a psychiatric nurse and all. I mean she WAS able to diagnose his "disassociative state" /s

Ewohgirl said:
snipped by me....
im not so sure Lauren was still alive as people are stating when she went to the hospital. each state has different laws regrding who can pronounce death andunder what circumstances. i am not from NC, but its not likely the EMTs have enough authority to call Time Of Death. My best friend is an EMT in TN and she cant call it.

Unfortunately I have some experience in this - my husband died about 11:50pm on June 5th, and the EMTs did not call TOD, I had to wait for the Sheriffs office deputy coroner to come by; and he called my husband's death at 12:02am June 6th. Just saying! I'm guessing it has to be an official coroner.

I had to google image of Spencer Pratt - Ah him! :lol:

So we wait for arraignment on Sept. 25th....

:judge:

JUSTICE for LAUREN! :rose:

Unfortunately I have some experience in this - my husband died about 11:50pm on June 5th, and the EMTs did not call TOD, I had to wait for the Sheriffs office deputy coroner to come by; and he called my husband's death at 12:02am June 6th. Just saying! I'm guessing it has to be an official coroner.

I had to google image of Spencer Pratt - Ah him! :lol:

So we wait for arraignment on Sept. 25th....

:judge:

JUSTICE for LAUREN! :rose:

I am so sorry for your loss

From your link....

In the meantime, Duke says she thinks of 28-year-old Matthew Phelps as the only man outside her family she allowed to babysit her young daughter and son.

"That's how much that I trusted Matt and the type of man, and I still trust, it's not trusted past tense. I still trust Matt today and I would let him around my kids today," she said.

Yeah sociopaths and narcissists have a way of making you trust them, that's part of their "thing". I wonder if she's seen his alter ego Instagram page and what she makes of that, given she is a psychiatric nurse and all. I mean she WAS able to diagnose his "disassociative state" /s

She is an idiot. Seriously, wtf.

<modsnip>

I'm from Raleigh and have been following this case since it started. Haven't had much to add to this thread until now. I wonder if MP's attorney or firm had anything to do with this woman coming forward. I noticed her wording and degree are quite interesting considering she is the only one so far coming to his defense. JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah sociopaths and narcissists have a way of making you trust them, that's part of their "thing".

I think you're spot on.

------------------------------------

I believe MP has been living and cultivating a double life for a very long time. As he grew up under less than ideal circumstances (parents abandoned), I believe he became an addict at a young age--I think some sort of sexual addiction. I think this explains his surface level friendships with his peers (or lack of friendships) and frustration with women. I think he poured himself into securing relationships with women because that's what he "needed" to be happy, but once he got in to those relationships he was unable to reciprocate the kind of love that he craved. He was an empty shell, always craving more attention from from women to fill the void inside. Physiologically, his addiction altered his brain as it was overloaded with dopamine on a regular basis. He became depressed, moody, and irritable--unable to even get back to a normal level of happiness or pleasure.

His strict religious upbringing solidified the divide between his real life (uncanny_matty) and his alternate life (marty_radical) and amplified the guilt, shame, and resentment he felt. If his friends/family/employers knew about his second life, surely he would lose everything. Sealed in secrecy over time, his life became more compartmentalized. Narcissistic and sociopath tendencies became more apparent as he became more and more needy for escapes from reality.

Ultimately, split between two starkly different lives, moral codes, and personalities, he no longer knew who he was. He literally began striding down the path towards insanity as he could not reconcile these two identities.

Enter LP. Bright, happy, pretty, as he was "checking her out" on Instagram, he felt that--Here she was! Here was a girl he could finally be happy with. As long as he had her affection, things would be ok. That marty_radical guy, that's not even the real me... so he turned on the uncanny_matty and dialed up the charm. Not because he loved her, but because he craved her love and what she could do for him. Honestly, he felt this way about a lot of the girls he met online, but she actually reciprocated. He did everything to get close to her, to get her to adore him. He had perfected the skill of becoming anyone he thought he needed to to be to get what he needed out of another person.

After the wedding it all came crashing down. MP thought that LP would fix him, but she was really just another fix. He was over her in a week, but continued to use her. And he continued to "check out" and possibly communicate with other women. Poor Lauren eventually becomes aware that something isn't quite right. I don't think she ever found marty_radical, but I think she was aware that uncanny_matty wasn't exactly the guy he had pretended to be before the wedding. As LP's novelty wore off, he became indifferent to her. Eventually he resented everything about her, because she became a barrier to what he thought he needed to feel good. And she made him feel guilty. Intensely guilty. She was everything the opposite of him. Truthful, open, genuine. She truly believed in God, she gave her time to her church, she loved generously. In the brilliant, pure light of LP, MP shriveled into the dark. And he embraced the dark.

In the final months leading up to that night, MP dove headlong in to marty_radical (I believe this was triggered by some sort of event--Possibly a discovery by LP). After all, marty_radical was the true MP. uncanny_matty had become the "fake identity " a long time ago (possibly before the first marriage). His anger and rage were extreme. It was her fault! She had ruined his life. She made him feel this way, and with her out of the way, he would be free to be or do anything he wanted. He hated her, hated God, and hated himself. marty_radical intentionally killed LP out of rage and resentment. In that moment he meant to destroy LP, his previously girlfriends, God, and uncanny_matty. After all, it was these things that were keeping him from enjoying life as marty_radical, the real MP.

This is all opinion/conjecture. I do not have insider information on this case--I only have a strong feeling that some elements of this narrative will be proved true in the next several months.

About the child care.... Ed Gein was also trusted by the neighbors to watch their children.

That anyone would STILL trust MP defies belief !
Guess we're all wired differently.

I wouldn't trust him to feed my cat.
:moo:

I'm very new to this site, but I've seen comments that her uncle made it very clear that he was NOT becoming a pastor. He blamed the media for creating that lie and that he had gone to a bible college and that's it.

:welcome6: to Welsleuths, SimonAlex and gray.jay!! We're glad you're here!!

:rollercoaster:

I agree. This guy clearly had mental health issues. Doesn't speak very highly of her psychiatric nursing skills. Scary ...

I'm still confused about MP's history. Was he raised by his Grandparents the first 13 years of his life? If so, what were the circumstances surrounding his parents? Always helpful to know these key details.

ETA- Great post gray.jay, I think you nailed it.

I think you're spot on.

------------------------------------

I believe MP has been living and cultivating a double life for a very long time. As he grew up under less than ideal circumstances (parents abandoned), I believe he became an addict at a young age--I think some sort of sexual addiction. I think this explains his surface level friendships with his peers (or lack of friendships) and frustration with women. I think he poured himself into securing relationships with women because that's what he "needed" to be happy, but once he got in to those relationships he was unable to reciprocate the kind of love that he craved. He was an empty shell, always craving more attention from from women to fill the void inside. Physiologically, his addiction altered his brain as it was overloaded with dopamine on a regular basis. He became depressed, moody, and irritable--unable to even get back to a normal level of happiness or pleasure.

His strict religious upbringing solidified the divide between his real life (uncanny_matty) and his alternate life (marty_radical) and amplified the guilt, shame, and resentment he felt. If his friends/family/employers knew about his second life, surely he would lose everything. Sealed in secrecy over time, his life became more compartmentalized. Narcissistic and sociopath tendencies became more apparent as he became more and more needy for escapes from reality.

Ultimately, split between two starkly different lives, moral codes, and personalities, he no longer knew who he was. He literally began striding down the path towards insanity as he could not reconcile these two identities.

Enter LP. Bright, happy, pretty, as he was "checking her out" on Instagram, he felt that--Here she was! Here was a girl he could finally be happy with. As long as he had her affection, things would be ok. That marty_radical guy, that's not even the real me... so he turned on the uncanny_matty and dialed up the charm. Not because he loved her, but because he craved her love and what she could do for him. Honestly, he felt this way about a lot of the girls he met online, but she actually reciprocated. He did everything to get close to her, to get her to adore him. He had perfected the skill of becoming anyone he thought he needed to to be to get what he needed out of another person.

After the wedding it all came crashing down. MP thought that LP would fix him, but she was really just another fix. He was over her in a week, but continued to use her. And he continued to "check out" and possibly communicate with other women. Poor Lauren eventually becomes aware that something isn't quite right. I don't think she ever found marty_radical, but I think she was aware that uncanny_matty wasn't exactly the guy he had pretended to be before the wedding. As LP's novelty wore off, he became indifferent to her. Eventually he resented everything about her, because she became a barrier to what he thought he needed to feel good. And she made him feel guilty. Intensely guilty. She was everything the opposite of him. Truthful, open, genuine. She truly believed in God, she gave her time to her church, she loved generously. In the brilliant, pure light of LP, MP shriveled into the dark. And he embraced the dark.

In the final months leading up to that night, MP dove headlong in to marty_radical (I believe this was triggered by some sort of event--Possibly a discovery by LP). After all, marty_radical was the true MP. uncanny_matty had become the "fake identity " a long time ago (possibly before the first marriage). His anger and rage were extreme. It was her fault! She had ruined his life. She made him feel this way, and with her out of the way, he would be free to be or do anything he wanted. He hated her, hated God, and hated himself. marty_radical intentionally killed LP out of rage and resentment. In that moment he meant to destroy LP, his previously girlfriends, God, and uncanny_matty. After all, it was these things that were keeping him from enjoying life as marty_radical, the real MP.

This is all opinion/conjecture. I do not have insider information on this case--I only have a strong feeling that some elements of this narrative will be proved true in the next several months.
Welcome to websleuths, great post! It shows alot of insight on your part. I too, think you nailed MP's pathological behavior. He has been on a downward spiral for years imo. I'm wondering if he finished bible college, since he followed a girlfriend or a desired girlfriend there. There are so many unanswered questions that swirl around MP's life. One of the many questions I have, is if it's true MP had a crush on Lauren in middle school as he claims. How long had he lived in nc, given he was from Bowling Green, Kentucky? Waiting to learn more about MP & that could take some time. Glad you're here with us.

About the child care.... Ed Gein was also trusted by the neighbors to watch their children.

That anyone would STILL trust MP defies belief !
Guess we're all wired differently.

I wouldn't trust him to feed my cat.
:moo:

I wouldn't trust him to clean my cat's litter box.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95
Back