NC - Lauren Hugelmaier, 29, stabbed to death, Raleigh, 1 Sept 2017 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
He looked awful as they were moving him through the courtroom. Zombie-like demeanor. I can't think of another word to describe it.

Charged with murder and held without bail. Appropriate.

What I don't understand at all is "if" he has had strange (and weird) dreams for nearly his entire life (and supposedly so did his grandmother and mother, if I remember right) .... why would he take a medication in excess that he surely knew would increase the chance for hallucinations? I am quite confident that he knew exactly what he was messing around with by taking it ... but why would he want to enhance such dreams?

Just voicing my thoughts .... not really expecting anyone to have any answer. This guy is a curiosity to me.

I don't get the impression that he was particularly ambitious, but Lauren definitely was. she wanted her own business for several years --- that might be why she got into the Scentsy stuff, and felt she was on her way.

Ok so I can speak a little on the hallucinations. I am not a medical professional... just a girl plagued with sleeping problems.

I sometimes get sleep paralaysis, which is basically the same thing as the hallucinations he's describing. It is truly a terrifying feeling (IMO) and when it happens I want nothing more than for it to stop. I was having frequent episodes a few years back and started to do some research on it. Apparently some people choose to "embrace" sleep paralysis and fight through the scary part in order to try to control their dreams and have an out of body experience. I personally could not imagine "embracing" that feeling but I guess some people do. Maybe he was trying to lucid dream, but honestly I don't believe half of the stuff on his tumblr so I am leaning towards the stories of his dreams to be just that - stories.

Also FWIW I've taken a ton of sleeping pills over the years, both OTC and prescription. From restoril, ambien, lunesta, xanax, you name it, I've been prescribed it. Prescription cough syrup with codeine, NyQuil, melatonin, zquil, I've taken them. Even the times I took more than the correct dosage, they never once made me aggressive or violent. I may or may not have eaten in my sleep on a few occasions but I can't imagine how much cough syrup one would need to take in order to go into a violent blackout rage.

All of the above is JMO and JME

Hi everyone,

Thank you for being here for Lauren.

Websleuths really needs your help at this time. Please consider giving if possible.

https://www..com/websleuths

:tyou:

Nothing about bright and lively Lauren on the second Instagram, when the first seemed to be all about her. "Marty_radical" is a, well, radical departure. But is it insanity creeping in, or a calculated paving of the way for an insanity defense?

Nothing about bright and lively Lauren on the second Instagram, when the first seemed to be all about her. "Marty_radical" is a, well, radical departure. But is it insanity creeping in, or a calculated paving of the way for an insanity defense?

I tend to go with him paving the way for the insanity defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get vibes of that horrible, calculating Josh Powell, truly one of the creepiest killers of the 21st century and a dead soul if ever there was one.

I love NIN, sad to see his instagram and his fake poor me posture during his arraignment...photos wont load for me on their site and did he write that? Creepy.

I'm on the fence on that point.

I think what pushes me to that point is his 911 call. The fact that he tells them he thinks he was sleepwalking and exactly what type of cold medicine he took and why he took more than recommended. All of it together just seems like a set up for a defense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Extremely insecure and jealous. In each relationship, he loses women to anther man. He refers to women as girls. He never mentions sex of any kind and his writing sucks. He saw the criminal minds episode. The state needs to preserve all cable and online viewing habits imo. Extremely important. This was premeditated first degree murder as most dont sleep w knives. I understand sleepwalking states as well as night terrors. Constant companions I nvr asked for. This was intentional homicide imo.

I feel as though MP has been troubled for many years, going back to his childhood. It will be interesting to learn what is fact & what is fiction in his accounts of his life experiences. I think he was a person desperate to be loved. He seemed to be looking towards marriage & children, in three of the four relationships he noted in the Tumblr account. He was barely out of high school before he became involved with women in a serious manner. I got a sense he was not realistically looking at what marriage entails & how he was going to provide financial support, without clear goals towards a profession. I'm not buying the story about multiple woman bringing up other guys names & next thing you know, they're with the guys of said name. If he hadn't said it occurred three times in a row, I could buy it, maybe for one relationship. I feel he had difficulty socially connecting with others. I said I agree with others that he was having problems with his sexual identity. I also believe he was jealous of Lauren & her success professionally, along with her ability to develop & maintain friendships. This is a brutal murder. Stabbing is up close & personal & denotes rage, & I believe MP was carrying alot of rage.

Thanks for your fine post. So glad you're here to inform & warn folks about the risk and its chilling aftermath.

:wagon:to Websleuths, Livness!! We're glad to have you with us!!

:thewave:

Trying to reconcile the first Instagram and the "engagement" story with the second dark and satanic Instagram is chilling. It seems everything was fine when they were living a literal fantasy life of Star Wars and superheroes, but when reality intruded after the marriage, things got dark and seriously twisted. I still wonder if the second Instagram was a set-up for an insanity defense, but either way, poor Lauren. She was an uncommonly bright girl with everything to live for.

What I don't understand at all is "if" he has had strange (and weird) dreams for nearly his entire life (and supposedly so did his grandmother and mother, if I remember right) .... why would he take a medication in excess that he surely knew would increase the chance for hallucinations? I am quite confident that he knew exactly what he was messing around with by taking it ... but why would he want to enhance such dreams?

Just voicing my thoughts .... not really expecting anyone to have any answer. This guy is a curiosity to me.

I don't get the impression that he was particularly ambitious, but Lauren definitely was. she wanted her own business for several years --- that might be why she got into the Scentsy stuff, and felt she was on her way.

bbm

This is a big "If" --
If he was having sexuality problems or fears, and/or if he was self-shamed in his failures & lack of accomplishments, then perhaps he did it (took too much on purpose) as an unconscious part of self-hate. If he had had any ideas of resentment of Lauren, plus shame for those thoughts, this could add to what he thought might be punishment of himself. Again, note this is not an attempt on my part to mitigate anything he man did.

Will we ever know? Will Cheshire have psychological or psychiatric evaluations done? I think both would be in order -- mitigation for his act or a plea of NG by reason of insanity. SMH. It's possible. Deep pockets, etc.

This is really an odd one.

Yes! Agree with all of this. Did you follow the Jamie Hahn case? Jamie was my friend and I imagine MP felt about Lauren like Jon Broyhill felt about Jamie(minus the romantic aspect in their case). Both men really struggled to keep a job and to make friends and they ended up murdering their biggest supporters who they witnessed experience many professional and personal successes.

I didn't realize he got fired from uber. That seems like it'd be hard to do?? Does anyone have anymore details on that??

If an uber drivers overall rating is 4.5/5 or below, their account can be deactivated. The link below doesn't say the overall rating for deactivation is 4.5 but if you google it a bunch of forums and articles will come up. I'm on mobile otherwise I'd link for you

https://www.uber.com/drive/resources/how-ratings-work/

Yes! Agree with all of this. Did you follow the Jamie Hahn case? Jamie was my friend and I imagine MP felt about Lauren like Jon Broyhill felt about Jamie(minus the romantic aspect in their case). Both men really struggled to keep a job and to make friends and they ended up murdering their biggest supporters who they witnessed experience many professional and personal successes.

I didn't realize he got fired from uber. That seems like it'd be hard to do?? Does anyone have anymore details on that??

Yes, I followed the Jamie Hahn case, in fact, I started the thread on here -- yes, there are some similarities. JB was not good-looking, or well-off, or well-liked. He wanted nice things & found a way to have them. He certainly resented Jamie because she had Nation and JB wanted him, too. Sad, horrible case. Jamie must have been something very special. She was on her way...

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...Hahn-29-stabbed-to-death-Raleigh-22-April-201

Does anyone know if the twitter account that has the same handle as his IG (uncannyMatty) is his? I tried to verify but couldn't. If it is, he certainly followed some "interesting" people, let's just say, not very conservative Christian-like. But as I said, it might not be his.

I don't think so. He seems to repeat pictures across the tumblr, IG, and alternate IG - I don't see any of the posts repeated on that twitter.

This is his twitter, but he may have alternates there too! https://twitter.com/TheMattyPhelps

I am a young pastor the same age as the defendant. I'm in seminary now. This case has kept my heart broken for days. My family is my life and I have a beautiful, sweet wife just like this guy did. How in the world someone gets so demented I will hopefully never understand.

I don't know how a person can look through that Instagram and think this was anything other than murder. That is a twisted dude who did this on purpose. I'm generally not one to jump to conclusions but, holy cow, that is a satanic obsessed, death obsessed sociopath with no job and few friends married to a Sunday school teacher with a bright smile and lots of friends and a family that thinks she hung the moon. That is a recipe for a disaster.

I just hope justice comes and comes quickly if he meant to do this. I don't wish evil onto others, in an attempt to live like Jesus, but I hope justice is swift and sure for this monster who would take out a beautiful woman. I'll hug my wife closer tonight.

This guy had been out of bible college for many years. Why did he not have a position in a church? I am curious what his explanations to Lauren were?

Also I wonder if his degree from bible college was an influence in her attraction to him? She thought he was a good Christian boy and with her strong religious upbringing that he would be the perfect husband. Even though they were from two different faiths, at least he believed in God. Today, it is difficult to find a person in their age group that is religious. IMO.

I believe he is of the Baptist faith. It may depend on different areas, however, I am aware of two divorced Baptist ministers in the South. The divorce did not hurt their career. Perhaps the reason for the divorce is the deciding factor.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuLuWooWoo
Back