NC - Loving father or abusive parent, spouse? Tales conflict in suspicious dog-leash death

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
ITA -- We certainly don't know what evidence LE/DA may have against him, but I'm betting not much. The son lived there, so his fingerprints would be on the dog's leash & collar, on the chair the where AB found his dad, and all over the house, so probably not much there. AB was in high school, so if he made negative comments about his dad, well that's not unusual -- specific threats about killing his father would be one thing, but I'm thinking there is no such evidence anywhere close to that. Plus the method of death is a bit weak -- and why wouldn't AB have kept on strangling him till he was dead? JMHO.
I don’t think he did it. If I’m wrong, though, I’m still pretty certain they don’t and won’t ever have the evidence to prove he did.

I don’t think he did it. If I’m wrong, though, I’m still pretty certain they don’t and won’t ever have the evidence to prove he did.
ITA -- We certainly don't know what evidence LE does have, but when I think about a jury hearing what we know so far, i.e., not much, I almost have to laff -- could you see the faces of some of the jurors? But a good prosecutor could paint a bad picture of the son, and hit might work -- but a good defense lawyer, OTOH, could knock a lot of it in the dirt. JMHO.

In front of a jury... think about it...

Monday, Sept. 9th:
*Motions Hearing (@ am ET) – NC – William Leslie Bishop (59) (April 18, 2018, Durham, died April 21, 2018) - *Alexander Bishop (16/now 17) son indicted (2/18/19), arrested (2/22/19), charged & arraigned (2/25/19) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. $250K unsecured bond.
An autopsy report states "ligature strangulation" as the cause of death, noting that led to a heart attack that deprived Bishop's brain of oxygen. The teen said he found his father unconscious in the theater room of the family home near Hope Valley Country Club with a dog leash wrapped around his neck and the dog still on the leash, according to records in the case. The leash wasn't on Bill Bishop when paramedics arrived at the house.
2/25/19 Update: Plead not guilty. Bond set at $250K unsecured bond, granted bail on 2/25/19. Next pretrial hearing on 7/10.
7/10/19 Update: Pretrial motions hearing Thursday (7/10) morning, Bishop's attorney asked for a speedy trial. Defense attorney Sharp also filed motions to suppress Bishop's statements to authorities & the search warrants police obtained in the case. Sharp wants the devices returned, & she also filed a motion "to view and photograph the neck structure" of Bill Bishop, which remains with the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, so a defense expert can examine it. Judge Hudson said all of the motions would be heard on Sept. 9.

Looks like this hearing was on Wed. 9/11, not 9/9 as I have. Continued to 9/12 per article

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/crime/article234811937.html

A Durham judge ruled Wednesday that a then-16-year-old’s statements to police the night his father was found unresponsive with a dog leash wrapped around his neck may be used in the murder case against him.

During a nearly 4-1/2 hour hearing Wednesday, Alexander Bishop’s attorney, Allyn Sharp, argued that her client’s statements about his relationship with his father, 59-year-old William “Bill” Bishop, and other items should be excluded from evidence.
[.....]
The decision was the first in a hearing that started Wednesday morning and will continue Thursday.
[.....]
Alexander Bishop was indicted by a grand jury Feb. 18 on a charge of first-degree murder. He was arrested four days later and was released from jail Feb. 25 on an unsecured bond.

Thursday, Sept. 12th:
*Motions Hearing Continues (@ am ET) – NC – William Leslie Bishop (59) (April 18, 2018, Durham, died April 21, 2018) - *Alexander Bishop (16/now 17) son indicted (2/18/19), arrested (2/22/19), charged & arraigned (2/25/19) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. $250K unsecured bond. Bonded out 2/25/19.
An autopsy report states "ligature strangulation" as the cause of death, noting that led to a heart attack that deprived Bishop's brain of oxygen. The teen said he found his father unconscious in the theater room of the family home near Hope Valley Country Club with a dog leash wrapped around his neck and the dog still on the leash, according to records in the case. The leash wasn't on Bill Bishop when paramedics arrived at the house.
2/25/19 Update: Plead not guilty. Bond set at $250K unsecured bond, granted bail on 2/25/19. Next pretrial hearing on 7/10.
7/10/19 Update: Pretrial motions hearing Thursday (7/10) morning, Bishop's attorney asked for a speedy trial. Defense attorney Sharp also filed motions to suppress Bishop's statements to authorities & the search warrants police obtained in the case. Sharp wants the devices returned, & she also filed a motion "to view and photograph the neck structure" of Bill Bishop, which remains with the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, so a defense expert can examine it. Judge Hudson said all of the motions would be heard on Sept. 9.
9/9/19 Update: Hearing moved to 9/11. 9/11/19: A Durham judge ruled Wednesday that Bishop's statements to police the night his father was found unresponsive with a dog leash wrapped around his neck may be used in the murder case against him. Hearing continues to 9/12.

I just heard something on the local news concerning this case -- it's not in MSM print yet. Apparently an investigator did not obtain some evidence correctly or similar, so the evidence (whatever it was) could not be used -- I'll keep an eye out.
It sounds like the evidence remaining may not be sufficient for a trial for Alexander Bishop.

Here it is --

Durham judge rules warrants invalid in dog-leash murder case. Evidence to be tossed.

By Virginia Bridges

September 16, 2019 05:50 AM

A judge found a majority of search warrants invalid and ruled that the evidence gained from them must be thrown out in the police investigation into whether a Durham teen killed his wealthy father.

After a hearing that ran over two days, Superior Court Judge Orlando Hudson ruled Monday afternoon in favor of Alexander Bishop’s motion contending that warrants were inaccurate and misleading.

“Quite frankly I believe the that the defendant has met his burden of proof,” Hudson said. “He has met every single one of the allegations that he has made. I think the evidence shows that the investigator either was untruthful or shows a reckless disregard for the truth.”

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/crime/article235004267.html#storylink=cpy

And another --

Judge finds bulk of evidence in Durham murder case may not be admissible in court
by: Crystal Price
Posted: Sep 16, 2019 / 06:20 PM EDT / Updated: Sep 16, 2019 / 06:24 PM EDT
DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) — On Monday, Superior Court Judge Orlando Hudson granted a motion to throw out a bulk of evidence in a case of a then-16-year-old boy who is being charged with killing his father in the family’s Durham home.
[...]

Defense attorney Allyn Sharp filed motions, asking the court to throw out most of the evidence in the case as she questioned if officers followed the proper procedures to get search warrants.
Sharp argued investigator Tony Huelsman made misstatements in an affidavit that $460,000 in gold was missing from the home, when the gold had been sold prior to William Bishop’s death and was not missing.

The defense claimed this misstatement allowed the police to improperly search the family’s home.

“He knew if he didn’t write the affidavits that way, there would be no basis for the finding of probable cause,” Sharp said.

The defense also claimed crucial information was omitted from affidavits and that some of the information the investigator obtained was from an unreliable source.

“What’s left in this case by removing those statements is simply a death that’s tragic but not suspicious,” Sharp said.

Judge finds bulk of evidence in Durham murder case may not be admissible in court

Thanks for the update borndem. As you probably read - I'm going on Holiday starting tomorrow thru Oct. 2nd.
51x32px-LL-35163934_getfunky.gif

So if you find anything "tag" me - as I'll be SO behind on other cases here by the time I return.... :rolleyes: as I'm leaving my laptop at home.

See you in 2 weeks! :)

Thanks for the update borndem. As you probably read - I'm going on Holiday starting tomorrow thru Oct. 2nd.
51x32px-LL-35163934_getfunky.gif

So if you find anything "tag" me - as I'll be SO behind on other cases here by the time I return.... :rolleyes: as I'm leaving my laptop at home.

See you in 2 weeks! :)
Have a wonderful time, Niner!! Try to catch a 49'ers game if you can!!
We'll miss you! :oops:..:D..:)..;)
Bon Voyage!

Hey @borndem - I'm baaaccckkkk!! LOL!

Had a good time and I did watch the Niners!!!!
60x44px-LL-68fba7f1_cheerleader3.gif

Found an article - don't know if this pertains to his 9/11/19 hearing he had.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/crime/article235508657.html

September 26, 2019 07:59 PM, Updated September 27, 2019 06:48 AM

The prosecutor in the case charging a Durham teen with killing his wealthy father last year has appealed a judge’s recent ruling to throw out most of the evidence.

Durham County Assistant District Attorney Beth Hopkins Thomas has filed a notice of appeal of Judge Orlando Hudson’s oral order to suppress evidence from 15 of roughly 20 search warrants in the murder case against Alexander Bishop, 17.
[.....]
Tony Huelsman (lead detective) is accused of using false information to obtain search warrants in his investigation of Alexander Bishop, charged in the murder of his father Bill Bishop, which includes a mistake in a suspicion of missing gold, on Friday, Sep. 13.
[.....]
After two days of testimony, Hudson granted Sharp’s motion and asked her to draft the order, which hasn’t been finalized.

“Quite frankly, I believe that the defendant has met his burden of proof,” Hudson said. “I think the evidence shows that the investigator either was untruthful or shows a reckless disregard for the truth.”
[.....]
The N.C. Court of Appeals reviews cases appealed from superior and district courts. The 15 judges on the court hear cases as a three-judge panel that considers whether the trial court correctly applied the law.

If one member of the panel dissents in the decision, then there is an option to appeal to the Supreme Court of North Carolina.

If the judgment is unanimous, then an appeal to the next level would only move forward if the Supreme Court agrees to hear it.

unfortunately no further court dates in the article....

So glad you had such a good time in that amazing city -- and you saw your Niners, too!! :) :D ;)

That's an interesting article -- I've watched (here's his whole title -- he is The One in Durham County jurisprudence!) Durham County Senior Resident Superior Court Judge Orlando F. Hudson, Jr. in trials before -- he's very experienced, obviously well-regarded, and he has always seemed fair and unbiased when I have seen him at trial. (Our local TV stations often stream major trials, so I've been able to watch him several times -- he usually gets The Big Ones.)
Ooops, sound like the detective may have been a bit too eager, or too hurried, or both. If this event were indeed a murder, justice may suffer. If this were as Alexander said it was, then maybe justice will prevail.
I'll bet the prosecutor is hopping mad...

Can you get into the court site @borndem or have I asked you that before.... :rolleyes:
TIA! Just wondering if he has another court date coming up.

I saw it too and am surprised, at the least, that they are willing to risk the negative publicity.

Was there something early on about Bill Bishop’s relationship with his mother? It’s niggling at me, but I can’t find an article mentioning her.

I'm late to the party but since I just read through everything, I wanted to answer this...

The filing also states that Seel may have enticed Bill Bishop’s mother to nominate her as collector by telling her that the estate would allow her to keep her home, which Bill Bishop owned.

Bishop had been estranged from his mother for 20 years, and she didn’t attend his funeral and has only met his sons once when they were 3 and 15 months, the sons’ filing states.

Read more here: https://www.heraldsun.com/news/local/crime/article215915980.html#storylink=cpy

Can you get into the court site @borndem or have I asked you that before.... :rolleyes:
TIA! Just wondering if he has another court date coming up.
Just checked -- nothing there for his name on the docket.

I'm late to the party but since I just read through everything, I wanted to answer this...

The filing also states that Seel may have enticed Bill Bishop’s mother to nominate her as collector by telling her that the estate would allow her to keep her home, which Bill Bishop owned.

Bishop had been estranged from his mother for 20 years, and she didn’t attend his funeral and has only met his sons once when they were 3 and 15 months, the sons’ filing states.

Read more here: https://www.heraldsun.com/news/local/crime/article215915980.html#storylink=cpy
Thanks so much for finding this!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
centinel
Back